Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cebrail posted:

Even the main emotion vs. academia debate seemed a bit trite to me. I guess that's more a problem with the piece itself than with the format.

Yeah, I think there may be a fair bit of this that works better in a play format because you can't pause and think about it -- it's just quip-quip-quip-quip and the fact that, say, fractals and chaos theory are different things, gets papered over by the movement of the presentation, because you only have so much time to think about any one thing before the next set of things is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I think there may be a fair bit of this that works better in a play format because you can't pause and think about it -- it's just quip-quip-quip-quip and the fact that, say, fractals and chaos theory are different things, gets papered over by the movement of the presentation, because you only have so much time to think about any one thing before the next set of things is happening.

although i think the "precocious person invents things before their time" is done better here than in the r&g screenplay where stoppard has rosencrantz discover like newtonian physics and hamburgers during the longer monologues

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It just isn't postmodernism if it doesn't misexplain and then draw the wrong conclusions from basic 20th C. science.

Fake edit: To be less pithy, R&G is awesome but I can't imagine trying to read it, or seeing it without a decent memory of Hamlet. I had the same thought here: Who is this play for? People who know who Byron is, and have a casual interest in science but don't really understand math, who will see a play about academics in the '90s instead of a movie... is the intended audience liberal arts PhDs?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
who on earth would see a play instead of a movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I read R&G before seeing it performed and I think it works really well on paper, especially the "unicorn speech" which may be the best thing he's ever written

I also played Guil (or was it Ros? :v: ) in high school and my god that was even more fun than playing nick bottom in midsummer was

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Need suggestions for next month. Christmas-themed is optional but not mandatory.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Need suggestions for next month. Christmas-themed is optional but not mandatory.

How about "The Chimes" or "The Haunted Man and the Ghost", both by Charles Dickens. Dickens wrote 5 Christmas/holiday novellas, and A Christmas Carol is the most well-known, despite being the first one written. Both are readily available and under 200 pages, if I'm not mistaken. They also fit within your theme for the year.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Blizzard by Vladimir Sorokin. It’s a weird little book with enough post-apocalyptic weirdness to keep the genre side of TBB interested but also a very clever pastiche of the Russian classics set in the icy wastes of Siberia. It’s on Kindle BTW

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The Blizzard by Vladimir Sorokin. It’s a weird little book with enough post-apocalyptic weirdness to keep the genre side of TBB interested but also a very clever pastiche of the Russian classics set in the icy wastes of Siberia. It’s on Kindle BTW

This sounds cool as heck so I went ahead and put it on hold regardless of if it gets picked

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

How about "The Chimes" or "The Haunted Man and the Ghost", both by Charles Dickens. Dickens wrote 5 Christmas/holiday novellas, and A Christmas Carol is the most well-known, despite being the first one written. Both are readily available and under 200 pages, if I'm not mistaken. They also fit within your theme for the year.

Right now I'm thinking these two plus carol for a dickens holiday medley. Nobody ever reads anything but Carol so spreading out to the other titles will be interesting, and it'll give me an excuse to read them too.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Alzabo Soup podcast nerds do an excellent recap / analysis of Arcadia here.

I actually hadn't heard of the play before listening to their episodes and still feel like I enjoyed Arcadia more than a handful of other productions I've been to.

You'll want to start at the bottom and work your way upward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Apologies it's taking me so long to get the December BOTM thread up! I have had some poo poo going on that has kept me preoccupied!

It is going to be the dickens christmas poo poo because what the hell https://manybooks.net/titles/cricket-hearth and https://manybooks.net/titles/dickenscetext96tchms12.html and so forth but I'll try to throw a few curveballs in to keep it interesting