Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Castling is meant to resemble the king fortifying himself within a building. In certain countries, the king may perform a similar manoeuver with the bishops, to resemble hiding within the church. Star Wars branded chess sets let you do this with the knight, too, but only if your king is represented by Luke Skywalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nosfereefer posted:

the rather common petit-borgoise activity known in england as "chess", provides a rather illuminating case study into the structure of capitalist social economy.

for instance, take the very lay-out of the board. it is divided into a neat, symmetrical space, in which the various "pieces" (or should i say, social classes?) are permitted to move. in this socio-economical space, there is a theoretical ability for each piece to be placed.

this, in practice, is not the case. the working classes (as in all-too-familiar borgoise parlour are referred to as 'pawns') are only able to move in a more-or-less set pattern defined from their starting position. the small adjustments they have at their disposal are completely circumstantial. the overarching narrative they are fed, is that one day they will join the highest echelons themselves, but the sad reality lies only in a quick head start and/or a military career.

but to move on, we also have the more well-off denizens of this 'board'. take the clergyman, a rather diminished, but still socially powerful role in our industrialized society. what freedom do they possess with all their financial and social capital? more, of course, than the lowly pawn, but - still - he is chained to the same basic rules of movement. for you see, while the pawn has his own dregdeful pre-determined path, the clergyman as well is stuck in - what on the surface appears to be very different, but in a fundamental way the same - a set trajectory.

the 'towers', or the shopkeepers, the sought-after goldsmiths and clockmakers, and so on, are in this same functionally similar to the clergymen. they lack the socio-financial capital of their class-superiors in the true capitalist class, while still maintaining pretensions of their cultural values. this is what separates them from their petit-borgoise cousins in the clergy, as they strive to achieve success within a class-value-system they by definition are not part of. thus they move in a similar way as the pawns, only much quicker

and then we of course have the nouveau riche capitalists, part of the borgoise by financial capital, excluded by cultural. they resent both their former colleges, as well as those whom they aspire to be peers. this fundamental conflict makes them erratic, prone to go back and forth in their class allegiances.

but at the the very top of this 'game' we find the true core of the socio-economical-political pyramid; the functional aristocracy of wealth and power. tellingly the "king and queen" of this charade, the dualistic representation of hegemony of the capitalist society, are a paradoxical justification of it's own rule. you see, while the capitalist system represents itself as an unopposable "sol-invictus"-like persona of the 'queen', it still relies on the belief of it's in inherent fragility and, most importantly, irreplacability.

This post is better than my post and I feel guilty for putting it at the bottom of last page.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
Studying under the masters I learned the Scorched Earth strategem. Once your king is in check you call your opponent confederate scum and flip the table

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Pomp posted:

Studying under the masters I learned the Scorched Earth strategem. Once your king is in check you call your opponent confederate scum and flip the table

uh, just set the board on fire. pawns can't move through fire

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

alnilam

Nosfereefer posted:

the rather common petit-borgoise activity known in england as "chess", provides a rather illuminating case study into the structure of capitalist social economy.

for instance, take the very lay-out of the board. it is divided into a neat, symmetrical space, in which the various "pieces" (or should i say, social classes?) are permitted to move. in this socio-economical space, there is a theoretical ability for each piece to be placed.

this, in practice, is not the case. the working classes (as in all-too-familiar borgoise parlour are referred to as 'pawns') are only able to move in a more-or-less set pattern defined from their starting position. the small adjustments they have at their disposal are completely circumstantial. the overarching narrative they are fed, is that one day they will join the highest echelons themselves, but the sad reality lies only in a quick head start and/or a military career.

but to move on, we also have the more well-off denizens of this 'board'. take the clergyman, a rather diminished, but still socially powerful role in our industrialized society. what freedom do they possess with all their financial and social capital? more, of course, than the lowly pawn, but - still - he is chained to the same basic rules of movement. for you see, while the pawn has his own dregdeful pre-determined path, the clergyman as well is stuck in - what on the surface appears to be very different, but in a fundamental way the same - a set trajectory.

the 'towers', or the shopkeepers, the sought-after goldsmiths and clockmakers, and so on, are in this same functionally similar to the clergymen. they lack the socio-financial capital of their class-superiors in the true capitalist class, while still maintaining pretensions of their cultural values. this is what separates them from their petit-borgoise cousins in the clergy, as they strive to achieve success within a class-value-system they by definition are not part of. thus they move in a similar way as the pawns, only much quicker

and then we of course have the nouveau riche capitalists, part of the borgoise by financial capital, excluded by cultural. they resent both their former colleges, as well as those whom they aspire to be peers. this fundamental conflict makes them erratic, prone to go back and forth in their class allegiances.

but at the the very top of this 'game' we find the true core of the socio-economical-political pyramid; the functional aristocracy of wealth and power. tellingly the "king and queen" of this charade, the dualistic representation of hegemony of the capitalist society, are a paradoxical justification of it's own rule. you see, while the capitalist system represents itself as an unopposable "sol-invictus"-like persona of the 'queen', it still relies on the belief of it's in inherent fragility and, most importantly, irreplacability.

cool but your king is still in check

BoldFrankensteinMir

Doolittle's gambit- ask the horsies what they would do, then nod and "mm-hmm" for an hour as they whisper secrets in your ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Doolittle's gambit- ask the horsies what they would do, then nod and "mm-hmm" for an hour as they whisper secrets in your ears.

horse secrets:

"im nervous"

"there was a scary hegde"

"i'm about to poop"

e: dont get me wrong horses are alright, i just htink theyre overrated

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread