Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

Wonderllama posted:

Oh good. Now caps argument stadium can come in here and “ironically” talk about how great he is.

i have been unironic about my love for tom wilson this entire time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Wonderllama posted:

Oh good. Now caps argument stadium can come in here and “ironically” talk about how great he is.

He’s awesome. 2 minute interference. Not his fault the guy weighs 70 pounds.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

In other news, the Devils are 5-11-4 in their last 20 and 2-10-1 on the road. They bad

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
At what point is it time to consider banning Tom Wilson from the league? Two more times after this? Three?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tom Wilson can't even make a good shoulder hit without being scrutinized. That's kind of a liability of itself.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Shammypants posted:

Tom Wilson can't even make a good shoulder hit without being scrutinized. That's kind of a liability of itself.

"A good shoulder hit" from behind 2 seconds after the puck has left the other player's stick.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Slappy Pappy posted:

He’s awesome. 2 minute interference. Not his fault the guy weighs 70 pounds.

It probably would have been 2 but he hurt Seney so it was (rightfully) a 5.

Not sure if I see a suspension in that hit though.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 1, 2018

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I mean technically the ice hurt his face, not Wilson.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Shammypants posted:

I mean technically the ice hurt his face, not Wilson.

I think it was more the whiplash of the hit that hurt him as he was grabbing at his head on the way down already.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres got massively outplayed by both the Lightning and the loving Florida Panthers and I just don’t understand what their deal is. I know it’s only two games but drat dude they were terrible at keeping possession of the puck, terrible at face offs and terrible on the PP. Just horrendous, both games.

If they play like that against Nashville they are going to get trounced. Which I guess I wouldn’t be too mad about but still :v:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I don't understand being mad in the slightest. The gently caress? They just won 10 straight, and Tampa is the best team in the East. OK they have had two bad games. How can you be so quick to be pissed about the team when anyone could have predicted they would have some bad games and aren't going to have the best record in the entire league. You've got to be ecstatic about the start they've had

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It also says something that a team got massively outplayed and still got a point and lost in OT.

Try being a Devils fan - when they lose they get destroyed, almost night in night out right now. They rarely lose games that could have gone either way, it's very decisive most of the time

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel you but because he hurt him with a hit that’s easily avoidable and unnecessary and it’s TOM loving WILSON he’s gonna get the poo poo kicked out of him.

It was like the old Wayne Gretzky post on cap circumventing deals and Kovalchuk. Something along the lines of “listen dickholes quit being dickholes and then someone decided to be an even bigger dickhole so get hosed.” He just doesn’t learn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Checking from behind is an automatic major penalty because it basically can't happen accidentally and you have to be dumber than a box of Caps fans to do it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Checking from behind is an automatic major penalty because it basically can't happen accidentally and you have to be dumber than a box of Caps fans to do it.

I mean I'm fine with Wilson being banned forever

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also since this is probably at least Wilson's second game misconduct for a physical foul in his last 41 games he should have an automatic 1 game suspension.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
What the gently caress, Tom Wilson?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

tom wilson delenda est

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I think if you guys took off your “Tom Wilson is a criminal” glasses for a minute you would see how great he is.

Also there’s not a box big enough to hold us all.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I dunno I think the 'is okay with headshots' box is probably big enough

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Slappy Pappy posted:

I think if you guys took off your “Tom Wilson is a criminal” glasses for a minute you would see how great he is.

Also there’s not a box big enough to hold us all.

Tom Wilson's standing right behind you making a head-elbowing motion right now, isn't he? It's okay, you can tell us.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

fawning deference posted:

I don't understand being mad in the slightest. The gently caress? They just won 10 straight, and Tampa is the best team in the East. OK they have had two bad games. How can you be so quick to be pissed about the team when anyone could have predicted they would have some bad games and aren't going to have the best record in the entire league. You've got to be ecstatic about the start they've had

I mean, I definitely am happy about their record right now. But they have several glaring flaws that were on full display even during the win streak. I’m worried that Housley isn’t a good enough coach to be able to overcome their weaknesses.

It also says something that a team got massively outplayed and still got a point and lost in OT.

Yeah the Sabres have had a shitload of luck this month and that contributed hugely to their ability to win games. They got extremely lucky and the Panthers hit the crossbar several times tonight. Also their goaltending tandem have been outstanding most of the time and have bailed them out time after time. Ullmark was insanely good tonight and if it weren’t for that they would have gotten blown out.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I mean, I definitely am happy about their record right now. But they have several glaring flaws that were on full display even during the win streak.

Dude people picked Buffalo to have another year as a bottom 5 or 6 team.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m worried that Housley isn’t a good enough coach to be able to overcome their weaknesses.

What?? They're 17-7-3 and just won ten in a row despite their weaknesses? Yeah they've been lucky but not THAT lucky. Skinner has been a revelation, Mittelstadt is great, Dahlin is pretty much incredible, and they have gotten solid goaltending from two pretty solid goaltenders. Housley has to be given a little credit for bringing a draft lottery team everyone expected to be dogshit again to a point where, as someone mentioned earlier, even if their flaws showed and they were .500 from this point on, they would still very likely make the playoffs.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Dahlin has been playing 23-25 mins a night this past week with O/D zone starts close to even and his fancy stats are terrific

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Sabres are very obviously a paper tiger but I don’t know what more could be expected out of that group currently. With Dahlin and Eichel they’ve got years and years ahead of them to get better, you don’t go from the basement to a contender overnight.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Listen y’all the Sabres have been so bad for so long I am just bracing for when the rug gets pulled out from underneath me

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frankly I’m not okay with Blackbelt Bobman or whatis getting even a little bit of joy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Frankly I’m not okay with Blackbelt Bobman or whatis getting even a little bit of joy.

Hey, even northern teams deserve a failed cup run to fill the stands with fair weather fans for a year or two, as well.

Remember when the panthers thought they were hot poo poo for like, 4 months?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Dude people picked Buffalo to have another year as a bottom 5 or 6 team.

Good on them, but we're not halfway through the season. They're 15 points out of the bottom 4, 9 out of no longer even being in a wildcard playoff spot, and are .63 essentially. Maybe they'll keep winning, and it's nice to see them do well again, but maybe they lose their next 10. Then what?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JawKnee posted:

Good on them, but we're not halfway through the season. They're 15 points out of the bottom 4, 9 out of no longer even being in a wildcard playoff spot, and are .63 essentially. Maybe they'll keep winning, and it's nice to see them do well again, but maybe they lose their next 10. Then what?

Lose for Hughes time, duh.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

JawKnee posted:

Then we will see, but .63 is a pretty solid chance already

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Erik Johnson probably scrambled Steen's eggs again with a check to the head

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
The Sabres have also been down 2 of their top 4 defenseman the last 2 games. McCabe has been pretty great this season and Scandella has regressed a bit but having him out is noticeable in a bad way.

The line combinations have been terrible the last 2 games as well. Housely made an abortion of a line out of Berglund, Sobotka, Pominville. Berglund has been productive with Larsson and Girgensons. Pominville has been productive with Eichel and Skinner. Sobotka at least looked ok with E-rod and okposo. It's all about opportunity cost, those 3 guys are our 3 worst players but they look like decent nhl capable players on those lines i listed. When you put them all on one line together they are not nhl capable.

Tampa had to give it everything they've got to put the Sabres away 5-4. Sabres even had the lead twice.

The Panthers always bring their A game against the Sabres and we still got a point.

I'm fine with losing to NSH as long as we look decent doing it and as long as we beat the leafs the day after.

Rest up Sabres and get healthy.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Happy December. Someone make a new thread

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Erik Johnson probably scrambled Steen's eggs again with a check to the head

It was a super nasty, he better get suspended hit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

New thread up

• Locked thread