Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Has anyone found a good combo of custom difficulty settings that keep the game reasonably challenging throughout? I've been messing with enemy health/enemy numbers and a zero blackstone start. On 25% more enemies / 50% hp I found the early missions undoable (chipping away at 9-hp Necrons with a phosphor pistol and no upgrades of any kind is not a winning strat). On 25/25, once you're past the first three missions or so and have some basic gear and upgrades it feels like you're ahead of the power curve again.

edit: I guess I could try an artificial limitation like "no tech priests above level 10" or whatever but it would be nice to find some "official" settings that work well.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Hey guys, is the DLC expansion Heretek a new campaign or is it something that is integrated into the old campaign?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Tarquinn posted:

Hey guys, is the DLC expansion Heretek a new campaign or is it something that is integrated into the old campaign?

It's apparently part of the main campaign, but the missions haven't unlocked for me yet so I have no idea when it's supposed to be available.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

VolticSurge posted:

It's apparently part of the main campaign, but the missions haven't unlocked for me yet so I have no idea when it's supposed to be available.

Thanks! I have no urge to replay the main campaign yet, so I guess I will pass on that DLC.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

VolticSurge posted:

The Heretek missions pop up during the main campaign, but any mission can give the new loot and you can spec into the new Xenarite talent tree at any point.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Just picked the game up again, and I noticed they changed the exploration mechanic from when I last played: now there are these fancy icons. The cog and blackstone ones are pretty straight forward, but what do the others mean? In particular, is there ever a reason to choose the Necron/AdMech logo? Seems like it always has a negative result.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
The necron logo occasionally lowers awakening instead of raising it, but I never pick it anyways. The admech logo unlocks items i think? that one has always been positive for me. The running foot is initiative, mostly bad but not always. The little tech priest head shot is + or - hps, more bad than good. I always pick blackstone or admech logo if available, if not then CP.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Been playing this for a week and while extremely entertaining the game is steamroll easy even on hard with iron man and perma death. I beat it on my first try at like 55% of the meter. Also the missions that go from "everyone escape!" to "nah, gently caress it just kill them all" are bullshit.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got this on the recent Steam sale. I kept hearing it was easy, but then the second mission Scaevola offered, capture a Destroyer, seemed to be a huge spike in difficulty. Two low-level priests and a bunch of servitors could barely do anything while it one or two-shot everything.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 22, 2020

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Dr Christmas posted:

I got this on the recent Steam sale. I kept hearing it was easy, but then the second mission Scaevola offered, capture a Destroyer, seemed to be a huge spike in difficulty. Two low-level priests And a bunch of servitors could barely do anything while it one of two-shot everything.
This is the classic early-game trap mission. If you can get past it you will start snowballing as the game goes on.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
holy poo poo this game is fun. it isn't quite x-com, it reminds me a lot of odium in the chesslike approach and order of operations that need to be juggled.

what is also hilarious is how incredibly broken the game gets if you start grinding the lexmechanic tree. halfway through awakening in my run, i have five tech-priests, four of who can fill cognition and three of which can halve their cognition for the next attack. along with the ignore armor, +9 energy damage, and +9 physical damage canticles, i can basically end every boss fight in one round.

poo poo is HILARIOUSLY OP and so much fun.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

There is a feee weekend in steam atm.

But: where the gently caress are my servitors?! I go to a tomb with 4. A fight begins, I only have my 2 mages and can't deploy servitors? I get owned so much. And this is only my 2nd mission.

Edit: thank god I had an autosave. I loaded it from the tomb's entrance, returned to ship. No fees, no necron progress. WIll try again.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 18, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ihmemies posted:

There is a feee weekend in steam atm.

But: where the gently caress are my servitors?! I go to a tomb with 4. A fight begins, I only have my 2 mages and can't deploy servitors? I get owned so much. And this is only my 2nd mission.

You need to spend a cogitation point to deploy servitors (more for more advanced troops) and you can only do so at the beginning of a turn. So if you want to summon one, make sure you either head into the battle with cog points, or save some for when the turn is over.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

You need to spend a cogitation point to deploy servitors (more for more advanced troops) and you can only do so at the beginning of a turn. So if you want to summon one, make sure you either head into the battle with cog points, or save some for when the turn is over.

Thanks. So I will have to avoid fights until I have gotten some cogs...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Just get some cogs from the cog monolith things in the combat maps, you can deploy the servitors between every turn during the battle itself.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Whatever. This is clearly not a game for me, too much BS. Uninstalled.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
The one thing that does kinda annoy me about this game is that it's possible to go through multiple playthroughs without seeing all the unlockables. I've completed it three times yet I've still never seen the Kataphron Battle Servitors.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The devs were teasing some news for this the other day that turned out to just be a "complete edition" that includes the DLC. I keep hoping we'll get a full-on sequel. The game is great in every way except for the power scaling being a bit wonky and the tomb exploration being a bit thin.

I'm fairly sure they could fix a lot of the scaling problems by beefing up the Necrons a bit and imposing limits on how much cognition you can use for movement. Either make each extra bit of movement cost one more than the last (so 0, 1, 2 etc) or maybe even have it double each time. Or just put a hard cap on how far the tech priests can go in each turn.

Making the tomb exploration more meaningful is probably a bit trickier, but I'm sure there are ways.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Crashbee posted:

The one thing that does kinda annoy me about this game is that it's possible to go through multiple playthroughs without seeing all the unlockables. I've completed it three times yet I've still never seen the Kataphron Battle Servitors.

Just customize your game and turn off the awakening bar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd love them to do like a Deathwatch game using this setup. Can add other xenos enemies and locations like Tyranid hive ships or webway locations.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Can anyone tell me how good the switch port of this is? I want to get it but I have been burned on switch ports before.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drashin posted:

Can anyone tell me how good the switch port of this is? I want to get it but I have been burned on switch ports before.

I don't know if it's been fixed but initially it was way worse than the PC one from what I've heard.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are ship size upgrades just random rewards like everything else?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So, If i want to actually get the lore and story, i should just focus on one characters missions and then on a different playthrough try a different storyline?

I'm not too worried about the upgrades considering its basically impossible to lose once you realise how to play.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 22, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Doing every mission for either Scaevola or Videx gets you a new ending, as each have a goal in mind and their missions work towards it. I think you have to do every mission to get their ending, not just the “final” one.

I *think* doing Kephra missions increases the likelihood of new troop types. Her missions all involve pursuing some strategic or morale-boosting goal.. There’s no overarching story.

Rho is just about scavenging for supplies. You get fewer unlockables but more blackstone.

Caprix missions are all boss fights against named characters, so do those for flavor at least.

Secret stuff: Holding “space” while on the bridge toggles the blue noosphere view and reveals Tireseus’ portrait. He’ll periodically offer a series of missions that culminate in a secret boss fight.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Thanks, it took me a second to realise that i could do the rebellion missions in the DLC without making the awakening bar go up too, which was neat.

E: Oh i accidentally finished the game at 60%. Whoops.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 25, 2020