Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dramicus posted:

It's alright, a typical, solid stronghold game. Except there's nothing particularly Japanese about the game. It mostly depicts ancient China and Chinese architecture, units, etc.

Oh whoops, I had it in my head that it included the Japanese without even looking at anything but a couple of screenshots.

Well, cool to know at any rate! Did you or anyone else happen to know of any Japanese based RTSes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Played the first two missions of the Godsworn campaign. Some scattered thoughts:

- Voice acting has a pretty wide range of quality
- Subtitles were often different than what the characters said
- A side quest was acknowledged as complete but didn't do anything
- Battles are slow with low damage and long spell cooldowns
- The game forces you to control territory outside of your main base by limiting the number of workers you put on each gathering structure, as well as preventing you from building the same gathering structure near itself.
- Workers are made automatically and until they're given orders they will worship at your main structure to generate the resource that is spent to cast spells and build non-human units.
- Player colors on the minimap need to be changed to contrast more with the terrain.
- Campaign is built for 2 player co-op
- Allied ai in co-op is functional but not great. It will defend itself and follow your army but it will also get stuck attacking walls and will never retreat from a losing battle.

It's fun right now, excited to see it develop.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 2, 2024

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Oh whoops, I had it in my head that it included the Japanese without even looking at anything but a couple of screenshots.

Well, cool to know at any rate! Did you or anyone else happen to know of any Japanese based RTSes?

Depends on what you are looking for in an RTS. There's the Nobunaga's Ambition series (currently on sale as luck would have it) which is a bit like Total war, with a strategic layer and a battle layer but the battles are the weakest part, nothing like in Shogun.

There's also Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. But it's more of a real-time stealth game where you control a couple ninjas, a bit like the Commandos games, but set in the Sengoku period.

In a more general RTS sense, there's also Age of Empires 4 where you can play as Japan amongst other nations.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 2, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I was looking more for general RTSes, yeah, looks like in AOE4's case Japan's in the DLC... but that's cool too I'll definitely pick it up next time I see it on sale!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gonna bring up an old classic I love, it has its issues but I don't care because nostalgia carries it for me: Battle Realms, by Liquid Entertainment.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

toasterwarrior posted:

Gonna bring up an old classic I love, it has its issues but I don't care because nostalgia carries it for me: Battle Realms, by Liquid Entertainment.

It's currently being "remade" (new/heavily modified engine) by its original lead dev on Steam. Technically in early access but the whole game's there.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1025600/Battle_Realms_Zen_Edition/

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Deakul posted:

I was looking more for general RTSes, yeah, looks like in AOE4's case Japan's in the DLC... but that's cool too I'll definitely pick it up next time I see it on sale!

AOE3 Japan is pretty fun. A whole different way of gathering resources because they cannot hunt, Daimyo who can act as mobile castles, and some interesting trade cards.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Why can't they hunt

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

It's currently being "remade" (new/heavily modified engine) by its original lead dev on Steam. Technically in early access but the whole game's there.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1025600/Battle_Realms_Zen_Edition/

Yeah I got it WL'd, gonna grab it when I get some cash one day. I owe it to the dev for many hours played as a kid.

Man, I love how they made it so unit models "floated" around each other when in melee in order to create this illusion of dynamic melee combat. Dudes were cooking.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

verbal enema posted:

Why can't they hunt

Honour

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

verbal enema posted:

Why can't they hunt

They build shrines instead which attract nearby animals and provide a trickle of resources without killing the animal

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Why can't they hunt

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_meat_consumption_in_Japan

Trying to model the general ban and taboo on eating meat during the earlier period 3 covers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah I got it WL'd, gonna grab it when I get some cash one day. I owe it to the dev for many hours played as a kid.

Man, I love how they made it so unit models "floated" around each other when in melee in order to create this illusion of dynamic melee combat. Dudes were cooking.

Yeah, Battle Realms and Metal Fatigue remain some of the only RTS games where it actually looked like your dudes were fighting instead of just slashing until HP go down.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Pretty fun Skirmish. I was actually on the verge of losing, with my only option being an attempted assassination on the Baron that was failing because he'd detected it. The Fremen were about to win, then all of a sudden they were eliminated by an assassination. I thought it was the Harkonnen's, but turned out it was the Smugglers! Basically allowed me to win the game...thanks Smugglers.

No surprise the Harkonnen's were bloodthirsty.

The Pipsisewah
Dec 13, 2022
While Warlords is being discussed, what's the verdict on that as compared to just replaying Crusader again? I don't think this is a controversial opinion but for me Crusader skirmish trail is like the platonic ideal of Stronghold and a lot of the subsequent games have failed to measure up.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
A lot of smaller RTSes being known as more 'chill' is just there not being a big competitive scene to develop a well known competitive meta/culture. Like, StarCraft 1 wasn't known as some super difficult 300 APM pro-only RTS right when it came out, it developed that reputation as its competitive scene exploded in Korea and became relatively well known among PC gamers in the West. Similarly, Dota was originally viewed as just another casual-ish little hero custom that people played like Aeon of Strife, Tides of Blood, Enfos, etc; It became known for being difficult as it got more popular and people took it more seriously.

So if there was a large Dune: Spice Wars competitive scene with big money tournaments, you'd probably see roughly the same things you see in other RTSes with a large competitive scene.

Edit: basically, RTSes are usually chill when they don't hit critical (competitive) mass and so end up culturally chill, moreso than being chill because of the mechanics themselves imo.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 4, 2024

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Spice Wars is fun but I kinda feel that the games do go a bit long. Maybe I'm just terrible at actually winning them though. Conquest feels like it would be a slog? But I've only tried one match which took around 2-3Hours?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Everyone needs more Brood War in their life.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Competitive culture ruins everything

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does WARNO have a pause function? And if so, can you issue demands while you pause? It looks right up my alley but despite years of efforts I just don't really enjoy RTS's without the ability to pause and think once in a while

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Does WARNO have a pause function? And if so, can you issue demands while you pause? It looks right up my alley but despite years of efforts I just don't really enjoy RTS's without the ability to pause and think once in a while

In single player, yes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

In single player, yes.

Awesome, thank you!!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Negostrike posted:

Competitive culture ruins everything

GiantGrantGames did a survey (didn't post his methods, so take it with a grain of salt), and the overwhelming majority of RTS players are only interested in single player campaigns, yet a lot of newer RTSes are outright skipping them because they want to focus on the competitive scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XehNK7UpZsc

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Cicero posted:

A lot of smaller RTSes being known as more 'chill' is just there not being a big competitive scene to develop a well known competitive meta/culture. Like, StarCraft 1 wasn't known as some super difficult 300 APM pro-only RTS right when it came out, it developed that reputation as its competitive scene exploded in Korea and became relatively well known among PC gamers in the West. Similarly, Dota was originally viewed as just another casual-ish little hero custom that people played like Aeon of Strife, Tides of Blood, Enfos, etc; It became known for being difficult as it got more popular and people took it more seriously.

So if there was a large Dune: Spice Wars competitive scene with big money tournaments, you'd probably see roughly the same things you see in other RTSes with a large competitive scene.

Edit: basically, RTSes are usually chill when they don't hit critical (competitive) mass and so end up culturally chill, moreso than being chill because of the mechanics themselves imo.

it'll be even worse, because tactical whining and bitching is like 90% of the chatting in that game

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

GiantGrantGames did a survey (didn't post his methods, so take it with a grain of salt), and the overwhelming majority of RTS players are only interested in single player campaigns, yet a lot of newer RTSes are outright skipping them because they want to focus on the competitive scene.

It's been a truism forever that 8/10 video game players will never touch multiplayer.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, what really gives RTS games longevity is having a cool skirmish/compstomp mode. I'd also bet that what gave Starcraft and Warcraft their big scenes was custom mode, much more than their competitive scenes.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I can count on one hand the number of straight up competitive skirmishes I've played in SC1/2.

Compare that to thousands upon thousands of custom maps/modes.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I played RA2 multiplayer against my brother once and Starcraft multiplayer with a friend maybe twice (first time 1 on 1, second us vs the cpu). Otherwise, just skirmish.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That was Relic's findings ages back too, SP and skirmish are what most people play but so many RTS tried to be the next e-sport. Of course, the irony there is that Relic's games are the only ones in the genre that I play PVP so...

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Spice Wars is fun but I kinda feel that the games do go a bit long. Maybe I'm just terrible at actually winning them though. Conquest feels like it would be a slog? But I've only tried one match which took around 2-3Hours?

If you know the mechanics, try it at 1.5x speed, it still runs a bit but that's only if things get intense, and players start getting dropped.

Matches will drop to 45mins - 1.5 hour

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Playing RTS multiplayer stresses me out something fierce. I hate it. But I love to watch commentary videos of strategy matches. The duality of man or something i dunno

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've played enough multiplayer games that honestly, most RTS and TBS games i can't really play single player anymore. it's just too dull without an adaptive human on the other side

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jeeeezus, that Age of Sigmar game is already 80% off, you rarely see sales like that anymore. It sure tanked, huh?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Jeeeezus, that Age of Sigmar game is already 80% off, you rarely see sales like that anymore. It sure tanked, huh?

I got it in a humble bundle and it's not very good. The graphics are nice, but the gameplay is like a simplified dawn of war 3. Also I don't like most of the factions. The sigmarines are alright, but the other 3 are inferior versions compared to Warhammer fantasy.

They made the orks boring. How the gently caress does one manage that?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Anyone played Classified 44?

It quietly launched and is already getting sales and seems to have been pretty well received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Alchenar posted:

Anyone played Classified 44?

It quietly launched and is already getting sales and seems to have been pretty well received.

Oh I've played it. A lot.

I've was testing it since it was in Alpha. If you find the game too hard, blame me.