Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WJSdpE-sJQ

Homecoming is a sci-fi thriller television series directed by Mr. Robot’s Sam Esmail for Amazon Studios. Based on the Gimlet podcast of the same name, the show stars Julia Roberts (really!) as Heidi Bergman, an ambitious social worker and therapist turned administrator of the "Homecoming Initiative," a shadowy corporate project with the ostensive goal of helping returning soldiers, like Walter Cruz (Stephan James), readjust to civilian life. Demeaned and overworked by her boss Colin (Bobby Cannavale), Bergman struggles to turn the depersonalized, corporate space into something that can help the people under her care. As the days go by, she finds herself increasingly ethically compromised, her good intentions perverted toward some darker purpose, until—.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WJSdpE-sJQ

Homecoming is a conspiracy thriller television series directed by Mr. Robot’s Sam Esmail for Amazon Studios. Based on the Gimlet podcast of the same name, the show stars Julia Roberts (really!) as Heidi Bergman, a washed-up former therapist who has been reduced to waiting tables at a dumpy restaurant and living with her mother (Sissy Spacek). She is paranoid, anxious, and miserable. One day, an auditor (Shea Whigham) from the Department of Defense stops by Heidi's restaurant to ask her about a "complaint" regarding the Homecoming Initiative, a project that has seemingly been abandoned and whose former facilities now rot in the Florida Everglades. Unfortunately, Heidi finds she has difficulty remembering what she did all those years ago and, as she digs, things begin to fall apart.

The show's first season consists of ten gorgeous 30-minute episodes. It is now available for streaming on Amazon Prime and a second season is currently in the works.

X-O posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is real good, especially the performances and visuals. Esmail is a hell of a director.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I haven’t listened to the podcast yet, so I don’t know if there are clues there, but I assume that Season 2 will focus on Geist currently dosing the entire populace with Red Liquid in all manner of consumer goods, presumably to cover up some mass cultural trauma like an enemy nation invasion/alien attack/doomed planet/Trump presidency. That, or a zombie outbreak, what with all the Geist=Ghost and Lazarus books and regenerating tree leaves. Or they are all just red herrings to make the Season 1 reveals seem like they will be much larger than they actually end up being.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

This show is real good, especially the performances and visuals. Esmail is a hell of a director.
He’s phenomenal. Unique style too.

Nothing specific but still going to talk about the show generally-warning

We are at episode 6 which coincidentally I feel is the weakest so far but overall really good. The show can be so unsettling, disorienting while simple events are unfolding. I will watch anything he directs from here on out. Cast is excellent too.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Show was awesome. Sad there isn't more hype.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm sure a lot of people are expecting amazon to continually put out disappointments, which is sad cause this show is actually worth watching. Especially with 25 min episodes, there's not a second of filler and you can watch the whole season in like 2-3 sittings. Esmail owns.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would people expect amazon to continually put out disappointments?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

because their catalog of original content is pretty lackluster

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Transparent, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Patriot, The Tick, Forever, Mozart in the Jungle, Red Oaks, One Mississippi, I Love Dick....not sure that holds up

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Transparent, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Patriot, The Tick, Forever, Mozart in the Jungle, Red Oaks, One Mississippi, I Love Dick....not sure that holds up

High Castle and Bosch too.

Until recently -- recently being the new wave of shows as is being ushered in by the likes of Jack Ryan -- Amazon was producing exactly what people claimed they wished that Netflix would be making. High quality, thoughtful shows made with large budgets and accomplished writing. Some whiffs, but mostly not.

I think I'll have to see whether thew next wave of originals can maintain my respect, but I'm surprised to find that the channel has a reputation for being lackluster.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I pretty much binged this whole season in 3 days. Esmail's "vision" of cinematography, setting, lighting, editing, music, etc really vibes with me - which is why I gave Mr. Robot way more time than I think it deserved - but I was pretty disappointed with the show overall. Mostly it felt slow, an excruciatingly long setup for a kinda creepy/not that surprising end. It ended more heartfelt and sad than sinister and dark. My expectations were different.

If S2 goes into some deeper, creepier plot, I'm onboard. Julia Roberts, Shea Whigham, and Bobby Cannavale were awesome.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Prime has some very fine shows on it, but it doesn't have anything that dominates mainstream conversation in the same way as Stranger Things, House of Cards (ugh), or Orange is the New Black.

My sense is that Amazon is trying to pivot toward more high-quality prestige shows like Homecoming, the Romanoffs (ugh) and that billion-dollar Lord of the Rings-themed Game of Thrones knock-off to differentiate itself.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The funny thing is I don't think it would actually be a scandal. Discovering side effects of a drug are the point of trials like that. So long as you got informed consent up front you'd be fine. The side-effect doesn't even seem that bad. We'll cure your debilitating PTSD but you'll lose some good memories too isn't a terrible trade.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoyed what a whiff the conspiracy turned out to be. I thought it imparted a nice Coens-y vibe to Sam Esmail's vision, as he's not really influenced by them in other ways. I loved that it boiled down to Heidi's righteous anger screwing everything up and I liked that Carrasco's sadsack treatment in the earlier episodes was made up for.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really did enjoy this season but I'm not super excited for season 2... I thought they wrapped it it very nicely.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Good lord just get Sam Esmail to direct everything forever

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Really hope it gets renewed to see what they do with season 2.

SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2 OF THE PODCAST

Season 2 has Walter living a nomadic type of life. He’s disappeared after living with his mom for a bit trying to rebuild his life. Colin is trying to track him down, and so is Heidi. Walter ends up joining this sort of weird pseudo cult living situation. This season of the podcast was a bit of an experiment too cause each episode had an accompanying ebook. Walter wasn’t in the podcast much, his story was primarily told in the ebook volumes. Season 2 was a bit of a letdown for me, so I’d love to see them redeem what they were trying to do on the tv show.

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009
Second season?

Making her into an action hero social worker? Surprised they could find something for her to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Did everyone watch the post credit stinger? Until then I was like "uh so why even do a season 2" but that short stinger hinted at so much, and turned a bunch of earlier things into potentially massive hints (especially that Geist started out as a company that makes Literally Everything In Your House .

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What was the significance of the fork at the end?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What was the significance of the fork at the end?

Remember how Walter kept on turning the pen on her desk to trigger her OCD?

Anyway, this show rules. I'm fully on board with anything Esmail does, every shot and camera movement is lavish and planned to the second. The way he works scenes is beautiful and just feels like someone at the peak of the craft. For all its faults i still wouldn't miss a second of Mr Robot and this is just more good poo poo.

Didn't have any knowledge of the podcast, the tale being told was good but hot drat does the way its been told elevate it all. Solid TV, can not wait for more.

masterpine fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 7, 2018

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I tried listening to the podcast, but the first episode or two was literally just the same exact dialogue from the tv show. Is there any divergence, or anything to be gained listening to the podcast after watching the show?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's kind of unbelievable that the source of the story is a podcast when so much of the storytelling is done visually (beautifully so).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Klungar posted:

I tried listening to the podcast, but the first episode or two was literally just the same exact dialogue from the tv show. Is there any divergence, or anything to be gained listening to the podcast after watching the show?

I haven’t finished the tv season yet but through the first three or so episodes it was identical.

I’m partial to the podcast so I’d say finish season 1 if only because David Schwimmer’s performance of Colin is so amazingly over the top slimy. Season 2 you could probably skip though and wait and see if there’s a season 2 of the show.

trash person fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 27, 2018