Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
So I've just completed my annual tradition.

1. Download and install Silent Hunter III from Steam
2. Download and install the Grey Wolves mod
3. Fire it up
4. Play it for 3 hours, making numerous saves
5. Shut it down and get back to regular life stuff
6. Boot it up a day or so later and none of my saves work (CTD) :argh:
7. Scour various forums looking for a fix :ninja:
8. Attempt a dozen or so fixes (all to no avail since it was a problem that even the Vanilla version had) :bang:
9. Uninstall it out of frustration. :fuckoff:

I'm looking for a similar game that will give me a dynamic campaign of the Atlantic War, lots of random ships, convoys, lots of populated ports, and most importantly, a realistic version of WWII submarine warfare. I was really drawn to the Grey Wolves mod because they added a ton of additional content and realism to the game, so that the kinds of ships and warships you encountered in 1939 would look vastly different than the ones you would encounter later in the way. (newer destroyers, battleships, convoys better protected, improved air-cover, different subs and torpedoes available, etc.)

One of my favourite things to do in SHIII was to sneak into Scapa Flow and to try and sink one of the battleships moored there, since it was such a challenge to avoid the screening patrol craft, slink through the anti-submarine nets, and finally get the shot and escape intact. I even once sailed up the St. Lawrence and even crept into New York harbour to see what complacent merchant vessels I could nail.

Any suggestions?

Silent Hunter 4 is primarily a Pacific theater game and I've heard that it was very rushed, very buggy, and suffers from lots of realism issues.
Silent Hunter 5 is apparently the most buggy of the series, and I would like to get some Windows 10 feedback before getting it on steam.

Are there any new WWII (preferably Atlantic) sub games that I am missing? Are there any other (non WWII Atlantic) games that have an impressive overhaul mod that makes them such? Does Silent hunter 5 have any new fan-patches or mods that correct this issue? Has anyone tried the SH5 Wolves of Steel mod? Does it fix the game? Or was the game's bugs just overblown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread