Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mors Rattus posted:

You...actually are gonna have to reroll again. Because humans get one of Savvy or Suave innately and you can only have both of those once apiece.

Or I could take Suave and keep my Savvy roll and be an incredibly handsome and intelligent thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Praise be to smart phones and public transport taking time.

I'm gonna be an apothecary, which is a lot less cool of an occupation when you're not a Space Marine.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

John Dyne posted:

Or I could take Suave and keep my Savvy roll and be an incredibly handsome and intelligent thief.

Yeah, I misread your Sturdy roll as having been Suave, so that you'd have Suave, Savvy and Suave.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Mykkel posted:

What's an 82 get me?
"The Myrmidian spring is thy poison."

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Give me MANMODE

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Can I see the Seaman Career?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Give me MANMODE

Human hedge witch.

Here's Seaman:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
http://orokos.com/roll/665973

Looks like Human Riverwoman. I don't have the books so I'll need to see the career sheet before I commit to it or rerolling.

Are wizards just as insanely wacky in this edition? If someone rolls one will we hit a situation where they accidentally sterilize their whole family and vomit continuously for 10 minutes when they try to cast a basic spell?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DeathSandwich posted:

http://orokos.com/roll/665973

Looks like Human Riverwoman. I don't have the books so I'll need to see the career sheet before I commit to it or rerolling.

Are wizards just as insanely wacky in this edition? If someone rolls one will we hit a situation where they accidentally sterilize their whole family and vomit continuously for 10 minutes when they try to cast a basic spell?

Wizards can cause problems but are fairly unlikely to gently caress up anyone except themselves most of the time, and even then mostly not. Their spells can be crazy powerful, but they take a while to cast.

e: Hedge Witches and Witches have more problems, largely because they aren't that great and are going to bring down witch hunter problems. Witches (but not Hedge Witches) also have crazy miscast issues.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 3, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nicholas Bingen, Apothecary

1. Where are you from?
Kotbus, a settlement to the south of Reikland Forest and to the north of some other forest.
2. What is your family like?
Nicholas' father was a farmer and his mother was a farmer, too. Brews great ale, that woman, even in her advanced age. Like in any other peasant family, Nicholas has a dozen of brothers and sisters, as many alive as have died in childhood. The more extended family is actually spread out in the surrounding villages. Nichola's older brother is a handgunner in Altdorf while one of his sisters is a Shallyan priestess.
3. What was your childhood like?
Like any other child of his station, he spent his early childhood playing around the homestead and making uneasy "expeditions" into the forest. He also got some practice as a herd keep, though keeping his feet warm by sticking them in dung never sat right with him. Even as a kid, he wasn't particularly strong, but he was tough and smart and fast. That's why he caught the eye of Nanny One Eye, a herbalist woman on the look out for an apprentice.
4. Why did you leave home?
Nanny One-Eye thinks that it would work well for Nicholas to travel and see the bounty of the land in other parts of the Empire as well as getting some experience in treating maladies that are unrelated to farming. Nicholas himself would also like to see the world - he has read enough of it in the books that he can read, and he has heard stories from his brother and sister.
5. Who are your best friends?
Mostly Nanny One-Eye, since other children didn't take too kindly to the kid that hung around the strange herb woman.
6. What is your greatest desire?
Nicholas' would very much like to be known as the greatest non-magical healer in the land, curing people through judicious application of plants, herbs and whatever else will fit into the mortar.
7. What are your best and worst memories?
The best memories are of Nanny's shack in the middle of a summer's day, the fragrant smells of drying hherbs wafting in the air and the motes of dust dancing in the light pouring in through the open door. This is what a home should feel like, always.

The worst memory was of visiting an apothercary in a nearby village - he was a friend of Nanny's, so she took Nicholas with her on the trip - who they found in bed, dying after a Beastman attack. The man had been horribly maimed while out collecting herbs. The wounds from their weapons didn't look nearly as horrible as those bites.
8. What are your religious beliefs?
A good Imperial should place his faith in Sigmar and seek out to cleanse corruption wherever it might be. Uphold the laws, strengthen the state, kill the cultist and the beast, be friend to the dwarves - that's what the king of gods commands, and Nicholas obeys.
9. To whom, or what, are you loyal?
A healthy populace means a healthy Empire, so working on not only healing instances of illness, but curing them outright is a noble goal for someone who wants to serve, but isn't good with a blade and can't sling fireballs.
10. Why are you adventuring?
To find new places and people, to investigate new apothecary components, read upon the wisdom of others and improve the lot of other citizens of the Empire and general god-fearing (well, the proper gog-fearing) citizens.

pre:
Species: 29 - Human +25 XP
Class/Career: 1, Academic - Apothecary +50 XP
Tier 1: Apprentice, Brass 3

Ambitions:
Short term: to destroy a Nurglite cult[/url]
[spoiler]Long term: to annihilate a Beastman tribe to make a forest safe(ish) for Apothecaries

Wounds: 11, Fate 2, Fortune 2, Resilience 4, Resolve 4, Movement 4

Ability:
Weapon skill: 26
Ballistic skill: 32
Strength: 25
Toughness: 33 + 
Initiative: 34
Agility: 27
Dexterity: 40 +
Intelligence: 37 + (5 Advances)
Willpower: 34
Fellowship: 27
+50XP

Skills:
Charm 5 
Cool 3 
Evaluate 3 
Gossip 3 
Haggle 5
Ranged (Bow) 5
Consume Alcohol 2
Heal 10
Language (Classical) 1
Lore (Chemistry) 5
Lore (Medicine) 3
Lore (Plants) 5
Trade (Apothecary) 10
Trade (Poisoner) 3

Talents:
Doomed
Savvy
Suave (Random Roll 1)
Read/Write (Random Roll 2)
Hardy (Random Roll 3)
Concoct

Trappings:
Clothing
Dagger
Pouch (54 brass pennies)
Sling Bag (Writing Kit and 8 sheets of Parchment)

XP: 120

JcDent fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 4, 2018

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Here's Riverwoman:

We are thoroughly deep in app territory, so I'm going to start the paring process soon.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Hey. Still working on that Warrior Priest. If Ranald doesn't work for you I can pick someone else.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

pre:
Name: Egon Bauer
Species: Human +20xp
Class: Peasant
Career: Cavalryman Warden  Villager +25xp
Attributes: +50xp
XP: 5 xp remaining

WS:  37 (17+20) 
BS:  42 (17+20+5)
S:   30 (9+20+1)
T:   42 (17+20+3+2)
I:   27 (7+20)
Ag:  33 (11+20+1+1) 
Dex: 24 (4+20)
Int: 34 (14+20)
WP:  37 (17+20)
Fel: 35 (10+20+5)

Wounds: 14/14 (3+8+3)
Fate: 5 (2 base + 3 extra points)
Fortune: 5/5
Resilience: 1
Resolve: 1/1
Extra Points: 3
Movement: 4

Skills:
Basic
Art 24
Athletics 38
Bribery 35
Charm 40
Charm Animal 37
Climb 30
Cool 40
Consume Alcohol 47
Dodge 33
Drive 33
Endurance 47
Entertain 35
Gamble 34
Gossip 40
Haggle 38
Intimidate 30
Intuition 27
Leadership 35
Melee (Basic) 42
Melee (Brawling) 42
Navigation 27
Outdoor Survival 39
Perception 27
Ride 33
Row 30
Stealth 33

Advanced
Animal Care 42
Lore (Local) 39
Ranged (Bow) 48

Talents:
Human:
Doomed: "A beast of brass bellows for thee!"

Suave: +5 base Fel

Marksman: +5 base BS

Artistic
-Can make precise drawings with nothing more than time/supplies.
-Add Trade(Artist) to any career being entered.
-Careers with Trade(Artist) already can take advances at -5xp

Acute Sense (Smell): 
-Allow tests to detect normally imperceptible things.

Villager:
Stone Soup
- +1 to SL on successful endurance checks to resist hunger
- Subsist on half the required amount of food with no negatives.
- Only test for starvation every 3 days, instead of 2.

Trappings:
Peasant: Cloak, Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Sling Bag containing 1 Ration
Career: None
Starting Cash: 17 pennies
Purchased: 
Charcoal Stick 10d
Amulet of Rhya 2d
Amulet of Taal 2d
Amulet of Sigmar 2d
1 Match 1d

Remaining Coin: None

Advances:
Characteristics:
S: 1 (Creation)
T: 3 (Creation)+2 xp
Agi: 1 (Creation)+1 xp

Skills:
Animal Care: 3 racial+5 class
Athletics: 5 class
Charm: 5 racial
Consume Alcohol: 5 class
Cool: 3 racial
Endurance: 5 class
Gossip: 5 Class
Haggle: 3 racial
Lore (Local): 5 class
Melee (Basic): 5 racial
Melee (Brawling): 5 class
Outdoor Survival: 5 class
Ranged (Bow): 5 racial+1xp

XP Expenditure:
50xp T 3->5
25xp agi 1->2
15xp Ranged (Bow) 5->6
Short Term Ambition: "It's been too long since I've been hunting. It'd be nice to get my hands on a sturdy bow again."
Long Term Ambition:"I can only hope my cousins are still out there somewhere. Finding them alive would be a miracle, but if I can't I'll at least settle for gutting the bastards who took them."

Where are you from?
Hochland. Couldn't really tell you where exactly. Me and mine worked a farm near the rivers, doing our bit to keep the province from starving to death. You know how it is.

What is your family like?
Large is probably the most accurate word you could use. More babes might mean more mouths to feed in the short term, but given time it means many more hands around to allow you to work even more of the usable river-land. We've had some troubles with passersby taking advantage of our hospitality, but family holds up family and we always get through.

What was your childhood like?
Boring is a pretty rude way to say it, but it's far from a lie. Working the farm doesn't leave a ton of time to develop frivolous hobbies, but a hunting trip here and there was always a nice treat. Grandpa taught me a thing or two about whittling too and with all the wood around these parts it's hard not to get into the habit of making trinkets to hock at the passing travelers and merchants.

Why did you leave home?
The Warden did nothing when my young cousins were kidnapped, and I doubt the Elector Count was even made aware of it when it happened. My two elder brothers and I did our best to try and bring the damned bandits to justice, but we never did manage to find the bastards. My brothers went home, but I ended up just drifting for a time and never really thought about going home.

Who are your best friends?
Whoever the local inn-keep or tavern owner is usually. There's always drudge work to be done, and living on a farm will teach you to be good at that if nothing else. I've managed to keep my feet under me long enough doing odd jobs here and there in exchange for some pennies or a night with the stables roof over my head.

What is your greatest desire?
I've been wandering from town to town for so long that it'd be pretty hard for me to return to the simple farming life. Hopefully when all this business is done I'll have a nice nest egg under me and I can find some little village out in the middle of nowhere and live a lazy retirement as a village head with no worries.

What are your best and worst memories?
Hochland's wealth certainly doesn't lay in it's farming exports given we struggle just to keep the province fed, but some of my happiest days were when the harvest festivals would happen up and down the river. Seeing the communities from up and down the river gather is a memory I can look back on fondly, even today.

I'd imagine it's no surprise my worst memory is of the night my cousins were taken. We'd been so sure it was just a rustler come to steal a pig or some chickens. Naive idiots that we were, we bolted out to save the chicken coop when we saw the smoke pouring out of it. By the time we'd gotten the blaze under control, and managed to secure the few chickens that'd survived, we were too late to have stopped the boys from being taken.

What are your religious beliefs?
Like most of the folk in Hochland, the Bauer family is split between worship of Taal and Rhya. I fall more in line with the Rhya folk. My younger siblings always did a lot more of the trapping side of things alongside the Taalites, while me and the elders were more concerned with the harvest, so things just clicked into place that way.

Sigmar gets his due of course, but you tend to focus on the things in front of you.

To whom, or what, are you loyal?
For the most part I'm loyal to whoever is forking over the coin, but you'd be hard pressed to get me to betray a member of my family for almost any reason.

Why are you adventuring?
It's easier to avoid your duties out on the road with no reminders of the people who need you. I'm sure I could stroll back to the farm tomorrow night and come morning I'd have fallen back into the same routine without a hitch. There'd be some chafing over how long I'd been gone for sure, but bygones are bygones when it comes to family.

Avoiding familial duty is a big part of it, but it's also hard to turn my back on the rest of the folk in the Empire. There's a lot of folk in dire straits compared to my quiet farm life, and offering a helping hand to them when they need it isn't too much of a burden on me.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 4, 2018

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
A good catch I apparently overlooked: you also get five free Characteristic advances during character creation, though they can only be distributed across the Characteristics indicated by a + from your starting career. As with the skill advances, it's important to keep track of how many advances have been put into a given Characteristic, as this affects the XP cost scaling over time.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Friedrich 'Honest Freddy' Stoffer
Just a legitimate merchant trying to make his way

Short-Term Ambition: To have 5 gold coins to my name.
Long-Term Ambition: To be a major Merchant Prince of Mariendorf, ascend the ranks to be one of the truly rich and powerful.

Where Are You From?
I's born in a small port town called Marienburg, maybe you've heard of it? Richest, most beautiful city in all the world, that's what they say. I'm living out here in the Imperial Sticks for the most part though, gotta make a living somewhere!

What Is Your Family Like?
My mother and father, they were saints they were. Truly saints. Da was sailing man, drat good at it too. Go sailing out for months at a time, never saw him three outta four seasons ya? Then he comes back, bags of gold, silver and copper and all sorts of little trinkets and tales from all over. He'd meet the new members of the family, make another one during the cold months and then go sailing off again. Ma was good with numbers, kept it all proper budget-ed and neat. Kept all twelve of us fed, can you imagine? Anyways, raised us up as good proper folk. But one year, Da never came back. Nor the ship he set out on. Ma... she held together long enough for the youngest to, you know. Get supportin' themselves. But it was never the same. She took ill one winter and just slipped away.

The Stoffers, we took it as best we could ya? Now, I say that Ma raised us as good, proper folk. In the interest of context I feel like I should explain. Marienburg is a big place, ya? Lot of big ships, lot of big people and a lot of big bags of gold just going around. It's our civic duty as proper Marienburgers to make sure those coins are going to where they need to go. And if some of them need to go into our pockets, well who are we to argue with that?

What Was Your Childhood Like?
Oh you know, normal stuff. Guiding merchants around the town, showing them all the best spots. Talking them up, figure out which of me siblings would catch their sympathy best. My record was getting a merchant to give alms to four of me little brothers on a single trip, but old Hanz always had me beat. Never lets me live that one down, but it's alright, just brotherly love ya? And as for the merchants, well they wasn't using that money were they? They were just giving it away. Who could blame us for making sure it was given away to us?

Of course then we got older, and we had to find new vocations ya? But we can always count on each other if things get tight. Family gotta stick together.

Why Did You Leave Home?
Oh, that. Well, see it's like I said that Marienburg is a big place. But it's also a really small place, do you understand? Those big ships and big merchants and big piles of gold started taking offense to old Freddy Stoffer's means of making a living. They called me a cheat and a swindler. Can you imagine! Honest Freddy, the Friendliest Freddy you'll ever meet, a swindler? Well you can imagine I took quite offense to that and decided to deprive them of my company as punishments for their accusations. Even today if you bring up my name they will howl that they want me back, even if it is just my casket so that they might mourn the injustice they did to Honest Freddy.

Who Are Your Best Friends?
Hanz, my older brother, he's the best. Still keeping the family together back in the old country, and sends some work my way too. Being that I'm already out here in the Empire, sometimes a customer wants something from Marienburg direct and what better guarantee is there than a Stoffer's guarantee, I ask you? That's what I do now, move things to people who need them. A good honest profession, and I get to meet all sorts of people. A dream come true really.

And of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention Dockmaster Wilheim, down in Altdorf proper. Great drinking friend, always good for a story that man. Best business partner a man like me could have, charges reasonable rates and makes sure everything is done official-like. I'd take a dagger for old Wilheim, and any man that says I wouldn't is a liar!

What Is Your Greatest Desire?
I want... I want to be one of those big merchants in Mariendorf, with the big piles of gold. I want these loving useless inbred ponces running around like they mean something to come crawling to me for gold to fund their petty wars. I want people to talk about the Stoffers like they mean something.

What Are Your Best And Worst Memories
My best memories are of home, when Da would come home and the whole family would be together and happy. Some of my youngest siblings, they don't even remember Da. It's a stab in the heart it is, every time I think about that.

My worst memories are the trip out here from Marienburg. Nearly drowned taking a little boat upriver, got chased by some thugs then by some bandits. Almost drowned again getting away from them, had to give away everything I had. Even had to give away a pearl from the Tilean Sea. Da said you could just reach down and scoop up an oyster in the bays of Tilea, and every one of them had a pearl. He gave one to each of us...

What Are Your Religious Beliefs?
Depends on whose asking!

...Oh, you're serious. Sorry, these Imperial types always get so funny about that sort of thing. Me personal? I put out my offerings to Manaan, for my Da. And my Ma, too. Paying the toll, I guess, so they'd be together again. For me personal, I don't know what these Rhya folk are about but it certainly never fails to be entertaining when they try to get up to whatever it is they do. I've also heard of this Ranald fella, he seems to have his head on straight. And of course, Praise Sigmar! Always Praise Sigmar. Never know when someone might be listening that'll tie you to a stake if you don't Praise Sigmar enough.

To Whom or What Are You Loyal
I'm loyal to myself first, my crew second and my coin third. The ordering on those last two is subject to some debate, of course.

Why Are You Adventuring
It's hard times for an innocent, perfectly legitimate merchant type in the Empire. Seems like every other day you hear about some beastmen getting letting a village have it or a caravan getting waylaid. Seems as like to me, in any case, and so it never hurts to have a second career going ya know? Something on the side, meet new customers, meet new suppliers. Maybe do some good in the world... or at least look it!

pre:
Name: Friedrich Stoffer
Alias: Honest Freddy, Friendly Freddy 
Class: Riverlander
Career: Smuggler
Career Level: 1
Fate: 4
Fortune: 4/4
Resilience: 2
Resolve: 2/2

Attributes:
WS: 37 + 0 = 37
BS: 28 + 0 = 28
St: 30 + 0 = 30
Tg: 27 + 0 = 27
Iv: 34 + 0 = 34
Ag: 38 + 4 = 42
Dx: 38 + 0 = 38
In: 32 + 0 = 32
Wp: 36 + 5 = 41
Fl: 40 + 0 = 40
Wounds: 3 + (2*2) = 7

Talents:

Coolheaded - You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Willpower
Characteristic this does not count towards your Advances.

Criminal (1) - When securing money, either when Earning 
during play or performing an Income Endeavour, refer to the following 
table:

Bonus Money/Level of Criminal
Career Level 1 - +2d10 brass pennies
Career Level 2 - +1d10 silver shillings
Career Level 3 - +2d10 silver shillings
Career Level 4 - +1 gold crown 

Doomed - At the age of 10, a Priest of Morr called a Doomsayer took you
aside to foretell your death in an incense-laden, coming-of-age
ritual called the Dooming. In conjunction with your GM, come up
with a suitable Dooming. Should your character die in a fashion
that matches your Dooming, your next character gains a bonus of
half the total XP your dead character accrued during play.

Sharp - You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Initiative
Characteristic (this does not count towards your Advances).

Suave - You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting Fellowship
Characteristic (this does not count towards your Advances).

Warrior Born - You gain a permanent +5 bonus to your starting 
Weapon Skill Characteristic (doesn’t count as Advances).

Trappings: 

Cloak
Clothing
Dagger
Flask of Spirits
Large Sack
Pouch
Scarves
Tinderbox
Storm Lantern and Oil

Skills:
Animal Care            32 + 0  = 32
Athletics              30 + 5  = 35
Bribery                40 + 5  = 45
Charm                  40 + 5  = 45
Cool                   41 + 15 = 56
Consume Alcohol        27 + 5  = 32
Evaluate               32 + 3  = 35
Gossip                 40 + 3  = 43
Haggle                 40 + 3  = 43
Language (Bretonnian)  32 + 0  = 32
Language (Wastelander) 32 + 0  = 32
Leadership             40 + 0  = 40
Lore (Reikland)        32 + 0  = 32
Melee (Basic)          37 + 5  = 42
Ranged (Bow)           27 + 0  = 27
Row                    30 + 1  = 31                  
Sail                   42 + 5  = 47
Stealth (Rural)        42 + 10 = 52
Stealth (Underground)  42 + 0  = 42
Stealth (Urban)        42 + 0  = 42
Swim                   30 + 1  = 31

Experience: 120 / 120 
Agility Advance (+4) : 100xp 
Row (+1) : 10xp
Swim (+1) : 10xp

professorcurly: Species: 1d100 36 Human +20xp

professorcurly: Career: 1d100 71 Smuggler +50xp

professorcurly: Stats: 10#2d10 12 8 10 7 9 18 18 12 11 15 +50xp

professorcurly: Random Talents: 3#1d100 73 100 17

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 4, 2018

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Lets try some MAN MODE!

Species: 50 Human

I'll take it. +20 xp

Career: 03 Lawyer

Wack. Lets try two more.

Additional Careers: 44 Mystic and 03 (lol) Lawyer

I'm going to assume a reroll on the double Phoenix Wright.

Career, part three: 60 Witch Hunter

Now we're in business. +25 xp

Attributes: 10 15 09 10 03 12 16 07 14 04

Well that is 100 on the head, so I may as well keep it, but I'm going to move them around. +25 xp

Random Talents: 67 Resistance (any) 43 Mimic 9 and Animal Affinity

More to follow

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 4, 2018

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
As a general mechanical heads up: the 'extra points' listed after Fate and Resilience are for distributing as you see fit between Fate and Resilience--it's flexibility on deciding on if you want to be more lucky or resolved or equally between both. I noticed a few sheets that hadn't distributed those points yet and realized that was another thing that is sort of tucked and wasn't mentioned. D'oh.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If you're like me and have a hard time generating a char, FnF review of WHFRP4E goes over the process in detail.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Nineteen individuals have checked in and/or submitted a character at this point, which is pretty nutty and far more turnout than I expected. It also means that it's going to be a very tough process figuring out who to take. At this time, I've started putting a list together and checking it thrice; I'm still going to give time for folks with characters already in progress to wrap up for the table but we've tripled the head count I was originally looking for, so barring someone being impassioned with providence to dive in at the last minute, I'm tethering up the velvet rope and citing the staging room as fully occupied.

I've been going over the sheets submitted so far and making some notes; due to the considerable volume of applicants for this grim and perilous undertaking, I've got to start somewhere with a baseline to pare down the list. Please try to have a sheet together with character questions answered by the end of the day today. You don't have to write a ton but that's a pretty straightforward baseline to start narrowing things down--and I'm likely going to dismiss entries who haven't mustered that far first and focus on those who have.

That said, there's a lot of promising characters in this mix. I'm liking a lot of what I've seen, which is going to make this that much harder to hone in on. I'll generally be available for any questions and inquiries in #whsor on irc.synirc.net today as well as watching the thread--so for anyone who can't access IRC for whatever reason, at least for the time being, feel free to ask questions here instead.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Harold Weiss

WIP

Name: Harold Weiss
Class: Thief
Career: Prowler
Career Level: 1

Attributes:
WS: 37
BS: 34
S: 29
T: 22
Init: 29 + 1 Free Advance
Ag: 35 + 3 Free Advance
Dex: 29
Int: 27 + 5 Savvy
WP: 29 + 1 Free Advance
Fel: 31 + 5 Suave
Wounds: 7
Fate: 2 +1 Lucky
Resilience: 3

Talents:
Doomed
Criminal
Lucky
Savvy
Suave
Sturdy

Skills:
Athletics 5
Charm 5
Climb 5
Dodge 5
Cool 10
Endurance 5
Evaluate 5
Gossip 3
Haggle 3
Intuition 5
Melee (Basic) 3
Perception 5
Stealth (Urban) 5

Trappings:
Clothing, Dagger, Pouch, Sling Bag containing 2 Candles, 5 Matches, a Hood or Mask, Crowbar, Leather Jerkin, Sack

Experience: 0 / 120

Where are you from?
Marienburg, if you'd believe it. If not, well.. still Marienburg, lad.

What is your family like?
Fishermen and merchants, like most of the city; never got too far above our station, but we do have an uncle what became a litigant. Right well left us behind and ended up with a knife in his back when he picked the wrong side in a case. Sorry sort, really.

What was your childhood like?
Imagine the smell of fish, but it's punching you in the face on a daily basis because you aren't gutting fast enough. When I was able to get away from me da', I was hiding and flittin' about however I could through the city. Easy place to get lost in, and when you find the right nooks and crannies, you can find about anything. Learned to nick a few things to soothe my poor, battered soul during that time.

Why did you leave home?
It were a mix of the law not looking kindly above me and just generally bein' sick of fish and the tedium of merchantdom. We weren't never going to get rich feedin' so many mouths, and I can make it on me own, so, Ranald willing, the family's eating better without having to spend on me.

Who are your best friends?
Met an entertaining lass on me travels, and I mean that in both senses; she's a performer and a fun sort to be around. Erika's her name, and we've been roamin' for a bit now. Not so much of a con artist as I am, but she gets it.

What is your greatest desire?
What does any man want, really? The comfort of good food and not worryin' about the roof over your head. Set me up in a nice house and keep me fed and I'm yours, lad.

What are your best and worst memories?
Worst would be the smell of fish and the beatings. Best would be when I nicked a silver candlestick from old man Merwin, an' got me weight in taffy for it. Ate myself sick that night.

What are your religious beliefs?
Ranald's been at me back since I started thievin', it feels like, but I'm a good citizen of the empire. Sigmar protects us, Shallya heals us, but Ranald's the one guidin' me hand right now.

To whom, or what, are you loyal?
To Karl Franz, of course, an' to meself. And Erika; she's done right by me so far.

Why are you adventuring?
It's this or fishin', lad, and I rather die young with a blade in me gut than die old with a blade in the gut of a fish.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 8, 2018

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Alright, let's get the brass tacks down so we can get ready to roll with this thing. Thanks to everyone who expressed interest and took the time to whip up characters, Ranald at the wheel and otherwise; this has been a wild outpouring of interest that well exceeded what I anticipated and I'm flattered and humbled for it.

I liked a lot of the characters here and it wasn't at all easy trying to narrow things down; apologies to anyone who didn't make the cut, hopefully no hard feelings--and everyone is still welcome to join us in the discord server that's been set up for this grim and perilous adventure whether player or peanut gallery. This being Warhammer, there's liable to be fatalities sooner or later, so we're bound to need more bodies at some point.

My original intent was to set out for six and that band is not enough to contain here. With the flex of PBP over live play and things being what they are, I'm going to stretch that to nine instead--with the intent that we're going to truck along once we hit the ground and power through. I debated seven, I debated eight, I debated running two games simultaneously at six each--but ultimately, I settled on trying to make the best of what we could muster with nine. We'll make it work. So, without further adieu, here is our initial party:

Dietmar Riehl, the Flagellant, played by chin up everything sucks
Karl, the Rat Catcher, played by Piell
Sister Thekla, the Initiate of Ulric, played by Mors Rattus
Erika Laut, the Entertainer, played by Tricky
Gottfried Schäfer, the Witch Hunter, played by Izzy
Rosamunde Echstein, the Duelist, played by Dachshundofdoom
Elise Gottfield, the Scholar, played by Sion
Friedrich Stoffer, the Smuggler, played by professor_curly
Harold Weiss, the Thief, played by John Dyne

One of the angles I had in mind when ultimately settling on nine--given the spread of careers and character concepts here--was the notion that it would afford us the ability to form three sets of three. I am cool with however you might want to sort yourselves, I figured on e.g. Erika, Harold and Friedrich potentially knowing one another for example.

Feel free to formulate impressions at least among the smaller subsets and sort out how you might know each other--you don't need to know the entire party, but I'd like there to be at least two character connections each. More importantly, we'll turn an eye towards figuring out the ambition for the group--but that can wait until after I roll out a follow-up post to give you the gist of our establishing premise.

For anyone who'd like to join us for jubilant merriment and game chit-chat in general, there's a discord server here.

Thank you again everyone!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Impressions
Dietmar Riehl: He is brave, but his heart is fearful. Too often, the flagellants of Sigmar are like that. He has become hard, but brittle. Still, his courage should be recognized.
Karl: I know the life you come from. It was mine, too. Do you remember me? I used to play with the dogs.
Erika Laut: Soft, yes. But beneath that...are there fangs? Show me.
Rosamunde Echstein: Steel in your bones, yes. Too much of the southern graces, but you are not weak. Some day I'll match you and show you the wolf's teeth match any of her spears.
Gottfried Schafer: I know you, Wtich Hunter. Stand at my back and I will guard yours. You may walk with Sigmar and I with Ulric, but...
Elise Gottfried: You know words and lore. I saw you in the libraries, a few times, when I was in training. Stay behind me when the fighting starts, and I will show you how to howl.
Friedrich Stoffer: You seem funny. Don't expect me to lie for you.
Harold Weiss: You, either. Outside an ambush, trickery is a coward's weapon. At least Ranald watches out for people like you, though.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 5, 2018

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dietmar's Impressions
Karl: He's got, ummm.... focus? I'm glad he kills rats, they are noisy and dirty and steal my food.
Sister Thekla: She can fight. I don't like the wolf god though, his people push me around and laugh. They don't believe that the end is coming. They think they can fight it.
Erika Laut: She's pretty and fun to watch. I like her, even if she doesn't understand that the end is here.
Gottfried Schäfer: He knows what is happening, he fights back like I do. But people respect him more than me. Maybe because he knows how to hurt people.
Rosamunde Echstein: Too proud of herself and her pretty blade. Fighting is blood and mud and screams, not flashing blades and fancy moves.
Elise Gottfield: She's smart. Pretty too. Sigmar and the other gods look out for this one.
Friedrich Stoffer: He's just another merchant. They look down on us, cause we don't have coins.
Harold Weiss: He steals to live. I've stolen a few times, but I felt bad about it. He doesn't.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Erika's Impressions

Dietmar Riehl: Bit of a downer, isn't he? Still, he can appreciate a good show. Wish he had a few pennies to toss in the bowl, but eh. Can't win 'em all.
Karl: Y'know, if he got that mutt of his to jump through a flaming hoop or three he'd put me out of a job. People love dog tricks. Maybe I should get one, myself...
Sister Thekla: I saw a pair of mummers doin' a farce routine a few weeks back. You had the funny one, but they still needed a straight-laced no-fun type to lob the jokes at. If nothin' else, maybe I can get her to draw me up a sign. Anybody who's got one of those can really rake it in.
Rosamunde Echstein: Oh, she's a fancy one. No mistake about that. Bet I'd give her a run for her money in hoity-toity society if I had my ring and some fancy clothes. Wouldn't mind learning a few of those blade tricks, though, bet they'd make for a great show.
Gottfried Schafer: Well, poo poo. You seen the crowd I run with? They ain't mutants, just ugly, but I ain't thinkin' he'll wait to figure it out.
Elise Gottfried: Now there's a lass that can hold a drink! I ain't got a clue what she bitches about when she's in her cups, but we've all got poo poo that grates on us.
Friedrich Stoffer: He's got the right connections to make some real dosh. I ain't one of those types, but if the price is right... well, poo poo. We do what we gotta to get where we're goin', right?
Harold Weiss: Harry's been through thick and thin with me. Makes a good partner for some Three Card Monte or a shell game. Quick hands, I attract in the business, we split the take. If I wasn't aimin' up top, that'd be more'n enough to get through life.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Rosamunde's Impressions

Dietmar Riehl: There are terrible things in this world, to be sure, and some people take the news worse than others. It's an awful thing to see someone so scarred that they take it out on themselves like this. But if it brings them comfort and makes them feel like Sigmar loves them, I suppose it can't be all bad.

Karl: I've always liked ratcatchers, mostly because I despise rats. Nice enough dog too, although I wouldn't put my fingers anywhere near that nippy little mouth. In any case, I don't look down on him: someone's got to do the job.

Sister Thekla: We've seen each other around, mostly at a distance. Nothing against the followers of Ulric, it's just that their form of war is different from mine. Less strategy and ceremony, more axes in skulls and glorious victory. It's a more honest kind of fight, if I'm being honest. If not for the accident of birth, I could see myself wearing those furs.

Erika Laut: There's something about this one that I can't quite put my finger on. Entertainers are ten-a-penny in most places, but she catches the eye. I've seen the other fools, jugglers, and bards pack up and walk away muttering when she sets up. It's not just talent. It's poise, that unmistakable self-confidence that puts an otherwise ordinary person head and shoulders above their equals. Whether it's just a strong will or something she knows that we don't, I can't say, but I think she and I are more alike than you'd think.

Gottfried Schäfer: In my experience, there's two kinds of Witch Hunter. You have men and women dedicated to rooting out mutants, monsters, and witches before they destroy communities and drag innocents down with them. You also have heartless brutes who use their position to spend a few weeks terrorizing the poor, and then they burn the place to the ground and move on. Sometimes the former turn into the latter after they see too much. I think he's a good man, and I hope he stays that way.

Elise Gottfried: A fellow student, albeit of a very different art. We've crossed paths in taverns a few times, probably bought each other drinks. I say probably only because my time in taverns tends to run together. Regardless, she's a strong and hardy sort, which I respect, and she can read, which is more than I can say. Remarkable to see someone who can actually make sense of a book; they've never been for me, unless they've got pictures.

Friedrich Stoffer: I believe I may have spoken to him in some market or another. I've certainly never bought anything from him. He just has that... air, you know? The kind of shopkeep who makes change in clipped coins, waters down his drinks, paints a shield to hide the wood-rot.

Harold Weiss: And this one, who hangs around him, doesn't help my mood. I've seen his ilk before: they only exist in the darkest corners and at the edges of crowds, sidling close to those who wear their coinpurses too openly. People like him have their uses, but if you don't keep a close eye on your belongings, you're going to find them missing when you need them most.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Honest Freddy's Impressions

Dietmar Riehl: Oi, this is a legitimate business I'm running here! You're scaring off all the customers with this wild ravings about mutants and devils - this is Altdorf, not wild province! How's a man supposed to make an honest living in these conditions?

Karl: A true civil servant, mark my words. A more honorable man I never met, than old Karl. What's his job? Catching rats. What's he do? Catch rats. Couldn't ask for anything more. You need a rat caught, he's the man for the job. I toss a penny his way when I can, times are tough on all of us, but we low folk know how to stick together.

Sister Thekla: The wolf-woman? Howls at all hours, beats on people cross her? I think I am going to stay well away from that, thank you very much!

Rosamunde Echstein: The fancy cutter? What about her?

Erika Laut: Ah ya, Harold's lady friend. She puts on a show unlike any other, I'll tell you that. Tried to sign on as her manager you know, can't let such a talent be taken advantage of by these Reiklanders. They don't know true talent when they see it! She chose to go her own way though, which is alright. Sharp, that's the word. A sharp lass. A lass that knows when to take some pennies and put on a show for the guards, make them look the right way when they need to. Not a bad word to say about her.

Gottfried Schäfer: I... don't normally speak to Witch Hunters. Preservation policy you see, never trust a man that can tie you down in the public square and burn you alive and have people cheer 'im on. Can't burn you if you they can't tie you down. Schäfer though... Well, if I ever did have my suspicions, I'd take them to him. He seems... reasonable. Like it hasn't all gotten to his head, know what I mean?

Elise Gottfried: Can't say that rings any bells, I'm afraid. You said she was a student? Not much of a reader, I'm afraid, don't have much need going up to that academy. But a common girl making something of herself, can't say I'm opposed to that. That's what we're all trying to do here, so more power to her!

Harold Weiss: Ah, a lad after my own heart. I always know where I stand with Harry Weiss, yessir! Us Marienburger's, we have to stick together out here in the Reik. Dangerous place for our sorts, ya? So when I need another pair of hands, or a good pair of eyes, I throw some coins his direction. Him and his lady friend, they do right by me and don't ask so many questions which works out fine for everyone involved.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Karl's Impressions
Dietmar: I mean, I'm all for Sigmar, but Dietmar's a bit too much, right?
Sister Thekla: She likes Lefty, so she's a good person. Though I'm not sure she knows the difference between wolves and dogs.
Erika Laut: She's great! Her show is really cool!
Gottfried Schäfer: I'm glad he's along, witches are scary.
Rosamunde Echstein: She fights all fancy, which is cool! Though I've always found a chair leg to the head does the job well enough.
Elise Gottfield: She knows all sorts of stuff AND she's super strong!
Friedrich Stoffer: He's out to get rich, which sounds like a good idea to me!
Harold Weiss: Stealing from people is wrong, unless they deserve it. I'm keeping an eye on him.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Elise Gottfield's Impressions

Rosamunde: Fancy stabber lass. Sorry, 'fancy flamberge lass!' I swear she's got one of those fancy-pants flametip swords, which suits her just fine. I got a feeling on her that she's not like to take even playful ribbing lying down. She's gonna jump forwards into a problem one of these days and get herself hurt. I know her well enough; smart just- in a very different way.

Dietmar Riehl: I ain't gonna be the one to dig too deeply into this one, but he's got the look of someone that looked into somethin' horrible and went all bibbledy about it. He's found somethin' to cling onto in Sigmar and I can't blame him. I just- wonder how much else there is to 'im. Eyes linger a bit too long, though.

Karl: Don't much care for 'im, but do care for the dog. Cute wee thing, even if it's got cuts and scrapes all over it. Puppyish when you play with it, an' a right vicious bastard the rest of the time. I wonner how much of that it's picked up from Karl...

Sister Thekla: Another norder. There's somethin' about us Nordlander lasses an' bein' built like brick poo poo-houses. I like 'er. Reminds me of 'ome. I say we show these soft southern bastards how it's done. Plus, we've gotta stick together.

Erika Laut: Never seen anyone like her. She's impossible to get a read on. See, I can tell when folk are good liars and I think she's onna that best. She can sing, dance, tell stories and leave a room in rapture of herself. Good to go drinking with, has brilliant stories and lets me rot on and on about my shite. I like her, but I don't think I know her.

Gottfried Schäfer: Oh! His first name's like my last name. That's weird. He's a tough bastard, and knows his way around the wilderness. I have a feelin' I'll need to pay attention to him. Honestly, I- kind of have to wonder how much I can contribute out here next to someone like that.

Friedrich Stoffer: He's come from a nice big town all the way out 'ere and he's a merchant? He's hosed up something, somewhere and someone's chased him out here. No two ways about it, this guy's in the poo poo.

Harold Weiss: Bump into him sometimes, usually after something's been nicked. He'll tip up, say 'I've been here for a while, alright?' I nod along. A while's a relative amount of time, plus I ain't a grass. Good lad, just- needs to learn to keep his nose clean.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Gottfried's Impressions

Dietmar: His devotion to Sigmar is strong, no question about that. If he could only be turned away from this false prophecy, he could do much good for the world.

Karl: Good lad. I don't envy his job, but I'm glad he does it. Lefty reminds me of our dogs back home. Sweet as honey, but woe betide anyone who threatens their flock. Who's a good boy, Lefty? Who's a good boy? You are! Yes you are!

Sister Thekla: I could ask for no better companion in battle. Many would do well to remember that Sigmar was once Ulric's faithful. And no matter how great the Empire's reach, there will always be wolves in the wild places.

Erika: She doesn't like me very much, and I don't suppose I blame her. Too many of my so-called brethren use their station to purge "undesirables" in the name of saving us from Chaos. She has nothing to fear from me, but earning her trust will take time.

Rosamunde: Amazing with a blade! I always learn something new when we spar and she inevitably humiliates me.

Elise: I met a lot of scholars back home, since Rottfurt's well-known for the parchment you can make from our sheep. Never liked 'em much; it was like they resented having to look at something that wasn't a book. Elise isn't like that though. She grew up knowing the value of a strong back as well as a quick mind. She has a great deal to teach all of us, I think.

Friedrich: Normally, I would say that anyone who gives themselves the nickname "Honest"...well...isn't. But Friedrich's always done right by me and I'm not about to begrudge a man for the desire to earn some coin. His stories do much to relieve the dreariness of the road as well.

Harold: I have my eye on you, thief.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
We are live! Huzzah!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Izzy, get in Discord with us

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Wait where's the GM forced camp follower prostitute character?!?!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

Wait where's the GM forced camp follower prostitute character?!?!

I'm right here! Currently pretending to be a zealot.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

chin up everything sucks posted:

I'm right here! Currently pretending to be a zealot.

N E P O T I S M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The #acolyte cabal strikes again from the shadows!

• Locked thread