Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar
I've been using temp agencies to find work for the last several years now & I'm getting kind of sick of it. I can't rely on temp jobs in the long term, and usually I can't rely on them in the short term either without having to deal with frequent intermittent unemployment. Out of every eight temp assignments I apply for & interview for & go through the intake process for, only about one of them ever gives me a call back, if that. I also can't deal with the variability of location, hours, duties, wages, etc. that come with temping. I feel like there has to be a better way, like there have to be jobs out there I wouldn't have to go through a temp agency to get that I'm just not considering. At this point I'd consider almost anything, within limits (but like I'd appreciate whatever kind of suggestions people have).

Note: I don't have a car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackleford
Sep 13, 2008
Search job boards, build a solid resume, network (like with Linkedin, and with people you already know), be persistent. I must have applied to at least 30 different companies during a 4-6 week period before landing my most recent job. Most of the companies I was cold calling/emailing even though they did not have any job postings up. In the end I took a job that was through knowing a friend's friend's wife who worked with a contractor occasionally and put in a good word- a lot of it has to do with who you know and a lot of networking, don't give up!

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Avoid mentioning to any potential employer about your lack of car unless the job explicitly requires one (ie; pizza delivery). Most will see that as a red flag that you could potentially be late coming in to work... Before I had a car I always answered this with "Yes, I have reliable transportation" without so much as hinting as to how I would get to work and back. That being said, if you are in a major city, asking about extra perks like bus pass/commute compensation is usually something you can bring up during the compensation discussion.

As for FINDING work - It would help to know what sort of industry you are/were in, city and any schooling/training you may have. I used to temp back in college, but it was for software and different than say being a laborer at a construction site or whatever. I know my neighbor whom was in construction for like 35yrs says the best way to get a construction gig is to get a guild membership and hang out at one of the union halls on standby/will-call until you can prove you're dependable and then you'll get in with "the guys" and be asked to go to lots of jobs, esp if you want to apprentice/learn.

In software, its different, its always spam resumes online, apply to everything even if you barely qualify, fluff your credentials (even fake it if you have to land an entry level gig) and its all about meeting ppl that you can leech information from as to when/where/who is hiring.

These past 6 years, Ive been taking freelance clients off job sites like UpWork, Freelancer and People-per-hour (and even Fiverr). You can check those out to see if you have any skills that can be done online/from home. Most involve coding or some sort of interwebs-work.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 7, 2018

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar
I was hoping that people could, like, suggest types of jobs I haven't considered yet.

I'm not in any particular industry, I was going to school for a cert in web design but then I decided it might not be my thing. I'm open to going back to it, when I decide I'm ready to take it on, just because it seems like so much responsibility & also I've heard the market for web designers/developers is oversaturated right now.

I have a bachelor's degree in English lit, but I haven't done anything related to it. It would be cool to work at a library or something like that, but I don't think mine are looking for anyone. For the last few years I've been focusing on working in mail room/"office services associate" positions through temp agencies, but before that I worked at the post office one December and that's how I got started doing that.

Sometimes I think about things like construction just as abstract possibilities, but not enough to fully decide to do it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Big 4 accounting firms like to hire English majors because a lot of the bullshit of audit is documenting what you did not knowing why you did it. (They have CPAs that know that but are functionally illiterate.)

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar

Elephanthead posted:

Big 4 accounting firms like to hire English majors because a lot of the bullshit of audit is documenting what you did not knowing why you did it. (They have CPAs that know that but are functionally illiterate.)

Really? What do you mean by "big 4"?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
The big 4 accounting firms - Deloitte, PwC, EY and KPMG

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Elephanthead posted:

I'm not sure where you got this - but several/many states require accounting credit hours to obtain a CPA license. Big 4 are not even going to consider a resume for someone who would need to go back to school to meet the requirements to obtain their license. There's definitely a talent squeeze in the profession, but saying Big 4 likes to hire English majors is a bit much.

OP: if you really want to get into public accounting, then 1) check on your CPA license requirements in your state, and 2) try to get a shoe in on one of the regional or local firms in your city/state. Having some kind of basic accounting classes/degree from your local community college would probably help a lot on the resume. Once you get a couple years of experience at that level, your options open up considerably.

Also note that public accounting has serious time commitments and, at least on audit side, lots of travel. Just noting this because in your OP you indicated you don't like variability in hours and location. Public has tons of both. Since you don't have a car, your better bet would be working on tax side as opposed to audit.

Admiral101 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 10, 2018

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So you just wanna know, like, what kinds of jobs exist, in general?

I mean, if you want a combination of widespread demand, high salary, relatively stable, decent working conditions (usually), the usual go-to is programming. Have you already considered this before?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Cicero posted:

I mean, if you want a combination of widespread demand, high salary, relatively stable, decent working conditions (usually), the usual go-to is programming. Have you already considered this before?

I would actually steer against going down the programming route, primarily because it demands an incredibly high analytical reasoning aptitude and computational skill base, among other necessary ingredients for a successful career in the field .

True, there are programming positions out there with the things you've listed (high salary, stability, good working environment, etc.) but they are relatively far and few in-between. Most programming jobs are going to be contract based or contract-to-permanent hire, all of which will go through a grueling amount of interviews; just from my own personal experience they can go as many as five full interviews before they make a decision, and if they get back with you it will be months after you initially applied to said position. Not to be forgotten, you are also going to have to really 'prove your worth' in these interviews; be prepared for them to ask you every programming question under the sun, even for things that you could have no business needing to know for the position you applied for. Programmers who manage to land the high salary positions with stability usually have to 'build' themselves the position in-house so that they're irreplaceable since they have their fingers in a lot of pies, and that's going to take a lot of technical know-how and some dumb luck to pull off.

The thing that most people don't tell newbie programmers is that you're not getting hired to simply program, you're getting hired to problem solve. You can build yourself a snazzy looking portfolio from following online tutorials, computer magazines or class projects, but if you don't know how to put something together from nothing other than vague project directions then you're SOL. Many people can't do this and it takes at least a couple of years of dedication before many are able to 'get' the general workflow of what a company wants.

I feel like if the OP wants to go this route, he should only pursue it if it is a real passion of his, not just to chase theoretical gold in the sky. I got friends who've been doing this for about a decade and are still struggling to land full-time employment cause everything seems to be contract work these days, and will usually get cut short when the company wants to save money and outsource the rest of the project to somewhere else just to save a couple bucks. It's a tough field to be in, and can lead to a whole lot of stress for those who aren't prepped well enough or don't have the mind for the work. Tread lightly here.

Nijinsky Hind
Apr 26, 2008

90% serious avatar

Cicero posted:

Parrotine posted:

I would actually steer against going down the programming route, primarily because it demands an incredibly high analytical reasoning aptitude and computational skill base, among other necessary ingredients for a successful career in the field .

True, there are programming positions out there with the things you've listed (high salary, stability, good working environment, etc.) but they are relatively far and few in-between. Most programming jobs are going to be contract based or contract-to-permanent hire, all of which will go through a grueling amount of interviews; just from my own personal experience they can go as many as five full interviews before they make a decision, and if they get back with you it will be months after you initially applied to said position. Not to be forgotten, you are also going to have to really 'prove your worth' in these interviews; be prepared for them to ask you every programming question under the sun, even for things that you could have no business needing to know for the position you applied for. Programmers who manage to land the high salary positions with stability usually have to 'build' themselves the position in-house so that they're irreplaceable since they have their fingers in a lot of pies, and that's going to take a lot of technical know-how and some dumb luck to pull off.

The thing that most people don't tell newbie programmers is that you're not getting hired to simply program, you're getting hired to problem solve. You can build yourself a snazzy looking portfolio from following online tutorials, computer magazines or class projects, but if you don't know how to put something together from nothing other than vague project directions then you're SOL. Many people can't do this and it takes at least a couple of years of dedication before many are able to 'get' the general workflow of what a company wants.

I feel like if the OP wants to go this route, he should only pursue it if it is a real passion of his, not just to chase theoretical gold in the sky. I got friends who've been doing this for about a decade and are still struggling to land full-time employment cause everything seems to be contract work these days, and will usually get cut short when the company wants to save money and outsource the rest of the project to somewhere else just to save a couple bucks. It's a tough field to be in, and can lead to a whole lot of stress for those who aren't prepped well enough or don't have the mind for the work. Tread lightly here.

I did consider programming for a while (web development really) but eventually lost interest. I know HTML & CSS, JavaScript, and PHP pretty well for someone who spent a year or two using them for school projects, but like, as you know, there's a lot more to programming than just that & it feels like I'd have to spend a lot of time & be self-motivated enough to learn a ton of different things, since the threshhold of entry into the field is pretty high as Parrotine explained. And for the long run it might be worthwhile, but I dunno if I can stay motivated - I know nothing comes to people who don't even try, so I feel kinda bad about saying that, but again, if I can't find full-time employment with it relatively soon it's just going to feel like a blind alley. I'm sure I have the aptitude to learn, given enough time, but I have experienced a little bit of the job-seeking process as a newbie web designer/developer and I know how intense and demanding it is, and that's a big part of why I gave up. Sometimes I still entertain ideas about getting more certs in like, cybersecurity, but to be honest I'm not ready to commit to more education before I can at least land a job to support me in the mean time. That's my first priority, I guess, long-term security is my second

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
If you want to be a programmer and not have any math skills this is the perfect time to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Sell cars op