Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Ok so now that we know that you all met, how did you decide to form a Krewe. My suggestion would be if an event threw you together initially, say a Ghost Eater or a Reaper going after someone you all know. But whatever you guys think is best. At this point we should also start thinking about the other members of the Krewe, if you could each come up with a name and a brief concept of at least one living and dead member. Stats can follow later.
Finally for now we can also start thinking about three Doctrines and a virtue and vice for the Krewe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
Pete comes to the Krewe from a place of skepticism. He's a lapsed Catholic, and he recognizes the comfort that ritual can bring. If the Krewe takes a more explicitly religious bent, he'll still be there, but it will take him time to buy in completely. He's looking for something more akin to a support group or social club. He recognizes that his previous life was lacking in a lot of things, and is looking to make connections, so forming a Krewe is a means to that end -- he's in no matter what.

Where Doctrines are concerned, I think "Take only what the Dead give willingly" would gel with both a Necropolitan and a Mourner viewpoint.

I will put forth some NPC suggestions once the shape of the group's beliefs are a little clearer.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I would imagine a bad shooting or car crash made a large influx of ghosts arrive drove the formation of the Krewe to organize things

NPC:

Living: Alexia Gupta, up and coming crime reporter in town focusing on the city politics
Dead: Sidney Johnson, she lost her life in a fire helping people get out

The "Take only what the Dead give willingly" sounds good to me. I'm not really sure about a doctrine myself this was one of the areas of the book I had the most questions or wanted some more example doctrines.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

JesterOfAmerica posted:

I would imagine a bad shooting or car crash made a large influx of ghosts arrive drove the formation of the Krewe to organize things

NPC:

Living: Alexia Gupta, up and coming crime reporter in town focusing on the city politics
Dead: Sidney Johnson, she lost her life in a fire helping people get out

The "Take only what the Dead give willingly" sounds good to me. I'm not really sure about a doctrine myself this was one of the areas of the book I had the most questions or wanted some more example doctrines.

Same, when I get home I'm going to look over it again. I'll have my npcs posted on Wednesday when I'm off work, I have my ghost one pretty well set, but need some time for my moral member

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Doctrine:

Defend those who cannot fight for themselves

Marcus Willis

Marcus died in the riots of '68. Bashed in the head by cops, thrown into a paddy wagon and left to bleed out in a cell in the 3rd district police station. Marcus is a font of knowledge on not just the police, but the restless spirits in Oak Woods Cemetery right across the road where he's buried,

Aspirations: Bring down a corrupt cop
Help put a restless ghost to rest

Virtue: Dogged
Vice: Focused

Anchors: Grave, The cell he died in.

P: 2 F:2 R: 5

Manifestation: Image

Numia:
Hallucination
Implant Mission
Sign

Dontrelle Higgins
Concept: Bike Messenger and Urban Explorer

Dontrelle is always going where he's not supposed to and also filming it. Abandonded buildings, factories, the tiny bits of wilderness that have reclaimed abandonded manufacturing centers or even residential neighborhoods. Anyplace creepy that hasn't seen a human in some time is Dontrelle's catnip.

It was this urge to explore that brought him into Tabby's life, when he stumbled onto a sacrificial cult she had been tracking. Roughed up and captured by the cultists, he was all set to be their next victim before she busted in and took down the cultists. Having seen first hand some of the crazy poo poo that lurked in the darkness, Dontrelle gladly became her eyes and ears as well as a trusted friend.

Aspiration: Hit 100K subscribers on youtube

Street Knowledge 4
Biking 5
Local History 3

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
How about "Make a home for those who need it" as a Doctrine?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I like that

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, I think those three work. Combined, they make for a krewe whose doctrinal focus is on altruism and active charity, which I think fits. Theologically, Abe at least would be putting forward the idea that it's the job of everyone to try and build Heaven, because what we have clearly isn't sufficient. The idea of 'Heaven' being something that can be applied in both the living and dead worlds. He probably takes it the most seriously of everyone in terms of a religious thing. The krewe itself may be more spiritual than religious, but for Abe this is a calling of faith, as he reconciles his Judaism with what he's learned of the afterlife. (He also doesn't proselytize that part, so much as it's the angle he approaches things from.)

Krewe members to follow, at work now.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I think they work, but I'd like to see some aspect of "Make right what has gone wrong". I'd like to see not just helping people who need help (although certainly that), but trying to fix the conditions that led them to need help in the first place.

Ideas for krewe members when I get home.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

I think they work, but I'd like to see some aspect of "Make right what has gone wrong". I'd like to see not just helping people who need help (although certainly that), but trying to fix the conditions that led them to need help in the first place.

Ideas for krewe members when I get home.

I'm fine with morphing my proposed doctrine into something like that. Tabby is very much about punching faces of bad people so that what happened to her doesn't happen to anyone else. She's not religious, in her previous life the church was just a place to make connections. Currently, she'd be more interested in rituals and ceremonies that celebrate life, especially if it allows her to drum.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Screamo religious services are incoming

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
Krewe NPCs:

Malcolm Lewis is a recovering addict. In the depths of a particularly long binge, he was convinced that the disappointed specters of his parents were haunting him -- trouble is, they were still hanging around when he sobered up, and poor old Malcolm is a medium. We're helping him keep clean, and putting his gifts to good use.

Karol is anchored to a tarnished, silver pocketwatch. There's an inscription in Czech on the cover indicating that it was given to someone named Ignác, but he refuses to talk about it with us. A former worker in the old Union Stockyard.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Maria Paphides, the "Princess of Greektown", was a teenager when she was murdered in 1932. The case got all sorts of attention in the city, but was never solved.

Phillip Rizzo is a grad student in sociology at the University of Chicago, with that kind of haunted, harried look you see so often in grad students. He started studying the krewe as a research idea, and for drawn into it.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I think Loyalty works as a good vice. The Krewe finds it easy to do the small things in keeping the group together.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Those all sound good to me.
The next step is to distribute 6 points of stats in Power, Resistance, and Finesse for the Krewes stats, getting one in each stat for free. We can also pick out seven dots in Krewe merits right now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My vote is heavy resistance or power, depending on how reactive/ proactive we plan on being. Split the rest between finesse and the second choice evenly.

From an ic perspective, safe place will be great, because then tabby has a reliable place to sleep.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1. Resistance
2. Power
3. Finesse

On merits, I think we get safe place 1 for free. Aside from that I think a Status merit would be good

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm off work Sunday, I'm going to go through and look at krew merits

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

JesterOfAmerica posted:

1. Resistance
2. Power
3. Finesse

On merits, I think we get safe place 1 for free. Aside from that I think a Status merit would be good

Safe place 1 is indeed free.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
So here are the Merits you can take as a Krewe: Allies (1 to 5 dots, repeatable), Cenote (1 to 5 dots), Contacts (1 dot repeatable), Good Time Management (1 dot), Library (1 to 3 dots, repeatable), Resources (1 to 5 dots), Safe Place (1 dot free, up to 5 dots), Status (1 to 5 dots, repeatable), Supernatural Membership (1 to 5 dots).
You can take the repeatable merits more than once in different areas, so multiple groups of allies for example. Supernatural Membership is what allows you to have psychics and mediums in your Krewe, two for each dot spent.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I think we need some status, Cenote and Good Time Management.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Contacts or allies are always useful. And I think somebody had an idea for a medium in the krewe, so we'd need Supernatural Membership i we went that way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cenote is a must have, I'd also sink at least another point into safe space. Contacts and allies can give us a way to branch out from our character concepts.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Cenote 2
Safe Space 1
Supernatural Membership 1

Is this generally ok?

That leaves us 3 dots to fiddle with for Contacts/Allies/Status

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Look like great. What type of contacts would we have a krew? How do we usually address the problems that find us?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Looks good to me. And I think that our general party composition suggests that our areas of largest social focus are probably the antiques and collecting communities or the poor youth of the city.

Still working on those NPCs, this week has been hellishly busy.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Just a bunch of poor antiquers.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
We can also wait to nail down the exact Contacts and the last members in play. I'm also open to changing around stats after the first adventure so people don't feel locked in.
I want to try to keep things moving, so I'd like to get ready to start the IC thread to keep up our momentum. I think one of the best ways to do that is to start the game off with you in danger, and with relatively limited options, afterwards the setting will open up and you'll have more freedom to pursue your goals. With that said.

How will I ever get out if this labyrinth
Something went wrong. You came down to the Underworld for something. Dangerous, but usually worth it. But this time it all went to poo poo. Now someone's on the verge of death, you are someplace you shouldn't be, and someone's on your tail.

Everybody answer one question to set up the situation at the start of the game.
Who is almost dead, one of you, someone else from the Krewe, someone you brought with you, or someone you found down here?
What did you come down here for, why did you think it was here, and who wanted it?
What did you find instead, was it where what you came down here was supposed to be, or did you stumble upon it?
Who is following you, are they trying to catch you, or just keep an eye on you?
Who runs Perinthia, the River City you are close to, and what will they demand from you if you seek to enter?

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

neaden posted:

Who is almost dead, one of you, someone else from the Krewe, someone you brought with you, or someone you found down here?

We found James Oliver, another Sin-Eater in the city part of a krewe that usually frequents the south side of the city.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

neaden posted:

Who is following you, are they trying to catch you, or just keep an eye on you?

We're being followed by a Reaper, named Cheek's Last Tear. We don't know its other name. It knows we're down here. It's fine with that. It knows we want to go back to the surface. It's less fine with that. It's keeping an eye on us for now, stalking us, but when we try to get out of here, it will try to stop us, unless we either defeat it, evade it, or persuade it to let us go.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What did you come down here for, why did you think it was here, and who wanted it?

The Deathmask of The Writhing Maggot, a geist who pushed it's host into betraying it's krew, only one member of the krew, allies of our own, escaped to tell the story. He wanted to be sure the geist had been destroyed during the battle at the Room of a Thousand Windows. James Oliver was part of that same krew!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

neaden posted:

Who runs Perinthia, the River City you are close to, and what will they demand from you if you seek to enter?

That'd be the Queen of the Drowned, who has ruled Perinthia for a long time. Her price is dear - we will need to help her in her efforts to build a fleet of riverboats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay work was unexpectedly hectic this week, but back to normal now. The IC thread is up now here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872809
As I said in that thread I'm leaving the details of whatever happened earlier vague and up to you as a group to define or not. If anyone wants to switch around anything on their character during this adventure that's also fine, just don't abuse it to do anything silly.

• Locked thread