Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Hi, trying to troubleshoot a friends' computer which has the following issue:

Problem description: computer turns on, then power gets cut off within 2-3 seconds with a clearly audible *click* coming from the PSU (no beep noises), which I guess is the PSU going into protection mode to avoid damage. Sometimes it will even turn on properly, but it's like 1 in 15 times. Sometimes in those 2-3 seconds it stays on, the fans spin, sometimes they don't.

Attempted fixes: cleared CMOS - hooked up another 100% working PSU - took out RAM sticks one by one - took out GPU - disconnected HDD and SSD

Recent changes: none

--

Operating system: Windows 7

System specs: I7 4790k CPU, Asrock H97 Performance Fatal1ty motherboard, 16 Gb DDR3 TridentX RAM, Nvidia 970 GPU, 250Gb Samsung 840 SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD, Superflower Golden Green 550W 80+Gold PSU

so far, no dice. Considering the specs, we want to save it if possible, it's still more than enough PC for my friends' use for at least 2 more years...

I suspected (kinda hoped, actually) it was the PSU but after swapping it for my old one (which is still being used in my old PC so I'm certain it works, same 550W wattage too), same problem. I'm afraid it's either the motherboard or the CPU, but I don't have spares to test with ... I also still have to try unhooking every single cable, just in case there's a cable shorting somewhere, but it doesn't look like that

is there a way I can be 100% sure of what's the rotten component (mobo or CPU or whatever else)? I hoped to avoid having to change the mobo, especially since I guess H97 motherboards aren't that common nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

In general it's hard to discern mobo vs cpu issue, generally I would lean towards mobo unless you have been running the cpu extremely hot/manhandled the CPU during install.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

motherboard or cabling problem 100%. make sure there's not a screw shorting it out somewhere or something stupid.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

thanks. Not a cabling problem, it still does the same thing with no cables attached (except the main ones of course, tried both with current PSU, and a spare PSU that works 100%)

so I'm searching for a 1150 motherboard, it seems the only options available for decent prices are H81 motherboards which can be found for around 50€ (I could only find some used h97 boards for 100€+, prices for old hardware are loving insane, and nothing brand new). I wouldn't mind the no overclock part, just not sure if those support a 4790k ? They should with a BIOS update, and I expect that in 2018 they would come already updated, but they don't have internal connectors for USB 3.0 ports :v: drat it feels like I'm trying to fix a car from 1930.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

So you tried that second PSU just using onboard video as well?

And both PSUs make clicking noises?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Zogo posted:

So you tried that second PSU just using onboard video as well?

And both PSUs make clicking noises?

Yes, and yes. (the clicking noise is probably just a relay switching off due to a grounding issue, but I literally disconnected and reconnected everything including taking out the motherboard and putting it back in, I've rebuilt the PC from scratch basically so I don't think it's due to the case-mobo assembly... actually I will try to run it completely outside of the case just to be safe Edit: it won't run even when all components are out of the case)

This happens regardless of hardware installed (even with just cpu + cpu cooler and fan - no ram, no hard drives, no front panel USB, no nothing). Onboard video doesn't work at all.

I ordered a new socket 1150 motherboard from Amazon, I'll swap it in and if it still does that I guess it HAS to be the CPU or some other crazy problem with case or PSU in which case I'll return the new mobo to Amazon and look at other options... sigh

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

I'd be really surprised if you had a component like ram or the proc pulling enough current to pop the protection on the power supply and not catch fire. Take a really good look at the traces around the capacitors near the power supply connectors on the mb and the connectors themselves if you feel like it. Double check the fan connector and termination too, but if it spins up there's probably no problem there. Good luck!

• Locked thread