Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vicodiva posted:

I saw a ship with a manually operated paddlewheel???? Please correct me if this was actually a thing in Europe pre 15th century. I know that the technology was definitely in China before then, but there is no documentation that I could find for the technology being used by the Rus or Viking.
Yidu brought Chinese technology to Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
There was a lot of arrow sound effects but not a lot of arrows visually flying towards targets.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Well I guess they're really fulfilling that wish of competing with Game of Thrones.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So since the next AssCreed is going to be vikings and I always was interested in watching the show I finally started it a few weeks ago. Being in quarantine and being a jobless hobo I binged through it to the end of the first half of season 5.

Ho boy. I'll post what I wrote in a discord:

I'm almost done with the first half of season 5 and while I like it I don't think it's as good as the first four seasons. There's a whole lot more politicking and all that stuff but it's missing that core of genuine human connection that the previous four seasons had with Ragnar and the relationships he had with the different characters. This season lacks humanity. There are alliances but no relationship feels as genuine or complex as Ragnar's with Athelstan or Ecbert or Lagertha. That kind of stuff was replaced with politics and I think the show's weaker for it.

I read up on some of the thread and I agree that Ubbe and, also, Ivar should have taken the center stage after Ragnar. He and Ivar's actors are so goddamn good at nailing those little quirks Ragnar's actor did with his acting that it's almost eerie. They're both extremely good in their roles and either could have carried the show forward. Bjorn... not so much. He has physical presence but he has no charm. But actor choices aside, there's no real center to the show anymore. What made those Ragnar episodes work for me was how it focused on the man himself and his relationships around him. It wasn't the politics of viking society or the raids or the religion. It was the person at the center of it all and us seeing all that was just a byproduct of being along for the journey. Instead of all that it's focusing on not very interesting politics, intrigue and, uh planning.

I'm still liking the show but there's a massive Ragnar-sized hole in it that isn't being remotely filled. I'm just not getting any feels anymore. His and Ecbert's last conversation was so goddamn great that it even stirred my cold dead heart. And him with his "conversation" with The Seer was extremely gratifying.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 16, 2020

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've said this here before, but I'll always miss the Ragnar-Athelstan-Ecbert part of this show. I still like it, but it's all just a very different thing now.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Final season premieres on Amazon Prime on December 30th. Trailer just dropped. There are some pretty big spoilers in it so don't watch it if you're looking to go in blind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auzs95InJzo

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

threeagainstfour posted:

Final season premieres on Amazon Prime on December 30th. Trailer just dropped. There are some pretty big spoilers in it so don't watch it if you're looking to go in blind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auzs95InJzo

Its not on History anymore?

Also need this because Lagertha's new show on ABC is complete butt.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

https://twitter.com/HBOnordic/status/1334458150251065346

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Also need this because Lagertha's new show on ABC is complete butt.

It's coming to Amazon first and then premiering on History Channel after a few months on Amazon. I believe they are dropping all 10 episodes at once as well.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So season 5 was ok. Heahmund was alright, Halfdan seemed like a cool dude, at at least he kind of died happy. The scene where gunnhild gets bjorn and harald to stop fighting so they shrug it off and move on was really funny.

Overall season 5 took a dip and I don't know wtf all the floki stuff was there for. Better to let him sail off and we can all pretend he found happiness with the gods. Did it get more explicit with people wounded on the battlefield?

The opening half hour of season 6 hasn't done much for me.

Edit: oh no don't bring harald back as a villain. Come oooooon. And what is this ivar flying stuff

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 26, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I know a lot of people don't like Oleg but I appreciate his role in the narrative. I mean, I wondered how they would try to redeem Ivar after last season because they said they were. "Pair him with someone even more psychotic" to the point where Ivar is going "Can you believe this nut?" is not what I saw coming.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

lagertha got done dirty. season 6 is all over the place way worse than season 5.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hey this is back by the way

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah probably going to be my post new years binge with cobra kai

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

You might not want to be sober while watching this.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why is that?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm watching it and the problem I have with it is that it has 3 concurrent storylines and they jump between them so rapidly that the drama doesn't have time to breath. You don't spend enough time with any which one to get wholly invested in what's going on - it's complete whiplash. If the sequel series is still a thing I hope they keep it simple like the first four seasons of this show. Focus on that core character and their relationship with the people around them and let that drive the show, not the politics.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Babe Magnet posted:

hey this is back by the way

good lord how did they make another season

this poo poo has gone past dexter levels of dumb

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oleg's accent continues to be completely bewildering.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Alhazred posted:

Oleg's accent continues to be completely bewildering.

That has always been a charming part of the show. 90% of the cast have their own awful take on the Viking (and now Rus) 'accent'.

As far as the show goes, I mentally checked out after Ragnar died. The show lost its charm and it is mostly out of some sunk cost fallacy that I am just watching it while doing menial tasks. Fimmel/Winnick/Blagden along with Rollo/Floki were the real core of the show, and the next generation just has no charm. Between Viking politicking and fairly silly battles, it just is hard to feel engaged with anything on anything but a superficial level.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

unlawfulsoup posted:

That has always been a charming part of the show. 90% of the cast have their own awful take on the Viking (and now Rus) 'accent'.

As far as the show goes, I mentally checked out after Ragnar died. The show lost its charm and it is mostly out of some sunk cost fallacy that I am just watching it while doing menial tasks. Fimmel/Winnick/Blagden along with Rollo/Floki were the real core of the show, and the next generation just has no charm. Between Viking politicking and fairly silly battles, it just is hard to feel engaged with anything on anything but a superficial level.

Once the battles changed from involving shield walls and tactics and turned into wild, every man for themselves melees, I stopped watching. One of the things that first hooked me on the show was seeing groups of 10-15 people forming into shield walls and working together in combat. But the last episode I watched was one of the season finales with a massive viking on viking battle, and there wasn't any attempt to tactics, just dudes hacking each other apart en mass.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm only four episodes into the last season, but Ubbe has suddenly become compelling, and Ivar's redemption arc is better than it should be considering the last thousand episodes focusing on him.

Anyways still all poo poo compared to the Ragnar seasons, especially with Lagertha and Bjorn out.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed this final season, it was definitely miles better than the last 2-3

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I really didn’t enjoy seasons 5&6 aside from maybe 1 or 2 episodes and the last bits of Ubba’s story. Ragnar’s death really was the end for me.

Moved onto The Last Kingdom, which is a legit great show.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

JazzFlight posted:

I really didn’t enjoy seasons 5&6 aside from maybe 1 or 2 episodes and the last bits of Ubba’s story. Ragnar’s death really was the end for me.

Moved onto The Last Kingdom, which is a legit great show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl3Lfap3z5M

The Last Kingdom is a lot of fun compared to the later seasons of Vikings. Plus, it has Shield Walls.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ninurta posted:

The Last Kingdom is a lot of fun compared to the later seasons of Vikings. Plus, it has Shield Walls.
I like the accents in Last Kingdom a lot better than Vikings as well.
Uhtred's is a ton of fun.
"....hhnnnDestiny is ahhhhll.... (smash cut to incredible credits theme)"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Ninurta posted:

It used to have shield walls. Now they do the mass 1v1 bullcrap.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
edit: The whole show is on amazon, but if you haven't finished it and are for some don't want to be spoiled, than flee this post faster than Vikings off of Greenland.

Honestly, I am so loving glad this awful show is over. So VERY little redeeming moments and god some of the dumbest frustrating to watch writing. I don't even know where to start or really care to go too deep, I think I periodically vent on here each season I subject myself too. So here is is my final, final Vikings season rant.

Lets lead off with Ivar, who is one of the most comically written arcs on this show (spoiler there ends up being none) the almost never ending font of lovely writing on this show for the last three seasons or so. I am sorry Ivar fans, just calling it how I see it. I don't even know where to start on the shows pet psychopath and how dumb and implausibly written his story is. He rules Kattegat like a despot and is basically chased out after a reign of terror. So he lands in Rus land where he not only spared but is basically made the loving chief advisor and potential viceroy or something. It is loving clear as day he is manipulating things but our brilliant other psychopath leader is like 'naw totally cool dog' and so unsurprisingly our poorly written shitbag comes out on top. Not after now being the Viking face of Rus D-Day. I am giving Rus D-Day a pass because the loving Rus higgins boats were so hilarious that it was great. If we are going to embrace the absurd storytelling at least make it amusing.

Then we have the poo poo sundae which literally made me laugh the most this season. He decides to go back, and not only is not loving murdered. BUT, after a good speech people are loving cheering his name on. I mean who the hell looks at the script and thinks 'this parses, this makes total sense'. Led Kattegtat as a despot, was instrumental in the bloody foreign invasion, and makes one dumb speech and everyone is now cheering him on as if he were king. Of course the current sovereign, (the only marginally interesting character left, who coincidentally is from the original cast) more or less is cool with this. Even though he knows, and our loving hero plans to backstab him the first chance he gets. The whole England expeditions is especially hilarious because Alfred not only comes across as a total moron (when he is basically built up for SEASONS as being raised for this whole stupid purpose). Then, apparently the Vikings are not only loving ninjas but apparently are also the best fastest working engineers to build networks of silly implausible traps. Traps that the people who live in the loving country blindly walk into because we have to show how brilliant our darling psychopath Ivar is. Naturally this rear end in a top hat sits above watching all of it like a coward, while the King actually fights. Just more of par for the course so Ivar the terribly written can take the reigns again magically. Oi vey. All of this culiminates in Ivar standing their like a plank and embracing a prison shivving. Then we pause the battle because we need to respect Ivar for some reason, and the Vikings just lose; derp. The joke is you could have salvaged a lot of this by having just made Alfred basically falling for the trap so he could lure the Vikings into his own. I skipped wasting too much time tackling the whole Leif Ericcson plot because it really is not particularly interesting or really that awful, it just meanders along pretty predictably. Eh.

Honestly, the Walking Dead gets a lot of poo poo for bad writing, but the Vikings really has tried to give them a run for their money. I was watching this with some friends and we basically celebrated the end of this miserable journey more than we did watching it. Like being subjected to the TV version of a blood eagle. There is so much more stupid poo poo I could go on about like Viking loving elections, but I figure if you read this much you got the general gist. I mean what fascinates me the most is that I get the feeling whoever writes this must think they are writing poo poo that is really deep and brilliant; they certainly love their agonizingly long shots of silly ceremonies, and dumb long winded self important speeches. The reality is that it has transformed more and more into basically cosplay Vikings, with about as much historical accuracy as that would entail, and topped off with some of the most plodding writing excesses of any show I have watched. I am pretty convinced that Hirst basically lucked into an excellent initial cast and sort of following the Sagas as a framework managed to make an engaging show until he lost Ragnar and it just went too far off the rails. It always had rough edges, but it was carried by Fimmel, Winnick, etc. Once that original cast was phased out, we got the B-team and some of the goofiest self indulgent writing on TV.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 2, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Well yeah.

But then Knightfall got canceled for embracing that poo poo by having a pun for the show name and then bringing in Mark Hamill in full camp.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I bought seasons 1-4 of Vikings on Blu Ray because I loved them and I doubt I'll ever buy any of the seasons after that. In my mind this show died with Ragnar.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Seasons 1-4 of Vikings were pretty good with a couple of great episodes. I liken it to Sons of Anarchy with the same downfall after a certain point where it just becomes dumb.

What I like about watching Vikings and then going to The Last Kingdom is that I got to see Alfred's journey from baby to full-grown man. They even mention in TLK about when Alfred made the journey to Rome as a child and I was like, "hey, I totally saw that happen!"

Also, I'm not sure if I'm alone in this because on the Vikings reddit everyone seems a bit defensive and bloodthirsty, but am I the only one who thinks the Vikings are loving horrible people? Both shows make sure that we see the brutal attacks they make on innocent farming villages where they ride up and just slaughter/torture/rape everyone. I kinda hate when they show us those horrors and then expect us to sympathize with the characters afterwards. Sometimes a main character would die a season later and I was like, "Uh, okay, but he tortured and killed a bunch of innocent people so gently caress him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The show definitely went downhill after Ragnar died, though I still found some enjoyment in it.

I found myself wishing they’d kill off Harald well before they did, mainly because he’s written as a loving overemotional gullible moron whose survival is based mostly on luck; but also knowing that he was a real dude and it probably wasn’t gonna happen when Oleg captured him.

I didn’t give a gently caress about Ingrid and whoever that nameless slave was (I guess Nissa) who double crossed the other slave for apparently no reason other than to get to be co-queen with Ingrid for also no reason. I lost interest in Leif Ericsson’s storyline pretty much around the time Bjorn died and he was revealed to be kind of a dick (I know next to nothing about the real one if he was indeed a real historical person). He seemed honorable enough from what I remember, until Bjorn died and then he’s playing double agent. I really only cared about Ubbe and Torvi, though I was beginning to lose interest before the whole massacre over the beached whale. I almost started to fast forward through the seemingly endless drifting boat scenes—seriously, right when I was starting to think about it, they find Canada, which I thought Erik the Red was supposed to do way later. Ivar’s story arc became stupid earlier in the season and the compassion they wrote into his character was inexplicable after turning him into such a monster over the last few seasons. It was also quite stupid how Oleg’s wife was basically Ivar’s dead wife’s doppelgänger. And about Oleg—why couldn’t he just have had, well, his normal Russian accent? Don’t get me started on Kjetll One Vodka, no idea where they were trying to go with his character and I figure they realized this and concocted this whole idea of him going mad and keeping the whale for himself.

So mainly I was only interested in Hvitserk’s and Ubbe’s storylines, because I like Hvitserk’s actor and Ubbe was so awesome with the idiosyncrasies of Ragnar that I could almost believe he is Fimmel’s son in real life. For Hvitserk the only thing I didn’t care for was the end of his arc, where he “becomes a Christian” because it feels like they had him take the place of a real Danish invader around that time who did this very thing and ended up ruling well in the territory they just handed to him (Guthrum).

I saw no reason for Floki to still be around and just have coincidentally washed up in the same exact spot as Ubbe does later.

Ivar just going back to England seemed contrived and hasty since we knew they weren’t gonna change history to have GHA #2 actually beat Wessex.

As much as I hated Harald I did really like his death, dude went out like a boss.

Well anyway that’s my long, late stream-of-consciousness rant on the end of the series. While it was enjoyable in its own way, it ultimately failed to satisfy. I’ll be looking forward to the next season of The Last Kingdom (if there is one :ohdear: because I’ve gotten past the Channing Tatum lookalike’s portrayal of Uhtred and have read the books, and I feel like Bernard Cornwell put more thought and research into his novels such that they translate fairly well to a television format. In contrast it felt like Vikings just flew by the seat of its pants in terms of basically everything after Ragnar’s death. Vikings is dead, long live TLK.