Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
First, a nice video on SNL’s Chapman crane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0BF98r1GXE

A great writeup on the crane, including many great photos, and a layout diagram of the 8H and 8G. A few of those photos:

The current crane was installed in 2012, after the original was retired after over 30 years of use at NBC (and ABC, too!)

Remember last month, when I posted all the upcoming reruns and Vintage broadcasts, and the repeat for the 12th was TBA?

pwn posted:

Schedule for the next month:

Vintage:
2018.12.22: Jimmy Fallon / Michael Bublé (OAD: 2011.12.17, S37E10)
2018.12.29: Jeff Bridges / Eminem and Lil Wayne (OAD: 2010.12.18, S36E10)
2019.01.05: Andy Samberg / St. Vincent (OAD: 2014.05.17, S39E21)
2019.01.12: Will Ferrell / Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson (OAD: 2018.01.27, S43E12)

Regular:
2018.12.22: Seth Meyers / Paul Simon
2018.12.29: Jonah Hill / Maggie Rogers
2019.01.05: Liev Schreiber / Lil Wayne (ed: why is this and the Vintage not synced up??)
2019.01.12: TBA Rerun

What’s weird is that the 12th is marked as a repeat. Usually, the show returns on the second Saturday of January. NBC’s schedule explicitly marks the 12th as a rerun, and the 19th and 26th as Originals.

Well, last Saturday’s show announced... nothing. There was no Next Week tease. But now NBC has finally posted that it will be:

2019.01.12: Steve Carell / Ella Mai

I only mention it because, back in November, the announcement of this episode’s lineup was also conspicuously late. Weird that they waited until the last minute once again.

And this Saturday’s previously-announced Vintage has been canceled; instead, there will be a repeat of tonight’s The Titan Games and Monday’s America’s Got Talent. Maybe Cheeto Benito’s address on Tuesday preempted something, and the schedule slid on down to Saturday? :shrug:

Finally,

:siren: NEW GUESTS ANNOUNCED :siren:

2019.01.19: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel herself, Rachel Brosnahan, with Led Zeppelin tribute band Greta Van Fleet
2019.01.26: TBA

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just got tickets to a John Mulaney/Pete Davidson stand up show on the 20th. Looks like they’re just doing a few near NYC.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
That sounds both awesome and like Mulaney is doing Davidson a favor. :hai:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just got tickets to a John Mulaney/Pete Davidson stand up show on the 20th. Looks like they’re just doing a few near NYC.

I would go to that show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm guessing Mulaney is still touring Kid Gorgeous? I saw that a few days before it hit Netflix which was the most perfect timing ever.

pwn
May 27, 2004

One from the vaults: Thursday promo for Harvey Keitel with Madonna from 16th January 1993 (promo aired Thursday, the 14th)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkbiTk8gXhQ

It was unexpected to stumble across a tiny bit of Phil :unsmith:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

pwn posted:

2019.01.19: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel herself, Rachel Brosnahan, with Led Zeppelin tribute band Greta Van Fleet

This band makes people so irrationally angry. SNL Slotting Greta Van Fleet Proves The Show's Music Direction is as Tone-Deaf as Ever

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Seriously? I've heard their songs on YouTube and they just seem like fun 70s revival band and it's cool to see kids really into guitar again

E: that article used a whole lot of words to say nothing

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 12, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

I used to be very upset at how much they ape zep. Then, I realized that zep ain’t using it anymore, so who cares.

I still don’t explicitly LIKE them, but ehhh someone may as well have fun cosplaying as robert plant.

Edit: Still nothing compared to Scissor Sisters making Pink Floyd into disco. Thankfully that performance appears to have been wiped from the internet.

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 12, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That sounds both awesome and like Mulaney is doing Davidson a favor. :hai:

Honestly that’s what it feels like, the shows were just announced this week. It feels like it’s a everybody gets a benefit situation; Davidson does some sets with Mulaney and gets some experience working with a real talented comedian, Mulaney does a few shows that have Davidson’s cache among people that wouldn’t normally go to a comedy show, and Lorne benefits because all the shows are on Sunday so Davidson gets to keep busy on SNL’s off day with someone around to watch out for him.

The 7pm here sold out in about 10 hours so they opened a 10pm and I got into that one.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They messed up hardcore by not coming back this week. Shutdown, the Trump address and then response by Pelosi and Schumer, that’s cold open gold.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

They messed up hardcore by not coming back this week. Shutdown, the Trump address and then response by Pelosi and Schumer, that’s cold open gold.
Maybe they’ll luck out and Trump will say something stupid next week.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

I might not fast forward through their songs. Cool.

I mean, they're definitely not GWAR, but who is?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Pearl clutching about a band stealing Led Zeppelin’s sound? God, internet bloggers are adorable.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Pearl clutching about a band stealing Led Zeppelin’s sound? God, internet bloggers are adorable.

True. But to be totally fair, while a lot of bands out there do sound like they're influenced by Zep, and some even channel that whole vibe for a song or two, Greta Van Fleet is the only band whose songs I've heard on the radio and seriously thought, "Hey, did they find more unreleased Zeppelin demos or somethin'? How have I not heard this Zeppelin song before?"

That's not an exaggeration. I have seriously confused them with Zeppelin. It's beyond uncanny, and it can't be accidental.

That said, I enjoy what I've heard from them. They're OK in my book.

pwn
May 27, 2004

And also, have you seen them? Zep's sound ain't the only thing they've stolen. They're basically doing a cosplay/tribute act. Or like this kid got a band together and it got out of hand.

Again, it doesn't actually matter. A friend summed it up well enough: "I appreciate that they are in the style of my favorite bands. But then I'll just listen to those records instead of Greta. At least they can actually play instruments, and there is no denying dude can sing. I give them a solid meh."

Interesting promo during tonight's rerun. This aired immediately following Weekend Update, but prior to the official commercial break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukqyy_S9woA

Very odd of SNL to do that - it wasn't part of the commercial block, so it came off the show's runtime; also, there's never a promo in that spot. A nod towards the notion that they really should've returned to air this week, as they normally would have?

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 13, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tarlibone posted:

True. But to be totally fair, while a lot of bands out there do sound like they're influenced by Zep, and some even channel that whole vibe for a song or two, Greta Van Fleet is the only band whose songs I've heard on the radio and seriously thought, "Hey, did they find more unreleased Zeppelin demos or somethin'? How have I not heard this Zeppelin song before?"

That's not an exaggeration. I have seriously confused them with Zeppelin. It's beyond uncanny, and it can't be accidental.

That said, I enjoy what I've heard from them. They're OK in my book.

I’m sure, but I mean most of Zepp’s stuff is stolen in the first place from the likes of Muddy Waters.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I’m sure, but I mean most of Zepp’s stuff is stolen in the first place from the likes of Muddy Waters.

Yeah, but most people don't know how much Zeppelin, especially their early stuff, was drat near straight-up plagiarized, so it doesn't matter.

Also, it's beside the point. If you get caught cheating in class, "The kid I was copying off of had also copied his work off of someone else's paper!" isn't a viable defense.

And again... whatever. They sound more like Zeppelin than most tribute bands I've heard, and they do it with different songs. I find that oddly impressive. It's easy to say, "Oh, but anyone can just copy someone's sound," but as a musician of 30-ish years, I can tell you: it's not. It just isn't. It might be a lot of things, but easy it ain't.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My stance is, if Robert Plant doesn’t give a gently caress, why should I.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, but most people don't know how much Zeppelin, especially their early stuff, was drat near straight-up plagiarized, so it doesn't matter.

Also, it's beside the point. If you get caught cheating in class, "The kid I was copying off of had also copied his work off of someone else's paper!" isn't a viable defense.

I’m not defending this new band, I’m just saying it’s funny that the article is making it sound like ripping Zeppelin is some terrible crime and SNL is tone deaf for booking the act. I doube the blogger made much noise when The Black Keys played SNL.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Kinda feel a little bad for the SNL writers this week - like, how can you possibly parody this:

https://twitter.com/robertarampton/status/1084947012003471361?s=19

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1084943791545556992

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Look at me! I’m a billionaire who can’t spend more than $300 on a state dinner! Hope you schmucks like cold cheeseburgers!
:circlefap:

pwn
May 27, 2004

I’m the 19th Filet-O-Fish sitting alone atop the other 18 Filet-O-Fishes

Also the sauce cups :eng99:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Look at me! I’m a billionaire who can’t spend more than $300 on a state dinner! Hope you schmucks like cold cheeseburgers!
:circlefap:

Hell, that's assuming he actually paid the bill. And given his history...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The cold open should be about the intern who wore cufflinks and an expensive suit to the Filet-o-Fish State Dinner.

Eltoasto posted:

Hell, that's assuming he actually paid the bill. And given his history...

Yeah, after posting I realized he probably sent a(n unpaid) staffer to the four closest fast food joints and does not plan to reimburse them...

pwn posted:

I’m the 19th Filet-O-Fish sitting alone atop the other 18 Filet-O-Fishes

Also the sauce cups :eng99:

I have done catering work for years and this picture gives me so much anxiety...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They probably had a budget allotted for food and that’s what Sarah Hucks means when she said he personally paid.

That or she just flat out made it up.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually just Trump's standing lunch order.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Doesn't the old weirdo own hotels with restaurants in them?!

DaveWoo posted:

Kinda feel a little bad for the SNL writers this week - like, how can you possibly parody this:

https://twitter.com/robertarampton/status/1084947012003471361?s=19

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1084943791545556992

Plain white candles truly elevate the dining experience. And not many people know this, but It's old technology. Like wheels. And walls.

pwn
May 27, 2004

2019.01.26: James McAvoy with Meek Mill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

New thread is the right place to be for making posts ab out SNL show