Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Recently released on Steam for North America and parts of Asia, it's free to play and currently only has one way to pay in: a $3 "founder's pack" that gives some cosmetics.

Ring of Elysium!

Are you tired of battle royales that lack a premise for why there's a randomly constricting ring?

What if you're in a mountain region and the storm from The Day After Tomorrow is rolling in? And it's not a ring, it's zones? Apparently there was a ring in alpha--hence the name--but there's no ring now and it's a cool breath of fresh air.

Also, there are Classes:

Gliding: You can't carry as much, but you can open up a glider at any time as long as you've got a bit of altitude. You can use pistols and submachine guns in a 180 degree arc in front of you while gliding. Starting gun is a Glock 9mm. Mobility 3, Carry 1

Skiing: It's snowboarding. But you can do tricks! They don't give you points or anything but they're surprisingly great if you've got enough velocity to get sweet air. Excellent for mobility as long as you're moving downhill. If you play right, you don't have to worry about getting a vehicle. Devs apparently have plans for simultaneous snowboarding and pistol/SMG but currently if you're snowboarding you are unable to engage in combat. It's a quick toggle, but you do have to be on the ground to toggle. Starting gun is a USP 45. Mobility 2, Carry 2.

Climbing: Technically there are some locations you can climb with the climbing pack, but they really only save you a small amount of time compared to walking around to get to those locations. The climbing class has two major bonuses: there are ziplines all over the place and only the climbing pack can use them. Gravity is not a factor with ziplines, so you can travel the zipline network in any way you'd like. I believe you can use pistols and SMGs while ziplining, just like gliding, but I do know you can turn around and zipline the other way while on the line. The other bonus is that the climbing class has the highest carrying capacity. But you start off with a skeet shooter. Starting gun is an over-under shotgun. Mobility 1, Carry 3.

Why should I play this when PUBG exists?

Well, you won't want to play PUBG once you've given RoE a shot. The quality of life improvements regarding inventory management alone would do it plus the freedom of movement but what if you engaged in a battle royale where you didn't have to dive out of a plane with everyone else? What if you could pick where you started?

Here's a typical arrangement for solos:

The blue squares are where players have claimed. That's right, you can actually go into a game having a rough estimate of how many people are around you.

How do you win?

There's a final zone randomly determined per match. There's a helicopter which arrives and stops over a random valid location and drops a ladder. There are four seats available. Shortly after the helicopter arrives and can be clambered into, the final zone turns into a danger zone like all of the others. There's a bit of meta with a "shave and a haircut" "two bits" call and response to go friendly vs. all dying to the storm. Don't count on it, though! I've been the only person who made it to the helicopter watching the two remaining players decide to die of exposure rather than let the other get on.

Also you can turn in a sensible way whilst prone

FFT fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
what's an ymir

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

it's the name of the storm

probably named after a frost giant or something

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Just a heads up OP: this is only out in NA and some parts of Asia currently.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Good call.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
You forgot the best improvement over pubg.

You can press Q.

And it pings wherever you are point gets pinged on your teams minimap.

And they get a marker on their screens.

And you don't try and describe the tree the bad man is hiding behind.

It's great.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

It is great! It shows up on the minimap and the main map and everyone's screens. Unfortunately, if you're pinging a point far enough to be out of the minimap, there's no notification at all that there's a ping unless you're looking in the right direction. Still, especially if you're on a team that's actively communicating, it's a huge improvement.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
This is the first battle royale game I've liked so far. I really like that you can get good enough gear after just a few houses, making it way more about fighting people than scrounging, and making it a lot less likely that you end up in a fight where you're 100% going to die. I also definitely prefer the spawn mechanic. Overall this feels way less random and has so much less downtime.

e: also managing your inventory isn't a terrible nightmare, it's just basically how it should be. and its performance isn't bad.

e2: I also like that the helicopter mechanic makes the end game fights have some sort of time limit, but it does seem like it can lead to a lot of sort of absurd stalemates.

a_good_username fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 13, 2018

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ah, here's the thread for this good game. Solid OP so far.

Would also like to mention the fact attachments are automatically put onto your gun when applicable. This does not apply to second sights. And speaking of...

You can attach two sights to most varieties of gun. You press V to switch between say a Red Dot and an 8x.

And then I guess some random bits to point out because of how often you'll never use them: There is a gondola line. You can ride and shoot from it. Also, there are apparently avalanches. I've yet to see one myself, but they are touted as being in the game. And deadly as poo poo.

Finally, get the free DLC pack with this game. It gets you a very swanky gray turtle neck which I will never take off unless they give me an Adidas knockoff full tracksuit.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Also, the gondolas can be shot off their tracks.

Though you must have gotten the turtleneck from a regular crate (I know I did), the DLC has two hats and two pairs of gloves.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
The turtleneck is the free dlc, the gloves and hats are the paid one.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

oh, that makes sense.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!
You CAN shoot the gondolas off the cables.

You CANNOT shoot an smg while ziplining

You CAN shoot someone with an smg while circling them with a glider

They CANNOT shoot back at you because they can never figure out where you are.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
If you press W while gliding you will lose altitude way faster than if you just press nothing. It took me so long to figure out how everyone else could glide so far.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pros:
-Smaller map, or at least feels smaller when over half of it goes away on the first Ymir.
-Extra movement options.
-Looting is fast and easy.
-Choosing a spawn point, holy hell.
-Less 15x sniping garbage.

Cons:
-Usual bullshit of shooting in these games; someone standing out in the open that immediately turns and kills you after you've already started firing on them.
-Only one map, no weather besides inside the Ymir.
-Running and jumping sometimes just doesn't work. I'll try to jump on something and just won't make it, then have to vault up it, even something just a foot high.
-Jesus Christ the vehicle physics. Half-life 2 and Halo 1 had better than this.

I'm enjoying it so far. With some clean up and more depth, it might make a name for itself in this crowded genre.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I've been trying to get my friends into this because its awesome but they're too burnt out on BR games in generally which is too bad because there are a lot of decent additions to this one. Mainly hang gliding and Q being in the game, but theres a lot of other goofy weird poo poo too.

Hang gliding is the best

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Cons:
-Usual bullshit of shooting in these games; someone standing out in the open that immediately turns and kills you after you've already started firing on them.
I'm enjoying it so far. With some clean up and more depth, it might make a name for itself in this crowded genre.

I think this also goes hand in hand with the game's optimization. It seems like for most free games to be really successful they generally also have to be able to run even on very low end PCs. I think getting higher frames might also make some of the mouse input feel a bit cleaner.

Some of the issues seem totally separate from that though -- e.g. I'll get cases where people kill me exactly as I kill them when we are both using smgs at close range etc. It seems like these sorts of scenarios shouldn't happen in a game with really solid netcode.

That said, I really like it so far and I think it could appeal to people, like me, who are fans of FPS games in general but bounced off of PUBG/H1Z1. I think it does a really good job of speeding up the game and giving more action, while still retaining tense/relatively strategic firefights.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

My approach in solos is "very well-armed pseudo-pacifist". I do not seek combat, but I resolve it. Even in my favor a reasonable fraction of the time!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love winter settings in action/shooter games, giving this a shot.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

FFT posted:

My approach in solos is "very well-armed pseudo-pacifist". I do not seek combat, but I resolve it. Even in my favor a reasonable fraction of the time!

My approach is more “semi-armed man who glides to gunfire like a moth to light”. This is great for kills but very bad for victories I think.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://streamable.com/0727u

This kind of thing is infuriating.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Game is v bad

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are the Ymir zones randomly determined during the game, or are all the zones pre-determined and the Ymir just chooses randomly from those presets?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Right, so here's the Northeast quadrant:

With a bit more contrast:

Those dotted lines mark zones. When Ymir starts closing in, four connected zones are safe. The next round, one of those zones is safe. The next round, that zone is divided into four sectors of which one is safe. In the last round the helicopter comes in and then nothing is safe.

As far as I've been able to tell it's random, but it does seem to trend towards the Southeast. I've had endgames in most of the sectors, though.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
Still haven’t found a replacement for this. Looking forward to more non-snow maps, though I’m curious how they’ll adapt the snowboard.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Skateboard :coolfish:

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Welp looks like they just added real money currency.

and some sort of experience tier unlock system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Any tips for a newbie to the game and/or the battle royale genre?