Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

accidentally grabbing one VHS copy of the dub of cowboy bebop at suncoast out of the entire set of subs still haunts me to this day

i wish i could remember who produced those

That would've been Bandai's short-lived US subsidiary. I don't remember the Bebop VHS's, but a friend of mine got their Escaflowne tapes, which came in beautiful hard clamshell cases with cover art from the Japanese LDs. I picked up Cowboy Bebop in their limited run DVD collector's edition in a numbered flip-top hard case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

accidentally grabbing one VHS copy of the dub of cowboy bebop at suncoast out of the entire set of subs still haunts me to this day

i wish i could remember who produced those

While the original is still good (and incidentally also happens to feature a female protagonist voiced by Megumi Hayashibara), Bebop is one of the few anime I’ve seen that I feel actually works better in English considering its setting and theme.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 8, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

While the original is still good, Bebop is one of the few anime I’ve seen that I feel actually works better in English considering its setting and theme.

I'd say Outlaw Star is another one who's dub works better as well.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
There's one of those per decade and Baccano is it for the turn of the millennium

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

TenementFunster posted:

yeah i’ve heard as much from other tittybaby dub-watching casuals :smug:

me and the rest of The Lost Otaku have never heard him speak before

hush now, Oxyclean

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Nipponophile posted:

That would've been Bandai's short-lived US subsidiary. I don't remember the Bebop VHS's, but a friend of mine got their Escaflowne tapes, which came in beautiful hard clamshell cases with cover art from the Japanese LDs. I picked up Cowboy Bebop in their limited run DVD collector's edition in a numbered flip-top hard case.
these are the ones i remember getting at suncoast:

was anime village bandai?

i have that same flip top DVD box set. it was a genuine collector’s item at one point. serialized and everything. a little worse for wear after a zillion people borrowed it back in college though.

Larryb posted:

While the original is still good (and incidentally also happens to feature a female protagonist voiced by Megumi Hayashibara), Bebop is one of the few anime I’ve seen that I feel actually works better in English considering its setting and theme.
the dub being on adult swim for nearly two decades rotted the brains of millions. i was blown away when i first found out who voiced Faye, though. huge departure from Lina/Rei

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 8, 2019

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

SolarFire2 posted:

Dubbed was all they had for El Hazard, which turned out to be fortuitous because that dub rules.

Speaking of, is there any place you can even find the El-Hazard OVA these days? I missed that one back in the day and it's a kajillion bucks for a used copy now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the Bebop dub is not necessarily better than the sub but it is one hundred percent an acceptable way to watch the show

like it's a legit toss-up between the two versions for me

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

these are the ones i remember getting at suncoast:

was anime village bandai?

Yep

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So something that I really dig about the magic in Slayers, or more specifically the spells invoking Mazoku lords, is that they will flat out not work on the Mazoku lords. Shabarnigdo is immune to all of those spells because their power specifically comes from him and his generals and it takes what is essentially the embodiment of chaos to take him down. Also it's really neat that Gaav Flare doesn't work after Gaav is destroyed because it can no longer call upon his power.
I honestly just love how much effort was put into world building by Kanzaka when he could have easily just half-assed a fantasy world.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Testekill posted:

So something that I really dig about the magic in Slayers, or more specifically the spells invoking Mazoku lords, is that they will flat out not work on the Mazoku lords. Shabarnigdo is immune to all of those spells because their power specifically comes from him and his generals and it takes what is essentially the embodiment of chaos to take him down. Also it's really neat that Gaav Flare doesn't work after Gaav is destroyed because it can no longer call upon his power.
I honestly just love how much effort was put into world building by Kanzaka when he could have easily just half-assed a fantasy world.

Him, Ryo Mizuno, Yuji Horii would be the faces on fantasy currency.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I started watching Demon Slayer and man this anime is loving working me over nearly every episode. I'm feeling sympathy for the villain they just happen to stumble across drat near every episode because of Tanjiro's ceaseless empathy for most every demon he comes across.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While Tanjirou has a lot of traits that are very common for the average Weekly Shounen Jump MC, there is a moment at the end of the... Swamp Demon arc, if I don't misremember? where the former fiancé of one of the demon's victims gets all mad about Tanjirou not arriving sooner to avoid the tragedy and how he could never understand what he's going through because Tanjirou is just this little brat (he's like 14 or 15 at this point, I think?).

And Tanjirou, bless his dadgum heart, offers a sober, if not downright wistful smile that tells you everything you need to know about the boi, and suddenly the dude gets it. The dude understands that Tanjirou's had some awful, awful poo poo happen to him, but he's still soldiering on, because he's trying to get somethin' going for himself (and Nezuko, obv, but mourning dude don't need to know that last tidbit). I honestly got a little misty-eyed with that scene.

I've been keeping up with the manga for like a year and a half now, but I decided to also watch the anime, and I honestly think it elevates the material from the first few volumes to a pretty nice place, so I'm excited to see Ufotable continue with the adaptation to the end. Also, here's the anime thread if you wish to also post your thoughts there. :)

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 9, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say posted:

While Tanjirou has a lot of traits that are very common for the average Weekly Shounen Jump MC, there is a moment at the end of the... Swamp Demon arc, if I don't misremember? where the former fiancé of one of the demon's victims gets all mad about Tanjirou not arriving sooner to avoid the tragedy and how he could never understand what he's going through because Tanjirou is just this little brat (he's like 14 or 15 at this point, I think?).

And Tanjirou, bless his dadgum heart, offers a sober, if not downright wistful smile that tells you everything you need to know about the boi, and suddenly the dude gets it. The dude understands that Tanjirou's had some awful, awful poo poo happen to him, but he's still soldiering on, because he's trying to get somethin' going for himself (and Nezuko, obv, but mourning dude don't need to know that last tidbit). I honestly got a little misty-eyed with that scene.

I've been keeping up with the manga for like a year and a half now, but I decided to also watch the anime, and I honestly think it elevates the material from the first few volumes to a pretty nice place, so I'm excited to see Ufotable continue with the adaptation to the end. Also, here's the anime thread if you wish to also post your thoughts there. :)

poo poo BEFORE that he showed the Hand Demon compassion and prayed for his soul. One of the biggest things about Tanjirou is that he shows compassion to EVERYONE that deserves it. The series has a few flaws with characters not being fleshed out til ways in and the whole thing with the Lower Moons and not showing their day to day hunting routines, but what it gets right it gets VERY right.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wark Say posted:

It's too late I've already finished it and I never do live posts so nothing I say will be accurate to when I first watched it now. I didn't mean to come off like I thought Tanjirou's empathy was a negative or anything I was more just caught off guard on how far it goes for the whole show and never stops. Once I stopped and thought about it, it definitely made sense though, with how he's literally carrying a reminder that demons aren't all terrible on his back most of the time (and also furiously driven to confront them because he's looking for a cure in the first place)

He's just a drat good person all the time. It's nice to have good boys in manga. First Tadano from Komi-San and now Tanjirou.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TenementFunster posted:

yeah i’ve heard as much from other tittybaby dub-watching casuals :smug:

me and the rest of The Lost Otaku have never heard him speak before
Some dubs are great, fam.

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't mean to come off like I thought Tanjirou's empathy was a negative or anything I was more just caught off guard on how far it goes for the whole show and never stops.
Oh, I never thought you were being negative. I just love gushing about how good a boy he is. Part of what sealed the deal for me is just how great of a job Natsuki Hanae did in bringing Tanjirou's kindness to the screen. :3:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 13, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the Slayers manga any good/different or is it basically just an adaption of the anime? Also, how many of the light novels have been translated at this point (officially or otherwise)?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

So is the Slayers manga any good/different or is it basically just an adaption of the anime? Also, how many of the light novels have been translated at this point (officially or otherwise)?

The manga is a bit more in-depth to the LN if I recall correctly and I'd like to know the same about the LN's myself though I've heard it's up t date, but requires Google-fu to find.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Slayers novels are coming westwords.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-07-03/j-novel-club-releases-slayers-novels-in-both-print-digital/.161424

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, now if only they’d announce a new anime series at some point.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I actually picked up the Slayers OVA and Movie collections pretty recently. I hadn't seen Slayers Excellent prior to this so it was fun seeing the three episodes that I hadn't seen before and I watched Slayers Return last night which I still think is Slayers in its purest form.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am ready to own physical copies of the slayers novels.

I am ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
are we getting a series or OVA to go along with “two thumbs up” or what