Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoyWee
Jun 8, 2004
I don't like humans.
Hi Goons,

I mostly lurk, but I am posting to see if any Los Angeles county Goons have any advise. I moved to East LA (Pasadena) in the summer of 2017. I had to leave a job I really liked in Denver, but am glad I did as thinks went downhill really fast after I left.

I have a lot of experience and varied skills mostly as an Operations and/or Office Manager, with a lot of Social Media/Marketing skills.
Since relocating I did what I had done in the past, when moving to a new city; reaching out to temp agencies, getting an idea of what is commutable and what is not , etc.

So far I have not have a great deal of success. First job had multiple locations; when I started I was told I would be at a one location, but as my training ended, they said I would be placed at another location REALLY far from me. The next thing I took was with a large company that had NO training, even though that was one of their huge selling points in the interview process. I bailed at the end of the probation period as it was also a super toxic office. Since then I have done a lot of temp/contract work but I feel like I am not gaining any traction. I can get interviews and interest in my resume/skills but all of the jobs seem to be in Santa Monica and I really hate that much of a commute. I just can't believe that there are NO jobs in east LA.

I am currently teaching myself how to edit in iMovie and how to use Garageband to edit some VO stuff from a class I took to get a starter demo together.

Any advice or assistance from the goon community is very appreciated.
:tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Go to all the shows. Comedy, open mic, music, arts festivals, everything. Meet people. Be aggressively friendly and charming and funny. I know it takes 4 hours to drive the 10 miles to whatever neighborhood the shows are in, do it anyway. You're in Los Angeles.

Knowing all the menus in imovie is fine, but your primary goal is meeting people, and not just people who can get you a job, meet your peers. Say yes to lovely temp work, do whatever gets you out and meeting people in the biz.

BoyWee
Jun 8, 2004
I don't like humans.
I am not looking to make VO my full time job, I am looking more for a Marketing/Ops Manager job...I understand the networking piece I am just not finding jobs that I can reasonably commute to and the jobs I can find at a reasonable commute don't want to pay more than $12/hour.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Wait a minute I just drove through loving Frankfort Indiana today and every factory had a sign up saying starting pay $17 an hour. You can literally buy a safe comfortable house in Frankfort for $60k. You are telling me people are working for $12 an hour in LA? Califonia?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Are you moving and/or quitting jobs before you have another ones lined up?

Just making sure I'm reading this right.

BoyWee
Jun 8, 2004
I don't like humans.

Elephanthead posted:

Wait a minute I just drove through loving Frankfort Indiana today and every factory had a sign up saying starting pay $17 an hour. You can literally buy a safe comfortable house in Frankfort for $60k. You are telling me people are working for $12 an hour in LA? Califonia?

Yes. I mean there are good pay jobs here but they are all much closer to the coast than where I live with hellish commutes. I am trying to find as many networking events as I can to get my name out there.

BoyWee
Jun 8, 2004
I don't like humans.

Motronic posted:

Are you moving and/or quitting jobs before you have another ones lined up?

Just making sure I'm reading this right.

I moved because my partner got a dream job in a city we both wanted to relocate to and they make WAY more than I do. I tired to work with my former company in Denver to handle as much as possible as I could remotely as multiple employees had done so before me, but the management team was shady and forced me to draft a resignation letter.

I have quit ONE job since moving to LA because I was promised "excellent" training and got zero and was dealing with a very toxic group of people. It was not an easy decision.

We can afford to live on one income, but I HATE not working.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

We just started paying entry level dishwashers/busboys $20/hr at the restaurant my friend runs in Denver. Still having trouble getting people.

BoyWee
Jun 8, 2004
I don't like humans.

Pryor on Fire posted:

We just started paying entry level dishwashers/busboys $20/hr at the restaurant my friend runs in Denver. Still having trouble getting people.

I can see that tho. Rent in Denver is getting to be on par with LA prices. We actually ended up saving money our first year here on rent and we are still saving on Car/Renter's, Medical insurance(with lower premiums and co-pays) gas is about the same(we don't have 85 but 87 is about the same), sales tax is about 1% higher here but yeah, I can see why it's rough finding hires, bummer. :( If you need a newsletter person I have experience with that.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Elephanthead posted:

Yeah, but then you'd have to live in Frankfort Indiana.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
How is the iMovie stuff supposed to help you? You live in the city where all the video editors live.

You could, uh, move? Commute like everyone else? Outside of specific resume or job interview stuff, you can do those two things.

BoyWee
Jun 8, 2004
I don't like humans.

Blinkman987 posted:

How is the iMovie stuff supposed to help you? You live in the city where all the video editors live.

You could, uh, move? Commute like everyone else? Outside of specific resume or job interview stuff, you can do those two things.

I am just learning iMovie is just for me, not for anything job related. Also, I can't "just move" I'm married and my partner makes much more than I do. That was basically the choice I was given when leaving Denver; my job was like "You can stay here and keep your job or move and resign", cool, yeah, that's a solid plan....
I am happy to commute, within reason, but 2 hours each way, every day is not a tenable situation for me since I am currently in the middle of a bunch of medical stuff on top of the job search.

It's not like I haven't thought these things thru...I am just trying to work within what will work best for me, my life and my own personal circumstances... :coffee:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Uh dude, east LA is NOT Pasadena

do background extra work. Sign up for Central Casting

BoyWee
Jun 8, 2004
I don't like humans.

Alan Smithee posted:

Uh dude, east LA is NOT Pasadena

do background extra work. Sign up for Central Casting

That is part of my plan, but it's good to hear it as a suggestion. Thank you. :)

(edit) also, if Pasadena is not East LA, what is it? Asking in all honesty, since I am not sure what is considered.

BoyWee fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 21, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

BoyWee posted:

That is part of my plan, but it's good to hear it as a suggestion. Thank you. :)

(edit) also, if Pasadena is not East LA, what is it? Asking in all honesty, since I am not sure what is considered.

Pasadena?

Do you have a car? There's plenty of apps where that comes in handy

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah
Downtown LA has a lot of jobs, and you have the option of taking the metro.

Look out into the Valleys, San Fernando and San Gabriel.

It sucks because your probably going to have to spend an hour in traffic on your commute, even if the job is 5 miles away.

BoyWee
Jun 8, 2004
I don't like humans.

Alan Smithee posted:

Pasadena?

Do you have a car? There's plenty of apps where that comes in handy

I do have a car, but I really want to limit my commute for a LOT of reasons. I am on block off the Gold line. Job Apps or like traffic apps?

BoyWee
Jun 8, 2004
I don't like humans.

Manwich posted:

Downtown LA has a lot of jobs, and you have the option of taking the metro.

Look out into the Valleys, San Fernando and San Gabriel.

It sucks because your probably going to have to spend an hour in traffic on your commute, even if the job is 5 miles away.

I am looking a lot more an DLTA now that I know the metro better. :) I have done temp jobs in Glendale and Burbank, ideally that is where I would like to be. :)
I am also looking in the Valleys as well. :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
everyone WANTS to limit their commute but you live in LA

your options are evidently have a worse commute or go on doing what you're doing right now

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Like drive for uber/lyft

also take the bus as much as possible. It loving owns when you can do it. You don't even have to pay for it if you don't want to lol

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
If you're not willing to commute how do you expect to find a career? It's possible the job that fits you best is a commute. This is Los Angeles - and echo that you live in Pasadena, so LOL of course you're going to have a drive. You may have to just suck it up for awhile and eventually find something else, just find something you can deal with and keep your eyes open for other closer opportunities.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Infinitely mad you have a very good and useful goldline just sitting there that takes you where you want to go.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Heya fellow Pasadena goon. There's a bunch of weekly/monthly startup & networking events in Pasadena you can find on Meetup. You might be able to make some connections for work there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

OP I think you should define “long commute.” I’ve never even been to LA, but everyone I’ve ever met who lived there has talked a great deal about the immense commutes. It’s a driving city, which is in reality planned like a cluster of suburbs, and commuting is a part of life in any city.