Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dragonatrix posted:

There's a lot of really cool creepiness to what Farina does that would be lost if she was a main character, honestly.

Oh, absolutely. I was just making a joke about how her behavior is so similar to that of your average videogame protagonist. Stare blankly at people when they talk to you. Someone evil showed up? Just explode them. Hey I bet there's secret treasure in this flowerpot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dang, even when durum is going for heroic self-sacrifice he continues to be a bad dad in the process.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
After all that effort trying to get to the sun everybody else just drifts on in right behind us? Eesh.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Glazius posted:

After all that effort trying to get to the sun everybody else just drifts on in right behind us? Eesh.

i figured the implication was once you get the millennium gummis together, the dwarves can apply the super coating technique to as many ships as they want

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

We have to go back! We gotta check up on Durum and Farina!

We have to keep moving, or else everything we've all done will have been in vain.
How can you be so coldhearted?!

Semolina...?
??
What? I said let's keep going.
Wait! I'm going with you!

Alright, welcome to Shadra! It's... basically a linear dungeon unto itself. Most of the worlds kind of have that feeling at times, but Nova and Shadra are the most blatant. Shadra especially.

Before we explore Shadra proper, we'll doubleback though. Gotta talk to Ipo here since he sells something that we can get on Neumann... very rarely..

He sells versatails! They heal any ailment that can be healed, except unconsciousness. They're even remarkably cheap all things considered.

Numb and Coma haven't come up before, and they won't in the future either. They're only inflicted by some regular Space Police mooks. Numb does... nothing. Like, literally nothing. It does, however, stack with itself and if it gets inflicted on someone 3 times, it upgrades to Coma. Coma is just Scorch/Petrify/Unconscious, but uncurable. Yeesh.

Ah well, Shadra's pretty much what we've come to expect by now but with a quirky twist. There's enigma running around the overworld and touching one gives us a fight.

They're all against 2 Piskipooka (stronger Pooka) and a Dab Hasnel. They're just like they were when we fought them way back when, except we're much stronger now so they're kinda super easy.

They do at least give very good EXP. There's not much point to grinding really, but if you feel the need to, these fights are good for it.

There's other enemies and all, but by this point they're all pretty standard. Along the way, Sugar hits level 52 and picks up her final spell. We've now got the lot, so we'll see what fifth level spells do pretty soon. They're almost all kinda cool, so it'd be a shame to just ignore them.

First though, let's just get through the explore-y bits that we can. As mentioned before, this is mostly a linear path with small alcoves of treasure.

Like this wig for Pico. It's pretty good with +5 Power and +6 IQ, but... it's way too late to be worth it, honestly. Also it has no added effect and Auto-Fever is too consistently useful to be replaced by a very minor stat improvement.

Space Police!? They found us!?
Caution! Those are elite Space Police troopers.
Oh, man... Ohhhhh, man! This isn't good. How did the Space Police get here?
This looks like trouble.

Biek Fowler DID say they stole the etherealisation machine. Guess he wasn't kidding.

Ah well, we'll worry about that later. We're meant to follow the police to the right here, but if we take the bridge to the north first...

We can find another putty pea. There's like five of these on Shadra in total, by the way.

So look forward to seeing more of those later. First, we have some new shoes for Chai that have a really neat added effect!

They're pretty decent in general, between the +1% MP Regen, +3 Spirit, +9 Agiility and +20 MP. But that "scream" is their real effect and it's great. See, when wearing these everytime Chai gets knocked into critical HP there is a 50% chance he will just immediately cast Briar Patch. For free.

Definitely using these!

Around the corner from here, we run into six enigmas.

They all look like Pooka, so we can totally just take these things right now. Sugar can one-shot them all from the backrow even!

What's going on? I'm so confused!
(Arpeggio) No time to explain. Come this way!

They choose to... lead us in the direction we were going, and the only way we can go anyway. Uh, sure, okay.

Uh-oh. There are Space Police here, too. It's only a matter of time before we're found.
(Boogaloo) So, we fight the final battle here, then...
Don't wory. We can do it.
Um, weren't you guys...

You escaped?
(Boogaloo) Master Kale was about to feed us to that cosmic worm.
(Arpeggio) You guys watch out for the enigmas and the Space Police.

Chocomilk Cave has a lot of NPCs to talk to.

There's like three screens of 'em, even if a fair few of them can't even be accessed. No-one here is dead at least/

Well, maybe some of them are...

Carbon here has a unique sprite and potrait, so he's clearly important.

We're busy on several fronts, so I'll make this short.
Master Kale brought us all here, but we're wizards just like you.
We were trapped in the gummy cave, but your Miss Madeleine sacrificed herself to free us.
Now we're trying to fight back, but it doesn't look good.
Kale's got several hundred enigmas, pirates, and Space Police all at his disposal.

Wait, but that's the exact opposite of what I thought his plan was! It sure seemed before like he wanted the solar system to not explode!

In legend, the end of our age comes when Shadra emerges to eat the sun and give birth to another.
Right now, Shadra is in the gummy cave eating.

So...? Have you got it so far?
Yes.
Please... Go save Miss Madeleine!
No.

Yes.
Thank you... Miss Madeleine needs you.
Leave from the eastern exit of this cave and go far to the north. You will find the gummy cave Chromagar.
What's this gummy cave you've been talking about, anyway?
Ah, yes. The cave is filled with naturally formed

And Shadra finds great nourishment in gummies that hold wizards at their core.
Wh... What...?
So, you're not going?
I'm too old. I would just slow you down.

Alright, well, I guess it turns out that Kale is actually quite interested in just... ending the solar system. Not entirely sure on the "why," but it might very well have something to do with what we saw him tell King Suspiro.

Urgh...

Come at me then!
You kids go on! Find your Miss Madeleine!!
How disappointing. Little bugs acting like big bugs. Pathetic...
These ninnies are yours to play with. I'll have my fun with the others... Hehehe...

We can't look back! It has to be this way!
Yeah! What about Miss Madeleine?!
But we can't just leave them!
Come on! We have to work together!
We don't have any time to waste!

Ahhhh... This is it... I don't want this to be the end...

Sugar! I'm here to help!
Aieee!!
General Knucklestorm!?
The Space Police are under my control. Master Kale's Space Police forces have already surrendered.
You leave this to me and go do what you must!
Thank you, General Knucklestorm! We'll let you handle things here!

Thankfully, GENERAL KNUCKLESTORM is a fantastic dude, who's taken over the Space Police.

Unfortunately, it was all off-screen. It was at least setup during the Wind Millennium Gummy events on Puffoon, but still.

Immediately afterwards, we run into... another six enigmas. We can totally just deal with these ourselves though!

Brie!
She's OK!?

Rather notably, Detective Beignet is not included in this. Only mentioning this because it's not made explicit what happened to him, but Biek Fowler absolutely, definitely killed him on Razen.

Good...
I'll take command of the troopers here. You keep moving. We've got your backs.
Go on! And good luck!

We'll leave Brie and her father to deal with everything behind us. We'll carry further on towards Master Kale, and see that all the enigmas on the overworld have all been replaced.

...By a very powerful end-game boss enigma from Magical Vacation. Equillekrew is a general category here, but it was a specific Enigma in Vacation.

He was basically Starscream there, opting to assassinate the Enigma's leader, Kalrend, to take over. It worked, for a time, but since Kalrend didn't die on the Plain of Death he came back.

Yeah, not a particularly great plan all things considered. You'd think an Enigma would know that and yet...

Anyway, here they're pretty simple. They have 8000HP, but that just means that Sugar can oneshot them during the day. Since they always come alone, they don't give super-great EXP but there's a lot of 'em around.

There's even a putty pea just... right here. Even better is that if we carry on to the left, we can find...

Another putty pea. Although this one is in the only Mysterious Chest in Shadra, and what is (as far as I know!) the final one of these chests for good measure.

North of here, we can a thoroughly decent piece of armor.

We'll end up giving this to Sugar, since it's just a straight upgrade on the Ancient Robe she already has. It's +8 to both Defense and Spirit, which is pretty okay. No added effects, though, so it's not amazing or anything.

And just past there, we can find the final Pizza spot. There's a HP Pot here as well, so I'm sure this is totally fine.

...Oh.

See! Didn't I tell you!?
You!!

Remember when Chard just randomly spoke that Fawful that one time? Yeah, weirder still is that it just... never happened again.

And I, the most trusted of Master Chard's servants (and therefore second most trusted of Master Kale's)...
the unspeakably evil Caldarroste!
At last, on this planet, I can unleash my true power.
Bwah ha ha! Look at that old bucket o' bolts! You still draggin' him around?
He looks like he's gonna rust to pieces right in front of my eyes!
Now, now, let's not give them cause to worry. I will have reduced them all to dust long before then!

Master Chard (Round 3)

I can't be the only one disappointed that our rerefight here didn't take place during the Water Millennium Gummy stuff. Our first two fights were both on Cassia!

Anyway, Master Chard here is a gigantic jobber. Like, dude crumples superfast if we just bother to hit him. He'll cast Celestial Swap to try and blast us with the big ol' space laser which is... something.

Nova Sword is very expensive at 90MP, but what does it do?

...Well then! She just summons a sword of light to inflict a lot of pain. I'm super okay with this.

In fact, all the fifth tier spells are summons.

For 80MP, Mokka can cast Bellowing Rock and summon... an Olmec statue. Weird choice but it's still pretty cool.

The one notable exception to this "summon" rule is that Pico can cast Dragon's Tongue for 90MP. And he
transforms into a dragon!

At 70MP, Zap-O'-War is pretty cheap and it lets Sorbet summon a gigantic jellyfish. It seems a bit underwhelming, but it's most likely meant to be (loosely) based on the Man-o'-War so it's not all bad.

On the other hand, Pteranodon costs Lassi 90MP. And it summons a Pteranodon.

Hard to go wrong with summoning a dinosaur.

Chai's is the only one that notably changes its animation based on row. at 60MP, Cactus Crush is the cheapest fifth tier spell and it summons... 6 cacti. 3 if he's in the front row!

Yeah, it's an anticlimactic end, but aren't we forgetting someone here?

Why, yes, it turns out that Spice gets the best summon...

Since he just summons the Grim Reaper! The he ultimately has a heart of fire is a pretty good argument for being a Dark aligned main character.

Note however that Zero Joker here is the most expensive spell at a hefty 100MP.

Master Chard is, well, Master Chard. But for the third time! This time he can cast Dazzling Darts like Biek Fowler did, but for more damage. I guess that's something? Didn't drop anything for us this time though.

His true power is the ability to get one real turn before crumpling. He only has 20,000HP and is just an embarrassment.

End

But it's too late... It's too late for you to do anything to stop us.
You talk tough for a guy who looks like a circus exploded on his face!
Heh heh.. You worthless little children... You call yourselves wizards, but you know nothing! Don't you see?
You think you have chosen this path? You

What are you even talking about!? You know you're done, so now, what, you're trying to freak us out?
Remove your blinders. Do you think mere children could have come all this way?
Could have defeated someone of my caliber? No, this has all been planned.
There are wheels in motion here, children, and wheels within wheels.
Nothing has happened that Master Kale has not allowed to happen.
??

Heh heh heh... All according to Master Kale's plan, once again.
Only now do I see the brilliance of it all. Master Kale will prevail!

Took long enough, but Master Chard finally had the decency to die. He went and imitated Biek Fowler by exploding, though, albeit with a normal bomb this time.

Bwa ha ha!

Of all the people to turn up here, I was not expecting GENERAL KNUCKLESTORM. Kinda glad it is, though, since it's a good gag having him alternate between trying to be compassionate and also being a military leader...

We're fine, but we have to hurry if we're going to save Miss Madeleine!
Understood! And... I'm glad you're all right.
We have intel situating Miss Madeleine within the confines of this very cave!
But this is a GUMMY cave. The very air carries dangerous gummy particles.
If you aren't careful, you'll succumb to the gumminess... Even our armor won't protect us.
Leave it to us. We'll figure it out.
Please accept my apologies, maggots! ...I mean, "children."
Please take care of the wizards out there.
I will do my best to contend with the enigma threat outside!
Good luck.

I believe they will be ideally suited to gummy-infused environs!
Once they've arrived, rely on them to mount your attack. Until then, stay safe!

So the only thing seemingly between us and Miss Madeleine now is this one gummy cave. Chromagar, huh...

Well, let's get to it then. Maybe we can be done with this and back to school just in time to avoid being suspended for having so many unauthorised absences!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It's a wonder Brie isn't even more messed up than she is with that dude as father.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Leraika posted:

It's a wonder Brie isn't even more messed up than she is with that dude as father.

What are you talking about, maggot? ...I mean, good sir/madam.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
G E N E R A L K N U C K L E S T O R M is the best most raddest dude

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Personally, I'm not buying Detective Beignet's dead unless they show him as a ghost or whatever. :colbert:

Also General Knucklestorm rules, even though I'm kinda feeling that I've lost the plot by now. :v:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

We're in the last push to a) rescue Miss Madeline and b) do something about the worm that'll eat the sun and destroy the solar system. Everyone who we haven't gotten killed is showing up to help and/or get in our way.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Leraika posted:

We're in the last push to a) rescue Miss Madeline and b) do something about the worm that'll eat the sun and destroy the solar system. Everyone who we haven't gotten killed is showing up to help and/or get in our way.

I appreciate that Master Kale's plan as laid out to us is quite literally "chewing the scenery" :v:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Leraika posted:

Oh ok thanks! :) Yeah, I think I just forgot cause of all the gummy subplots that have been happening earlier and also all the deaths in said subplots. :v:

This game is really interesting!

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
I like to think G E N E R A L
K N U C K L E S T O R M just waltzed into HQ, suplexed the first guy who dared to say "Hey, you can't come in here--" so hard he got planted into the ground, punched the second guy who tried to apprehend him into a wall and imprinted him into it, before finally just giving a baleful glare at everybody else, and the entire HQ promptly joining him; whether out of fear or loyalty, iunno.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Welcome back, my students. Today we'll be dealing with Chromagar Caves to see if we can finally complete our sole motivator and rescue Miss Madeleine!

Pirates... It's always the same with those stinkin' pirates!

Oh right, Caldarroste is here too. Seems like he's pretty much done with this, though.

Welp, let's dive into the cave. How bad could it be?

Master Kale brought those stupid otter pirates here too?
Are they all supposed to be food... for the worm Shadra!?

So, Chromagar Cave is a proper dungeon. It gets a bit faux maze-like in a few places, but not here. The obvious alcove dead-end right ahead here has... nothing in it. There's some stuff off to the sides here, though.

Oh right and its name is a mixture of "chrome" and "agar." Not entirely sure what makes it chromatic, but agar is a sort-of jelly that's used as an ingredient in desserts, along with being usable as a laxative, a vegetarian gelatin and even has uses in microbiology.

Or, well, that's what I thought at least! Forums poster Raitzeno, on the other hand, has a more sensible suggestion:

Raitzeno posted:

Chromagar is most likely a portmanteau of chroma and agar, not chrome. It's latin for 'color', so it's literally called the "colorful jelly ruins". Makes sense with all the different colored gummies all over the design!

We'll collect the stuff from the left-side first. Melon Jelly is peculiar, since it's a Spirit Up item but it has a bigger boost than Melon Jam. There's an equivalent for every stat up item, even, but aside from this one they're only obtainable via Amigo Mode stuff.

The other chest has some armor for Mokka.

Since it gives +10 Defense; +5 Spirit and +500HP it's not too bad. If you miss the Rock Robe it's pretty nice, but we didn't so I'll just stick with that.

The right-hand alcove has a couple chests itself. The cobalt studs are more worthwhile than 5000 bira at this point.

The Cobalt Studs give +2% MP Regen and +4 IQ. Not super great, but they're a wonderful update for Lassi. I just... sorta forgot to update her accessory for like ever, apparently.

The real dungeon part of Chromagar is... remember Yggsalad? Yeah, it's like that again. No signpost otters this time though.

We'll take the right ladder here.

There's a couple chests in this room, but this putty pea is the primary reason you come this way. That the other one is a bit hidden (by the scenery) sucks, but it contains some red worms.

The ladder on the bottom row here is progress from this area, so we'll take that one.

Brief aside, let's look at the most interesting enemy in the area. Reversios are Light or Dark elemental enemies, depending on what face is showing. Hitting them makes the flip, and they function exactly like reversi pieces do. It's a pretty cool idea, at least.

Oh and they drop Versatails, which is pretty cool. The only thing their facing affects is their elemental affinity, for whatever it's worth.

The other enemy of note here is the blue King Crab. It drops the Crab Husk for the Brawly Ball. I don't get one and I wouldn't really care much about it at this point. It upgrades the added effect to Spr Up and Def Up, so it's like Minty Freshness but with (non-elemental) damage and 4x the MP cost. And it being more annoying to use.

I'd just stick with Minty Freshness at this point personally.

Honestly, the worst thing about it is that it's not even the final husk! There's one more after this.

Anyway, where were we? Ah right. The bottom left ladder here lets you get a few red frogs but that's all. We'll take the northern ladder then.

This two-screen area lets us progress further in. The bottom-right ladder leads us back to the beginning. The two northern ladders lead to the same area, but we'll skip the closer one.

It's just more convenient if we do it this way, since it brings us closer to the northern hole in this corridor. The hole in the alcove on the far-left is where the other ladder would lead us.

Of the three ladders we'll be using, the top-most one lets us get the penultimate putty pea. There's only one more of these things and it's... well, it's incredibly annoying to get.

The other chest here has 8000 bira. Meh.

Heading back up, we'll skip the middle hole for the third one which lets us get...

A pair of shoes. Moccasins are an unusual pair to pick for Sorbet's ultimate footwear but whatever works I guess.

The ability to make moccasins is, uh, ancient lost technology. Apparently. They give Sorbet +1% MP Regen, +4 IQ and +9 Agility, so they're just straight up better than the Sandals. They don't have an added effect, but I'd still rather use these since Danger Sorbet isn't a fantastic build.

The alcove down at the bottom has a chest containing... yellow worms. Meanwhile, we'll just ignore that and go down the middle ladder since it leads deeper inwards.

Is this what the worm left after eating!?
Is it really this big?
Sniff... Miss Madeleine... You didn't get... eaten, did you?
Shut up! You don't gotta talk like that! Come on! If the worm's in here, Miss Madeleine is, too.

If she's not, then we're way, way too late. Since there's some gummified folk at the entrance, she should still be mostly okay. Right...?

For the rest of this stretch of the cave, there's these areas where something sure seems to be have been burrowing. That hole from before is the biggest by far, though.

Pew!
Look! The worm! There it is!

Distance 50 meters!!!
Bearing 24!!
Pulse 24!!
Miss Madeleine is here!

What!?
Oh! That shining gummy!
Let's hurry!
We are hurrying...

If we don't deal with it now, it'll be completely out of control soon!

Right, so, the worm that Carbon called Shadra is just sitting here. We've gotta run up to it from here, but once we do...

Giant Larva

So, the Giant Larva here has an interesting gimmick. In theory, anyway. In practice, it just makes it kind of annoying at times.

See, sometimes when casting spells in this fight, the camera won't zoom in. That's already a bit of a clue that the GIant Larva is going to get to interrupt it...

With a unique non-elemental spell.

It actively just drains the spell and spikes grow out of its back. When it does this, your still lose the MP for the spell and all, so you might want to use cheaper spells just to mitigate that.

Or just not care, since it doesn't do it all the time or anything.

The Weapon Vortex is a setup for something else, but until that's done it just sorta uses physical attacks. Crush is just a generic multi-target one.

Anyway, after draining 3 spells it pulls out a powerful non-elemental spell. Megaburn Cannon really hurts...

Quite a fair bit, even. Mercifully it's single target, but it's pretty much guaranteed to drop whoever it hits. It gives the Giant Larva many drawbacks for some reason. Namely it makes the Giant Larva skip over its next few turns. And all the while it has Spr Down and Def Down for good measure.

Makes it very easy to finish off at this point. You could theoretically beat the Larva before it can drain 3 spells, even. It's pretty RNG but it's possible.

You may have noticed that the Giant Larva is Light elemental. As far as we care, the Giant Larva is the final boss that has a fixed Starsign. It has 25,000HP, and it doesn't give any items or money. There's a reason for that...

End

We get a repeat of one of the flashbacks to Kale here, but I'll just skip that. It's the one that Sorbet was in on Razen, if you're curious.

Whaaat!?
It's your imagination! The air just feels weird here, and it's making your hands clammy, right!?

Meanwhile...

We can charge 'em up at the Kahve Ruins!

So, now that we've defeated the Giant Larva we can enter the final areas of Chromagar Cave. However! Defeating the Giant Larva is the point of no return, so we cannot turn back and leave Chromagar now. We've come this far, we need to see it through to the end...

Beyond the larva is a long, linear corridor. There ARE still fights here for if you don't feel prepared for what lies ahead, at least.

Along with the final HP Pot, MP Pot and Crash the Broker to get any supplies.

He has less stock than Ipo did, but he sells everything important at least. Frogs, worms, versatail to cover statuses and Wakey tails for if things get really bad.

The Green Frogs are almost certainly just so we can always use the MP Pot. That's really good design.

Just beyond there, we can find Master Kale. This is only the second time we've been in the same place as him, oddly enough.

You!?
Kale!!

Let Miss Madeleine go!
Of course. She is yours for the taking. Assuming, of course, you can defeat me!

Y'know, I was not expecting Kale to manipulate a bunch of gummies to make a giant golem. That's pretty cool!

Master Kale; Gummy Giant

Master Kale is, of course, named after the vegetable. This was even used as a joke on Puffoon way back when, as you might recall. Nicely enough, Kale's Japanese name is Jin Reo. You know the pattern by now, so you probably saw that and immediately realised that it's "orange" with the syllables backwards.

More important is that through the world of Magical Starsign, there are five things that have Starsigns varied based on your main character. Both Kale and the Gummy Giant are on that list. The Gummy Giant is always the same (here it's Light), whereas Kale is always the opposite (so he's Dark).

At the very, very start of the fight Kale - not the Gummy Giant - casts a spell to manifest a sword.

It's associate with the Gummy Giant, presumably, because its embedded into the Giant's back as a power source. We can't actually target the sword or anything, which'd be a cool idea.

That's because it's on the top-screen, so it's all visual.

Of the two here, the Gummy Giant is by far the more dangerous and should be dropped ASAP. It mostly just uses a very potent physical attack to lay into everyone.

This isn't its only attack, but it
is basically the only one it should get to. Also if its left alone it uses this every single turn without variation.

Kale, meanwhile, is a very potent spellcaster. He pulls spells out from every element, varying between ST and MT as more appropriate.

He even has a unique non-elemental spell that's a sort of not entirely uncommon idea in Japanese media, apparently?

This is the third thing I've seen it come up in, at least. The other two being Hunter x Hunter and Metal Gear Solid 3.

Insect Bullets is 14 hits randomly distributed throughout the party. Each hit has a chance to inflict Spr Down, which helps make Kale more dangerous. He sure needs it, really...

Both Gummy Giant and Kale are sorta like half a boss, really. Gummy Giant has 14,000HP whereas Kale has 18,000. It's impossible to hit the Gummy Giant's weakness outside of bombs, by design, whereas Kale's always mutually weak to the main character.

It's an interesting idea, but it never really works out super well.

End

Chrysalis?
Your display of magic must have brought this on...
What are you talkin' about!?
Look... See what Shadra is becoming...

She is absorbing it all... Even me... We will be transformed into gummies.
She will absorb us and feed on our energies... It is too late now...
No matter what... magic you use... she... will absorb it...
And even the wizards who escaped... and who are now coming... to... look... for you... They will be...

And as his nihilistic goal can be achieved now either way, Kale finally dies. And surprisingly enough, he's even the first person the kids explicitly killed!

No! I can feel it! Look at my hands!
We have to hurry! We have to rescue Miss Madeleine and get out of here, now!

Once again, we get a minor interlude to seeing somewhere else.

In this case, it's a glimpse of what's happening all the way on Erd.

Who knows? It's outta control! It's not responding to anything!

The nice thing about this final stretch is that even though it's effectively a boss rush, we can double back and heal even now. If we walk just straight to the end of the line here...

Miss Madeleine! Can you hear me? Say something!
Mokka! Do you still hear that heartbeat you detected? Can you sense Miss Madeleine's heart?
...It is so faint, only 9 or 10 beats per minute... Her blood pressure... is very low...
Dig! Everyone start digging!

Sorbet! Sorbet, you dig too!! Don't give up!!
I... I'm not going back to Kovomaka.
What!?
If what Master Kale said is right, then none of this matters now.
Even if we save Miss Madeleine, the world--the whole galaxy--ends! So who cares!?
Stop it, Sorbet! You can't give up now!

Sorbet! What good is quitting going to do us, huh? We have a future as long as we don't give up on it!
Miss Madeleine needs us! We have to save her, and your attitude's not helping!
Right, so, what, we save Miss Madeleine,

Master Kale and Craaken talked about the rebirth of the sun... The whole Baklava system is a terrible place now...
Maybe it really does just need to be wiped out and started over from scratch!

Sorbet's nihilistic bent here is something that's not really all that surprising, really. It's an understandable denouement to her depression character thread.

Sorbet... Just take a deep breath... You're totally losing it...
Yeah, really... You spent too much time around Kale. I think he got to you...

What's the matter?

...Malfunction?

You don't even know where the gummy stops and Miss Madeleine begins!
Shut up! Stop talking, Sorbet!!
What can we change? We're just students... kids...
We don't have the kind of power it takes to change things.
Shut up! Just shut up!

Mokka...?
Get down!

Uh-oh! Seems like Rogan Josh's estimate for the robotic uprising might have been a bit overtly generous!

...Well, that, or the magical gummy cave has really sped up the process.

Stop!! Mokka!! Get a hold of yourself!!
Mokka! You have to resist it!

Must obtain organic fuel compounds for battery core...

What!?
I can feel it. It's absorbing so much energy. I cannot foresee where this will lead!

...Well, uh, this is new! This is VERY new!

Someone please stop me!!
I don't want this!
It's horrible!
I don't want to live...
Not if it has to be this way...
Someone stop me!

Mokka?

There's a brief flashback here again, this time to when the party was waiting by that machine in the middle of Sparklin's basement when Caldarroste did stuff to Mokka's wires.

Mokka, what's happening? Say something!
Come on, Mokka! Shake it off!

Wh-who said that!?
Miss Madeleine!?
Miss Madeleine!?

Feed it, and then kill it?
Before the... sun's light... disappears forever... do it... quickly...
But--
You must create... a new... light...

So, Miss Madeleine is the third to have a Starsign that changes based on the main character's. Much like Kale, she always has the opposite one so that we can have all seven in this scene.

Wait, what, you want us to create... a new light? He, sure... Sounds fun!

Pico, Chai, Lassi and Sugar all (start to) use their Wild Magic. Mokka's kinda in a heap on the ground right now, so he can't...

We must create light?

Fortunately, that's all it takes for Sorbet to join in as well at least...

Mokka... Don't be gone... Please don't be gone, Mokka!
I will be fine...
My heart has not died...

Thanks to what is clearly meant to be assistance from Semolina's spirit, Mokka still has enough function to help as well!

Mokka!

Shadra

Thanks to the sheer amount of magical energy unleashed, Shadra's cocoon rapidly drains it all...

...And as it hatches, Shadra's evolved state emerges.

The Giant Larva has become a Great Moth. Time to squash this bug!

Shadra

As our final boss, Shadra is a good test of the game mechanics we've become accustomed to. It also decides to add an extra complication thanks to Mokka having recently exploded.

Rather notably here, Shadra is... Wood elemental? Something about that seems weird.

Ah well, first off, Mokka always has his Unconscious sprite throughout this battle. He also starts with 1HP. That's not a big deal in itself, but...

Mokka has a couple complications thanks to it. Namely that he can't use physical attacks, move or use items. The item one is the most inconvenient, by far.

Much like Master Kale, Shadra can use spells of every element. Just one of each, though, and they are mostly multi-target.

When Shadra takes a decent chunk of damage, like say by having Pico become a dragon for a hot second, it sort of explodes. Nothing comes of that immediately, though.

More conspicuously is that after a couple turns, Shadra changes its colouration... and starsign. It's gone from Wood to Water. Just changes entirely at random and can be of any of the seven starsigns.

Oh and she does have a MT physical that has an added effect we've only seen once before...

Yep, it does MP damage. Hasn't come up as a thing since Gil Mudflap! You'd think it would be more common, but it surprisingly isn't.

After it loses about 30,000HP Shadra explodes and drops to the floor. Before evolving yet again...

...into this weird ant-like form. In its second stage, Shadra will maintain a static Starsign. As you might guess, it's the opposite of the main character so our Shadra is Dark.

It makes the most sense to have the thing named "shadow" be Dark elemental.

Shadra replaces its list of many spells with... three. It keeps Celestial Swap in both stages. It's rude enough to pick up the tier four Light spell here, so it can give itself Barrier for both physical and magical immunity. Rude!

But it also has a pair of unique spells, one for each of its possible signs. Its Light elemental spell sure does not sound like an attack...

Least of all one that involves it creating and firing six space lasers at random targets! It can even debuff, for good measure!

Its damage doesn't seem impressive here, but this is running into guarding and a Shield so the two kinda neutered it.

Alteratively it can use Big Crunch, which is incredibly appropriate for something that eats the sun!

This is boosted by Shadra having Aura here, but it's still more representative of what it can theoretically do.

Mostly, however, it just uses a single-target physical attack which has a fantastically dumb name.

As its only single-target attack, it's pretty decent at ~800 damage and all. It has nothing else special to it, though.

In its second form, Shadra has 18,000HP. At a total of 48,000HP and some decently strong moves and a really cool gimmick, Shadra is a cool fight concept. It's also totally unique and nothing else even comes close to pretending to be similar.

Probably for the best, since it helps make it memorable.

End

And as soon as the fight ends, Shadra explodes again. This time, it's an explosion of pure light...

It even explodes so far outward, that it's visible rom space.

Also, apparently Shadra is visible in space. The physical location of it here is peculiar, but just roll with it.

Hm. What indeed...

No. There's something about that light... Something... familiar.
Mm, yes. I see what you mean. I know this light.
You... "know" it?
You remember those six wizards who came here, don't you?
The ones you gave the water millennium gummy to?
Yes, the very same. This is their light.

Macadameus is an odd choice for this, when Brioche and Twigadamus are both still right there. It's still fine, but it feels wrong to me for some reason.

Bleepity blop bleep. High-intensity light energy detected.

I don't know... I've never seen anything like it.
I believe it would be wise to pray now.

The sun... It has been reborn.

Madeleine, you're back!
Yes, Principal Biscotti. I've come to say good-bye.
Good-bye? What do you mean?

(Sanbal) Looks to me like the sun's getting brighter, like someone's shoveled more coal into 'er furnace 'r somethin'.
(Meuniere) You think she's gonna blow?
No. It is a gentle light. This energy is not a force for destruction.

Be careful! Their systems are still operational!
Battery level zero? They're operating on reserve power!?
Reserve power?
It's a solar power unit used for energy shortages.
So this light... can power them?

What happened?
Mnahh... Ugghhh...
Sorbet!
...Pico?
Sorbet! You're all right!
Yeah, I'm fine, but what about the others? What about Miss Madeleine?
Miss Madeleine!

Ooooh... Sugar? We...
Miss Madeleine!? What happened to her?

Beeeep. Don't worry about me. Help Miss Madeleine.

Oh, right! We should probably go do that!

...Oh. Uh, well then...

Ch-Chai's still okay, at least?

Sob......
Ah... Sugar? Sugar, is that you?
She's OK? Miss Madeleine is OK!?

Well, she didn't seem to be before but...

Miss Madeleine!
You all did so well.
Miss Madeleine?
I'm sorry that I wasn't able to see everything you accomplished to get here.
However, I know that you have all truly outdone yourselves, my students.
Miss Madeleine!
Miss Madeleine!
I know you will face many trials in the future as well.
But rom what I have seen, I am confident that you can overcome any hardship.

Wait, Miss Madeleine! Let's go back to the academy!
I still have to do summer school, Miss Madeleine! Don't leave us now!
Farewell.

Miss Madeleine!!
Miss Madeleine!

But I am sure you can learn all you need to know on your own now.
You have met many people on your travels. Let them be your teachers now.
Just promise not to forget what it means to be compassionate.
I go now on a journey of my own. But you have nothing to fear...
I am sure that we will meet again, on another planet, in another life.
Farewell.

Yes, sir!

And just like that, the credits roll... our journey ended, the solar system saved, but we weren't able to do the one thing we originally wanted to. It's ultimately a bittersweet ending, as a result.

But it's not all bad. After all, even though this adventure is over...

There's always more where those came from. And since their epilogues might be a bit hard to read...

quote:

Pico returned to Kovomaka to continue his education. After being held back for eight years in a row, he left Will-o'-Wisp Academy. He traveled through the galaxy, meeting strange people and defeating even stranger monsters, and he ultimately earned a reputation as a great hero.

quote:

After her adventures, Sorbet was awarded a full scholarship and completed her education. She joined the Space Police on Puffoon, where she joined Brie Pourri and General Knucklestorm to restore honor to the force. The reputation of the Space Police was in good hands.

Makes sense that Sorbet's money-issue would get resolved like that, but it's a bit naff that it's just thrown in her epilogue. At least she helps make the cops be Not Evil, which is a monumental task but one that needs doing.

quote:

Lassi, at last confident in her abilities, taught herself rocket science and published many articles... which were riddled with errors and ridiculed throughout the scientific community. However, she never gave up. After ten years, she built her own rocket and left Baklava forever.

Lassi doesn't strike me as someone who would become an academic, so it makes sense that she'd be really bad at it. That she made a functional rocket is cool, though, especially with how she uses it to leave an entire galaxy!

Also, that rocket sure looks familiar...

quote:

Mokka tried to help Lassi build her rocket. Finally, he literally gave his all to her, offering his own body to finish her rocket. Lassi tearfully accepted his sacrifice. The Rocket Mokka was born, and the two friends left Baklava in search of new worlds.

quote:

Upon returning to Kovomaka, Chai studied hard to improve his magic skills. However, he grew bored with his studies, and when the Rocket Mokka launche, he stowed away inside a storage locker located near the fuel tank.

I would be super-down for a third game in the series that focused on Lassi, Mokka and Chai's intergalactic escapades. It'd be a good and cool way to increase the scope even further, and there'd be some right good shenanigans you could get up to like that. Pico's an accomplished heroic adventurer so bring him along and you have a well-balanced and awesome party of the three best characters, and also Chai is there.

...Realistically it'd be an all new cast with minor cameos at best, but still.

quote:

Sugar worked with the dwarves to transform the Kahve Ruins into a gigantic radio telescope. The device found a faint signal, and Sugar set off aboard a prototype rocket, designed to hold a single occupant, and flew off to investigate.

Even though it wasn't always the happiest, I hope you enjoyed our little space adventure! :unsmith:

See you next mission.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 10, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Thanks so much for LPing this!

That ending sure wasn't what I was expecting when I fished this game out of the bargain bin years and years ago. :allears:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Thanks for a look at a game that was charming in its own way. That was also a really abrupt ending!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It took me too long to realize that the final plot arc was, at its core, the same as the first arc on Erd.
* Giant Bug
* Destiny
* Waking up a star
* Antagonistic robots
* Miss Madeline isn't saved

But the beginning was a comedy, and the end is a drama.

As for the sudden attack of the robots, Rogan Josh's estimate didn't take into account a giant space fleet dropping by and using up their entire stockpile.

Personally I think Sugar joining the Dwarves and rebuilding the Khave Ruins was primarily to make sure they could never be used to make gummies out of people again.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 6, 2019

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Given what happens to wizards when they die in this setting, we can probably assume Sugar set off to find Madeline's star.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Does Spice get the same ending?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Charming game, but it kinda fell apart at the 11th hour. That ending is quite rushed.

But now it is finished! Hooray! :unsmith:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

That last dungeon and ending definitely felt kinda rushed (I can't help but feel Kale's demise felt a bit fast), but this was overall a pretty nice game! :) (also rip mokka?? :rip:)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

EponymousMrYar posted:

Charming game, but it kinda fell apart at the 11th hour. That ending is quite rushed.

It does feel like they ran out of time and that's why Nova/Shadra are so short.

I love everything about Mokka in this endgame by the way. Down but not out :swoon:

quote:

But now it is finished! Hooray! :unsmith:

Not just yet. Among other loose ends we haven't even seen what those Putty Peas DO, after all!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Cool game/LP; the tonal shift over the course of the game is really wild.

Did we ever find out why the book of the darned was considered cursed? I musta missed that.

edit: also i was yelling at the screen "haven't you folks ever heard of scholarships" in half of sorbet's scenes

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

hey girl you up posted:

Cool game/LP; the tonal shift over the course of the game is really wild.

Did we ever find out why the book of the darned was considered cursed? I musta missed that.

edit: also i was yelling at the screen "haven't you folks ever heard of scholarships" in half of sorbet's scenes
Apparently you need to Save The Galaxy to qualify for one, though. Standards must be tough.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Congrats on finishing the LP!

Also the moccasins should have been Earth elemental just for the pun.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

BisbyWorl posted:

Congrats on finishing the LP!

Also the moccasins should have been Earth elemental just for the pun.

They're still a pun - have you ever heard of water moccasins?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Chromagar is most likely a portmanteau of chroma and agar, not chrome. It's latin for 'color', so it's literally called the "colorful jelly ruins". Makes sense with all the different colored gummies all over the design!

E: Also, uh, that sure was an ending. :psyduck: That's the sort of crap I'd expect to be followed up by either "Please Insert Disc 2" or "To reach the true ending, make sure to finish all the sidequests." ...You know, like the brawly ball or whatever.

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 6, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In the end, all we really needed to fight Cthulhu was a boat full of dynamite magic.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Raitzeno posted:

Ah, yes. That makes far more sense! Gonna amend it with that, for sure.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

They're still a pun - have you ever heard of water moccasins?

But they could have called them

Mokkasins

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

hey girl you up posted:

Everyone who reads this book dies.

You know, eventually. From something or other.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

hey girl you up posted:

They pretty much come out and say the curse never existed in the first place.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Warning: this update is canon.

So once you beat Biek Fowler and enter Shadra, this ladder spawns in the conspicuous dead-end in the King's Path.

Eve though we need to get to Shadra to make this ladder appear, I would definitely not try it as soon as it appears, though, because this is functionally post-game content. If you can't beat Shadra, you won't really be able to get far past the entrance here. Yikes!

So, the ladder leads to an area that's visually similar to the Starway. In fact this super-secret optional dungeon is... really kinda boring to look at.

At least it lives up to its name. The Glissini Caves are not a food, but they are glistening alright. It's a 20-floor battle gauntlet of sorts. You CAN leave and come back whenever, and you can just warp out to Neumann for easy free healing too.

Each floor has a fixed fight blocking the way further in and they're all kinda tough. Some... significantly more than others, though.

Oh and just about every enemy in here is a palette swap of something. Some might not be (I'm not 100% sure!) but most are.

Ant Nobles are palette swaps of the Magician Ants from the Ant Hole way back on Erd, remember that? Yeah, these guys are hardcore and will ruin you. They don't cast spells, opting to do 400+ damage with their canes, and sometimes summon reinforcements (more Ant Nobles). And they're the weakest things in here! Yeah, it's single-target only but they don't come alone...

Clockwork Goats are palette swaps of the Mechanibex from Shishkeab Cave on Razen. Much like their weaker brothers, they vomit bombs at you but they do so for ~300 damage to everyone. And they can cast Wind magic too. Well, okay, Wind Talon. But they're on the backrow so they can only do multitarget damage here. Yikes!

Ant Nobles are level 61, Fire elemental and have 2000HP each. They're only on floor 1.

Clockwork Goats are also level 61, but they're Wind elemental and have 2500HP each. They're on floors 1 and 2.

The nice thing about the Glissini Caves is that because everything here is a very high level, it's a really nice place to grind if you handle the fights here. Also the money is pretty okay, and you can get good equipment too.

Misty Studs are dropped by the Ant Noble and are part of a set that has a really good set bonus. Unfortuntely, the whole set is random drops from things within this dungeon.

The other nice thing about the Glissini Caves is that it has random encounters too. Here's a secret: floor 2 is easier than floor 1.

Faded Stones here are, as far as I'm aware, a new enemy model for the Glissini Caves which is nice at least.

They just use Earth elemental magic, which consists of a renamed Stalagmiter and Vibrant Dance. Yes, they give themselves and each other Strong.

They're level 63, have 1500 HP, are Earth elemental and massively resist spells!

Also this fight is, on paper, really dangerous but it did lead me to learn what Bombs are used for.

They do multi-target physical damage of their respective element. So with the Garden Mitts, Chai can REALLY hurt magic resistant things with 'em. This makes Faded Stones a good thing to grind off here, whch we will absolutely need to do very soon...

For whatever it's worth, Clockwork Goats drop Bang Berries (useless!) and Faded Stones drop Stoneoff Tails.

I really don't know why this is on floor 3, since there's nothing like it further in. It's nice and all, but it's just so weird.

Anyway, floor 3's fixed battle is two more Faded Stones and two evil mops. Well, okay, Nightmops but still. They're incredibly, absurdly fast and are decently strong physical attackers but that's all they've got going for 'em.

Nightmops are level 65, Dark Elemental, have 2300HP and drop Decursy Tails.

Floor 4's fixed battle brings us four Nightmops and two Fallwiches. Fallwich is simple enough, being a recolor of the Leafwich from inside Yggsalad. They're decent mages and since they're often in the backrow do MT damage. Also they cast Minty Freshness to be annoying.

They're level 67, Wood elemental, have 3200HP and drop Dethorn Tails.

You may have noticed by now how the Glissini Caves generally works, right? Each floor uses the new enemy from the previous one and subs in a new one of its own. That's a good general rule, but it's not applied across the board...

Floor 5 has one of the two shops in Glissini Caves. Gains here sells decent equipment...

In fact, he sells two full sets of equipment. Just, uh, not that kind of set. He sells the first tier of Light and Dark exclusive equipment for Sugar and Spice, which is nice of him. They're decently expensive but I'd personally buy none of this. If you want to, then the Light Ring is the best since it gives Sugar an Aura boost:

• Crown: +5 IQ; +200 HP
  • Flash Bangle: +5 IQ; Blind chance +30%
  • Fame Coat: +3 Defense; +4 Spirit
  • Wing Slippers: +2 IQ; +5 Agiity; IQ Up and Agi Up when low on HP
  • Light Ring: +2% MP Regen; +2 IQ; +1 Spirit; grants Trance and Heal during the day.

Dark characters get some generally better equipment, some that's roughly the same and one that's just worse:

• Purple Turban: +3 Power; +4 IQ; Pow Up and IQ Up when low on HP
  • Pearl Ring: +3 Power; +5 IQ; Curse chance +30%
  • Bone Mail: +2 Power; +5 Defense; +3 Spirit; immunity to Curse and Blind
  • Vampy Boots: +3 Power; +3 IQ; +7 Agility; +50 MP
  • Tusk Studs: +2% MP Regen; grants IQ Up and Pow Up at night.

Anyway, before we look at the mandatory fight here, let's briefly peek at the regular fights.

And I do mean briefly. The new enemy here is the Zap Hound which is a very fast, decently stong Light elemental thing with a new model that uses powerful ST physicals and an annoying MT Light spell that does decent damage and Blinds you a lot.

Zap Hounds are level 68, have 2000HP and drop Sparkle Bombs.

I mention this, because floor 5 has a boss fight.

Securitron 3 is a recolor of the Securitrons from Erd, of course. It's also the second most dangerous thing in the entire cave. It'll absolutely end you if given half a chance:

It fights like the earlier Securitrons did, but it has much, much bigger numbers and is on its own a tougher ordeal than Shadra (the moth). The Zap Hounds are just mean in that light.

As a result, I deal with this the way any sensible person should. Have Lassi summon dinosaurs at it for 9,999 damage of course!

Securitron 3 is level 70, Earth elemental like its younger robot kin and has 40,000HP. It doesn't even drop anything! Rude!

Oh, yeah, I don't really see much point to videos of the four boss fights in here. They're also just recolors of stuff we've seen before, but with Much Bigger Numbers.

Anyway, back to the swift descent down. Floor 6 brings us 3 Zap Hound (augh) and 3 Sea Cucumbers. If you can get to this fight, you can beat it. Sea Cucumbers are pretty lax in comparison to what comes right before it.

They're level 70, Water elemental, have 2600HP and drop Defrost Tails.

Floor 7 gives us some more Sea Cucumbers and also a pair of Treehemoths. Treehemoths are purely physical attackers so they're pretty simple by this point. Strong enough to leave a mark, but weak enough to not really get much of a chance now.

They're level 72, Wood elemental, have 3000HP and drop the Misty Cap. Finally get the second piece of that set! Much better than the meat we got from the Burnt Trees on Gren!

Next up is a couple of Treehemoths and a pair of hermit dogs. Crabradors are very tanky palette swaps of the good ol' Hermit Lab from Cassia. They're not much for offense but they could take a while to beat.

Crabradors are level 75, Fire elemental, have 600HP and drop Nut Spread.

Floor nine straight up ends the pattern by not bringing the Crabrador back at all. Instead we just get a bunch of Oldfangels, who are palette swaps of Angelders from the Couscous Ruins.

Oldfangel is pretty tough, but nothing too unexpected for this far into the dungeon. He's level 77, Light elemental, has 3100HP and drops the Misty Cloak.

Floor ten's fixed encounter is a bit different again, so we'll see its enemies briefly here. They keep up the palette swappy trend and neither are super dangerous in themselves.

Short-Fusers are palette swaps of Swurlys from Razen, but are less annoying since they don't self-destruct when hit. They're level 78, Wind elemental, have 3000HP and drop Lemon Jam.

Peewee is a bit odd to see on this floor, honestly, but the Mojo's palette swap is still not really a threat. It's level 81, Earth elemental, has 6000HP and drops Ancient Mitts for Mokka (+3 Power; +8 IQ; +2 Defense; +2 Spirit; +30% Petrification chance). Not really worth going out of your for this late, really.

The tenth floor has another boss fight for us and the Elder Tree is a recolor of the Holy Sapling from Yggsalad. After the Securitron 3, there's not much threatening to this guy. He even drops the Holy Sapling's big ol gimmick. It doesn't auto-summon reinforcements if you hit it with Fire magic, which makes it even easier!

It's still plenty fast though and it can deal decent enough damage that we can't take it too lightly. So we'll just have Pico use Dragon's Tongue to spend 90MP to become a dragon for 9,999 damage!

Mokka's strong enough to help out a lot here too. This won't quite do 9,999 damage but it will do ~9,100 so it's still pretty great.

The Elder Tree is very simple for the half-way point of Glissini Caves, honestly. It's level 80, Wood elemental and has 50,000HP. Doesn't drop anything either.

Floor 11 is... well, it's kinda disappointing. Just four Peewees.

Floor 11 does have a very rare enemy on it, but they're a regular random encounter and I could not be bothered at this point. I just wanted to get this area done as quickly as I could. Remember the chest enemy in the Holy Water Pyramid? Yeah, it's a reskin of one of those, complete with the "if you do too much damage you lose everything" shtick. Hard pass.

Floor 12 brings us a pair of palette swaps from the Couscous Ruins. The Whimsy Bolt is a recolour of the Feather Vane and even functions the same way. Beyond that, they're level 82, remain Wind elemental, have 3400HP and drop Misty Boots!

Sand Carriers are recolours of Phantom Jars and are more interesting just by deault, really. They're level 84, Earth elemental, have 3000HP and drop gold nuggets (vendor trash item).

Floor thirteen drops the sentient weathervane unfortunately. Instead, we have the Sea Crawler which is pretty quick but not really a big threat.

They're level 86, Water elemental, have 4800 and drop the Frog Fins for Sorbet. This one's one I even managed to get without going out of my way for it.

They're pretty good, honestly, since they give +12 IQ much like the Planet Ring but add +2 Power (eh) and +2 Spirit. I wouldn't farm for them, but if you get it, bonus!

Sorbet not wearing any moccasins to show off her fashion skills betrays the fact that I recorded this before Chromagar. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

Floor fourteen gives you another guaranteed two shots at it and brings along Erilyn for good measure. Erilyn likes to use Celestial Swap to be as annoying as possible, though. She's level 87, Light elemental, has 2900HP and drops the Thinky Cloak which is a really solid piece of armor. +10 to both Defense and Spirit is nice, but there's no added effects so it has to compete with specialised stuff. Unfortunately for it, that means that even though in a vacuum it's great, the Thinky Cloak loses more often than not.

Floor 15 brings us Stocks the Broke(r)... haha, do you get it?

Much like Gains, he sells equipment only for Sugar and Spice. He sells the second/top tier of their equipment, though, and it's all Very Expensive for a reason:

• Angel Ring: +2% MP Regen; +8 IQ; Barrier when low on HP
  • Gleaming Fist: +1% MP Regen; +3 Power; +12 IQ
  • Rainbow Coat: +2% MP Regen; +8 Defense; +8 Spirit; immunity to Curse and Blind
  • Divine Shoes: +1% MP Regen; +4 IQ; +8 Agility
  • Photon Studs: +3% MP Regen; +5 IQ; +2 Spirit

Yeah, they're all pretty great pieces of gear. The whole set grants a lot of MP Regen and a ton of IQ. That Sugar can only get her immunity armor on the fifteenth floor of this dungeon sucks a lot though.

Spice can get his on the fifth floor, so instead he gets something weird and unique, huh...

• Devil's Horn: +15 IQ; -5 Defense; -5 Spirit
  • Doom Cuffs: +7 Power; +16 IQ; -15 Defense
  • Evil Ink: +7 Power; +7 Defense; +7 Spirit; Auto-Barrier; Auto-Thorny. Note that neither is listed as a condition in combat and the invisible Thorny is uncurable.
  • Dusk Shoes: +3 Power; +3 IQ; +7 Agility; Agi Down and Spr Down when low on HP
  • Black Nails: +1% MP Regen; +1 IQ; grants Trance at night.

So yeah, Spice would get some... interesting trade-offs here if you could get this far. The Evil Ink would be a fantastically interesting item earlier in the game and the Horn and Cuffs make him into a very powerful glass cannon. The Dusk Shoes are garbage though and the Black Nails are honestly a downgrade compared to the Tusk Studs.

Anyway, this is floor 15 and the boss fight here is, for my money, the hardest fight in the game!

So our boss fight here follows the steps of the Securitron by being a machine that brings backup. Unlike the Securitron, the Cybersaurus reskin...

...just called the Cybersaurus is always dangerous. I was so done with this place (it's long and tedious the best of times) that I ground to level 99 to make it quicker. You may have noticed that earlier, even.

At that level, with decent gear and a timed guard, he still does more than half your HP in one attack. Yikes!

Erilyn is mostly just here to be annoying with Celestial Swap and maybe healing. She dies easily enough though.

The Jellybeasts sure are here. They're physical attackers as well and are mostly just extra bodies.

Since the Cybersaurus is very powerful, we'll mostly have Chai attempting to mitigate it like normal with Minty Freshness and Parsley Wall. It's not much but every little helps.

It's invariably going to be somewhat lacking, so Lassi has Aura here so that a full MP Healing Wing can comfortably be an almost guaranteed party-wide full heal. It comes in handy espeically in the second half of the fight..

When the Cybersaurus just stops messing around and starts using Cry of the Soul and Desperate Lunge! Both are multi-target physicals that deal many numbers of damage, and Cry of the Soul even retains its Def Down effect.

In order to best deal with this, we're gonna use Sugar's final spell.

Well, that and have Sorbet summon a really, really big jellyfish.

So, uh, yeah, the Cybersaurus is super-ridiculously tough this time around. It's level 90, Fire elemental, has 60,000HP and is widely considered by pretty much everyone to be the most difficult fight in the game. I sure hope those folks are also including the post-game Figurine bosses.

And it's really cool! The robot-dinosaur made a sudden comeback and it's to be even more threatening!

That dealt with, we'll just descend deeper still into the depths of the Glissini Caves. Floor sixteen brings another pair of Jellybeasts and some new friends.

Jellybeasts are... well, you had to beat 'em to get here so whatever. They're level 89, Fire elemental, have 4100HP and drop Red Frogs.

The Gnocchalien they come with is more notable though. They're very, very powerful spellcasters and they're level 91 for good measure. They're Wood elemental, of course, have 3500HP and drop the Self Circlet helmet. It's a flat +10 IQ and does absolutely nothing else. It's not bad, but by this point it's not great either.

Floor 17 drops the ball some. It's back to recolours already, but in an impressive twist it includes a recolour of something from this very dungeon!

The Sand Crab is... well, you just saw it last time. They're a recolor of the King Crabs from Chromagar! They're pretty strong but nothing out of the ordinary for this far in. At level 93, they are the most powerful regular Earth enemy at least. They've got 4500HP and drop the Misty Ring letting you finally complete that set. Took long enough!

The Graver being an upgrade of the Faded Stone is a nasty surprise, but nothing we can't theoretically handle. Unfortunately for us, they're not as instantly takable as their younger friend. Gravers are level 96, are Dark elemental, have 3500HP and drop Fossil Charms. Those are Mokka only accessories and grant +3% MP regen, +4 Defense and +1 Spirit. The stats are nice but I'd stick with the Mole Tail, personally.

Oh right and now that we can compile the whole set:

The Misty Set is pretty alright, at least. The set bonus would be fantastic if you didn't have to be at the very end of what is basically postgame content to get it. It still has its uses at least.

• Misty Cap: +1 IQ
  • Misty Ring: +1 Power; +1 IQ
  • Misty Cloak: +1 Defense; +1 Spirit
  • Misty Boots: +1 Agility
  • Misty Studs: +1 IQ
  • Set Bonus: +10% MP Regen; +9 Power; +27 IQ; +9 Defense; +19 Spirit; +14 Agility; immunity to Blind, Curse, Dizzy, Petrification, Thorny, Scorch and Sick.

Floor 18 pulls the same trick, rudely enough. At least this time it's not radically different. It's just bigger numbers and a different element.

Balloonfish are level 94, Wind elemental, have 3800HP and drop... Undizzy Tail. Seems a bit late for that one, but okay I guess.

Dust Punishers are level 95, Wind elemental, have 3200HP and drop Lemon Jam. Since the Dust Punisher ends up being the last regular enemy in the bestiary for the Wind section, I guess it gets to be the strongest. Or at least it's close between the two.

Floor 19 brings Gravers back and adds another recolour of something from within this very dungeon. Zap Raccoons are somehow even more dangerous than Zap Hounds were.

Zap Raccoons are level 97, still Light elemental, have 3600HP and drop Red Worms.

After all that, though, we've finally made it to the twentieth and final floor. Whew, it's a right slog getting here, honestly.

So let's fight a random encounter right quick. We're mainly interested in the sheep-bell hybrid thing. This one I know is a recolor of stuff related to the multiplayer content. The Bellber there is noteworthy for being a level 98 Light elemental enemy. It has 3900HP and drops the Bellber Husk, which is the fourth and final Husk for the Brawly Ball. It makes the spell's added effect a full party IQ Up! ...Which would be fantastic if it wasn't at the absolute end of everything.

And they often come with Armagels here, just for good measure. They're level 98 Dark element, have 4400HP apiece and drop Space Rings which are a flat +13 IQ. Nice, but not at all worth the effort at this point.

Anyway, our boss fight here is a giant black moth. Umbra is a pretty appropriate name for the theoretically most powerful Dark elemental enemy. And, yeah, it's just a palette swap of Shadra.

Unfortunately for it, it's not always Dark elemental. See, Umbra is the last thing with an element that is the opposite of the main characters. If Spice were here fighting it, Umbra would be Light elemental instead.

Rather than just use Dark elemental stuff though, Umbra has one spell from every element. They're all multi-target versions, but they can still hurt quite a lot.

Oh and yes, Umbra does have Celestial Swap. A lot of the time I just don't mention it, but here it's noteworthy because Umbra willingly just gave Chai his Aura... because it's setting up something. You can see that Umbra is going for the big space laser attack (much like Chard did, but more threateningly), but we get plenty of chances to disrupt that, and since giving Lassi her Aura would do that handily...

I'll just absolutely do that. Meanwhile, Umbra also decides to casually pull out Scale to hit everyone with physical damage and also MP damage. Rude jerk.

Disappointingly, Umbra gives absolutely nothing. Regardless of our level, we'd get 0 EXP from Umbra, he gives us no money and doesn't even drop anything.

For a level 99 "ultimate" boss with 75,000 HP that's disappointing.

We do, however, get a reward for this and... it's the final putty pea. Yeah, that's our grand reward for this.

Let's see if we can't finally use these then. We're off back to Razen!

...I'm sure there's a hint for this somewhere. Most likely is that Gamelan in Gren will tell you about it if you bug her enough. I don't know for sure, though, since I never bothered. I just looked up what they were forever ago. :v:

Warping to the World Seam and going through the end of Shishkebab Caverns again lets us find Cardoon near the stone stage.

Yup! No doubt about it... I've finally found a place where we can live in peace!
Oh, how I've looked for you! At last, we have a home we can make into our own private putty paradise!
Oh, who are you? Are you a putty pal? Will you help out a putty in need?
Yes.

Every one you bring to me, I can grow into a putty like me!
Oh, yes! Look at that! I can see you fine folks have a putty pea on you!
Won't you let me have it? Oh, say you you will!
Yes.
Let's waste no time! Let the ceremony begin!

One quick fade to black later...

Putty people are born singers. From the moment we come into this world, we sing all sorts of ancient songs!
Once I have more putty brothers by my side, you must come listen to our song!

So, here's the worst thing about this. Cardoon only takes putty peas one at a time! Can't just hand him all 29 right off the bat.

He does have a bit of a quip for the first three...

...but only the first three. After that, he just takes the pea and repeats the line about being singers. At least until we hand over all 29.

And then he just thanks us. So, the other 29 Traveling Putties this spawns sort of give us our real reward. We'll just go through all of them in order.

And someone who was no one, he learned he was there.

The song sang the world, a song made of warmth.
A song that flickers and dances in warmth.

Where once was cold soil, there was now only warmth.

When they opened their mouths, the winds began to blow.

The wind sometimes lied, and the wind spoke the truth.
And treachery flew on the wind's wings, and the wind blew ever on.

The wind sang the earth out of wind.
The wind sang to shatter the skies.

One after another, more children came into the world of wind.
And before long the warmth of earth disappeared in the wind.

The wind kin named it the lifeless.
That's when all songs that still faintly remained vanished.

They sang themselves a new song upon the cold earth.
The song filled the dead earth with strength, and it became solid again.

The song sang an image, the image, a head.
And the wind kin faded as the cold earth's new life grew.

The earth gave everything to the kin of her soil.
What the earth people hoped for took form in a shape.

The wind, fire, and earth fought with each other, and they became water.

The water filled with blood and took the lives of the earth people.
The dead earth sunk beneath the water and a new life was born in it.

When the water people were born later on, witless lives filled the water.
The dead earth was singing the song of its end deep in the ocean.
The fire under the earth and the wind in the sky also sang this song.

Before long, the earth's flor rose from the bottom of the water.
Heat burst out of the earth and the winds began to dance in the sky.

Thus began the race of the tree people.
The tree people harbored the power of everything.
When the people gazed upon the sky, they beheld the majesty of stardust and a shining sun.

Then they sang a song praising their own great glory.

One of the forest people declared himself king.
Filled with great ambitions, his heart called out to the countless stars he saw in the sky.

The first king called himself Vermicelli, and he journeyed the skies, crisscrossing between the planets.
Eventually, Vermicelli reached the sun and met a great noble being.

Enveloped in bright kindness and love,
she was wrapped in the sweet song of the beginning.

Even when he sang, his voice sounded leaden and stale.
Yet the queen happily let the king sing.
They sang until Vermicelli could sing no more.

Time passed and eventually his singing fell silent. When Vermicelli sensed his own death, a song echoed in his heart.
It was the song for the dead, the song of the end.

But Vermicelli did not fear them.
He kept on singing.

The voice grew evil and rained heavily upon the planets and stars.
The song became terror and the people were paralyzed with fear.
The terror grew, eventually driving the people to a war between the five planets.

A sixth planet was born on the day they focused the lights of the five planets.
Then, the sixth song began to resonate.

The queen of light created life with the sixth planet.

This moment is when the star of hope is born.
The universe's long history has included conflict, joy, suffering, and sadness...
And only a hero who could bear the force of all of these in a moment can bring about a new beginning.

New voices will be heard singing there.
New power, new feelings, and new lives will be born.

Vermicelli will sing the song of the beginning.
Everything in this universe will unite as one. Light will be born within darkness and darkness will arise from light.

So, did you get all that? Yep, that was our reward for every single putty pea. Most games would give you a useless super-weapon or even-more-ultimate equipment for completing the most difficult combat challenges, just in time for it to serve no purpose.

Here? Nah, mate, here we know and admit that's useless. Have a massive loredump that we call a bunch of "songs" instead.

I'm honestly super okay with that.

Although, we do now have even more fights to do in rapid succession. And absolutely nothing else. Like Glissini, but kind of even more tedious? Ah well, that's my problem. Let's go visit an old Tengu we haven't seen in...

Wait, no, Macadameus appeared in the end montage. Point is, I've got one of every figurine from blatantly cheating "having friends." Might as well go put them to use, eh?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The Winged armor set from Shadra enemy drops makes Glissini a bit more tolerable, +10 POW, +15 IQ, +3 DEF, +3SPR, +20 AGI, +6 MP%, but it's real trick is the set ability: you always act first in combat.

The Zap critters and the Cybersaurus are so ruinous :negative:

Shadra loves all the level 2 spells with increased status effect chances, so the Misty set helps for that.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 8, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I didn't know any of this stuff existed. :stare:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Do you like fights? Yes? Fantastic!

Okay, so immediately after beating Umbra and checking out the bottom of Razen, I came straight to Puffoon. About half of what we're gonna do here can be done much earlier, but half of it is explicitly post-game content.

And almost all of it requires access to the multiplayer.

Which, uh, I don't have. Obviously. Anything relating to Figurines (and some other stuff!) is locked away, but they're just items. That means they're in the game's code and I could give myself 99 of all of them.

I threw the other 98 into the Puffoon gift store.

As with Glissini, everything here is a recolor of something else. None of them are quite so brave to reskin the final boss, but one does come close!

The Hot Lava figurine can be obtained by using Tag Mode with a Male hero and tagging with another Male hero. Or finding it in a chest in Capsicum Caverns (Amigo version).

The Hot Lava enemy is level 28, Fire elemental, has 800HP and is a reskin of a Mud Jammer from Erd. If we weren't level 99, the Hot Lava would be worth an awe-inspiring 1 EXP.

Nothing here gives any money and very few have drops. But the ones that do? They're all end-game (or better!) equipment... well, except two but they don't matter.

I'll be going through these in level order, which is roughly the same as bestiary order. It does break down a little at the end but it's fine. Nimbus here is obtained the exact same way as Hot Lava.

It's an evil cloud with a little cat friend! Nimbus is a reskin of Choker and Mistral, two Amigo Mode exclusive enemies. Choker is in Will-o'-Wisp Academy and Mistral is in Capsicum Caverns.

It doesn't do anything fancy, unfortunately, but it's an evil cloud with a cat friend. What's not to like?

Nimbus is level 29, Wind elemental and has 780HP.

The Three Brothers figurine is next and this spawns the most unusual of the fights here. The figurine comes from being the Boy Protagonist and Tagging with someone that has the Girl Protagonist. Or vice versa. Or find it in a chest in... Capsicum Caverns.

The figurine enemy here is the Happyboy (the orange one at the back), but he brings his brothers Prettyboy and Loverboy!

Prettyboy is the blue one, and he's level 8. He's normally found in Will-o'-Wisp Academy. He has 500HP and drops Wakey Tails. How nice.

Loverboy is the pink one, and he's working for the weekend level 16. When not hanging out here, he's otherwise found in the Carbonara Jungle (Amigo version). He has 460HP and also drops Wakey Tails.

All three use their bows to fire arrows all over the place. They don't hurt us much but they can blind, which is something I guess.

Happyboy is way stronger than his siblings, since he's level 30. He has 860HP, and all three of them are Light elemental. Happyboy drops nothing, because he's a scrooge.

Spiky Nut is next and is much lesss interesting than the Three Brothers. Its figurine even goes back again to being the same as Hot Lava.

It's level 31, has 600HP and is Wood elemental. Next!

Wee Tadpole is nice enough to be different, at least. Its figurine is in Capsicum Caverns, of course, or found by having two Girl Protagonist save files tag. Variety!

As an enemy, the Wee Tadpole is a recolour of Frigitad and Wendigo. Both are Amigo dungeon only enemies, and Wendigo is a lower level but stronger than the Wee Tadpole.

(i let it get a turn on purpose)

Wee Tadpole here is level 32, Water elemental, has 800HP and drops a pair of gloves! In particular, it's the Flash Mitts for Sorbet - +2 Power, +5 IQ and... +30% chance to inflict Sick. Yeah, for whatever reason, her Ailment Up equipment is in the multiplayer.

Buffalope Herd is next up, and this figurine is obtained the same way as the Three Brothers.

The actual enemy is spawns is six Buffalope Herds. You might recall the Buffalopes as regular enemies on Carbonara that summoned a demon.

These guys don't do that. They just call for more of each other, breaking the rules of turn order and getting as many turns as they need at once to refil their ranks up to six! Rude!

They're level 33, Earth elemental, have 450HP each and can drop... Green Frogs. Welp.

Next up we have a Skeleton Bone Warrior, which is obtained from... the same way as Hot Lava. Dangit.

It's a skeleton enemy. Like the Galcium or Armagel, except thoroughly in between the two of them. It's level 34, Dark elemental and has 999HP.

Panic Alarm is next then. You can probably guess how its figurine is obtained. I'll give you a hint: it's the same as something rhymes with "rot java."

It's a little sheep bell at least. Like Bellber, except not at the bottom of an end-game optional dungeon. Noteworthy is that their both reskins of Bellcharm, a very weak enemy from the Will-o'-Wisp amigo dungeon which drops Gold Frogs. They suck as healing items but can be sold for 12,000 Bira a piece!

Panic Alarm is... not that. It's level 35, Light elemental and has 1100HP. No drops either, unlike the other two sheepbells.

Next up we have one that's fairly noteworthy, not for what it is or does but, well, you'll see.

It's an Atomic Bat, but purple this time. It's level 36, still Fire elemental and has 1400HP.

More important is that it drops this accessory. It's not particularly great NOW but...

It's Pico exclusive, and is obtained relatively early. It doesn't do anything exciting, but it's a solid stat boost at +2% MP Regen, +3 Power and +3 Defense.

There is a particularly special drop coming up soon, so remember: all of these are theoretically obtainable about halfway into the game.

Storm Judge is not the one, unfortunately.

It's a grim reaper cyclone thing, except now it's a darker purple. Exciting.

Level 38, Wind elemental, 1444HP and drops beads for Lassi.

Hippy beads, even. +3% MP Regen and +3 Agility is incredibly "not bad" but not exciting either.

Whimsy Salad is the first one in a while that isn't "two boys or in a chest." It's the same as the Three Brothers, which is nice of it.

It's a Leafwich, but yellow now. Level 37, Wood elemental, has 2500HP and doesn't even drop anything.

Witch Waif is next up and boy does she not look like you'd expect. Figurine is obtained in the most common way, of course.

She's a palette swap of Meloniac, which you might vaguely remember seeing in a Chromagar screenshot once.

I let her try and do things but she just cast Jackpot (rank 2 Dark, random buff). And that's it. She's level 37, Dark elemental and has 1820HP.

Chatterbox looks more like a Witch Waif. Her figurine is even obtained by tagging between two girl protagonists!

She's an especially noteworthy figurine enemy, not so much for what she does but what she drops.

See, she's level 39, Water elemental and has 1300HP. It's very easy to drop her in one as a result, without being super overlevelled. Pack some Slippy Oil and snag that Mirror Cloak.

It's Sorbet's ultimate armor! +3 IQ, +8 Defense, +10 Spirit and a nifty pain split effect. Sorbet only takes half damage from everything with it on, and the other half is transferred to a different party member entirely at random.

It's pretty neat and ties well with her Sandals, since it makes a Danger Sorbet strategy more functional.

The final regular figurine is the Bagagong and you know how to get it by now.

It's also the tankiest enemy in the game, without exception. How tanky? Well...

Let's have a dinosaur divebomb it for a second.

It took a whopping 42 damage. On a timed hit. On a weakness. Yeesh.

Bagagong is level 45, Earth elemental and has a tiny 300HP. Just to be, y'know, fair. How generous.

The Crystal Hat would be great if we didn't have the Pigheaded Hat. +6 IQ and +10 Defense is nothing to turn your nose up at, but it has no added effect.

Since every figurine from this point on is post-game exclusive, let's take a second to look over every equipment set we havn't seen yet. Except one.

Including the Winged Set, since it's the last one that's obtainable in the main game. Every piece of it comes from drops on Shadra, so it's not too hard to get.

• Winged Hat: +1 IQ
  • Winged Bangle: +1 Power; +1 IQ
  • Winged Shirt: +1 Defense; +1 Spirit
  • Winged Boots: +1 Agility
  • Winged Studs: +1 IQ
  • Set Bonus: +6% MP Regen; +9 Power; +12 IQ; +2 Defense; +2 Spirit; +19 Agility; First Strike

It's an interesting equipment set with a very good bonus ability. I didn't bother farming for it earlier, but I really probably should have. Guaranteed first strike is fantastic, especially if you get the fullset for everyone. Can really run through things much more conveniently that way. Like, say, the Securitron 3 or Cybersaurus 2.

Now we're into the Amigo Mode exclusive sets, including one that is much more literal than the rest. All of these (bar two) are obtained via randomly finding them in chests in Amigo Mode dungeons. Couldn't tell you which ones, though.

• Monocle: +1 IQ
  • White Gloves: +1 Power; +1 IQ
  • Tail Coat: +1 Defense; +1 Spirit
  • Dress Shoes: +1 Agility
  • Loupe: +1 IQ
  • Set Bonus: +4% MP Regen; +2 Power; +9 IQ; +2 Defense; +2 Spirit; +9 Agility; +25% item drops

It's a thoroughly Okay equipment set, I guess. It's not fantastic stat boosts, but they're not too awful either. The drop rate increase is fleetingly nice if you don't want to waste turns stacking Slippy Oil, at least.

• Force Hat: +1 IQ
  • Force Ring: +1 Power; +1 IQ
  • Force Cloak: +1 Defense; +1 Spirit
  • Force Boots: +1 Agility
  • Force Studs: +1 IQ
  • Set Bonus: +3% MP Regen; +29 Power; +12 IQ; +19 Defense; +14 Spirit; +9 Agility; Endure

Do you like punching things? Like, a lot? Bad news, you're playing the wrong game. Good news, there are two sets just for you! The Force set here is the first and it really cares about physical aptitude since it boost Power by a total of +30 which is ludicrous. That it means you'll hang on with 1HP is a very nice bonus. If you can get it.

• Magic Hat: +1 IQ
  • Magic Bangle: +1 Power; +1 IQ
  • Magic Cloak: +1 Defense; +1 Spirit
  • Magic Boots: +1 Agility
  • Magic Studs: +1 IQ
  • Set Bonus: +15% MP Regen, +9 Power; +37 IQ; +19 Defense; +29 Spirit; +19 Agility; Half MP Cost

Now we're talking! The Magic set here is probably the second best set in the entire game, bar none, and it leans super hard into the "do magic, ruin dudes" aspect of everything. That it halfs the MP cost of everything for the person wearing it is just gravy.

• Egg Hat: +1 IQ
  • Egg Ring: +1 Power; +1 IQ
  • Egg Cloak: +1 Defense; +1 Spirit
  • Egg Boots: +1 Agility
  • Egg Studs: +1 IQ
  • Set Bonus: syserror egg.char file not found

So, uh, the Egg Set here is... special. While the rest of the multiplayer equipment sets can be used by anyone without issue, this set is explicitly only for Star, Pooka, Nogg, Kir, Fondue, Tom Yam and Gelato - the seven possible egg characters. It gives them a much needed stat boost (because they're kinda garbage otherwise!) and there is no way for me to demonstrate their interesting bonus effects.

Like how Fondue is just Goombario. Or how Kir makes HP Pots give you Red Frogs. Or how Star disables random encounters (boy that sure would be nice!).

Oh and this one is unique in that you get it via increasing the Amigo List (number of unique people you've tagged with) to 75 people! Yeah, I doubt anyone outside of, I dunno, Tokyo circa 2006 managed to achieve that legitimately. Each piece requires a different number of Amigos, but the studs need 75 so you can't use the full set until then.

• Justice Helm: +1 Power
  • Justice Arm: +1 IQ
  • Justice Suit: +1 Defense; +1 Spirit
  • Justice Boots: +1 Agility
  • Justice Badge: +1 IQ
  • Set Bonus: +34 Power; -2 IQ; +24 Defense; +9 Spirit; +19 Agility

The Justice Set is our last set (for now) and it's one of two that comes entirely from figurine drops. The, uh, problem is that it might very well not be intended to be obtainable at all.

The figurine enemies that drop it aren't listed in the Bestiary, and I have no idea if the figurines are legitimately obtainable or not. :shrug:

Oh and it boosts Physical attacks at the cost of canceling out its own IQ boosts. Rude!

Anyway, back to Macadameus. Zaphropeak's figurine is only obtainable by using Tag Mode with two save files that have beaten Shadra (the boss). The game doesn't save after the fight, but it does silently update your last save to include Giant Larva, Kale, Gummy Giant and Shadra in the bestiary. That's how you know if you have clear data or not.

Zaphropeak itself is... it's a Pooka. Except this time it's red. Yes, this is explicitly post-game. No, it's not very exciting.

Level 56, Dark elemental, 6800HP so Sugar can oneshot it effortlessly.

Fallen Devil is technically weaker than the Zaphropeak. In fact, Fallen Devil is the weakest postgame enemy. Embarrassing!

It's a palette swap of Chard.

Yes, all the post-game figurines are palette swaps of Enigmas or NPCs that were also bosses (which is mostly just the Space Police). They're in rough strength order based on when they were fought. Chard gets the short straw here since he was fought multiple times and his first fight was before Lt. Mugwort.

At least he fights like Chard 3, so it's not too boring. But he's level 52, Dark elemental (they all keep their original Starsigns in fact) and has 6500HP.

Yes, he's weaker than his final fight incarnation.

The others at least have thematic names that tie into their characters or movesets.

Dance Machine is so named because Lt. Mugwort had a move called Dancing Baby. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's literally it.

At least he gets to keep Jungle Coaster. I would not be surprised if this is a major reason for why Macadameus is located on Puffoon, honestly.

Dance Machine is level 60, Wood elemental, has 18000HP and drops a Towel.

It doesn't sound like it, but the Towel is one of five post-game pieces of equipment. It's part of a very important and overpowered equipment set!

Next up we have the Stench Lord and... you know who that's going to be already.

It's our old friend Gil Mudflap, of course. The smelliest boy in the known galaxy!

Despite not bringing any adds with him, he gets to keep Bossy Push. It's not super noteworthy, but it's here.

Stench Lord is level 66, Earth elemental, has 26000HP and drops us our second piece of equipment.

Since it's weaker than the next Space Police palette swap, we'll take a quick look at the Pig Hasnel.

It's a Dab Hasnel, except its carapace is now red. That's it.

Level 71, Dark elemental, has 38000HP and doesn't even drop anything.

Oh, right, I haven't mentioned the requirements for any post-game figurines other than the Zaphropeak have I? They don't have any. Just tag between two saves with clear data. No gender restrictions. How nice.

Narcissist is Abalon Demar, of course. Keeps the Charm gimmick and everything, making it the only post-game enemy that has something the Misty Set cannot prevent.

Level 78, Water elemental, has 42000HP and drops us a bathrobe.

Yeah, sadly, the fights are not exactly the most interesting things in the world. They're the same as they were in the main game, just with much bigger numbers. And, yes, the Space Police are the only ones with drops here.

Fugitive's next and it should also be very obvious who he's a palette swap of.

It's Magnus Muzzleflash, back from the dead! He even kinda looks like a zombie, huh?

Minor change here is that he can Counterattack from the start of the fight. I think he even does it more often, for good measure.

Level 81, Fire elemental, 50000HP and we'll nick his slippers. They're probably pretty comfy.

Wind Maiden is an incredibly self-explanatory name, honestly. And that's only the name of the figurine.

Pourri's palette swap albino form here is named the Wind Master. Obviously, right?

Rudely, she removed Chai and Sugar from the battle. What a jerk! It didn't help her though.

Wind Master is level 86, in a surprising twist is Wind elemental, has 66000HP and drops the final piece of equipment. We'll put it to use in a bit, but not right now.

Three figurines left, and Seeker's up next. Considering they're in chronological order, that only leaves one person left for this one.

Biek Fowler's ashen cousin is sturdy but not a big threat most of the time.

Except when he decides that he really likes to use Lotus Barrage, of course. Ususally on Sugar.

Level 92, Dark elemental, 68000HP. None of the final three figurine fights drop anything, unfortunately.

Zodalkrew is next and even his name is barely changed.

The gray Equillekrew isn't difficult or anything. He just has so much HP that he'll get turns as a matter of course. That they were all used to cast Jackpot is just bad planning on his part.

Level 95, Dark elemental and 70000HP. He's gonna take a while no matter what, unfortunately!

Finally we have the Insect Mage. Considering what every other palette swap has been, you've probably guessed already who this is.

It's a Kale who looks more like a human than the regular Kale! I know Kale
is human, but he looks like like he could be a Vox (dog person).

Oh and he's always Light elemental. He can do a right number on folks through Shield if we fight him during the day. Yikes!

He even keeps Kale's ability to use every element...

Including Insect Bullets for non-elemental damage.

Actually, speaking of Kale and insects, let's take a second to talk about Magical Vacation one last time.

This little guy right here is named Sesame Ashpot. He's one of the Possibly Too Many playable characters in Magical Vacation. He's noteworthy here for being a quiet, shy boy who got scared easily. His element was Insect.

For some unfathomable reason, some people have cottoned onto this and decided that this clearly means that Sesame is Kale.

It's complete nonsense and yet these people even think the two look virtually identical. Somehow.

We know that Kale as a student had long, messy hair. Madeleine said as much at the very, very beginning of the game! On top of that, he looks like a mad hermit with an iron deficiency.

....Anwyay, the Insect Mage is level 99 and has 80000HP. He's a long fight, but if you're able to beat Cybersaurus 2 you can beat him. :v:

We have one last fight to do before we're done for good. To that end, let's give Chai the shower set from these figurines just to be a bit mean about it.

• Washbasin: +1 IQ
  • Towel: +1 Power; +1 IQ
  • Bathrobe: +1 Defense; +1 Spirit
  • Slippers: +1 Agility
  • Bath set: +1 IQ
  • Set Bonus: +50% MP Regen; +49 Power; +47 IQ; +49 Defense; +49 Spirit; +49 Agility

Yeah, uh, it's very simple. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Increases every stat by 50, including MP Regen for good measure! The set bonus in isolation seems a bit less than we were promised, but if you add each pieces individual boost, it totals to +50 across the board.

As you would expect from the only one that is explicitly post-game, it's the best by far. It's almost unfair, even.

So, let's just fight Macadameus but for real this time. Gonna have Lassi use Mother's Nest before we do anything else.

And the have Chai hit him with some cacti. It's all but a guaranteed 9999 at this point. I think his defenses are lowered until you start fighting proper, even.

...Y'know this is completely unnecessary, but let's just ensure that Chai definitely can keep at full MP by giving him Trance. Combined with the Bath Set this pushes his MP Regen to 118% until it wears off.

Speaking of things wearing off, Macadameus isn't an idiot so he used Celestial Swap to move Gren out of alignment. Chai still hits him for 9999 anyway. :v:

Gonna hedge my bets a little here. The damage is no big deal, but I had Lassi throw an ice cube at him for the IQ Down.

Good thing I did too, since Falcon Dive does so much damage even now! It dizzied Pico here, even, and made Sugar proc her Critical: Barrier.

...Best give everyone Shield then. You know, just in case that happens again.

Oh right, Macadameus isn't completely stupid, He has a powerful physical attack too.

It hits three targets at random. If it didn't double tap, I think he'd have been fine but nope. Gotta revive both of them boys now.

...I, uh, may have prepared for this going awfully. Expect the best, prepare for the worst and all that.

In hindsight, I think it would've been better to give Lassi the bath set (if I used it at all). That and Trance would ensure that her Healing Wing is close to, if not outright being, a full party heal. Ideally without Aura because Macadameus would have it too.

I dunno, that just seems like it could have been a better use here. So long as I can keep Chai alive though, we can push through this.

Like so! Macadameus isn't quite the toughest enemy in the game but he's probably a very strong second. At level 99 with 85000 HP, he's the hardiest and lengthiest beefy boy though.

Obviously, the Warrior Nose is just a bragging rights item. But unlike pretty much every other one in JRPG History, you can get more than one without cheating. That he doesn't get removed or angry at you or anything is great; he just sticks around in Puffoon and lets you refight him even now.

We don't have much reason to, though. Instead, we'll just go beat up Shadra again for funsies with our new super-powered toys. Why not, right? We've got all this power now, so we might as well put it to good use. At least before it gets taken off of us just in time for finals!

Sadly, there's no changes to the ending or anything for doing this. It's still low-key bittersweet despite itself, there's still a nagging feeling that something about it seems... sudden.

Except now we know that it's not. This is how it was always meant to be. Maybe it's for the best that Sturgeon didn't tell us our destiny, thinking about it.

See you, space cowboy. :unsmith:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 19, 2019

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Thanks for doing this and giving this lesser-known game some love :unsmith:

Another random note or two: Money is no issue in the post-game so you can buy the house in Bena Rikashi as well as the pocket watch! I don't believe they do anything though (at least in single player)?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the LP! I would never have known about this game without you, and I'm glad you showed it off.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

...I had not noticed that Kale has a moustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Bellmaker posted:

Thanks for doing this and giving this lesser-known game some love :unsmith:

I'm pretty sure that I haven't mentioned it in this thread, but I first picked this game up years back because you mentioned it as an example of a game that starts off all bright and cheery but gets incredibly dark in the second half. I just sorta had to see how that worked, so I gave it a look and, well, you can see how that went. It's kind of a nice circle, that.

But since a journey through space has finally come to a proper close, I think it's only appropriate for a new journey... through time.

Speaking of space and time, that reminds me of a puzzle!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 13, 2019