Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Slippery Tilde

etalian posted:

$48 a hour working as a engineer

$49-50 here, depending on bonuses. the owner of my firm pays himself a salary of $380k. zillow says his house is worth just shy of $5mil

my wife is a medical fellow who gets paid less than the nurses at her hospital

did you know that physicians have one of the worst gender pay gaps of any industry? it's right around 30% and appears to be worsening, which may or may not be related to rising numbers of women doctors

more women than men enter medical school now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
are there really engineers who are paid in hourly wages?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Slippery Tilde
we hafta bill hourly and project labor estimates for proposals and contracts break it out into hourly costs anyway so it makes sense

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I make 72/year and upper management has weaseled out of giving us any kind of real raise since 2010. At first it was understandable when the economy took a poo poo but now the people that do the actual work are starting to get pissed. Oh and my boss got a 10% raise this year and last year.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I left my job at the national lab getting 90ish in rural SC to move to a big city to follow my spouse, who is a medical resident for treating cancer. I now work part time at an SBIR farm getting 2200 a month, but my wife handles all the bills making 60ish and i'm hoping to promote myself to full time when my proposal goes through. Luckily I knew who to call and how to sell the idea to them, so I'll probably be making 60k after it starts.

Thank gently caress, we'll be loan free in a few weeks.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Beef posted:

are there really engineers who are paid in hourly wages?

Government work and contractors often have to be hourly, but guaranteed 40 hours for accounting reasons.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i make about 80k living in CA, and tbqh making more than i ever expected to make in my career. my husband makes about 30-40k working retail (he's been working for the same company for 10+ years).

we do ok. i still have about 30k in student loans and i pay about 1k/mo on it. our rent is like 2.2k/mo. we can't afford a house and probably never will, and houses here start at 500k with a hugely competitive market. plus we're just two people, why the gently caress would we need a whole house???

more critically (to me), i'm trans and terrified to live anywhere else, and i've had an easy experience here with coming out/living as an openly trans person. no issues with my workplace, no one has really been rude to me about it, and i don't want to lose that. i wish all trans people could have this, and god i am scared of losing it. i don't know if i'm strong enough to deal with the alternative.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gnossiennes posted:

i make about 80k living in CA, and tbqh making more than i ever expected to make in my career. my husband makes about 30-40k working retail (he's been working for the same company for 10+ years).

we do ok. i still have about 30k in student loans and i pay about 1k/mo on it. our rent is like 2.2k/mo. we can't afford a house and probably never will, and houses here start at 500k with a hugely competitive market. plus we're just two people, why the gently caress would we need a whole house???

more critically (to me), i'm trans and terrified to live anywhere else, and i've had an easy experience here with coming out/living as an openly trans person. no issues with my workplace, no one has really been rude to me about it, and i don't want to lose that. i wish all trans people could have this, and god i am scared of losing it. i don't know if i'm strong enough to deal with the alternative.

Not that it's much better cost wise, but Seattle is safe for trans people too.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
big

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Pancakes posted:

This thread feels like a trap.

i wanna take all your money and put it in a big dirt pit and keep it there until it rots enough to not be tender

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol i dont need money to survive gently caress this poo poo im gonna live in the woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
been there, done that for many years. poo poo is the worst

• Locked thread