Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

what are those wacky English Scots getting up to now?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-45733111

quote:

Mr Scott said it was "ridiculous" that he had to change the law to close the box.
He said: "There is no excuse now for the Scottish government, its agencies or others to put Shetland in a box. The box is closed. It doesn't exist, whether that be in the Moray Firth or east of Orkney. Shetland is now in the right place.
Islands minister Paul Wheelhouse welcomed the requirement coming into force, alongside the rest of the bill.
He said: "The Scottish islands have contributed and continue to contribute hugely to our culture and heritage and, with this act now starting to take force, will now have the opportunity to contribute even further to their own and our collective futures.

quote:

A spokesman for the Ordnance Survey said: "The Shetland Islands are approximately 245km (152 miles) from the Scottish mainland, from the most northerly part of the Shetland Islands to John O' Groats, and 690km (428 miles) from the most southerly point of the Scottish and English border.
"It would be virtually impossible to print a paper map, with any usable detail, of this vast geography."

tl;dr butthurt Scottish parliamentarians pass a law making it so that the Shetland islands must be displayed in their natural position on maps despite being hundreds of miles off the northern coast of Scotland, instead of in a box (like Hawaii or Alaska)

lol at wanting to ruin maps for the whole country because having your distant islands in a box is ‘annoying’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just give the islands to Norway. Problem solved. Who gives a shet?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Scary to think that the scots are still the most sensible of all the british peoples

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
compromise solution: include the entire distance between Scotland's coast and Shetland on maps, but label them Shithead Islands

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Some say the Emperor Hadrian built his wall so the Scots could concentrate all their efforts into fighting their most hated enemy,the Scots.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Do the same for the Falklands.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

quote:

The Lib Dem MSP said the common practice of placing Shetland in a box off the Moray Firth or the Aberdeenshire coast was "intensely annoying" to islanders, and created a false impression of the challenges they face on account of their remote location.

man life is so tough on our famously beautiful little archipelago, when will all this terrible box based intense annoyance and discrimination end? We must take legal action!

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
Moray Firth? Orkney? Wtf

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Scary to think that the scots are still the most sensible of all the british peoples

they're by far the worst.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Whorelord posted:

they're by far the worst.

spoken like a true scot

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

bitterandtwisted posted:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

an old, weathered fisherman sits in an old, weathered shanty near the docks of Lerwick. A mostly empty bottle of scotch sits on the bare table in front of him, all but unnoticed now. Tears rolls down his cracked face from eyes fixed on a large, tattered scrap of paper hanging from the draughty wall: a map of Scotland, with the Shetland isles in a little box. The tears come faster now.
“Oim so feckin intensely annoyed rn” says the old man to himself. A nearby pony neighs in agreement.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The "Shetland" detective show has convinced me that Shetland is the bleakest loving place on this earth.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn’t “shet” literally the Scottish word for “poo poo”? :airquote:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Icochet posted:

The "Shetland" detective show has convinced me that Shetland is the bleakest loving place on this earth.

is it worse than delaware or oklahoma

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

bitterandtwisted posted:

the falklands should be returned to their rightful owner

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oi thar boxey business down orkney way is a mite teense of a way past moray firth, innit

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

is it worse than delaware or oklahoma

I'm not familiar with these places. Do either of them look like god tried to make a swamp out of rock? Do they have a climate like he prepared to smite all living things with ice and wind but just went :chloe: and walked away?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Now we don't want to give Hawaii any ideas. We killed off their monarchy, and next we'll disrupt their supply lines for Spam if they don't keep it in line.

But seriously, half the state is running late for their shift at the Westin/Marriott/Hyatt/whatever and the other half is too busy being homeless and fighting over the rights to the Burger King dumpster, so it's not a real concern, tbh.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Icochet posted:

I'm not familiar with these places. Do either of them look like god tried to make a swamp out of rock? Do they have a climate like he prepared to smite all living things with ice and wind but just went :chloe: and walked away?

looks better than delaware imo

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Walrus posted:

oi thar boxey business down orkney way is a mite teense of a way past moray firth, innit

I have no idea what accent was in your head when you typed this

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

This is a great way to just get left off of maps altogether well done shetheads

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's nice to know that a bunch of inbred hillbillies in the middle of actual nowhere ruin things for everyone in other countries, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

• Locked thread