Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

I just had this thought right now: why is he called Skeletor when every part of him except his head is pure muscle? Shouldn't he be Skulletor?

I always assumed from his character design (with the big black void around his 'face') that his outfit was hollow. He's a skeleton-man wearing a muscle-suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Going by the CG series at least his hands are also just bones. Also I believe the Keldor origin has technically been around since the original series though there it was only heavily implied by a comic story and not mentioned in the show itself

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 12, 2024

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Skeletor is Skeletor because he identifies as skeleton, not just skull, and he believes in skeletonism not just skullism. Proof: in Revolution Hordak and Motherboard want to borg people with technology, but he one two-ups them by making his goons part tech, part magic, and part skeleton in his own image. When he goes to work on that first guy in line, he doesn't just give him the skull treatment, but the bone extremities too.

QED

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder if the decision to make skeletor beefy has anything to do with the difficulty of casting a skeleton figure in plastic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wonder if the decision to make skeletor beefy has anything to do with the difficulty of casting a skeleton figure in plastic.

They had one mold, darn it, and they were going to use it. Not unlike how they decided "stick a saddle on that tiger" because they had a tiger mold.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

They had one mold, darn it, and they were going to use it. Not unlike how they decided "stick a saddle on that tiger" because they had a tiger mold.

The documentary The Power of Grayskull goes into this a lot. It's kind of hilarious how cheap MotU is/was behind the scenes from the toys to the media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, seems like the second live action MOTU movie might still be alive

https://foreternia.com/2024/02/bumblebee-director-travis-knight-eyed-to-direct-new-masters-of-the-universe-live-action-film

https://foreternia.com/2024/02/new-masters-of-the-universelive-action-movie-starts-with-a-9-year-old-prince-adam