Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I am at the culmination of More than Nothing. I'm starting to see why so many people seem to skip this quest on subsequent playthroughs. And I'm using a guide, I can't imagine how long this would take otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Gerblyn posted:

It's usually conjuration spells that ignore SR, which I guess is why it's so popular a school!

No I know but it makes no internal sense/has no consistency whatsoever, which is very funny but also infuriating to me.
Like, why does chucking a block of spontaneously created ice directly at someone's noggin isn't "a magical Thing that can be shrugged off via SR", but chucking a ball of spontanous fire in their general direction is ? An acid arrow : not magic. An acid breath ? Well, magic, obviously.

Brace yourself : teleporting someone's weapon from their hand into yours (Swipe, a Conj. spell that is not in the game but exists in the tabletop) ? NOT BLOODY MAGIC.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kobal2 posted:

No I know but it makes no internal sense/has no consistency whatsoever, which is very funny but also infuriating to me.
Like, why does chucking a block of spontaneously created ice directly at someone's noggin isn't "a magical Thing that can be shrugged off via SR", but chucking a ball of spontanous fire in their general direction is ? An acid arrow : not magic. An acid breath ? Well, magic, obviously.

Brace yourself : teleporting someone's weapon from their hand into yours (Swipe, a Conj. spell that is not in the game but exists in the tabletop) ? NOT BLOODY MAGIC.

There's a certain kind of logic to it, though it's absolutely not applied consistently because this is Paizo we're talking about, nothing they make has any consistency to it. Swipe doesn't check SR because it's not affecting the target, but their weapon, and weapons don't have Spell Resistance. As for Conjuration vs. Evocation, the difference is that Conjuration attack spells summon the material from an extraplanar source (yes, there are planes of both ice and acid), so the material is nonmagical, whereas Evocation attack spells create the material from nothing, which is why SR applies.

And to reiterate, there are absolutely plenty of examples where these rules are broken, because Paizo never cross-checks their books when editing, also the Angel spells were created from whole cloth by Owlcat and presumably they just wanted them to ignore SR so they made them Conjuration spells.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

EclecticTastes posted:

Swipe doesn't check SR because it's not affecting the target, but their weapon, and weapons don't have Spell Resistance.

But you have to make a CMB check, so obviously their holder is able to resist the teleport physically... somehow...
Why not supernaturally also ?

(I guess by holding their weapon so dang hard, it can't be magically teleported ? Because that's how teleporting works, folks. If someone tries to Plane Shift you to the Plane of Rusty Knives, just hang on real tight to like a pillar or something, and that will save you.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So this came up in the modding channel of the discord

Despite prodding, however, none of us can recall or have seen this supposed "Yeah we won't update Mythic Paths till the Definitive Edition." Which would also be the first anyone has ever heard of a WOTR definitive edition.

I mean... I'm down for it, Owlcat, my resume is still in your hands, I will work on this poo poo. But also, yeah, big "Source?" energy here.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Onmi posted:

Despite prodding, however, none of us can recall or have seen this supposed "Yeah we won't update Mythic Paths till the Definitive Edition." Which would also be the first anyone has ever heard of a WOTR definitive edition.

I mean... I'm down for it, Owlcat, my resume is still in your hands, I will work on this poo poo. But also, yeah, big "Source?" energy here.

It's what they will call the game when they release some free content alongside the last DLC
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1184370/discussions/0/4349988819856332122/#c4349988995742758169

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Phlegmish posted:

I am at the culmination of More than Nothing. I'm starting to see why so many people seem to skip this quest on subsequent playthroughs. And I'm using a guide, I can't imagine how long this would take otherwise

You do it that way once then you just download the puzzle solving mod. Then you grow tired of that and use Toybox to just give you the crystals or teleport to the final room.

“Oh I just kill her in Act 1” yes yes “I don’t like you die” is the lazy option but she’s cleared so many rooms for me. How could I not get stuck being her research assistant.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I always do all the (Good Guy) content

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Since I hit the level cap right at the start of Act 5, and I have almost 7 million gold at this point, there wasn't much point to me finishing the quest from a mechanical point of view. I didn't even get the Grain of Sand achievement. Narratively, I feel like they could have done more with it as well. Despite Nenio's supposed existential crisis, you don't really interact with her any differently after it's over (outside of a few lines), there are no permanent (de)buffs, your companions don't react, her portrait is still exactly the same, etc. Disappointing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Since I hit the level cap right at the start of Act 5, and I have almost 7 million gold at this point, there wasn't much point to me finishing the quest from a mechanical point of view. I didn't even get the Grain of Sand achievement. Narratively, I feel like they could have done more with it as well. Despite Nenio's supposed existential crisis, you don't really interact with her any differently after it's over (outside of a few lines), there are no permanent (de)buffs, your companions don't react, her portrait is still exactly the same, etc. Disappointing.

This is honestly a big issue still in the game. Several updates ago, you didn't even get the Spine of Savamelekh Bow for Lann/Wenduag after their final quest. until the last major patch the conclusion to Woljiff's arc didn't Give him the Demon powers if he submitted to grandpappy

Act 5 still feels very empty

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Onmi posted:

So…what’s the idea to fix it?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

So…what’s the idea to fix it?

I dunno, the existence of a planned "Definitive Edition" was what caught us. We knew the final DLC was coming with an update but we didn't expect it to do too much to the main scenario beyond the Kenabres stuff. And granted, it still might only do that and adjustments here and there, but they may rescale the whole Mythic progression (something we definitely didn't expect) so Mythic 10 exists for more than just a blink at the end of the game.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Onmi posted:

I dunno, the existence of a planned "Definitive Edition" was what caught us. We knew the final DLC was coming with an update but we didn't expect it to do too much to the main scenario beyond the Kenabres stuff. And granted, it still might only do that and adjustments here and there, but they may rescale the whole Mythic progression (something we definitely didn't expect) so Mythic 10 exists for more than just a blink at the end of the game.

Oh heck if that's true then I have a little bit of hope. They did promise that any of the path fixes wouldn't be a DLC since everyone should get access to them. But people just read that as nothing will happen because most were assuming development will stop with the last DLC.

But if they are releasing it with a big patch with lots of fixes and revamps then that's pretty cool. I guess this is what the "Enhanced" edition should have been, but I suppose we'll just have to see. I can't imagine it'll fix most of the problems but if its even a little bit of an improvement it'll be something.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They already walked back promised improvements to the late mythic paths when the enhanced edition released. I have no faith they'll do something extensive like significantly changing the mythic pacing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SettingSun posted:

They already walked back promised improvements to the late mythic paths when the enhanced edition released. I have no faith they'll do something extensive like significantly changing the mythic pacing.

Oh yeah, my initial thing was "Source?" And even then we're... aware of Owlcat not always delivering. Like the company but they do occasionally promise more than they can deliver. Like I hope so? I mean I wish they'd keep releasing DLC/updating the game (unless they're making a 3rd Pathfinder game) but yeah my expectations were "Okay they're gonna drop the Kenabres bit and it'll be fun and cute but wont fix any of the issues."

After having this I still don't think they'll fix any of the issues but I hope they do!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'm restarting as a Traditional Monk Vampire lady and I'm gonna level up my companions my own goddamn way!!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Well they never said they would redo pacing I think? That was just what people were hoping for because its something the game desperately needed.. They did promise late game path improvements which did not pan out, the cut material was even datamined so we know what some of those were supposed to be.

So I guess if nothing else they could finish the Gold Dragon/Devil/etc stuff they were previously working on which would be better than nothing. You're absolutely right that our expectations should be low since we've been down this road with the enhanced edition before. But the fact that we're getting any update at all as opposed to nothing, is a nice and very unexpected surprise.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 19, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finally finished the game, clocking in at 125 hours. Wow. What an experience, I'm glad I decided to put in the effort at the start to familiarize myself with the mechanics.

At the same time, I'm not surprised only 11.4% of people who own the game ever got to the end. You finish this game, even if it's on Story Mode or whatever the lowest difficulty is, you've earned it. It's constantly throwing new quests, mechanics, characters, areas, and entire game modes at you. It can get overwhelming.

Anyway, playing in RTWP mode I tended to underutilize Nenio, but I did get some of those meme moments:

Going to be telling my grandchildren about the time I crit for 406 damage:

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Congrats. Did you never expand the other 2 toolbars?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You mean the ones on the left? Sometimes they popped up by accident, but then I just clicked to make them go away. Would have been too easy, I call this the no toolbar challenge.

A more serious answer is that I never bothered to customize my UI all that much, as said I criminally underutilized my arcane caster. I mostly just relied on the OP-ness of my builds to steamroll encounters, and that worked 90% of the time. This was on the default difficulty, I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten away with it on core settings.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In my most recent casual game I kept my party to mostly martial/support specifically so I didn't have to manage all the toolbar minutiae.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I took some time to collect my thoughts and write a Steam review:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/656549/recommended/1184370/

quote:

Back in 2019, I finished Pathfinder: Kingmaker with mixed feelings. It was an amazingly challenging, deep game with unique mechanics, but I find games with overall time limits to be very stressful, and I struggled to complete the final section without lowering the difficulty, both of which ultimately left a sour taste in my mouth. Therefore, I did not immediately jump on Wrath of the Righteous upon its release. However, I eventually heard that there was no time limit in the sequel, and as I am a big CRPG fan, I decided to give it a chance after all.

The first thing that I would emphasize is that this absolutely is not a game for everyone, even if you're a habitual CRPG player. Many of its strengths can also be seen as weaknesses or flaws, depending on your perspective or attitude going in. Wrath of the Righteous is challenging even on the default difficulty, and you will need to familiarize yourself with the mechanics to successfully complete it. Of course, it helps if you're already familiar with tabletop Pathfinder, which is mechanically also quite similar to various editions of D&D, so you do have an advantage if you are a CRPG veteran, considering how many of them are D&D-based.
The game has a habit of regularly throwing entirely new quests, characters, areas, and entire game modes at you, which can contribute to the player feeling overwhelmed, especially at the beginning. For example, you will be introduced to Crusade Mode fairly quickly, which is a sort of Heroes of Might and Magic-lite that you have to run parallel to your normal campaign. I personally did not mind this so much, but many players report that they dislike having to juggle the two game modes at once, which I understand. Fortunately, there is an option to have the computer run it.

All that said, if you do put in the time and effort to really get invested in Wrath of the Righteous, it rewards you many times over. The customization options are incredibly varied and versatile, once again almost to the point of feeling overwhelming at times. You will get that unique sense of power and satisfaction that can only be had from CRPGs, as you effortlessly crush what is supposed to be a tough encounter, thanks to your meticulously planned builds and tactics. All the way up until the end, I would regularly mouse over entries in the combat log, simply because I enjoyed seeing how even most high-AC enemies got ground into dust by my buffed, overpowered characters that I had spent so much time building up. This game is a power fantasy in the best possible way.

This power fantasy aspect extends to the narrative as well. As I understand it, the story is based on an existing Pathfinder tabletop module, which I've never played, so it's hard for me to gauge how much of it is specifically the result of Owlcat's writing. I will say that it is appropriately bombastic, and you will probably see most of the major story beats coming before they happen, at least if you are on the Angel path, which I suspect most first-time players will choose. However, this does not detract from the experience, as these literally epic events are usually handled quite well, and generally put a big grin on my face. The main story going so hard is also counterbalanced by the character interactions and side quests, where there is much more room for nuance and mundane concerns. No matter the alignment of your character, you will regularly be forced to make difficult, morally grey decisions.

Would I recommend Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous? More than almost any other title, this will depend on your own attitude and prior experience (with CRPGs in this case). This is not the sort of game you should be buying on a whim, just because it's on sale. Do your research. To get something out of WOTR, you have to be willing to put in the time and effort, and even then you will inevitably be frustrated at times. For me personally, however, the investment was well worth it, and I consider it to be one of the best games I've played in recent years.

tl;dr I consider it to be one of the best games I've played in recent years, but it has such specific appeal that I absolutely would not recommend it to someone unless I already know that they enjoy this type of CRPG.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Does anyone know why rest times seem to vary? Resting in Drezen, everyone's healthy with no negative effects, but one rest period is 15 hours instead of 9.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

I *think* you can only rest once per 24 hour period, so if you wake up, instantly get clowned on, then immediately go back to sleep, the game clock will forcibly tick over to the next day.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SoggyBobcat posted:

Does anyone know why rest times seem to vary? Resting in Drezen, everyone's healthy with no negative effects, but one rest period is 15 hours instead of 9.

You can only rest once per day. If you do it twice, you actually hang about until the beginning of the next day, then have your 8 hours of sleep.

Alternatively, by default the game makes you rest until everyone is fully healed which, if you don't have much in the way of cure wounds spells/channels left might bump you to "another rest" ; to avoid that find the I / II / III tickboxes near the bottom of the rest window and pick I (only one rest no matter what)

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Only being able to rest once per day makes sense, thanks.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i assume i have to be wielding the quarter staff of coercion to get the extra +1 against will saving throws not just have it equipped in a weapon set yes?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yes. You can hover over any stat on your character sheet to see a breakdown of how it's calculated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

i assume i have to be wielding the quarter staff of coercion to get the extra +1 against will saving throws not just have it equipped in a weapon set yes?

Yeah, this is the same for any weapon that gives a passive stat bonus, it has to be your active weapon to work, having it equipped in the other weapon slot isn't enough.