Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My smith I/OXs began disintegrating this season. I've used some super glue to get me through but it appears they are toast.
The cowards at Smith appear to have discontinued them, too. Sucks cause I invested into a couple extra lenses.. they wouldn't happen to be compatible with any of the newer smith models, would they?

Edit: just got some 4d mags on clearance. Figured if I get the newest hottest thing they might still be around when they die

Math You fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Pretty nice little last blast of winter we're getting here in the NE. I was sick yesterday but made it out a bit today and ought to be able to get out more before rain on weds turns this back into normal spring skiing poo poo. For now it's just powder town.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Telluride is awesome

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Math You posted:

My smith I/OXs began disintegrating this season. I've used some super glue to get me through but it appears they are toast.
The cowards at Smith appear to have discontinued them, too. Sucks cause I invested into a couple extra lenses.. they wouldn't happen to be compatible with any of the newer smith models, would they?

Edit: just got some 4d mags on clearance. Figured if I get the newest hottest thing they might still be around when they die

I have heard Smith is good about sending you a replacement if you contact them about it, I have not tried this myself yet though.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
First time I have ever felt comfortable hucking 10ft drops at killington. God is good

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Math You posted:

Oh huh, that's cool. I have an old pair of Anon M2 goggles that I bought in...2015 or 2016. It feels like they fog up way more these days, and the lenses are scratched in places. Is it normal for the antifog properties to wear off over the years?

ie, should I buy new goggles?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

You can buy a little thing of anti fog goop and treat the lenses

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Time posted:

First time I have ever felt comfortable hucking 10ft drops at killington. God is good

amazing how much difference powder makes, huh?

I've just bombed down a bunch of stuff the past few weeks that I usually avoid entirely or take very slowly

I finally skiied (one of) the Three Cliffs off Paradise at MRG

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Time posted:

I hit Jay Peak today, woods were still pretty soft despite being mostly tracked out, still found a couple pretty fresh spots. Gonna do Killy tomorrow and Sugarbush Wednesday for a bit if I'm not dead tired

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

fletcher posted:

I have heard Smith is good about sending you a replacement if you contact them about it, I have not tried this myself yet though.

can confirm, I was able to get a set of replacement lenses when mine debonded fairly quickly, although IIRC I had to pick from their existing stock

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

Oh huh, that's cool. I have an old pair of Anon M2 goggles that I bought in...2015 or 2016. It feels like they fog up way more these days, and the lenses are scratched in places. Is it normal for the antifog properties to wear off over the years?

ie, should I buy new goggles?

After 8 years I think you can justify a new set.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
But if they are perfectly fine, after fixing fogging issues, then why?

Edit: it's me, the unnecessary extra gear hater

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Did two days at Deer Valley last week. Day 1 it started at 30 and went to 50; sunny, standard spring conditions. Day 2 it started at 30 and dropped to 20; white out by midafternoon. Would have been awesome if I had not forgotten to put in contacts. Fogged glasses plus iced goggles plus sunny tint lenses plus whiteout at the top made for a very tense ride down.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I am an idiot and lost my beloved hestra Morrison pro gloves the other day.

Does anyone have arguments for or against the army leather patrol vs army leather goretex short?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Steve French posted:

I am an idiot and lost my beloved hestra Morrison pro gloves the other day.

Does anyone have arguments for or against the army leather patrol vs army leather goretex short?

I was mis-sold the army leather patrol gloves, they are very nice but not waterproof or even water resistant. They're relegated to wandering around the village duty.

So from those two I guess the goretex ones, though I prefer a gauntlet style so would get the heli version which is pretty benchmark.

ante posted:

But if they are perfectly fine, after fixing fogging issues, then why?

🤷‍♂️ I mean who cares but e.g. I doubt the fogging will be fixed long term and the elastic will be getting tired. Goggles are not a "forever" item.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Finally got back to skiing this week after fully sitting out the gangbusters season last year after I hurt my back. One day at Palisades in a storm where I couldn’t see poo poo, but had a good time lapping Shirley Lake. Anything else on the mountain was impossible to see or enjoy.

This was followed by a clear but very windy day at Heavenly where everything was wind holds. Since I was staying at the gondola, it was a coin toss between California side and Nevada and I’m glad I chose Nevada and lapped stagecoach a bunch. When Sky finally opened up I checked out California side but it was wind packed and icy.

Yesterday I took a lesson with a crusty old guy instructing, which despite the flat light and snow and fog was super helpful to unfucking my stance. Turns out if you keep more pressure on your shins in the boot your quads don’t burn out as fast. Sadly I had to leave before the storm finished this weekend but honestly 3 days was a good reintroduction, my back didn’t hurt at all (unlike my legs) and since I was going midweek I didn’t have to deal with the parking lottery at Palisades.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

I was mis-sold the army leather patrol gloves, they are very nice but not waterproof or even water resistant. They're relegated to wandering around the village duty.

So from those two I guess the goretex ones, though I prefer a gauntlet style so would get the heli version which is pretty benchmark.

Thanks; was definitely starting to lean away from the patrol and I think that seals it.

I’ve always preferred a tighter cuff under the jacket rather than a big gauntlet over it, but maybe that’s just racing background so I’m open to changing my mind. What do you prefer about the gauntlet style?

I swung through a shop with Hestras after skiing today and now I’m a bit torn; I’d like the goretex for real lovely days where I might not actually otherwise want to be skiing (SAR stuff etc), but trying on the non goretex version they felt way more comfortable and supple.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have big cuff gloves and I like how I never ever get snow in my jacket sleeves. Also cuts out the wind and feels warmer.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
It's super easy, while on the hill, to just smash your gauntlet down over your jacket and then cinch it down and then you're done and keep ripping

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Decent points, might be sold.

Maybe I’ll try putting my socks over the end of my pants too…

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I feel like the leather gloves, you're supposed to wax them and then they'll be waterproof (for a season).

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The heli gauntlets own, I have two pairs.

I put leather balm on them a couple times a season, but I'm using them 30+ days. They're 3 seasons old at this point and holding up great.

You can also get them in crab glove or full mitt if that's your speed too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I was a huge fan of the hestra heli gauntlets until I lost one and replaced them with Kinko mitts and now I’ll never go back from Kinkos

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My helis are dead after 10 years of at least 50 days per year, so minimum 500 days, probably closer to 600. And this is with regular care, the leather just finally tore and wore through. A good glove for sure.

I love the gauntlet design and whatever pair I get next will be the same. Not 100% on the helis as they aren't really the warmest, but I'll say they've held up really well.

E I realized it's 12 years, so probably closer to 750. They might not be the warmest but goddamn they're durable.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 31, 2024

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
if looking for a step up warm wise from the helis, the black diamond guide gloves have held up to -10 with 40mph sustained winds (winter ascent of mt Washington). Absolutely bulletproof too. Heinous ice climbing poo poo has done nothing to them. I put the wax on them regularly tho

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I like my BD guides a lot. Could use another slightly lighter, under cuff glove because sometimes they're too warm.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

regulargonzalez posted:

Telluride is awesome

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

My helis are dead after 10 years of at least 50 days per year, so minimum 500 days, probably closer to 600. And this is with regular care, the leather just finally tore and wore through. A good glove for sure.

I love the gauntlet design and whatever pair I get next will be the same. Not 100% on the helis as they aren't really the warmest, but I'll say they've held up really well.

E I realized it's 12 years, so probably closer to 750. They might not be the warmest but goddamn they're durable.

Yeah my seth morrison pro gloves were at least 8 years old, and in perfectly fine condition, which is why I’m so upset to have lost them.

Time posted:

if looking for a step up warm wise from the helis, the black diamond guide gloves have held up to -10 with 40mph sustained winds (winter ascent of mt Washington). Absolutely bulletproof too. Heinous ice climbing poo poo has done nothing to them. I put the wax on them regularly tho

Not looking for more warmth, I’m sure the helis would be just fine for that. If anything, the opposite: I want something that won’t suck for Tahoe days with mixed precip, to keep hands dry.

Anyway, despite being gauntlet-curious, I ordered a pair of the army leather goretex short gloves because evo had them in only my size for $130

e: make that evo had exactly one pair, and it was in my size, because they’re now sold out

Steve French fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 31, 2024

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

jamal posted:

Yeah I like my BD guides a lot. Could use another slightly lighter, under cuff glove because sometimes they're too warm.

My second pair are Rab under cuffs. Full leather palm and fingers with goretex on the back of the hand and wrist. Warm enough for almost every day, and much more dexterity than the guides.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Purgatory was supposed to get 4-6" through this morning and, as per usual this year, that was a lie. But it was cold after a couple days of warm temps, so i got to ski a sheet of ice until I called it a day after 5 laps.

Give me snow or give me corn but gently caress this nonsense.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Steve French posted:

Not looking for more warmth, I’m sure the helis would be just fine for that. If anything, the opposite: I want something that won’t suck for Tahoe days with mixed precip, to keep hands dry.

I will admit that the Hestras aren't the best for wet, the fabric will get wet but you certainly can hit them on those parts with some Nikwax spray and that will certainly help.

I primarily ride the dry[er] Cascades, but if I was at Mt Hood or north into WA, I'd probably be looking at full leathers.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

I will admit that the Hestras aren't the best for wet, the fabric will get wet but you certainly can hit them on those parts with some Nikwax spray and that will certainly help.

I primarily ride the dry[er] Cascades, but if I was at Mt Hood or north into WA, I'd probably be looking at full leathers.

Well that’s why I got the goretex ones this go around

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah this freeze thaw cycle has been brutal, my poor dog’s paws are all raw.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Steve French posted:

Yeah my seth morrison pro gloves were at least 8 years old, and in perfectly fine condition, which is why I’m so upset to have lost them.

Anyway, despite being gauntlet-curious, I ordered a pair of the army leather goretex short gloves because evo had them in only my size for $130

e: make that evo had exactly one pair, and it was in my size, because they’re now sold out

Sorry I was responding to the guy above me saying his weren’t warm enough. The BD guide gloves are the only other gloves I have found that are that same level of quality but warmer

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

It’s really great how your powder board doubles as a wakeboard when it’s slushy enough. Top notch slush skiing today (loving finally).

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Mini winter 4.0 in Vermont. It will be dead in a week but it's absolutely insane right now, pure Iced Coast stuff, buckets of powder on top of no base and death and beautiful glade lines that happen to have running water bisecting them and poo poo like that.

Did like 7k feet of absolutely blessed stuff today, I'm beat to poo poo but going back at it tomorrow. I am not going to ski during the eclipse, if I was unmarried and childless I'd probably want to go ski and drop acid through the drat thing but as it is, "don't leave home on the day the state is overrun with tourists" seems like a real solid plan.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

19” fresh at Mammoth, temps are in the teens and continuing to storm so it’s light and dry No lift lines.

I’m solo with my two kids so I still have FOMO but helping kindergarteners strugglebus through pow is its own type of fun. (2, probably)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

And right after getting home from Mammoth, ended up doing an impromptu tour to the north side of Castle Peak for a few laps. Possibly the last powder day of the year, and excellent snow quality. Midwinter conditions in April.

Had one encounter with the snomo crowd where we were transitioning above an untouched line and a sled and timber sled showed up and just went straight down it right in front of us; didn’t affect the snow too much though and they were otherwise mostly sticking to other terrain.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

there was an honest to god used condom at the tip top of Paradise yesterday, which, eww and plz clean your poo poo up but also that probably means someone was loving up there during the eclipse, which I have to admit is fairly impressive.

I actually for real put my sticks up yesterday, washed my glove liners, etc. MRG closes this weekend; I might go ski dumb bumps at Kton one day next month once they stop charging for lifts, but, maybe not.

Slopes says: 35 days, 153 runs, 237.7k vertical feet, 191.4 miles, 58.1 mph top speed (I'm a little suspicious of that because it's almost 10mph over my next high; on the other hand I don't usually chase speed and I was that day and it was good powder with empty hills, so, maybe??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

As someone who spends a lot of time looking at a lot of GPS recordings, I would generally not trust GPS based top speed measurements