Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Games Done Quick Express 2018 is over! Thanks to everyone who helped out in raising over $137,000 for charity!

Impromptu thread because this kind of crept up on everyone so I had to speedrun making the thread which is why I'm just copying anything important directly from my SGDQ thread but anyway

Yes, even though it's not January or summer, it's Games Done Quick time! This time, it's a short event bearing the name Games Done Quick Express 2018, lasting only from Friday to Sunday, coming to you live from TwitchCon in San Jose! Starting on October 26th and ending on October 28th, it's a bite-sized version of the marathons you all know and love.

Turns out there's actually a chat thread too. Who would have thought?

=============

The schedule (that automatically adjusts to your timezone if you have Javascript enabled for the GDQ site) is your holy scripture for the event, letting you know when the runs you want to watch are supposed to start. Now, the times will change somewhat as the marathon progresses due to many runs finishing under estimate, but there are measures that will try to ensure that runs start when they're supposed to. The schedule is also available on Horaro (also time zone-adjusted).

You can watch the marathon at the GDQ main site, which when the marathon starts will have the stream, embedded chat, stuff like that. It's streamed on Twitch, so you can use the GDQ Twitch channel to watch as well, but the main site is usually preferable if you're going to watch through a browser.

But! You can also watch the marathon in your media player of choice, instead of Firefox or Chrome or what-have-you. For that, you want a little thing called Streamlink. If you've been using Livestreamer, you want to switch to Streamlink - it's literally a better Livestreamer, being a more developed fork of it under a different name. As with Livestreamer, there is also a Streamlink Twitch GUI to go with it - might need a bit of easy configuration. If you're having issues, ask either here or in any of the goon chats. We'll be happy to try to help you. I personally prefer to use it with mpv, but most anything that'll play video should work with it.

If you miss a run you really wanted to watch, don't worry. While it might be more fun to watch live, recordings of all runs will go up eventually on the GDQ Youtube channel. The exquisite website GDQ VODs, which is hosted by fellow goon Steve Holt, usually also tries to keep up with timestamped links to Twitch VODs during the marathon, and should that also fail you, there tends to be a thread for the same purpose on Reddit.

And what would a live marathon be without watching it together with others? The GDQ experience is usually heightened much by reacting to things together, so hop into one of the chats available. Stay away from Twitch chat, though. It tends to be quite toxic, and under very heavy load - has a decent chance of getting flipped to slow and/or subscribers only mode. Your two options for chatting should instead be IRC and Discord.

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org
Direct link | Quakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct link | synirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning Discord | Goon GDQ Discord

=============

Obligatory history section: Games Done Quick got started in 2010 with Classic Games Done Quick, a modest event that literally happened in Mike Uyama's basement, which raised money for CARE. In the time since, GDQ has grown a lot, and now hosts not one, but two huge speedrunning charity events annually - Awesome Games Done Quick in January, benefiting the Prevent Cancer Foundation, and Summer Games Done Quick in July-August, benefiting Doctors Without Borders. Right now, GDQ is the largest fundraising event globally for both charities. In 2014, AGDQ became the first GDQ event to break one million dollars in donations for a single event, and since the first marathon, GDQ events have to date raised a total of over sixteen million dollars for charity, including some one-off causes through online marathons such as Japan Relief Done Quick in 2011 and Harvey Relief Done Quick in 2017.

While anything you donate during AGDQ and SGDQ goes immediately to the charities, this is not the case for GDQ Express. As explained by the GDQx website:

quote:

What charity(s) will this be benefiting?
We will be benefiting the charities participating in TwitchCon's Charity Plaza. The exact charities will be announced later.

Will donations still be going directly to the charities?
No. All donations will go to an intermediary fund arranged by Twitch, in order to facilitate distribution to the participating charities in the TwitchCon Charity Plaza. As with our other events, Games Done Quick does not have access to donation funds.

=============

But of course you want to donate anyway. To do that, you head on over to the Games Done Quick Express 2018 donation page. Here, you'll be able to make your donation and leave a comment with it. If your comment is good enough, it might get read out by a host on stream!

Now, I know some of you think you know what's coming next: Prizes? Well... there are supposed to be prizes. They're just not listed in the tracker yet. So you won't get any example list of them here, so check it out later. There's also donation bids and incentives to be had - ranging from picking the name of a character, to what game is going to be played. You can find 'em all in the tracker!

=============

You might still have some questions, so here's the good ol' FAQ. A shortened version, at least.

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: There's... not any single good answer to this question. Read the schedule, and find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. We're going to try to keep a running list of recommendations as the marathon progresses.

Q: Will ____ be there this year?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past - it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. Especially not at a three-day event. And/or nobody submitted it.

Q: So... Super Metroid?
A: On Sunday. In the form of the A Link to the Past/Super Metroid Crossover Randomizer. Expect chaos.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: GDQx 2018 happens at TwitchCon in San Jose.

=============

So there we go. Even though it's just going to be a short event this time, let's enjoy it together all the same. And remember to stay comfy!

=============

Past marathon threads:
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat)

=============

Since I forgot to reserve the first post this is where recommendations will go

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

KennyMan666 posted:

Q: So... Super Metroid?
A: On Sunday. In the form of the A Link to the Past/Super Metroid Crossover Randomizer. Expect chaos.

Oh my gosh I'm so looking forward to this one. :allears:

(save the animals)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I almost apologize for forcing you to make this thread by mentioning it in #speedruns on synrc, but if I hadn't then I would've had to make with the OP and you're so much better at it than me (also I'm lazy).

I have to say, though, that the schedule they've put together is quite impressive, considering it's just a little add-on thing they're doing rather than a full show.

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh my gosh I'm so looking forward to this one. :allears:

(save the animals)
loving amen, brother. A Link to the Past/Super Metroid is an absolute blast almost everywhere I see it.
Can't remember seeing it at a GDQ though, is this the first GDQ it's happened at?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gdq

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Twitchcon, more like Witchcon

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ha ha, two threads. I'll just leave this one in both:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Just make this one the serious thread since it was posted first

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

D. Ebdrup posted:

loving amen, brother. A Link to the Past/Super Metroid is an absolute blast almost everywhere I see it.
Can't remember seeing it at a GDQ though, is this the first GDQ it's happened at?

GDQ hasn't done a whole lot of randomizers. AGDQ 2018 had a Link to the Past randomizer race, but this is the first time LttP/SM randomizer will be shown at one.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Just make this one the serious thread since it was posted first
That is indeed the entire idea.

Edit: To specify, whenever I post a marathon thread with an informative OP, the intention is for it to be a serious/effortposting thread. I wasn't sure we needed two threads for this event, but it'll be fine.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 25, 2018

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Two things:

There's prizes but the list isn't live yet.

I have a run Saturday morning. Repping that Metal Storm. :toot:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

UraniumAnchor posted:

Two things:

There's prizes but the list isn't live yet.

I have a run Saturday morning. Repping that Metal Storm. :toot:
With SpikeVegeta hosting, no less!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have a pretty busy weekend, but I'll try to watch it something interesting catches my eye.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I wish I could watch this, but I'm abroad on vacation. RIP.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

D. Ebdrup posted:

With SpikeVegeta hosting, no less!

He had to move his host shift and now it's xtratoppings.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

UraniumAnchor posted:

He had to move his host shift and now it's xtratoppings.
That's fine too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Did they like advertise this at all lol

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Squall posted:

GDQ hasn't done a whole lot of randomizers. AGDQ 2018 had a Link to the Past randomizer race, but this is the first time LttP/SM randomizer will be shown at one.

I’m glad it’s getting more traction. It’s super fun to play!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Good morning bird butt havers. Seems like I missed some quality burrito %.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Squall posted:

LttP randomiser was one of the best runs and more interesting than LttP so...

if you've seen ZFG do a randomiser 100% OoT run they are... they are less good. They are a clusterfuck.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Sooo, as I have not been paying much attention, has there been any must-see VODs?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

TeaJay posted:

Sooo, as I have not been paying much attention, has there been any must-see VODs?
SM/ALttP combo rando is a must-watch from beginning to end.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna trust your judgment on that, because rando as a concept bores me to tears.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Dropping the twitch timestamp link to my run (including the demon voice) here so I don't lose it:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/327677038?t=15h55m09s

The real run ended up being the best marathon run I've ever done of anything, only 16 seconds behind my PB after adjusting for timer differences.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks, I didn't know Twitch cached the whole stream like that before they post individual runs!

I can't get the sound to play right on your run though.

But congrats on how well it went!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I can't get the sound to play right on your run though.

That's what I meant by demon voice, it gets fixed a couple minutes in and I restart.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
This is probably a dumb question, but what's up with the yellow card thing at recent GDQs? I'm assuming it's not real and done for comedy, because some of the yellow card moments have been pretty strange. What's their actual warning system for runners?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

AccountingNightmare posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but what's up with the yellow card thing at recent GDQs? I'm assuming it's not real and done for comedy, because some of the yellow card moments have been pretty strange. What's their actual warning system for runners?

Its a big silly joke making fun of all of the folks saying you're not allowed to have fun at GDQ. I think it started at SGDQ18 because world cup was on around the same time.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So now that GDQx is over, what are the runs to watch? I didn't get much time to watch this weekend so off the top of my head I know these were good:

GTA Vice City
Symphony of the Night blindfolded
SM/LttP Combo Randomizer
SMB Lost Levels (Big Jon%)
SMB3 Co-op
SM64 120-star

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Definitely the SM/LttP Combo Rando, because of what happens during it, as well as the racers doing a pretty good job explaining the slang and what is happening onscreen.

TASBot as usual is amazing to see in action and has it's own badge :3:

• Locked thread