Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

That hole keeps getting deeper and deeper. Hahaha jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

b_d posted:

whens some indie nerd gonna make a hofstadter game. I don’t know how it would work just do it

zachtronics could probably take a swing at it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Relax Or DIE posted:

imo the further they get from the milsim roots, the more likely they're interesting.

take mario kart as your main design inspirations instead of pubg and you might have something.

Totally Accurate Battlegrounds then

Kinda the QWOP of Battle Royales

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

figured i'd ask here before trying to dig up the "games you can't remember the name of" thread from whatever page it's on, it's been rattling around my cold medicine addled head for the past couple of minutes:

there was a game some videos were shown of years and years back, probably not too long after the original portal came out and first person puzzle games with interesting gimmicks were in vogue for indie game developers. i don't know if it was actually intended to be a fully fledged video game release, or was just a video tech demo of some coder or student showing off their chops, but the main conceit was using forced perspective to make various items bigger/smaller to get through rooms. for example, you could pick up a spoon off a table and hold it up in front of a far away cliff and let go, and the spoon would become a gigantic spoon leaning up against it that you could use as a ramp. or, you could grab like the statue of liberty from off on the horizon, turn to your side, and put it down as a miniature souvenir on a bookshelf. anyone know what that was and/or what became of it?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Just gotta wait for the mount & blade devs to make a new game so it can be battle royale

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nevermind i took 2 seconds to google "forced perspective game" and it's from 2014 and called "Museum of Simulation Technology" and is just still on the burner:

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/mbxwja/how-this-long-delayed-indie-game-has-avoided-pissing-off-its-biggest-fans

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Just gotta wait for the mount & blade devs to make a new game so it can be battle royale
100 commanders parachute onto an island to raise 100 armies...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

figured i'd ask here before trying to dig up the "games you can't remember the name of" thread from whatever page it's on, it's been rattling around my cold medicine addled head for the past couple of minutes:

there was a game some videos were shown of years and years back, probably not too long after the original portal came out and first person puzzle games with interesting gimmicks were in vogue for indie game developers. i don't know if it was actually intended to be a fully fledged video game release, or was just a video tech demo of some coder or student showing off their chops, but the main conceit was using forced perspective to make various items bigger/smaller to get through rooms. for example, you could pick up a spoon off a table and hold it up in front of a far away cliff and let go, and the spoon would become a gigantic spoon leaning up against it that you could use as a ramp. or, you could grab like the statue of liberty from off on the horizon, turn to your side, and put it down as a miniature souvenir on a bookshelf. anyone know what that was and/or what became of it?

Sounds like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOfll06X16c

Cowcaster posted:

nevermind i took 2 seconds to google "forced perspective game" and it's from 2014 and is just still on the burner:

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/mbxwja/how-this-long-delayed-indie-game-has-avoided-pissing-off-its-biggest-fans

Whoops lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been playing Black Ops 4 the last couple days and it's p fun but I have clearly played too much Splatoon with it's super short matches because they feel like they last 200 years here (Especially Zombies)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i will say 2014 is a lot more recent than i realized, it felt like i had first seen the trailer for it when i was still bumming around college

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I played a couple games of Battlerite Royale and it was fun because the base game works reasonably well. I hope it does well, but the battle royale game type in general just doesn't hold my interest.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

when I was a painfully uncool kid I thought the song "backstreet's back" meant that the band had existed in the past and had reformed and this was their return song

I also thought this and frankly, we were both correct because they missed out on a perfect opportunity to use that now.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m going to replay all of Hitman 1 then buy the sequel for Christmas. Everything will be ok

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jay Rust posted:

I’m going to replay all of Hitman 1 then buy the sequel for Christmas. Everything will be ok

did you know if you own it you can play it for no extra charge in the hitman 2 engine, and get unlocks that will work with hitman 2? download the hitman 2 demo/starter pack and it'll let you import the hitman 2016 levels even if you don't own the full hitman 2 game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks, that’s pretty neat! I’ll do that

What are the engine improvements like?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The one time Link gets a date with a human girl who isn't a fish she turns out to be a figment of a fish's imagination

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Thanks, that’s pretty neat! I’ll do that

What are the engine improvements like?
there are performance and graphical improvements, but also they went back and made season 2 mechanics work on the season 1 maps, so NPCs can spot you in mirrors, you can hide in bushes, and you can hide big guns in briefcases to discretely carry them around

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Also you can smash people over the head with a briefcase

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The one time Link gets a date with a human girl who isn't a fish she turns out to be a figment of a fish's imagination

It's not a fish.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chumbler posted:

It's not a fish.

Neither are zora but let me have this joke

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

It's not a fish.

The Wind Fish isn't a fish? smh Nintendo...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's actually a legume

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cheetah7071 posted:

Link has only himself to blame for ignoring Malon and Midna.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There was also Nabooru but that was more than a little messed up lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if only i would've known what a handsome man you would become

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Colorado has 4 targets :sweatdrop:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the funny thing is the people who bought the fo76 special edition would have bought it even if they'd just listed the bags as lovely in the first place

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hitman moment:

Guard picks up my remote bomb right before target gets there

Im swearing up a storm readying my trusty briefcase

Guard patrols back into range

Boom

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Regy Rusty posted:

Colorado has 4 targets :sweatdrop:

I think Colorado is the worst map in that game by far. it is never fun at any point

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FirstAidKite posted:

I loving love backstreet boys

69 new posts and this was the first one

Nice

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

I think Colorado is the worst map in that game by far. it is never fun at any point

So far I'm just exploring and that's fun but I'll see how I feel once I start having to actually plan people's deaths

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there are elements of it I like a lot, mostly just a couple of specific opportunities, but its the biggest victim of the modern hitman design mentality of having big loving maps with a ton of stuff on it that are barely connected to each other. plus the mandatory part at the end of every run is just absolutely bad and pointless. its a way better map in escalations where none of that comes into play

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

While I agree it's the weakest map in both games I still think it's solid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Right now I'm floundering trying to understand my roll in this limo attack drill

They're yelling at me but I don't know what to do :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Happy December everyone
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875880