Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

If Kevin Nash isn't the HoF, then neither should Roman Reigns :colbert:

Nash at least entertained me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ah, my favorite yearly tradition: old British dudes getting up in Meltzer's mentions stanning for Big Daddy

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gonzo McFee posted:

Big Daddy is a very British pick for Hall of Fame because he was everywhere despite being awful and not drawing crowds at all and was only put in that position because he was the promoters son, which is pretty much every British person described as a "National Treasure".

mark rocco is more deserving

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Davey Boy Smith is more deserving.

William Regal is more deserving.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Davros1 posted:

Davey Boy Smith is more deserving.

William Regal is more deserving.

Regal should get in just on the wrestlers he trained or was involved with training

Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Chris Hero/Kassius Ohno, Cesaro, Johnny Gargano, Samoa Joe,

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Benne posted:

Ah, my favorite yearly tradition: old British dudes getting up in Meltzer's mentions stanning for Big Daddy

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1076544794002886657

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i love the phrase sickening big daddy takes so much

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I could name at least 20 guys more influential to modern British wrestling, but I saw Big Daddy on a talk show once so clearly he's the Hogan of the UK

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Anyone who voted for Nagata and simultaneously didn't vote for Jun Akiyama deserves to have their ballot taken away. There's no case for Nagata but not Akiyama.

The Lucha voting is bad as well, and all the people who voted in Park screwing over the other Lucha candidates really sucks.

Howard Finkel should be nowhere near a HOF that explicitly says longevity without significant contributions shouldn't count for anything.

The WON HOF is so frustrating. Oh well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Benne posted:

I could name at least 20 guys more influential to modern British wrestling, but I saw Big Daddy on a talk show once so clearly he's the Hogan of the UK

The Queen said he was her favorite wrestler!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Benne posted:

loving billy joyce, ricki starr, jackie pallo and mark rocco are on the ballot

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

the thing with the Big Daddy voting is it's mostly the British voters not voting him in so it's not really Dave's fault. I mean sure Dave has said he doesn't have a case but that hasn't stopped voters before (hi Sting)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sleep with the vicious posted:

Anyone who voted for Nagata and simultaneously didn't vote for Jun Akiyama deserves to have their ballot taken away. There's no case for Nagata but not Akiyama.

The Lucha voting is bad as well, and all the people who voted in Park screwing over the other Lucha candidates really sucks.

Howard Finkel should be nowhere near a HOF that explicitly says longevity without significant contributions shouldn't count for anything.

The WON HOF is so frustrating. Oh well.

Maybe they think Nagata is better.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Dave really influences the voters as much as people think he does then Randy Orton would've been in years ago

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

if nagata's so good why did he get KO'd by cro cop

makes you think

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Akiyama also had a decent shot at being a top guy in NOAH and just never could pull it off as good as Misawa or Kobashi, whereas Nagata probably gets more of a kind look due to being sacrificed at the alter of Inokism. Plus Akiyama and Taue probably suffer from "Yeah they're good but how much of that was them and how much was Misawa/Kobashi/Kawada" as well

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the most baffling name on the ballot is kendo nagasaki

why

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Akiyama also had a decent shot at being a top guy in NOAH and just never could pull it off as good as Misawa or Kobashi, whereas Nagata probably gets more of a kind look due to being sacrificed at the alter of Inokism. Plus Akiyama and Taue probably suffer from "Yeah they're good but how much of that was them and how much was Misawa/Kobashi/Kawada" as well

My memories of Akiyama on top of NOAH was losing the title to Marufuji using some modified cradle that resulted in Jun's shoulders being off the mat so he wasn't pinned at all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

the most baffling name on the ballot is kendo nagasaki

why

I want Kendo to get it only for it to be revealed that it was the other Kendo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Since I will never get to post this anywhere else, please read through this description of Kendo Nagasaki's personal religious philosophy where you learn that the gimmick is a spirit he is channeling to teach the world the secrets of both kendo and nagasaki i guess

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Big Daddy is a very British pick for Hall of Fame because he was everywhere despite being awful and not drawing crowds at all and was only put in that position because he was the promoters son, which is pretty much every British person described as a "National Treasure".

Hey at least he doesn't have the (known) paedo aspect that a lot of "national treasures" of his generation do.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Akiyama is still having great matches without any of those guys though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Akiyama is still having great matches without any of those guys though.

I honestly think his current run with All Japan may get him in if it keeps growing since he helps out with booking and running the company

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Hey at least he doesn't have the (known) paedo aspect that a lot of "national treasures" of his generation do.

Only because he hated children too much to be around them long enough to gently caress them.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

probably my fondest member of him, Bug Daddy put out a lot of comedic VHS tapes toward the end of his life. in 1995 I purchased two of them shrinkwrapped together down at the shops, and they were about him laying in the bed looking very tired and sweaty, with his hat put on his head lopsidedly, and someone from off the screen kept making fart noises with their mouth and tongue, and the same person Would say things like "oh mother i've done it again i have" in a high-pitched voice and i think he was pretending it to be big daddy's voice while big Daddy laid there occasionally sighing, coughing, or gasping for air

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I honestly think his current run with All Japan may get him in if it keeps growing since he helps out with booking and running the company

He owns it i think

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
maybe with one of the more popular names in the mexico category gone maybe the Park voters will spread to the other candidates finally.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Honestly, I think a wrestler should either be retired, or if they refuse to retire, reach a certain age (50?) before they can be considered for the Hall of Fame.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Honestly, I think a wrestler should either be retired, or if they refuse to retire, reach a certain age (50?) before they can be considered for the Hall of Fame.

Make it like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame where bands are, at the earliest, inducted 25 years after their first album

Make it so wrestlers can only be inducted 25 years after their pro debut

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

make it so whoever gets the votes goes in and anyone can get votes at any time, but also, voters can be voted out from being allowed to vote and people who are in the HoF can be removed with enough anti-votes later on

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

make it so whoever gets the votes goes in and anyone can get votes at any time, but also, voters can be voted out from being allowed to vote and people who are in the HoF can be removed with enough anti-votes later on

Dave did have a vote about whether to kick Benoit out, but it didn't pass.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

Then we'd end up with even more people like Tamura and Volk Han who will never get in despite being some of the absolute best.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Make it so people can go into the HoF up to nine times over, blocking others from going in once

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given how quick the style changes I'm perfectly fine with the way eligibility works in the hall. Better to have guys voted when people remember the style and can judge the push. Part of the problem we have now for older guys is people going off of tapes and memories and not actually how guys actually did at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mexico doesn't have tapes

All we know of prime Karloff Legarde and Huracan Ramirez are movie clips and memories of old Mexican people who don't get ballots