Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epcgp45G34Q

IMDB | Wikipedia

synopsis posted:

Mr. Inbetween is an Australian television black comedy-drama series. Ray Shoesmith is a deadpan hit-man who navigates his chilling business while also maintaining friendships, parental responsibilities and a fledgling romance.
The series is inspired by the 2005 indy feature film The Magician (2005), which was created, written by and starred Scott Ryan. Ryan reprises his lead role and is also a writer of the six part series.
Created by Scott Ryan and Nash Edgerton (Director of Gringo, brother of Joel) Mr Inbetween was commissioned by FX�s Australian channel, which was dumped by Foxtel in February. The plot follows Ray as he raises his precocious daughter Brittany (Edgerton�s real-life daughter Chika Yasumura) as he works as a hitman in Sydney's criminal underworld. Ryan wrote each of the 6 x 30 minute episodes, with Edgerton directing.

Cast

Ray (Scott Ryan) a father, ex-husband, boyfriend; tough roles to juggle in the modern age. Even harder when you're a criminal for hire.

Ally (Brooke Satchwell) An EMT and Rays girlfriend, who doesn't yet know his true nature.

Freddy (Damon Herriman) the local crime boss, owns a nightclub club where Ray works security.

Bruce (Nicholas Cassim) Ray's older brother who suffers from motor neurone disease. Helps out looking after Ray's daughter Brittany.

Gary and russian wife Tatiana (Justin Rosniak, Lizzie Schebesta) a close friend of Ray who deals guns and causes trouble.

Season trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epcgp45G34Q
Special Look featurette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBKWtc_dCgg
Teaser - Tea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gpue9MfOTo

An article on the long road to get this show made.

Edit: FX has renewed the show for a second season.

Rocksicles posted:

Australia.jpg

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sleeper hit for me. Big fan.
Helps that i recognise the landmarks without being smacked in the face by them. It's Sydney, but you'd hardly know it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I read "Australian" and I read "black comedy".

How does this compare to Wilfred :v: ?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dancer posted:

I read "Australian" and I read "black comedy".

How does this compare to Wilfred :v: ?

Not even close, its more a crime drama. But it's funny in very Australian ways.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This is far better than I thought it was going to be. From the preview I honesty just thought it was going to be a sons of anarchy clone but it’s really quite good. I’m glad I gave it a shot.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Wow. How did you get SoA clone from the previews?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Honestly I just wasn’t paying attention. It would often be right after a Mayans commercial and I didn’t think it looked all that great.
The stuff with the Russian brother was hilarious in the most recent episode.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't know if I can buy Dewey Crowe as a crime boss.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Phenotype posted:

I don't know if I can buy Dewey Crowe as a crime boss.

How about as a trans woman? https://youtu.be/o2R-DPhzfFY

Besides, he isn't a very good crime boss in this. There is a hint of if dewey crowe-ness to his character in that things don't go his way.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
What a great little show and a good end to the season. The last episode was great for the underlying comedic effect of gently caress up criminals.

FX has renewed it for a second season: https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/mr-inbetween-renewed-season-2-fx-foxtel-1202973801/

I'm glad Ray eventually got his dimsims.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Loved this!

Did not realize just how much Australian slang I've never heard before, I imagine this must be what people outside the US feel like when they watch something like The Wire. Like I understand more or less what they mean, but don't know exactly what the gently caress they just said.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector 34 posted:

Loved this!

Did not realize just how much Australian slang I've never heard before, I imagine this must be what people outside the US feel like when they watch something like The Wire. Like I understand more or less what they mean, but don't know exactly what the gently caress they just said.

American slang hasn't been a mystery for 20 years.

UK slang is the worst to get your head around. Unless you listen to grime. Thats the key

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Another person chiming in late to say this is a great little show you should watch.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I really liked this. The 2 guys he was in the car with for the bulk of the last 2 episodes cracked me up.

Quick question though. When he finds the guy on the payphone in the 5th episode, he says "Jack or Dog?" What did that mean?

The movie this was based on, the Magician, is available on Amazon. I'm gonna give it a watch this weekend.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AFewBricksShy posted:

I really liked this. The 2 guys he was in the car with for the bulk of the last 2 episodes cracked me up.

Quick question though. When he finds the guy on the payphone in the 5th episode, he says "Jack or Dog?" What did that mean?

The movie this was based on, the Magician, is available on Amazon. I'm gonna give it a watch this weekend.

jacks are cops
Dogs are snitches, can mean general scumbag too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

This was a nice, concise show from start to finish. It was nice watching something without filler and really enjoyed the main actor in this role.

Hope he gets into more stuff!

• Locked thread