Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Problem description: I built a new computer (I think the thread about the old computer dying is around 6 threads below this). Video comes up and looks fine, but all USB devices are disabled once windows comes up, they work fine in BIOS. In the BIOS it looks like all hardware is functioning correctly. I tried to do a repair or install with my Windows 7 disc, but it has the same issue where once the initial Windows setup comes up USB stops working so I have no way to get through anything. Basically, after windows starts loading all devices become disabled.

Attempted fixes: Tried using the motherboard drivers CD, but I have no way of interacting with it. I tried to boot from it but it just opened some dos page. Tried switching USB devices to both case USB and USB 2.0 but nothing seemed to work. I tried to do a clean install or repair with the Windows 7 CD but get stuck because I cannot interact with it.

Recent changes: All hardware is new except the case, SSD, HDD, and DVD drive.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

System specs:
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Power: EVGA - SuperNOVA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Video: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB WINDFORCE
Parts carried over from previous computer:
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb
HDD: Western Digital 3TB 7200rpm drive
Optical Drive: Some Asus DVD burner
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX mid tower case

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

This is the first computer I have built myself, so I am not 100% confident it is not a hardware issue, but so far it looks like everything works when I am in BIOS. Most online fixes say to plug stuff into USB 2.0 to fix this, but assuming I read the schematic of the motherboard correctly, that did not help here. I figured reinstalling Windows would be a good fallback if I could not get it working, but I cannot even do that. I guess I can order a cheap PS/2 mouse from Amazon and see if I can get things moving with that?

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I would try installing W10 on there.

I'm not sure if newer motherboards even support all those old OSs.

You might be able to download this and use your W7 key:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Would that work? The problem is outside of the bios I have 0 interface with the computer, if I cannot even click Windows 7 to start installing, would Windows 10 have the same issue?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pain of Mind posted:

Would that work? The problem is outside of the bios I have 0 interface with the computer, if I cannot even click Windows 7 to start installing, would Windows 10 have the same issue?

I'm not 100% sure if W7 is the issue with the USB issue but it's the first guess.

You could try a USB to PS/2 adapter so you could try mouse/keyboard and W7 but I wouldn't recommend it as being step 1 because I would never recommend someone installing W7 on a new build in 2018. W7 is very outdated as it was released nearly ten years ago.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Yea, I plan on upgrading to windows 10 once everything is up and running. I ordered a $7 PS/2 mouse so hopefully that is enough to get things going.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
PS/2 arrived and I was able to get drivers to get everything running. Had a few intermittent blue screens at first (something about memory controller), but have not seen any lately after updating video drivers and bios. Thanks for the assistance Zogo (and people who helped in other threads), will take other minor questions to the general discussion thread.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 26, 2018

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I am back. I have been getting MEMORY MANAGEMENT (or other memory related error messages such as trying to write on read only memory, with less frequency) blue screens intermittently, typically more frequently soon after startup. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 (kept all files) and it seemed to clean up the drivers from old hardware as well as update drivers for the new hardware, but the problem still persists. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and it found no issues, I also ran sfc /scannow in the command prompt to try and fix windows files and it seemed like everything was ok there as well. Any next steps to try and diagnosis this? Seems like it is a fairly non-specific BSOD.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pain of Mind posted:

I am back. I have been getting MEMORY MANAGEMENT (or other memory related error messages such as trying to write on read only memory, with less frequency) blue screens intermittently, typically more frequently soon after startup. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 (kept all files) and it seemed to clean up the drivers from old hardware as well as update drivers for the new hardware, but the problem still persists. I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and it found no issues, I also ran sfc /scannow in the command prompt to try and fix windows files and it seemed like everything was ok there as well. Any next steps to try and diagnosis this? Seems like it is a fairly non-specific BSOD.

Run Memtest overnight at some point and see if it finds any errors: http://memtest.org/

Run CDI and see what it says about the HD:
https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/70295/CrystalDiskInfo8_0_0.exe/

If both of those show nothing then try one stick of RAM temporarily.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Zogo posted:

Run Memtest overnight at some point and see if it finds any errors: http://memtest.org/

Run CDI and see what it says about the HD:
https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/70295/CrystalDiskInfo8_0_0.exe/

If both of those show nothing then try one stick of RAM temporarily.

Ok, I will try the. It also occasionally gives page fault in a nonpaged area or something like that error as well, which also comes back as a somewhat unspecific error.

I had an older version of the crystaldisk info (7.0.2 if that matters). It says all the HDs are good, with the SSD at 100%, but I don't know if there is anything else I should be looking at. I will try and run the RAM test tonight or this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Memtest came back fine. I got a minidump debugger, but for some reason it has not been saving the minidumps recently, it only had a recent one that was IRQL not less or equal traced to some kernal thing or whatever. It has not crashed lately since I changed settings to have it save minidumps, so will see if those show anything useful.

So far for the System Service Exception and IRQL error they have both traced to this file:

On Sun 12/9/2018 1:25:39 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\120918-7640-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1B1040)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80766A822D3, 0xFFFFF50D68D47DD0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

I have not seen other errors in the last few days.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 9, 2018

• Locked thread