Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've got a Netgear AC1750 (R6400-100NAS) router that is doing some weird crap when it comes to wireless. Lately, I've noticed that my wireless connection speeds seemed to be really slow (wired is fine,) so I ran a speed test and was getting under 5mb on a 125mb wired connection. I rebooted the router and unplugged it, and it came back at over 100mb for a wireless connection.

Later on, I noticed a slowdown again, so I checked it - under 5mb. Reboot again. Back to working.

Rinse and repeat.

So then I thought that maybe a firmware update would resolve the issue - it seemed to work, but after a couple of minutes, it dropped to under 5mb again.

I've also changed the channels from "Automatic" to 1, 6, and 11 to no effect. Same with toggling QOS off and on (QOS off was actually slower.)

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue with their router? I will say that I had two Netgear gigabit switches go bad some time ago, and they also caused traffic to come to a near standstill.

Factory reset is my next option, but I'm wondering if it is just Netgear being garbage?

EDIT: This occurs on both 2.4 and 5 GHZ ranges.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
The latest AC1750 firmware is bugged -

I updated mine (AC1900) in late Oct and my connection issues started immediately with dropped wifi. Roll it back to the previous version... Im now back to using Firmware Version V1.0.9.34_10.2.36 and all is well again.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 30, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ok - I'm currently on V1.0.1.42_1.0.28. The previous firmware had the same problem though (admittedly it was a few versions behind.)

I just did a factory reset though, and I'm able to get to top speed more consistently now, but we will see how long that lasts.

If I wasn't on V1.0.9.34_10.2.36 previously, how would I roll back from the latest version?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ok - I'm currently on V1.0.1.42_1.0.28. The previous firmware had the same problem though (admittedly it was a few versions behind.)

I just did a factory reset though, and I'm able to get to top speed more consistently now, but we will see how long that lasts.

If I wasn't on V1.0.9.34_10.2.36 previously, how would I roll back from the latest version?

Download the firmware from Netgear and login to the router and update it by locating the file on your desktop, its not hard.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ok - I wasn't sure if there was a way to do it from within the control panel or if it just had to be flashed in the usual way. Thanks

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

I have the same router, and I demand that you throw something other than the Netgear firmware on it if you're still dealing with fucky wifi

https://advancedtomato.com/downloads/router/r6400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

I have the same router, and I demand that you throw something other than the Netgear firmware on it if you're still dealing with fucky wifi

https://advancedtomato.com/downloads/router/r6400

I meant to update this - I did everything except throw new firmware on, so I got fed up and bought a new router. When I plugged it in and set it up, I got the same freaking issue. To add to that, I put the original router back, and a couple of days later, I'm getting reasonable speeds consistently again.

Honestly, I'm at a loss.

• Locked thread