Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Everybody's favorite okay adaptation of everyone's favorite anime lawyer series is back! We're doing Trials and Tribulations, the third game in the series, which follows Phoenix Wright in his third year as an attorney as a case from his past catches up with him.

Phoenix Wright/Ryuuichi Naruhodou (Yuki Kaji/Eric Vale)
It's Phoenix! Our intrepid hero, rookie defense attorney, everyone's straight man, and just generally put upon by the world.

Mia Fey/Chihiro Ayasato (Chie Nakamura/Colleen Clinkenbeard)
Phoenix's dearly departed mentor. She's still been an asset to him even from beyond the grave. Her own early years will be key to our current mystery.

Maya Fey/Mayoi Ayasato (Aoi Yuuki/Lindsay Seidel)
Mia's younger sister and Phoenix's trusty assistant. She's a spirit medium in training, which has helped Phoenix out more than once.

Dick Gumshoe/Keisuke Itonokogiri (Masami Iwasaki/Bryan Massey)
A homicide detective with Criminal Affairs. Ends up investigating most of the cases Phoenix takes on. Can be as much of a help as he is a hindrance. Probably should be paid more.

Godot (Hiroaki Hirata)
A mysterious prosecutor with an odd visor and an addiction to coffee. He seems to harbor some sort of grudge against Phoenix.

Miles Edgeworth/Reiji Mitsurugi (Masashi Tamaki/Christopher Wehkamp)
One of the sharpest prosecutors in the district. Phoenix's childhood friend and fiercest rival.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad start. I haven't actually played the games (most of my knowledge comes from Let's Plays and the previous anime) but was the opening case of 3 quite as short as it was presented in this episode?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This was actually not the opening case of the third game! This was the opening case of the second game! And the next one is the second case of the third game. The first case of the third game is a bit special, and I can see a good reason for them to put it in later.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

This was actually not the opening case of the third game! This was the opening case of the second game! And the next one is the second case of the third game. The first case of the third game is a bit special, and I can see a good reason for them to put it in later.

I still find it weird that we're skipping 3-1 and adapting the case the previous series skipped, but it's fine. 2-1 isn't a great case and this adaptation genuinely made it enjoyable, much like last season with 2-3. Considering the rest of 3 is some of the franchise's strongest (if not flat-out the best in it) I can't wait to see what will happen.

I'm also glad to see that Nick's wind powers have only gotten stronger with time and he has now graduated to light control.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think I've already got a good idea as to how they're going to order things from here on out. I'll just say, the first and fourth cases of the third game are flashbacks, so it's not like the continuity is out of whack by them being rearranged.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

By the way, how's the dub of the first series? I only ever saw the subbed version.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

From what I've seen of it, it's pretty alright. They're doing a simuldub this season, too, so we should start getting that in a week or two.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm going to watch S2 over S1 just out of curiosity. Hopefully it'll be a OK adaptation.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I think skipping 3-1 until later will make the ramp up to the final case a lot better; it was something that always bothered me about the actual game.

How many cours is this supposed to run? S1 adapted two games over two cours, but felt really rushed. I don't think they can fit all of PW3 into one cour without similar things happening, but two cours seems pretty difficult to. Maybe they'll adapt Rise From The Ashes?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Waffleman_ posted:

I think I've already got a good idea as to how they're going to order things from here on out. I'll just say, the first and fourth cases of the third game are flashbacks, so it's not like the continuity is out of whack by them being rearranged.

It kind of ruins the overarching mystery though.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Did Crunchyroll stop doing that thing where there's a subtitled version with the localised names?
I was just about to start watching the second season but although there's links for two English subtitles in the episode descriptions, both of them have the Japanese character names.

InspectorCarbonara fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 27, 2018

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
second season's been going a lot better than the first. the pacing in the second case has felt natural, the callbacks to the game in terms of shot framing and character animation have been great, and the changes to the script mostly don't feel stilted like they did in the last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Did Crunchyroll stop doing that thing where there's a subtitled version with the localised names?
I was just about to start watching the second season but although there's links for two English subtitles in the episode descriptions, both of them have the Japanese character names.

The localised subs are there but yeah, the buttons aren't working properly. I managed to get onto them by accident while pushing various language buttons on various episodes to compare but I couldn't give you a guide.

• Locked thread