Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
I have a setup where I sit in my living room on the ground floor and my computer, network, and A/V poo poo is all in my basement. This is cool because my cables and mess are all mostly hidden in the basement and my living room is just a sofa and speakers and big-rear end TV. I use a wireless trackball and keyboard to interface with the computer, as well as 360 and steam controllers.

This all works pretty well except for voice chat.

Currently if i absolutely need to voice chat I will use discord on my phone and wear a bluetooth earpiece. This allows me 5.1 game sound and chat in my ear.

It would be extremely great if I could set up my pc audio to work so that game chat and/or certain apps would work over a headset while the main game or main system audio would still come over HDMI or whatever to my main receiver.

Is there a practicable way to make this work? I've been wondering if installing a sound card would work for this. Does windows only handle one sound out or can you set multiple outs for different apps? I figure if the xbox could do 5.1 + voice-in-ear ten years ago, there must be a way to make it work on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Windows allows for the use of multiple soundcards. The main limitation is that one sound source can only go to one output. This shouldn't matter for your uses.

Newer versions of Windows 10 even have this for per app input/output settings:

On other versions of Windows you've got the complication that Windows doesn't have those per app settings, but only a single global default. Other outputs can then only be used simultaneously if the app itself lets you pick them in its own settings/config. This will certainly be the case for whatever voice chat app you want to use.

You can go with some cheap usb mic in/headphone out soundcard thingy if you want to use a wired headset, or get a headset that already has usb, but in essence pairing your bluetooth headset with your pc should equally give you an additional input/output combo to choose from.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You can probably do this with Voicemeeter or its more advanced version, Voicemeeter Banana.
Don't ask me how, though. I just know it's what the LP subforum flocked to after Virtual Audio Cable went out of vogue.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That's for when you want single/multiple sound sources to go to multiple/single destinations. Basically for a setup where you want to record/broadcast both the sound of your game and the sound in your mic to a single file or streaming service. Or when you want multiple usb mics (separate audio devices!) to record to a single program. That sort of thing.

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
Just select your headset as input and output device right in discord which would run on your PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Thanks for the ideas! Maybe I'll mess with it this weekend.

• Locked thread