Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1057646303142989824

The Capitals won the Stanley Cup, so no moments haunt me.

...but if I had to pick, it'd be Sidney Crosby's "golden" OT goal in the 2010 Olympics. That was a gut punch.

What about you SAS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That’s a good costume but it really should be Wilson in a suit eating nachos in the press box.

Edit: with the Stanley Cup :smug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Idolizing a thug who tries to injure other players. That’s bad parenting.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Close, but for me the choice is Ty Conklin securing his place in Hell a few minutes after that.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

...but if I had to pick, it'd be Sidney Crosby's "golden" OT goal in the 2010 Olympics. That was a gut punch.

What about you SAS?

GuavaMoment posted:

Close, but for me the choice is Ty Conklin securing his place in Hell a few minutes after that.

Both acceptable answers. In recent times it's "Peter Chiarelli has been hired as the Oilers GM", and closely behind is Game 5 of the Oilers-Ducks 2017 series.

Kilza fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 1, 2018

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

2011 is the obvious one that's been said already so I'll go with my first.

Nicklas Lidstrom from centre ice.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

When I got a question to answer that was tangentially related to baseball on final Jeopardy.

I had never heard of the Baltimore Orioles

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

T-Bone posted:

I knew this team. This team and their fans. They were in love with each other. The fans were very young, the team had just started, I guess. And the team was full of hockey players. They were kind of raggedy and wild. And the fans were very naive, you know. And together they turned everything into a kind of adventure. And the fans liked that. Just an ordinary Tuesday game against the North Stars was full of adventure. They were always cheering at stupid things. The team was barely .500, and the fans didn’t much care because all they wanted to do was be with them. They were always together…Yes, they were, they were real happy. And the fans, they loved their team more than they ever felt possible. They couldn’t stand being away from them when they went on the road. Some of them got two jobs, just to afford tickets. And when the economy got bad, they'd watch from home. But pretty soon, the team started to worry. Money, I guess. Not having enough. Not knowing when the next check was coming in.

And the fans started to get kind of torn inside. Well, they knew they had to support the team, but they couldn’t afford the tickets either. And the more the team lost, the crazier the fans got, except now, they got really crazy. They started imagining all kinds of things. They started thinking that the team was going to move down South. They'd come to the games and accuse the owner of having secret meetings with Gary Bettman. They'd yell and break things around Winnipeg. Yes, they played in Winnipeg… Anyway, the fans started to drink real bad, and they'd even root for the Leafs, to see if the team got jealous. They wanted the team to get jealous, but they didn’t. Their owner just talked to Gary more and that got the fans even madder…because the fans thought if they never got jealous about them, that they didn’t really care about the city. Jealousy was a sign of the team's devotion to the city. And then one night, one night, the team made the playoffs. They were going to be in the Stanley Cup playoffs. And the fans couldn't believe it, and then suddenly everything changed. The economy turned around. They stopped drinking and got steady jobs. They were convinced the team was staying now, now that they were in the playoffs. And they were going to dedicate themselves to going to every home game. But a funny thing started to happen…the fans didn’t even notice it at first. The team started to change. From the day they clinched a spot, their owner got irritated with everything around him. He got mad at everything. Even their sellouts weren't enough him. The fans kept trying to make everything all right for him. Buy his things. Go to a home game once a week. But nothing seemed to satisfy him. For two years, they struggled to cheer for the team like they did when they were in the WHA, but finally the fans knew that it was never gonna work out. So they hit the bottle again. But this time it got mean. This time, when the team lost, they weren't worried about it, or jealous, they were just enraged. They accused the owner of holding them captive by threatening a move. They told him that they dreamed of a playoff victory. That was all they dreamed about : the playoffs. They saw the team at night wearing white jerseys, skating across rinks, skating across riverbeds, always skating, and always, just when the team was about to win, he’d be there. He would stop them somehow. He would just appear and stop them. And when they told him these dreams, he believed them. He knew he had to move the team or the franchise would die forever. So when the fans started bringing cowbells to the game, he learned how to muffle the bells by banning them from the arena, and leaving the rink after the first period. One night the fans got wind that the team was moving. They protested outside of the arena. He just walked by them, just walked by, listening to them scream. Then he listened to the fans in the arena scream, and he was surprised at himself because he didn’t feel anything anymore. All he wanted to do was sleep. And for the first time, he wished he were far away. Lost in a deep, vast country where nobody cared about hockey. Somewhere without ice or skates. And he dreamed about this place without knowing its name. And when he woke up, he was on fire. There were red flames burning the sheets of his bed. He ran through the flames toward the only team he loved, but they were gone. His arms were burning, and he threw himself outside and rolled on the cold snow. Then he ran. He never looked back at the fire. He just ran. He ran until the sun came up and he couldn’t run any further. And when the sun went down, he ran again. For five days he ran like this until every sign of the Jets had disappeared.

I appreciate this.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

A Typical Goon posted:

For profit companies are bad at doing charity??

Those foundations are separate tax-exempt non-profit companies that are owned by the same parent company as the team but aren’t run by the same people. They have their own staff that only do the charity work.

At least that’s how it works in AMERICA, I have no idea how non-profit corporations run in Canada.

Sorry I ruined your joke by taking it seriously.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey kale if you want more perspective on where ideas like deep state and vast (insert enemy team) conspiracy grew out of, slate has an amazing podcast called Slow Burn

Season 1 is Nixon, Season 2 is Starr Report (Clinton)

The conspiracy and go team stuff is background, but the main topics are fascinating anyways.

Yeah Ive read Slate from time to time. They seem to do a lot better job than mainstream news in a lot of areas. Fairly sober left of center perspective without any browbeating sensationalist type writers that ive come across.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-XQAHx9dvY

I was at this game. It was my first and only playoff hockey game. I loving hate Ville Leino

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Unrelated to haunting, but a related video in youtube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4VV1PrbkK3E

When the Flyers openly mocked Tampa’s 1-3-1. Classic stuff.

Kale
May 14, 2010

For me in recent memory the Habs vs Sens first round playoff series in 2013. The habs came in overwhelming favorites from every pundit and had been looking great most of that season and then proceeded to get every bad call, every dumb penalty and Mark Stone came back from apparently having his wrist shattered in the first game yo score every single time he had the puck it felt. Anderson was also practically unbeatable and unbelievable and the whole playoff series just ended up being a poo poo show for the Hans that was painful to watch. The Sens also got swept the next round too i believe when they werent playing a team that hosed the dog.

e: my bad Mark Stones miraculously healthy wrist was from 2015. The horror show from 2013 was Grybas leaving Eller bleeding out on the ice. Man that was just such a feel bad series all around and I was terrified to see Montreal going into another series against Ottawa in 2015 with Price coming off his MVP year fearing rhe worst that after his best season they were going to get swept. Luckily that one sort of managed to salve the 2013 series a bit but not much honestly.

Kale fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 1, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mennoknight posted:

Pavel Bure screaming down the wing and blasting a slapper past Mike Vernon in 1994 in OT in game 7 and my neighbours laughing at me through the wall of our duplex while I cried and threw my Lanny McDonald doll as hard as I could against the patio screen

Gelinas goal for me. Shoulda counted.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

For the Hawks, much has been purged. But running into the Jagr wall in the 92 SCF, I don't think we've excised that demon fully yet, especially with the current incarnation.

For me personally, the Clint Malarchuk incident.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

As a Pens fan, everything about that 2012 Pens-Flyers series was a nightmare. Endless amounts of bad goals, blown leads, stupid fights. It had everything.

As a Sharks fan, definitely the goal that sent the Canucks to the SCF in 2011. Like... how the gently caress did that happen. How did the puck get so lost. Awful, awful moment. Blowing the 3-0 lead to the Kings was an extended hellhole of a moment. And nobody remembers it since they won the series eventually, but Dan Boyle's own goal in OT against the Avalanche was just crushing to watch live.

As a Preds fan, blowing two straight three goal leads against the Blackhawks and losing a series to Scott loving Darling of all goaltenders in 2015, including two multi-OT losses was just devastating. Worst moment, though, was probably Kane's shorthanded goal in game 5 of the 2010 series with 14 seconds left and the Preds on a 5 minute power play. Awful, awful, awful. I can't say Hornquist's goal in game 6 of the SCF since, well, I'm also a Pens fan, so that's out.

As a Jackets fan, Boomer and CBJSprague have already covered all the bad moments. Personally, I'd go with checking my phone on the last day of the season while games were still being played and seeing the Jackets had a playoff spot momentarily since they had beaten whomever, only to find out once the plane landed that it had been snatched away. As you can tell, I don't remember the specifics, but that stung.

As a Coyotes fan, there really haven't been any "moments" of devastation lately. Just a long, boring rebuild since being eliminated by the Kings in an amicable fashion. I guess losing the series itself stung the most. But the most deflating game I can remember is game 7 versus the Red Wings, at home, with a sellout crowd, and the Yotes just got shutout in a horrid effort. In 2010 as well.

As a Panthers fan, hoo boy. The game 7 double OT loss to the Devils in 2012 was heartbreaking, but expected. No, the 2016 series against the Islanders was far, far worse. Three overtime losses. Two of them in double OT. Game 6 should've been a shutout win for the Panthers, but the officials refused to award the Panthers an empty net goal on what looked like two very clear trips by the Islanders. Then Luongo can't corral a rebound, and you've seen that Tavares OT goal a million times. Looking at the play in question again, I still think there was a tripping penalty, but I can see why it wasn't awarded. Here's the play(s) in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OcsxwB7Ve4&t=6083s.

Oh, and then the Panthers getting rid of Gallant, Smith, and Marchessault the next year was loving awful.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

When I got a question to answer that was tangentially related to baseball on final Jeopardy.

At least you have a good knowledge of cities in Africa!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The bad calls of the Pens Preds SCF game 1. It set the tone for the entire momentum of the series.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Chad Sexington posted:

What about you SAS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjhF6Z3qyyo

before this happened I didn't really care who was going to the finals that year. Then I watched this happen and there being no penalty, nothing. Since then I've been "gently caress the Kings"

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Aside from the obvious 1994, I think the one which hurt even more was Devils/Canes 2009 Game 7. Devils were up 3-2 with about a minute left and lost... In regulation. The goals were so stunning, I was positive they were about to advance.

It hurt also because I thought that 2009 Devils team was the best team in the East and that had they gone on to win that game I thought they would have a very good chance at going all the way.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aces High posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjhF6Z3qyyo

before this happened I didn't really care who was going to the finals that year. Then I watched this happen and there being no penalty, nothing. Since then I've been "gently caress the Kings"

You werent saying "gently caress the Coyotes" when in Torres tried to murder Hossa in the series right before that?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Canucks first in the Pacific again.

Just in case you were wondering if the Pacific was still trash.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I remember some tense games between the Leafs and Bruins in the last decade but I'm pretty sure that they weren't playoff games.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Chad Sexington posted:

What about you SAS?

I wasn't actually a fan at the time so I can't say this personally haunts me (especially not in a post-Capitals Championship world) but I think this is the obvious Capitals moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHLkk2gV3C4

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pungry posted:

As a Pens fan, everything about that 2012 Pens-Flyers series was a nightmare. Endless amounts of bad goals, blown leads, stupid fights. It had everything.

Yeah it's a toss up between that and the 96 loss to the Panthers for me. I was too young at the time to properly appreciate the 93 loss.

That 2012 series did a lot of damage to my liver though. Bylsma/Fleury should have been run out of town after that. Can't complain about 3 Cups though so whateva

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

HMS Beagle posted:

I appreciate this.

it's not often you get the chance

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
"The trade is one for one."

HookShot posted:

Hey, that was, like, last week!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Teemu Selanne missing an empty net wraparound in game 7 in 2002 sucked rear end

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

What about you SAS?

Halak was covered earlier but I think I’m gonna go with the entire Adam Oates season and how he almost destroyed Holtby’s career.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It's November. Somebody make a new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Ok

• Locked thread