Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Part L-16: The Promise Fulfilled

The Promise Fulfilled

:siren: Flower Stamp Condition :siren: : For once, it doesn’t matter, but you can just keep handing Mireille things until the meter is filled. After which…

Well done! You’ve shown me the ultimate item that you can create! Congratulations, twins! You’ve successfully reached S Rank!

The first S Rank! Which means… which means!

Yes! We’ve done it, finally! Our dream of becoming the greatest atelier in the kingdom!

Yes! We’re the greatest! We’re the greatest!

That’s right! First in the kingdom means the greatest, right? Hahaha!

Still though… I’m glad for you, twins. I’ve watched your progress for so long, so I’m very proud… Hey, come on! Don’t just stand around here, anyway! There must be some people you want to tell about having become the greatest, right?

Ah! You’re right! We’ll see you later, Mireille!

Hehe! I can’t wait to see the look on Lucia’s-

Wait just one moment, Sue! Come to think of it, we’re forgetting something very important!

Ah, right! …Mireille!

What’s this? Why did you come back? Did you forget something?

It’s thanks to you that we made it this far, Mireille. We came back to say thank you!

What…? Just for that, you came back?

Yes! Mireille! You’ve watched over us all this time…

Thank you so much for all your guidance!

Hehe, hey, stop it! I made a decision to never cry at work… Lydie, Sue… You’ve worked so hard. Well done! I honestly can’t believe you made it this far. I never imagined it when we first met!

Wow, really? That’s a bit of a mixed message there!

Oh, it’s fine! It just means you’ve grown even beyond my expectations! You just keep heading forward, girls. Congratulations again on reaching S Rank!

Thank you, Mireille! …Now, it’s Lucia ti-

No wait, Lydie! Look! In the plaza!

Ah!

img]https://lpix.org/3292589/Mathias.png[/img] “We became the greatest alchemists in the kingdom! Aren’t we awesome?” Right?

Hey! No making fun! That’s exactly what I was going to say, too!

img]https://lpix.org/3292589/Mathias.png[/img] Hey, we’ve been doing this for a while now. I kinda know what you’re going to say. I can’t believe those two crazy twins turned out to be the greatest, though! Just goes to show!

What? That you can’t predict the future, Mathias?

We told you from the start that this is exactly what we were going to do!

img]https://lpix.org/3292589/Mathias.png[/img] Yes, good point. I think it’s pretty impressive that you pulled it off. So, sisters from the greatest atelier in the kingdom! Use your alchemy to bring greatness to the world!

Hehe! You haven’t seen nothing yet, Mathias! And now…

We’ve got something we have to tell you, Lucia!

Stop smiling like that and sidling up to me! I know what’s going on here. You’ve reached S Rank, right? Congratulations.

Hahah! I’m an adult, thank you, unlike you two. I’m not that short-sighted. You may have beaten us to S Rank, but the power of Atelier Borthayre remains unchanged! We’ll be S Rank soon too, before you know it, and then we’ll be bringing the fight to you! Ohohoho! Enjoy this brief moment of glory while you can!

Mature, are you? Lucia. We won’t lose that fight!

You said it, Sis! We’ll crush you completely, Lucy!

Haha, that’s my line! You can have the title of greatest, until that time comes. Just keep doing your best! Ohohoho!

Hmm… next, let’s go down Soleil Street. First place we hit will be…

What? Failed a synthesis and leveled your atelier?

Of course not! Atelier Rank, that’s what we’re talking about! Our Atelier Rank!

We’ve finally gone up to S Rank. That makes us the greatest atelier in the kingdom!

Uwah, you could stand to be a little more interested! Just a little!

Why? I knew it was just a matter of time before you did it. I don’t think it’s anything to lose my head over. Am I wrong? All that talk about becoming the greatest, but inside you didn’t have any confidence? Is that it?

No, that’s not the case at all!

There you are, then. It’s only natural that you went up in rank. No need to get too excited.

Hmmm, OK. It feels like you’re taking the long way around to get to a compliment.

I d-don’t know, but it doesn’t feel all that good?

Fine, fine. Let me add one more thing, then. Congrats, both of you. Is that enough?

Hahah! That’s what I wanted! See you again, Alt!

…Man, these twins are a busy pair. Even though I knew it was coming, though, they really have impressed me. Just how far can they go? The future looks bright indeed.

Uh, Lydie?! Off we go! Hmm… to the garden! Loop around before we get home… ah!

You’ve reached S Rank! Haha, you don’t even have to say it!

I knew you’d do it, girls.

Hehe, thank you! You’ve both been such a help to us!

T-This is starting to feel like a farewell! We’re planning on staying here a while longer, right?

Ah, sure! We didn’t mean it like that. But, having reached S Rank, it feels like we’ve finally made it.

Hehe, that’s fine for now. Just remember one thing, though.

Plachta is right. We want you to become even more incredible alchemists!

Don’t be satisfied with this. Continue to hone your abilities. Understand?

Yes! Hehe, we’ll knock your socks off with our alchemy one day, you’ll see!

Hahaha! I’m looking forward to it already, Lydie, Sue!

Now that we’re here…

Indeed we do. We finally reached S Rank!

Wow, that’s amazing! Congratulations, girls.

You two are amazing, for sure. I know! Let’s hold a celebratory party!

A party? That sounds great!

Yeah! Ah, Liane? Plenty of meat on the table, please!

Hehe, it’s a celebration! I’d better start hunting right away!

Yes! That sounds great! I’m looking forward to it already!

Ah, we’d better get moving. I can’t wait for the party, though! See you later!

…They remind me of you after taking the certification exam, Firis.

Hahaha! I looked like that, too? Then that makes me really happy.

Indeed. I’ll never get tired of seeing someone so happy!

The greatest atelier in the kingdom! Congrats on achieving your dream, girls.

Hehe, Puniboy says he thinks it’s great!

Hehe! That makes it all the better!

One last person we have to visit before going home, Sue! The one who’s done the most of all for us…

We’ve reached S Rank and become the greatest atelier in the kingdom!

I see… I see…! That’s good… no, that’s great!

Of course not! I just got something in my eye! Uwah! Phew, I finally got it out. Well done, girls. You worked hard, and made your dreams come true. That’s my students!

Ilmeria! This is all thanks to you. Thank you so much!

Heheh, it wasn’t easy. Teaching you is tough! But it was a lot of fun, too. Thank you, girls.

Ilmeria…!

Ah, but never forget! You are my students, now and forever! Slack off, or step off the path, and I’ll bomb you into oblivion!

Hahaha, no need to rub it in! I’ve no desire to get turned to ash!

We’ll come to see you again soon! Bye!

…Hehe. I’m as happy as if it happened to me. Dad… Becoming someone’s mentor feels good, doesn’t it?

Hahaha! They’re all congratulating you too! Isn’t that marvelous!

It is! And now…

Heheh, we’re home!

Welcome back, girls. I can tell from the looks on your faces, no need to say anything more! Congratulations. You’ve done so well. I really am so proud of you. You reached this point so quickly… I hardly did anything to help. Sorry about that!

No, it’s fine. You may have let us down a bit in the past… But you’ve proven yourself very reliable recently. Even helped with the synthesis!

That’s right. We wouldn’t have reached S Rank without your help, Dad. We became the greatest atelier in the kingdom by working as a family. Right?

Haha, I’m so happy to hear you say that. Come on then, let’s go.

Right! We have to let Mom know!

Hehe, welcome! So glad to see you.

Hehehe, Mom! We’ve got something really important to tell you today!

Heheh, I know you’ll love this!

Oh my, whatever could it be?

You see, we’ve passed the S Rank exam!

We’ve become the greatest atelier in the kingdom, just like we promised you!

Wow! That’s amazing, girls!

Of course we kept our promise! We love you, Mom.

That’s right! We’re good girls who keep our promises!

Yes you are, my darlings, very good girls. My precious treasures, is what you are!

…Hehe!

There’s more. We’ve got something to give you, to commemorate the occasion!

You have? A present from you both? I can’t wait!

Hehehe, Mom, this will knock your socks off! It’s the greatest item we’ve ever made!

Get ready! Here’s our present to you! Ta-dah!

No, that’s not it. Hold on a moment.

Hey! Whatever did you just do?

Hehehe… We stabilized your existence, Mom!

What? What do you mean?

Well, the reason you were about to vanish was because your existence was fading out.

When this painting was made, the material forming you - ether, I presume - there wasn’t enough of it.

Using the Pastels of Unity, though, allowed us to provide you with more ether!

That’s stabilized your existence, and it means you won’t have to vanish! Simple, right?

Sorry, I don’t really understand it either. Girls, when did you pick all this up?

Oh, they were really hard to make, but the theory behind them isn’t that complex?

Yeah. Even I understand it! Dad, are you slipping?

Ha… haha! This is incredible! Alchemy can even overturn fate. I was prepared for the worst, long before now. You two are incredible… Kids just grow up without their parents even noticing, don’t they!

Yeah. It looks that way. Hahaha, I’m amazed. You surpassed me without me even realizing it!

Heheh, where do you think we get it from?

Sue is right! We’re your kids, after all!

Gah! You’re going to make me cry now!

Hahahaha! This means we can all be together, like this, from now on, too?

Yes, that’s right! You won’t disappear now, Mom!

But I don’t think we’ll be able to live together, at least for a while.

Why not?

In order to become alchemists who can help everyone, well, we’ve made a decision.

You see… we’re going to leave for a while, and travel.

Leave! Hey! This is the first I’m hearing about this. What about the atelier?

Hey, Roger. They’ve made this decision. We have to respect it… Come on then, Lydie, Suelle. Will you tell me what you’ve decided?

Of course!

End Credits

Music: Song of Paintbrushes and Hope - Anri Kumiki

From their humble abode…

To the fantastical worlds inside…

Where will their adventures take them next? How will they fulfill their new promise to use alchemy to make everyone happy?

…Stay tuned to find out!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
If I remember that scene earlier, i imagine they’ll be bringing joy to people around the world by working at a circus, with Sue doing gun tricks and Lydie as a strongman act!

It’s a perfect ending.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

nrook posted:

If I remember that scene earlier, i imagine they’ll be bringing joy to people around the world by working at a circus, with Sue doing gun tricks and Lydie as a strongman act!

It’s a perfect ending.

Strongman? Lydie? I think you'll find that's just the stuff of Sue's worst nightmares :colbert:

Speaking of endings, my ETA is having the first two up over the next two days, and then getting out two more endings with their own associated event sequences and then the true ending out over the three-day weekend. Really conveniently timed for me!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Honoring the Promise: Protecting the Atelier

So as you might have guessed, if you synthesize the Pastels of Unity, you’re locked into the True Ending. No ifs, ands or buts. But what if you don’t? What if you pass the S Rank exam without synthesizing the pastels?

To become alchemists who can become everyone, right?

That’s right! That’s why, Mom…

We’ve decided on something, in order to keep that promise with you!

Oh, how lovely! Can you tell me what it is?

Hehe, you see…

That first choice is the Normal Ending. Now, let’s see what the twins have in mind…

This is the plan!

And so, some time later…

Honoring the Promise: Protecting the Atelier

Music: A Dream Come True

Running the greatest atelier in the kingdom isn’t easy. It’s brought in loads of customers… The girls are working so hard. Desperate to keep their promise to you.

What?! We can’t make those if it’s just the two of us! Where’s Dad?!

I haven’t seen him for a while. Has he run off again?

I bet he has! Dummy-daddy! Gah, complaining won’t make us any more bombs! Lydie, you take half of them! I’ll come help as soon as I’m done here!

I’ve got this! Time to go into top gear!

Me too! Let’s do the thing, or we won’t get through this! 1, 2, 3!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 30, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Honoring the Promise: Harbingers of Happiness

This is the Good Ending option! You need to be at alchemy level 50 and combat level 50 in order to unlock this option. (That's also a requirement for the True Ending, so if you see Firis dropping in to check on the twins after they start the S Rank exam, then you qualify for this by default.)

Fun fact: in the base version of the game, this option read “Become the greatest alchimists (sic) in the world”. Of all the typos in the game, this one was too embarrassing to let stand. Anyway, moving on!

This is the plan!

Some time later…

Honoring the Promise: Harbingers of Happiness

They are far to the south at the moment. I’m just happy they’re doing so well. After becoming the greatest in the kingdom, now it’s the greatest in the world! Bold, girls, bold!

Their dream to become alchemists for all!

We need to deliver that medicine, too. Can’t forget about that!

We’ve just got so much to do. What can we do?

What do you think? Do them all, of course! What else is there to do?

Yeah, I mean, I know that. Whatever it takes to make everyone happy, I’ll do it.

Hahaha, me too. So let’s just handle these one at a time.

Good call. There’s still a long way to go, so we need to take it slow and steady… Ah! Aaaaah! We forgot to deliver the bomb to the mayor!

Right. Let’s split up. I’ll go back to the town, and you handle the stuff around here!

Sure thing. Sorry, Sue.

No need to apologize. We’re doing this for everyone, right?

Yes, right! We can do this!

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 30, 2019

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Forgot to post it yesterday but the endings titlecard in the OP is from a piece that Yuugen and NOCO collaborated on to celebrate the release of Lydie & Suelle and thus the end of the Mysterious trilogy. Yuugen posted it on his twitter here:

https://twitter.com/Yuugen_99/status/943755352457097216

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Honoring the Promise: A Booming Business

This is the “twins get rich” ending, which has its own event sequence you have to fulfill.You kick it off by having the twins drop below 10,000 Coll after starting the S Rank exam…

Rich Ending 1

What are you talking about? Oh, you’re right! You know who the culprit is… Right, Dad?

Gah! High quality brushes were on sale. I couldn’t help myself. I’ll pay it back!

Gah, dummy-daddy! You need to stop wasting money!

Yeah, I’m angry too. I just want to stuff him in a barrel and…

Scary stuff!

Bah, what should we do? We don’t have enough for food! We can’t touch the atelier capital, either. I guess it really is back to the soup train!

No, please! That stuff is disgusting!

But we just don’t have the money. You’ll just have to grin and bear it, Sue.

Uwah, Dad! Fine! I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to save up lots of money! So much money that even Dad can’t spend it all! We’re going to be super rich!

Dream bigger, Lydie. We’ll live in a mansion like a castle, and we’ll have butlers and maids! In any case, let’s start saving. Even just a little bit at a time is better than nothing.

After getting 20,000 Coll

Rich Ending 2

Yes, it’s working! All this money is giving me a tummy ache!

Really? Just this wad of notes? We need to aim higher! To be super, super rich!

Yes! Yes! We can’t become accustomed to this life without money. What can we do to make more? Just cutting back isn’t enough. To be mega rich…

Yes, mega rich! What can we do? A way to make some money? Ah, I know! How about we sell pictures of ourselves? We’re so cute, I bet they’d sell!

Pictures? No, that’ll never work. No one would buy a picture of me.

They would, too! You just need to put yourself out there a little more!

N-No, no way! I’m against that, totally! We’ll save up some other way!

Gah, very well! We’ll just keep crawling along like this for a while, then.

And then once they get 50,000 Coll

Rich Ending 3

This much money means we can eat all the cake and pudding we want! I can buy every book I want!

Tell me about it! Gorgeous dresses, beautiful rings. We can buy whatever we want!

This is a market economy! Money makes all the difference! Sue, isn’t money great?

You said it, Sister! Money is almost as almighty as alchemy! Once we reach these numbers, though, I just want more! How can we make even more money?

Hmm. Is there someone who can give us some ideas? Who do we know who’s rich… Lucia?

A shop? We already run one of those, don’t we?

No. I mean a larger, more shoppy shop! If we bring in more customers, we can make more money!

I see. To truly become rich, we have to increase our income. Yes, that’s not a bad idea. But can we just go ahead and open a shop like that?

Hmm, maybe not. We should ask Mireille.

Good idea. She’d probably know a lot about that kind of thing, too… Right! Wealth, here we come! To Mireille!

Go, go!

Here’s the thing. We want to make more money, and to do that, we want to open a bigger shop!

We’re here to ask if we need a special permit or something like that?

O-okay, okay. I get the gist, no need to keep shouting. Ahem. If I skip to the end, basically, you need a permit to open a large shop, yes.

Ah, I knew it! Is there an exam or something?

No, nothing like that. You just have to buy a Business License.

Buy one? Spend money to make money, you mean? I guess money really does make the world go round.

How can we make money, if we need money first before we can start making it?

The two of you seem a bit focused on money, all of a sudden. Did something happen? Anyway. We issue the licenses here. One of them will cost you about this much.

T-That’s expensive! It costs that much?!

This is crazy! Just a piece of paper costs that much?!

Heheh… “Concessions”, “vested interests”… The adult world is a lot more complex than you think.

Uwah, really?

That’s the situation, anyway. You need a permit. That permit will never get cheaper. I’ll call in the supervisor of my staff. Talk to them if you want to buy one.

All right. We’ve come this far, so we can’t give up now!

Come on, Lydie… Dream bigger…

After shelling out the 50,000 Coll…

No, Lydie. This is an investment in the future! It’s our golden egg!

A golden egg? Yes! That’s a good way to think about it! The expense hurts, sure, but we’ll make many times this back. Right?

That’s right. That’s the way to think about it!

Yep! Hahah! Let’s go and show this to Dad.

Oh, good idea! Get ready, Dad. We’re going to knock your socks off!

What! That’s a Business License! The one that’s so expensive, people say it’s surely a ripoff?

Yeah, I thought it was too expensive…

What about it? You didn’t buy that, did you?

Yes, we did. Dad, this is the age of the big shops! That’s what we need! We’ve decided to open a big store, bring in lots of customers and become rich!

Alright… If that’s your decision, I’ll follow it. From now on, it’s going to cost you so much you’ll come to think that license was cheap… But oh well, good luck.

…What?

Running a larger store costs more money by itself. Nothing like the small store we run now.

It does? Like what?

First, the construction costs of expanding the atelier. You’ll also need more shelves and things to sell. If you start hiring staff that will cost you, too, and extra syntheses will increase supplies expenses. The tax on a large store is expensive, too. The bill will make your eyes pop! Bring it together and you’re looking at a start-up of millions of Coll. Then there’s monthly costs…

Uwaaaah! Millions…?

I-I had no idea it was going to cost that much…

The world is a harsh place. If you want to get rich, gradual savings might be the best.

Oh. Sounds like it’s time for me to retreat.

Boy… What do you think, Sue?

I-I’m not giving up! Whatever it costs, we just have to make more than that! We’ve already paid for the license! We can’t just throw that away.

Hahaha, you’re right. Now we need to start saving in order to open the shop, then.

Yeah… Getting rich isn’t easy…

After recouping the 50,000 Coll needed for the license…

Rich Ending 4

Sue, what are you doing?

I’m planning the layout for our future shop. I want to get the plans figured out, while we can.

What’s this?! Play-it-by-ear Sue is making plans for the future?

Hahaha, sorry! You’re really passionate about this, though… You really want to be rich?

That’s part of it, but I also think a shop is a good way to become alchemists who work for all. If we make a lovely shop that many people come to, and fill it with alchemy items… That should bring the items we make to even more people, right?

Ah, good point! If we sell a lot of our items, that’s one way to bring them to lots of people!

Right! So that’s why I want to open a big store in the future! Ah, of course, together with you, Lydie. The shop run by two cute sisters!

Hehe, that sounds lovely! In which case, we need to keep on saving our money!

Uwah, I know, I know! No luxuries, economy is key, snacks once a day… And then…

Hehe. A shop with Sue… I sure hope that day does come.

And so it comes to pass…

This is the plan!

Honoring the Promise: A Booming Business

We’ve got plenty of stock today. Please, form a queue!

Hmm. Taking current sales into account, next we will need… this and this. Lydie. Do you have the materials to make more? If not, we’ll need a new contract, quickly.

I don’t think we’ve got enough. Leave it to me, then, I’ll get it sorted!

Okay. Next, I need to go and check on our branch on Soleil Street.

Hahaha, you’re so busy! Are you sure you’re not pushing yourself too hard?

I’m fine. This is all so we can make even more money, you’ll see! Make more money, and open more shops. That’s how we can help the most people! As the beautiful president in charge of this, I can’t stop now!

Hahaha, all very well. But we’ve sold out again!

What? After all those we made? C-Change of plans, Lydie! Start making more, right now!

OK! Hahaha. Making money isn’t easy, is it!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I can't believe that we'll have to guillotine the girls in the coming revolution. :thermidor:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

thank christ this ending isn't canon

though seriously even though it's a good outcome for these twins who've spent most of their lives in poverty, it's probably the most dubious at "using alchemy to make everyone happy" and I like it even less than the good and normal endings which take time to remind you that Honnete is dead and gone, once more, forevermore

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Honoring the Promise: Alchemists and Mysterious Painters

Of course the game was going to have this ending option! But like with the big shop ending, this one has some hoops to jump through first. Let’s check in with Lydie, who made some mysterious paints shortly after starting the S Rank exam…

La la la, la la!

Painter Ending 1

Yes. Dad gave me a canvas. What should I create, oh, it’s very exciting!

Hahaha, I know that feeling. A blank canvas is so appealing! Creating your own world from nothing… I love that feeling!

Me too! Oh, wait a second… How did you put it? Your own world?

What! W-Where did that come from?

You just said “create your own world”, didn’t you? To have our own world inside a painting, and then go on adventures there! That would be great! My mind is made up. I want to paint Mysterious Paintings! Heheh!

D-Dad, you too? I don’t think this is possible!

Promise with Mom Number 1! “Don’t give up before you even try…” Ow!

Don’t make fun of me!

Hehe, you’ve got me fired up now. Really fired up, Dad! Is this the fire of creativity?

I… think so. You’re really getting into this, aren’t you, Lydie? Oh well… I guess it would be cool if we could make Mysterious Paintings… I’m just not sure about your art style, Lydie… But alright!

Days later…

Painter Ending 2

Hmmm… Another failure… This one isn’t a Mysterious Painting, either.

It isn’t going to be easy, is it? Are you using Neige’s Paints?

Yeah. Why isn’t it working?

What do you think, Dad? You’re the one with the experience here.

Good question. Are you clearly visualizing the world you want to create?

I don’t think that’s the problem. Lydie’s paintings are totally her own unique little world.

Yes, you’re right.

Now it’s just a case of lack of practice, then… Paint enough and you’ll get there eventually.

You think that’s all? Lydie is pretty lucky, so I thought she’d get it pretty soon?

Hey, don’t underestimate Mysterious Paintings. Many have tried, few have actually painted. Painting one is a miracle of miracles… I know how lucky I got, believe me. No matter how lucky Lydie is, there’s a lot of hard work involved in this task.

Yes, you’re right. I just want to get inside that painting, though!

Is there nothing else we can do? Oh! How about asking Neige?

Neige? You mean Neige Chintreuil? I hate to break it to you, girls, but she’s been dead for a long time.

Hahah, actually! Just like Mom, Neige is also living inside a painting, even now!

Seriously? I guess she was the one who invented Mysterious Paintings, after all… Impressive! If that’s true, though, then you should go and ask her! She might have some unique insights.

Yes! Let’s go! For our own worlds within paintings!

It’s rare for Lydie to get so passionate about something… I need to back her up however I can!

Painter Ending 3

Actually, we’re here to ask you a question today. Is there a secret to making Mysterious Paintings?

No.

That was quick! Really? What about drawing a magic circle on the canvas? Or mixing blood with the paint?

Hey, alchemy isn’t black magic! There’s no secret to it, so I can’t help you! You need to use Mysterious Paints, and paint while imagining the world you want to create. That’s all. If you follow the right steps then it shouldn’t be all that hard.

Uwah, easy for you to say, Neige! I’ve tried lots of times already, and it’s no good…

Lots of times? Hold on. What Mysterious Paints are you using?

These, here.

What? …Pitiful?

That’s right. These are only the concept model. I mean, they might be enough for a Restoration… But for a new painting you need to use much better paints! Even I wouldn’t be able to do it with these.

What?! Well that was totally unexpected!

Hahaha! So… if someone did make a Mysterious Painting with these, they’d have to be pretty impressive, right?

Yeah, I guess so… They must be a pretty hard worker… Anyway. If you really want to make Mysterious Paintings then you need to improve your paints.

What? You aren’t going to tell us the recipe you used, Neige?

No, I’m not. It’ll be more personal if you think of the recipe yourself, won’t it? These paintings are alchemy, too. Feelings are key! Fill the paints with your intentions! If you can do that, I think you’ll be able to spread your colors across a white world.

I see… Thanks, Neige! I’ll try improving the paints, then! Once the painting is finished, I’ll invite you over to my world! Just wait and see!

…Okay. Now, take some time to mull on what I’ve told you… and do come back!

Don’t overthink it, Sis. The most important thing is, what do you want to paint?

What do I want to paint… I want to create a painting that everyone can enjoy! A fun world… I think that would make everyone happy!

Hahaha, that sounds lovely! I’d like to paint something like that too. Let’s hold onto those feelings and create a new recipe!

Yeah!

Some time later…

Good. I think this should do it!

Great! We created this together, after all! A recipe from us both means double the power!

Yeah, you’re right. We need to remember this feeling when we synthesize, too.

After synthesizing this paint

We’ve done it! The improved “Neige’s Paints”!

Well done, Lydie! I’m so glad it worked out!

Hey, don’t judge based on appearance. The emotions poured into these are totally different!

Yep, that’s right. With these, I can do it!

Come then, Lydie the artist! Madam Lydie! Create your first masterpiece!

Yes, leave it to me! Right, canvas, easel, go!

What? Why not? We’re just about to create a Mysterious Painting!

Oh my, this isn’t easy to say, but it might be a bigger problem if you do manage to create one, you know?

I’m not sure I do. What do you mean, a problem?

Once, a very… “unique”, shall we say… artist managed to complete a Mysterious Painting… The world inside, though, was… let’s just say, little better than a tipped-over alchemy cauldron. Those who went inside had a very difficult time… Do you see now?

In other words, because Lydie is so bad at painting, if she actually does manage to create a Mysterious Painting…

…It could end badly. Inexperienced artists can’t be going around making Mysterious Paintings. I stopped you two from going into the Heavenly Flower Garden because I was worried about my own work.

I see… If even Dad was worried, then maybe you shouldn’t do it, Lydie?

Gah! You just come out and say I paint badly?! I’m not stopping! I’m mad! I’ll keep practicing! I’ll practice so much I’ll become better than you, Sue, and even you, Dad! Then I’ll paint a Mysterious Painting that will make everyone happy!

Ah, we upset her. You shouldn’t have said she can’t paint, Dad!

Hey! I didn’t say that. I actually quite like her paintings. But if you’re going to make a Mysterious Painting, you at least need a sketch first!

Hmm, okay. Maybe I’ll start practicing art too?

That sounds like a good idea. You’ve got those paints, now. In the future you could even become known as sisters who paint Mysterious Paintings!

Hehe, I think I like the sound of that!

And all that unlocks…

This is the plan!

Honoring the Promise: Alchemists and Mysterious Painters

Are you ready for this? I call it “Romance & Violence”! The perfect world for a young woman seeking both some romance and some stimulation!

:eng101: I see, I see. And what about you, Madam Lydie?

Me? Well… my next theme will be… “March of the Rabbits”!

:eng99: Excuse me?

My next theme is March of the Rabbits! I think a horde of bunnies would be quite soothing.

:eng99: S-Sure, maybe you have a point. Thank you. How about a message for all your fans?

No problem! I’m going to paint something you’ll love again, don’t worry about it!

M-Me too. We do this to bring joy and happiness to you all! I just hope our paintings can make you all happy. That’s what we want, more than anything.

:eng101: Thank you. We will be looking forward to your next work.

You can count on us! Right, Lydie?

That’s right! Please look forward to our next Mysterious Paintings!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Honoring the Promise: Vanguards of a New Age

After all that, we’re finally getting to this ending, which came upon synthesizing the Pastels of Unity! So let’s recap on what you have to do to unlock the True Ending sequence:
  • Combat Level 50 and Alchemy Level 50
  • Complete most of the ambitions in the ambitions journal
  • Finish everyone’s event sequences
  • Get a flower stamp on almost all of the Atelier Rank Exam tests; my first playthrough, I missed one flower stamp, but still got access to the True Ending.
And with that, let’s see what the twins had planned after they saved Honnete with the Pastels of Unity…

Honoring the Promise: Vanguards of a New Age

Hey, Sue! Are you ready yet?

Hold on, just a little longer! I’m almost done… I think!

If we don’t hurry up, Sophie and the others will get here! Then I’ll have to leave you behind, Sue!

No, no! I don’t want that! I’m hurrying, OK!

Hehe. It’s just like them. I’d be worried if this went any other way.

Yes, good point… Honnete, are you sad?

No, not at all.

Yes, well said.

Lydie, Sue!

Are you ready to go? We’re leaving!

Well, then. Dad, Mom… We’ll be seeing you.

I don’t think we’ll be back all too soon, but take care of yourselves.

That goes for you, too. Do your best out there!

Go and find yourselves in this wide, wide world! Girls…

Music: Colors - Chata

Ah, sorry! I used them up!

Hahaha, I’ve got some extra ones here. If you need some, you can use these.

Thanks. Now I can complete the request.

Hey, that reminds me. Firis, isn’t the deadline on that request coming up?

Ah, I completely forgot! I need to start synthesizing! …In which case, let’s call in Ilmeria for some help!

We can’t do that. We’ve been calling on her everyday recently! You’ll drive her mad!

Yeah, good point… We’ll have to do this ourselves.

Hold it, Sue. You’ve got a request too, haven’t you? With a deadline today?

Aaaaaah! W-What should I do? I’ll never make it now… I think I need to call in Lucia!

No, maybe not. You worked her fingers to the bone last time, didn’t you?

Alright, so let’s split up and start synthesizing! We’ve got more than enough alchemists here. If we work together, we can do this!

Uwah, sorry for the rush! Thanks!

Once we finish this synthesis, where do you two want to go next?

Good question. What do you think?

I don’t have a preference. All we have to do is make everyone happy as we go!

Let’s just see where the road takes us, then. I don’t know what lies there… But if we’re all together, it will be fine!

Yes! If monsters turn up, or if a rock gets in the way, we’ll just push on through!

Well said! No matter what happens, we’re alchemists!

I wonder what new encounters lie ahead! What new events we might enjoy? Hey, Sue?

Right, Lydie!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Well uh, it’s done! I get that the Last Chapter really dragged out, but that’s a result of my own decisions to bump everyone’s character arc resolutions until now. And then I began the S Rank exam (and synthesizing the Pastels of Unity).

Speaking of S Rank, here are the ambitions!

Linking Chain is a Battle Mix you unlock from the questboard. You’ll need to make an Elixir of Laawe with HP Recovery M and the component Supreme Article to get the Battle Mix recipe. To do that, you’ll need to use a Wicked Bone as a catalyst to hit these effect thresholds. Otherwise you’ll do a bit too well with the HP Recovery threshold in order to finish the quest.

Death Knight Addis is a boss you fight for a quest, while you can fight the Uber Dragon as part of Sophie’s event sequence.

Anyway, we got character arc resolutions and endings! And a few spoilers from the previous games. But with that, here they are in the order they appeared:

CGs

Two-Faced King[url]
[url=https://lpix.org/3531342/500_years_ago.png]What Happened 500 Years Ago

Luard 1
Luard 2
Heavenly Comfort
Their Dreams
Just as Tasty
On Vacation!
Synthesis (Both)
No Matter How Busy (Normal Ending)
To be the Greatest in the World! (Good Ending)
Busy Again Today (Rich Ending)
Bunny Parade! (Mysterious Painter Ending)
One Era (True Ending)

1.03 Scenes
Lydie’s “Mysterious Painting”
Shouting into the Void

Other Bonuses
Fuoco’s Fire Dragon
I couldn’t make the time to transcribe this, but you can fight Fuoco and her Fire Dragon repeatedly in the Last Chapter.
Another Alt
The above scene is one you don’t need to see to get the True Ending (and heck, it’s mildly spoilery for both of the last two games too), so I didn’t transcribe it.

Combination Arts
Full-Power Gunplay (Sue/Mathias)
Sanctuaire of Demise (Lydie/Alt)
Einzelkampf (Alt/Mathias)
Four Pillars of Heaven Judgment (Alt/Ilmeria)
The music is basically Ilmeria’s theme, but much tense. (Also behold, the one time Ilmeria and Alt interact face to face in the entire game)

Location Notes and Memos

This is a completely red world from a painting found in the mountains. I feel an overpowering feeling whenever I’m here… It’s like a powerful presence I can’t place…

Bestiary Notes

Termina for round one is really easy since she has absolutely no magic or elemental resistances to speak of; all you really have to do is use the Star Sprinkler to double Firis’ skill damage output and let her go to down.

Now in her true form, she’s a bit tougher since she has marginal elemental resistances and more HP to soak through; proper setup (e.g., stalling her with a Lightning Crystal, AOE buffing medicines and debuffing her defenses and using the Star Sprinkler) can still let you smash right through her though, and she’s just as vulnerable to Firis’ Corundum Nova as ever. I tried to use Alt’s follow-up chain, which fell short; I probably needed to use Oath of Glass to massively buff his Equipment Effect and skill damage output in order to pull it off, but I was literally out of turns before she finally attacked.

Now Palmyra takes a bit more effort to defeat on the first go, since she has elemental resistances and a moderate magic resistance; these can still be (relatively) neutralized with a N/A, though, but it’s still possible for her to survive five follow-ups from Firis.

Now if you’re going at Palmyra at level 90 with all eight of Firis’ follow-ups in tow, then it’s no contest.

Palmyra in her true form is much tougher (and heck, I had to bump the difficulty down from VH because I didn’t remember just how hard she’d be); you really need to be on point with your equipment and bomb crafting and your action economy to beat her.

Fuoco’s Fire Dragon is pretty easy to beat if you just use any of the usual boss-killing strategies you’ve honed by the Last Chapter (Star Sprinkler, N/A, Firis bombing, etc etc)

Probably fitting Alt’s own in-game commentary about how Luard was weak, this incarnation of Luard is pretty easy to take out before he even gets to attack. He’s got sizeable magic and elemental resistances (so Firis and, ironically, Alt himself will be relatively ineffective unless you use the N/A), though Sue and Mathias also have good physical damage options to beat him up hard and fast.

Remember the Avenger from Chapter 10? Well Death Knight Addis is basically that but a bit stronger and bulkier, but this time he has no lightning resistance, so he’s that much more vulnerable to getting Lightning Crystal’d to death.

Now the Uber Dragon is pretty tough since it’s much more resilient than its HP and Defense stats let on; even with the Star Sprinkler and a N/A, Firis’ follow-up chain did just enough to take it out for me. But if it works…

So, yeah, just to make a point, I had Sophie demolish my party at level 90. Seriously though if you’re facing her below level 100, you lose by default since she’ll strike first and get two actions, which means she’ll instantly blank two of your party members. And even at level 100, you need the most top-end speed traits possible just to get the jump on her.

Sophie as a boss is also designed to shut down a lot of the game-breaking strategies you’ve been using up to this point. It’s not safe to knock her back with a Lightning Crystal since she’ll instantly retaliate with Aura Strike, which even if it somehow doesn’t immediately knock out the attacker, will still knock them back to the end of the queue. So you’re going to take her attacks and you’re gonna like it. The Star Sprinkler can be risky since if Sophie loses MP, then she’ll use Sotea to massively buff her attack, defense and speed (to the tune of 1000 points each). That also makes it much harder to set up a Firis bomb, since you will need to buff Firis and make sure Sophie hasn’t supercharged herself in order to do the job.

Anyway, for her I’d recommend using a Spirit Weave Cloth with its AOE evasion-enhancing effect maximized, as well as applying buff traits (like Blessing of Strength or Blessing of Skanda or Soul Dwelling). Being able to dodge any of Sophie’s attacks gives you that much more leeway to set up on her. If you’re going to use the Star Sprinkler, then for the Firis Bomb, use an Eisen Luft with Purge Enhancements and both twin powers traits and Eternal Power (which adds physical damage so you can fire off Chains Quasar), so Firis can hit her at full force and so that you’re not stuck in an unwinnable situation with a massively buffed Sophie.

Music
Decaying Crown -Last Light-
Hello, Toyoda here! I always find myself living in dark, depressing places drowning in clouds of despair… But I was glad to be hauled away from all that for a while to work on this title. It’s enough to make my heart pound… And it’s just so bright. (Toyoda)

Decaying Crown -Dark Knight-
I also made a small contribution to the creation of sound effects. One that gave me particular trouble was the “sound of smoke.” The sound giving off by billowing smoke…? I may have to head back to “billow” ground and think about it. If you will excuse me. (Toyoda)

Shooting Star (Lydie & Suelle Ver.)
Hello. This is Ryudai Abe. I’m delighted to have been able to contribute again this time. I was given absolutely free rein to arrange this piece however I wanted. I hope you all like it. The original work is a lovely piece which I am very fond of. Shinpei Nozaki plays the guitar. (Abe)

Losaria
Toshinori Hiramatsu plays guitar on this track too. This piece feels typical for a collaboration between him and myself (lol), but the melody itself is fairly ostentatious. Part of this is due to the look of the boss, but I have always liked combining two antithetical elements within the one work - vigor and grace, for example - to create real complexity. (Achiwa)

Final Sanctuary
This one is for Lydie and Alt’s combination attack. From their characters and the name of the move, I felt this needed a touch of adolescent arrogance, so I deliberately made this in an awkwardly grand RPG style. (Achiwa)

Full-Power Gunplay
Mathias’s special move! I have a feeling that if Mathias existed in real life, he’d be very popular with the ladies, but what do you think? I like Sue’s line here. (Yanagawa)

Einzelkampf
This piece isn’t actually as sweaty and masculine as some might fear. I figured everyone’s glued to the screen anyway, so I could afford to really play around with the bass line. I found myself doing this a lot in this title… To be honest, I’ve always wanted to, and I just couldn’t hold it back anymore… (Yanagawa)

Song of Paintbrushes and Hope
For the ending theme, I invited Anri Kumaki to come sing for us. Figuring that the series’ twentieth anniversary is as good a time as any to try new things, I made a conscious effort this time to get as many new vocalists to the series as I could. They were all wonderful, and I felt very privileged every time I recorded their voices. HIROTOMO is on bass, Miyoshi on guitar, and Mukoyama on violin. (Yano)

Colors
This track features vocals by Chata, Dani on guitar and bass, and Ono on violin. It’s a smooth number, neither particularly powerful nor particularly emotionally stirring. It should match the voice work in-game in a way that isn’t jarring in the least. Actually, it’s quite hard to find in the game, so I have to express particular gratitude to those who managed to hear it for playing all the way to the end. […] The first verse is from father to child. The second is from the father to the whole family. I tried to switch the lyrical focus subtly in this manner. The second verse onwards doesn’t actually play in-game, so I was able to let loose and be more flamboyant with the arrangement. I hope this is the kind of song you can listen to after clearing the game, and fondly remember your favorite scenes. (Yanagawa)

And well… that’s it! The twins didn’t just reach S Rank and fulfill their promise to become the greatest alchemists in the kingdom. They ascended the pantheon of world’s greatest alchemists, they saved their mom and brought her back into the real world, and now they got to have their perfect, happy ending with the protagonists of the previous Mysterious games, working miracles wherever they go.

It’s been a hell of a ride these past ten months, and definitely a hell of a learning experience. Thank you all for your support! Now, time for me to figure out how to get this thing onto the archives…

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Thank you for playing through this game! Although i like the concept, these games are definitely not for me, but I do enjoy their LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://lparchive.org/Atelier-Lydie-Suelle/

Well, I guess it's time to turn the page on this thread! Thanks again for reading, and see y'all on the other side, whatever comes next.