Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It doesn't seem like we have a thread for this genre of game. Perhaps because they have fallen into disfavor after being mainstream during the 80s and 90s. However, they never went away and are going through a bit of a revival.

What is a point and click adventure?

quote:

Point-and-click adventure games are those where the player typically controls their character through a point-and-click interface using a computer mouse or similar pointing device, though additional control schemes may also be available.[49] The player clicks to move their character around, interact with non-player characters, often initiating conversation trees with them, examine objects in the game's settings or with their character's item inventory. Many point-and-click games would include a list of on-screen verbs to describe specific actions in the manner of a text adventure, but newer games have used more context-sensitive user interface elements to reduce or eliminate this approach. Often, these games come down to collecting items for the character's inventory, and figuring where is the right time to use that item; the player would need to use clues from the visual elements of the game, descriptions of the various items, and dialogue from other characters to figure this out.

-----

I thought it would be fun to have a Game of the Month; along with discussion and all that that entails.

Because I am starting this thread, to get things going, let's play:

Day of the Tentacle.

quote:

Also known as Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle, is a 1993 graphic adventure game developed and published by LucasArts. It is the sequel to the 1987 game Maniac Mansion. The game's plot follows Bernard Bernoulli and his friends Hoagie and Laverne as they attempt to stop the evil Purple Tentacle—a sentient, disembodied tentacle—from taking over the world. The player takes control of the trio and solves puzzles while using time travel to explore different periods of history.

It's available pretty much everywhere now. It's on PS4, Windows, Mac and even the Vita and iphone/ipad. It is on the shortlist for greatest point and click adventure ever made. It's also fairly mild on the difficulty scale and very funny. A great place to start for newbies and a comfortable place to go back to for veterans.

Also, let's try to avoid spoilers until the final week of the month out of respect to new players. Asking for hints is encouraged, of course.

-----

It would be nice to get some suggestions for next month. I think if we could choose five games to vote from each month and choose in last week or two it could work. How about for month two:

Space Quest 1 (because it's short and we will eventually play through the series if this threads gets any momentum)
Kings Quest (The new one. It is supposed to be excellent and is available on modern consoles and PCs)
Broken Sword 1
Gabriel Knight 1
Secret of Monkey Island 1

All of these are available from gog.com or steam. And we can always change the monthly candidates. If there is something you feel should be considered, let's hear it. Perhaps one month could be non-traditional games like Portal 2 and some of the Nintendo DS offerings. Another month could be black sheep/controversial titles like Runaway, Phantasmagoria, Toonstruck & Myst.

------

***It's been brought to my attention that there is already an adventure games thread. So let's just make this a game of the month/discussion of said game thread. Redundant, true, but let's see how it goes?***

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Voting Broken Sword 1, solely because you could easily have LEC games just monopolize everything, and that series is lesser known and deserves some recognition.

That said, to this day Monkey Islands 1-3 are some of my favorite games of all time. My favorite point and clicks (in no particular order):

Monkey Island 1-3
Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, same for Fate of Atlantis (which was even better)
Space Quest V (by far the best one)
Space Quest I (classic. The others are good too and get honorable mention)
Woodruff and the Schnibble (funny and amazing artstyle but mediocre puzzle logic)
Broken Sword series
Simon the Sorceror
Loom
Rex Nebular and the Intergalactic Gender Bender
Quest for Glory 1
King's Quest 1, 4, and 5
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Beneath a Steel Sky
Kyrandia 2: The Hand of Fate
Gabriel Knight (amazing music)
Grim Fandango

I can add more if people care, including modem ones. The whole genre holds a special place in my heart.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 5, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is LEC? Lucasarts Entertainment Corp?

Another nice thing about Broken Sword and the Monkey Islands is they have been remastered and are playable on most newer systems.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Kyrandia 3 is the only game I'd consider worth discussion, so I'm voting for that one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khheAQ8ZKvg

One of my favorite game background music tracks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

What is LEC? Lucasarts Entertainment Corp?

Another nice thing about Broken Sword and the Monkey Islands is they have been remastered and are playable on most newer systems.

LucasArts Entertainment Company, to be precise, but yeah, they were basically the top of the game for the entirety of the 90s. They and Sierra were the most prolific, Sierra had a lot of stinkers or more accurately games with asinine and insane puzzle logic, which is the core gameplay conceit of the genre so if you gently caress that up that's sort of a big deal. LEC was generally pretty consistent and didn't have the same level of bizarre chains as some games of the genre, they also had some of the best humor since they had guys like Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer on staff.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh yeah, definitely. They definitely improved upon Sierra's vision. I don't think Sierras puzzles were that bad. The problem was more about all the ways you could die. And I think some of the games had dead ends, too.

It makes me wonder, what is the worst puzzle offender? Discworld?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. They definitely improved upon Sierra's vision. I don't think Sierras puzzles were that bad. The problem was more about all the ways you could die. And I think some of the games had dead ends, too.

It makes me wonder, what is the worst puzzle offender? Discworld?

Discworld is probably one of the worst if not the worst I would say.

Also Fuzz, no love for Quest for Glory 4? It is by far my favorite in the series.

I have never completed Day of the Tentacle, though I own the remaster several times over on various systems. I think I may be ~1/2 way through my current playthrough, so I'm down.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How is the Scooby-Doo SNES game? I love Scooby-Doo and I love point-and-clicks, but the control scheme seems like it would be really frustrating and licensed games from that era are very hit-and-miss.

And yeah, the whole point of adventure games to me are that they're not based around life/death. I hate having to start over and repeat things that I've already done just because I died. I've stayed away from most Sierra games due to this, even though I know it means I'm missing out on some of the best of the genre.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Also Fuzz, no love for Quest for Glory 4? It is by far my favorite in the series.

I have never completed Day of the Tentacle, though I own the remaster several times over on various systems. I think I may be ~1/2 way through my current playthrough, so I'm down.

Never actually played 3 or 4 of QfG, so can't comment. That was the weird Elder Scrolls style 3D one that looked like it was heavily channeling Morrowind and Mesoamerican art, no?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Telltale's Sam & Max Season 2 & 3 are also worthwhile. Season 1 was kind of forgettable, but the latter two were much more ambitious.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Fuzz posted:

Never actually played 3 or 4 of QfG, so can't comment. That was the weird Elder Scrolls style 3D one that looked like it was heavily channeling Morrowind and Mesoamerican art, no?

I don't know of any QfG that goes into a First Person Elder Scrolls style if that is what you are referring to?

3 is the one that takes place in a pseudo African inspired plains/jungle setting
4 is based in a pseudo Russian inspired setting.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I don't know of any QfG that goes into a First Person Elder Scrolls style if that is what you are referring to?

3 is the one that takes place in a pseudo African inspired plains/jungle setting
4 is based in a pseudo Russian inspired setting.

To complete the list:

1 is the one that takes place in a pseudo Germanic fairy tale inspired forest/town setting.
2 is the one that takes place in a pseudo Arabian Nights inspired desert/town setting.
5 is the one that takes place in a pseudo Greek myth inspired islands (lots of beaches)/town setting.

1-2 were originally released in EGA with Sierra's text parser.
1 was officially rereleased in VGA by Sierra as a point/click option.
2 was unofficially rereleased in VGA by AGDInteractive Studio.
3-4 were always VGA with a point/click.
5 was released in 1998 with an early 3D engine. The graphics are...not good. This one has more action elements than the others and could possibly be considered similar to Elder Scrolls in third person mode, but it's really not.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I was thinking of 5, yeah.

Either way, probably should just lock this thread or whatever.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Fuzz posted:

I was thinking of 5, yeah.

Either way, probably should just lock this thread or whatever.

I have replayed 1-4 several times in each revision they have been released in.

I own 5 digitally and physically and still have never gotten past the first dialogue setup of the initially entering the town. Such a disappointment.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I would say Woodruff is the worst offender for puzzle design. Discworlds might be surreal but Woodruff is both surreal and totally dependant on the manual because some of the spells and TV channels are impossible to find without it.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

One of these days I'm going to go back and finish Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I played a metric SHITLOAD out of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary. Not complete point and click, you also have HI-OCTANE FIGHTS between starships that feel vaguely like playing X-Wing or something!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I love the way Pratchett described it:

the man himself posted:

To get the walkthrough, you have to take the sponge from Nanny Ogg's pantry and stick it in the ear of the troll with the tutu, then take the lumps and put them in the pouch with the zombie's razor.

e: Looking these games up again, I think I need to actually give them a play (with a loving walkthrough because I'm not a complete insane person). I'm a pretty huge Discworld fan and it seems like the games are basically made for people like me. Specifically, I loving love anything to do with Unseen University (and especially the Librarian, who is, altogether, probably my favorite running joke in the franchise).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wrageowrapper posted:

I would say Woodruff is the worst offender for puzzle design. Discworlds might be surreal but Woodruff is both surreal and totally dependant on the manual because some of the spells and TV channels are impossible to find without it.
I don't know if it's a problem with the english translation but I finished Woodruff in the original french without needing to look at the manual, everything was indicated in-game. The only problem I encountered is the first release was in bad need of a patch so there were at least two places where you could sequence break without even being aware of it (but they did patch that).

On the other hand the first Discworld was hell (didn't play the second but Discworld Noir was quite manageable).

• Locked thread