Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It was a nice touch. Probably my favorite other shot is when the whole gang is walking down to the Braithwaites mansion. Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Losing Arthur gave the epilogue some real weight. The whole time I was running around as John I missed him, exactly as John and the others did. It just worked so well for putting you in the headspace, and made John's reformation feel earned. Knowing where the story goes next, too, kept me wanting to hang around the ranch and interact with the family as these are objectively "the good years". gently caress, what a game.

I noticed Arthur falling sick almost immediately, I noticed it while checking his stats on the menu and began taking tonics assuming it would cure. When it didn't, and his cough set in, I had this sense of dread, like what is the game doing to me? And then seeing it in his face, and people commenting on it, it just felt so natural and tragic. I ended up reading a book on TB, thanks Rockstar!

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 24, 2018

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It’s funny to I remember the trailers showing how bad Arthur Morgan would be and he ends up being the a well written rockstar character. Even in my 2nd playthru I’m not doing a low honor run cuz gently caress Micah getting to get the killin blow on Arthur. And yeah i smiled and was sad a little when Charles said he found Arthur’s body and buried him on the mountains.

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I'd just like to say the range of emotion Colm O'Driscoll goes through when you ruin his escape attempt is equal parts amazing and tragic. The animation done on that was something else.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Four-Eyes posted:

I'd just like to say the range of emotion Colm O'Driscoll goes through when you ruin his escape attempt is equal parts amazing and tragic. The animation done on that was something else.

Oh yeah. One of Dutch's plans I wholeheartedly agreed with.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Donovan Trip posted:

Losing Arthur gave the epilogue some real weight. The whole time I was running around as John I missed him, exactly as John and the others did. It just worked so well for putting you in the headspace, and made John's reformation feel earned. Knowing where the story goes next, too, kept me wanting to hang around the ranch and interact with the family as these are objectively "the good years". gently caress, what a game.

I noticed Arthur falling sick almost immediately, I noticed it while checking his stats on the menu and began taking tonics assuming it would cure. When it didn't, and his cough set in, I had this sense of dread, like what is the game doing to me? And then seeing it in his face, and people commenting on it, it just felt so natural and tragic. I ended up reading a book on TB, thanks Rockstar!

Even the scene after you get the money and contract TB has an extremely subtle coughing sound laid over the music as Arthur rides back to camp. It's simply fantastic storytelling.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Goddamn do I hate cougars. Found the legendary moose only to get mauled to death by a cougar from behind. Goddamn rear end in a top hat.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
On my second playthrough, I'm gonna shoot that hillbilly before he rapes Arthur. Maybe then he won't die of AIDS at the end.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Donovan Trip posted:

Oh yeah. One of Dutch's plans I wholeheartedly agreed with.

And the only time it isn't Dutch's fault things go wrong.

Sadie has the biggest murderboner in the entire gang.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, there's something really overwhelming about seeing a character struggle with their disease. As soon as they revealed that Uncle had Lumbago, I knew there was no way things would end well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Doppelganger posted:

On my second playthrough, I'm gonna shoot that hillbilly before he rapes Arthur. Maybe then he won't die of AIDS at the end.

I still can't loving believe this is in the game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought I was in the clear for no more soul crushingly depressing moments, but then John and Abigail had to get married on the same hill they'll both get buried at. :smith:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mycot posted:

I thought I was in the clear for no more soul crushingly depressing moments, but then John and Abigail had to get married on the same hill they'll both get buried at. :smith:

That's kind of nice. I don't think any of that is depressing. Given the situation John and Abigail are real winners, but you can't escape your past ultimately. If I were to view it from beyond the grave, I'd be satisfied with being buried with my wife where we married.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, just the fact that John, Abigail and Jack were all able to get away for the short amount of time that they did is a success in my book.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

mycot posted:

Damnit I hadn't even noticed that

I'm replaying sp and it's fascinating to see the relationship between Arthur John and Abigail, knowing now what happens. He ALMOST doesn't go looking for John on the mountain and is pretty cold about it.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 30, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Red dead online had all the cool RDR1 cameos so far like Bonnie, do you folks know if there’s any others

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
I did a stranger mission for Shaky (I think that's his name, the stuttery dude who helps you get the mounted gun in the first RDR) in Thieves Landing in RDRO. Some guy stole his girl and I had to go kill some banditos.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I did the mission where you have to clear squatters off of your new land. Killed two of them and hogtied the last one to see if he said anything interesting. Instead, the mission ended and started a cutscene of John walking over to his horse and riding away. The hogtied dude wriggled out and started shooting John from a couple feet away the entire time. It was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

There's a few real subtle storytelling moments that I appreciate. The first time in Chapter 6 when you see "Stranger" in camp is infuriating, things are so broken down already and now Micah's bringing in randos? Arthur's anger matched my own.

Also love the displayed money take after the final train robbery mission. Camp funds are inconsequential at this point, but it still shows that the take is $6000, and Arthur's share is $0.00. A little metagame dig to let you know he's out.

• Locked thread