Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Personal update, which is also in a way a WCG update.
  • 2017-12-07: I returned my first WCG WU. I believe at that time I had a single quad-core machine crunching
  • 2020-01-13, 25 months later, I hit 100y of CPU time
  • 2020-07-30, 6.5 months later, 200y. By this time I was up to 6 machines, each of which was a minimum of 12 cores, plus 4 Raspberry Pis
  • 2021-10-07: 14.5 months later, 300y. The delay here was due to several personal pauses in crunching, including a two month hiatus due to moving house. Also, I had retired the four RPis, which did comparatively little work but whose cores added another 16 CPU-days of compute time per calendar day
  • 2023-08-21: Six hundred eighty-three days after getting to 300y, I hit 400y of CPU time for WCG
On the one hand, yay me 400 years. On the other hand... a little bit of that last, huge, gap is me going from six nodes to three earlier this year, cutting my CPU-days per day in half. But really it's all about the horrible transition that WCG has has since IBM peaced out in May of 2022 (that's not when the announcement was made; that's when they pulled their equipment and people). It's only been in the last two months that my machines have reliably had enough WCG WUs to crunch on them 24/7 again.

In the interim I've done a lot of work for DENIS, Einstein, and Milkyway. My current active projects configuration is:
  • WCG, weight 100
  • DENIS, weight 30 (though it's so bursty that I never have DENIS WUs waiting)
  • Einstein, weight 0 (start crunching when DENIS and WCG run dry, which still happens once every other week-ish)

I feel like there's been a general decline in BOINC project activity, which was noticeable even before WCG's troubles began -- though WCG used to be a bright spot rather than a source of worry. This isn't generalized doomerism for the future of volunteer scientific computing, and I think FAH is the most obvious counter-argument to that. But a lot of these sorts of problems are amenable to GPGPU analysis, and renting capacity for project analysis is a pretty standard thing now.

The whole reason I'm down to 3 compute nodes is that I've shifted my primary focus to FAH, and GPU compute adds a lot of expense. I may be willing to throw more money than most people at this, but I wasn't willing to absorb a 2X increase in costs, both in terms of buildout/upgrades and operating cost, for 6 nodes.

What's everybody else up to these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Congrats on 400 CPU-years.

I'm still running FAH whenever the heat is useful, or on days when we've had negative electricity prices. :norway: I'm still using my 1660 Super and a 1080 - never felt the need to upgrade yet.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Had our first snow, which means I feel ok with excess waste heat, so started up FAH again; now on my recently built computer, and my new CPU alone is better than my previous CPU+GPU. ~490k ppd for my Ryzen 7 7800X3D, vs ~380k ppd for my old Intel 4770K + GTX 960, kind of amazing.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

borkencode posted:

Had our first snow, which means I feel ok with excess waste heat, so started up FAH again; now on my recently built computer, and my new CPU alone is better than my previous CPU+GPU. ~490k ppd for my Ryzen 7 7800X3D, vs ~380k ppd for my old Intel 4770K + GTX 960, kind of amazing.

Wow, yeah, things have come quite a ways since the Intel 4-series. That would have been, what, 2014? (Nope, mid-2013, with DDR3 and 8MB of L3). Happy crunching!

In other news, there's a WCG SCC update for the first time in quite a while:

quote:

Dr. Shefali Chauhan at cc-TDI continues to validate 3 new compounds from CREB1 modeling studies that have cross-specificity for FLI1, the structured half of the EWSR1::FLI1 protein in Ewing sarcoma. Nikita Rozanov at cc-TDI and Dr. Tyuji Hoshino at Chiba University are processing hits for Brachyury (chordoma), FLI1 (Ewing sarcoma), KLF15 (myoepithelial carcinoma) and MyoD1 (sclerosing and spindle cell rhabdomyosarcoma), which Dr. Chauhan and colleagues will then validate. Dr. Charles Keller has recently submitted additional work on PAX3/7::FOXO1, now funded by NIH, as preliminary data for a $25M Cancer Research UK - NCI Grand Challenge in collaboration with Nurix Therapeutics and a network of academic collaborators.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I usually turn my work PC off at night, but then I remembered about Folding@Home and searched for this thread. And then I saw Asteroids@home so I signed up for that and will be leaving my work PC running it for as long as it has tasks that need solving. It's just a 6-core i5-10505 but it's better than nothing.