Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

(most of my pictures will probably have music hidden behind them)

It's Morning
The band wakes up in a trashed hotel room above the Triple Rock pub, where last night(?) you played one amazing show. The after party must have been something else because none of you remember getting here or even smashing the place up. The corpses of beer cans and whiskey bottles lay where they were tossed, many ending up in the massive pile in one corner near the bathroom that's about a fly fart away from creating a landslide.

While you aren't sure that the hell is going on, you are sure that you have a huge feeling of dread.

Wait, what the gently caress is this?
Let me use what creator and forums user Maniac Clown said in his thread about it.

ManiacClown posted:

METAL WORLD (properly written in all caps)— set on a planet known as Ferra— is a tabletop roleplaying setting where the entirety of the heavy metal aesthetic exists together. If Dio sang about it either with Black Sabbath or solo, it fits. Could you imagine seeing it in a Dethklok video? Sure! The artwork of people like Frank Frazetta, Boris Vallejo, and Julie Bell or anything else you might have seen in the core AD&D 2nd Ed. books or early M:tG, where you didn't necessarily know exactly what was happening but it didn't matter too much because it just looked awesome? Oh, Hell, yes. The general tone of the publication (and movie) Heavy Metal? Sure, why not?

Hell is both a continent and an afterlife. You can just physically go there like you would Walmart, but with probably less suffering on your part. You can get a guided tour, which the MegaDevil himself might even give you while offering you the chance to try the microbrews he's taken to making. On the Howling Plains, there's a self-appointed and demon-possessed lawman— the Fire Marshal— who rides a rocket-powered robot horse while dispensing hot justice with his 666-shooters. There are several Atlantises. An undead ship sails the seas, searching for ships to attack so that it can add the dead sailors' body parts to its own structure. The gnomes of Ferra— called ge-nomes— are mad scientists who compulsively focus on new ways to tinker with the genetic structure of life in general. The crown jewel of balls-to-the-wall over-the-topness is Mount Fafnir, better known as the Dracano. It's a volcano that erupts not only lava but dragons. Some of those dragons get trapped in the flow and become part of the mountain, so yes, the Dracano is a volcano made of dragons.

So yeah, it's a new game in the test-ish phase. You can pick it up at Drive Through RPG.

The System
Well... I don't know it. We are going to learn as we go along! YAY!

ManiacClown posted:

Mechanically, I've tried to make METAL WORLD as simple as I could while keeping it a playable system with some definition appropriate to the subject matter. I mean, sure, I could have used something like PDQ, but where's the flavor in that? I wouldn't have been able to have five stats so that I could place each of them at a point of a pentagram on the sheet I'll eventually have. Those stats are Death, Power, Prog, Speed, and Thrash, each named for a subgenre of metal. The system is d12-based because A) going to 11 wasn't quite enough and B) when I started making it a d11 wasn't available. The major points of a character are stats, skills/combat maneuvers, Good Things (advantages), Bad Things (disadvantages), and most importantly overall concept. Much of the finer aspects are explicitly left to the players and Metal Lord to work out, such as "Doug has the skill Eat Anything and Live, which lets him diminish or even avoid the ill effects of any ingested toxin", "Rip-Roar has the Good Thing Born In The Driver's Seat, which allows him to drive any type of vehicle he's at all familiar with", A character's inventory is pretty much defined by what it should reasonably have given its overall concept along with anything it's explicitly acquired. Similarly, whether a character knows how to do something comes down to the same question, with the difference between basic knowledge and a skill being that a skill gives you a bonus whenever it applies.

One unique thing about the setting's narrative-driven mechanics is that it doesn't even care about travel distance or general continuity unless it's important. How long will it take that Raptorian invasion force to arrive? That depends on if you want the band to evacuate as many of the non-combatants as they can or if you want to give them time to make sufficient preparations to drive back. How long will it take for the band to reach the Temple of the King from here? Do you want to focus immediately on what happens there or do you want getting there to be half the fun? Didn't that cliff side get blown up a few sessions ago? As soon as nobody was paying attention it snapped back to the way it was. Nobody notices any of this because it's just how reality is in METAL WORLD. The Gods™ keep it this way to make sure that in a world where rear end is constantly being kicked, it's kicked so there's enough left for the future. Noticeable things only change if it's important to the story or if the PCs have otherwise made a point of it somehow.

As far as character types, there are 11 templates (basically races, but a bit more expansive than that) you can apply to your character besides a standard human. Some of them are stackable with certain others. There are no classes, so you can build whatever kind of character you can work out with the Metal Lord. You can build a cyborg barbarian, a 'shroom-chomping shaman who drives a bitchin' airbrushed van, a robot wizard, a dwarf with chainsaw hands, or a demon hunter graveborn. What's a graveborn? It's a METAL WORLD original— the living(ish) child of two undead!

So yeah, it's like that.

But the world is about metal, you want to do Punk
Yeah, I do. That's because punk can be anything. Bands like Motorhead and the Plasmatics straddled the line between metal and punk. And besides, what exactly is punk?

Most people look at punk like:

And yeah while that is punk so are bands like:

Dropkick Murphys

Gogol Bordello

And The Aquabats

Punk is whatever you make of it.

Ok that's great but what about this game?

In this game the players are all members of a moderately popular punk band. The reason I used the above examples was because it doesn't matter what you look like or what instruments you play, punk is punk. So it's up to you, the player, to figure out the band's dynamic. The game I'm envisioning is going to be a mix of me keeping the cats in the corral and the players figuring out how to accomplish the mission they are going to be stuck with. The best part of METAL WORLD is that poo poo gets rearranged all the time and the world isn't totally finished so I'll be adding my own stuff to it. The game will be PBP because my work schedule is both hectic and long and I have two little kids as well.

How do I make a character?

Character creation is in the manual. Go hog wild, seriously. I've seen the wildest punk bands made up of the weirdest dudes coming together.

Example:

quote:

Name: Thaumatron

Thaumatron is programmed to research defensive magic to find protection from the
various titanic monsters who attack Kaijujin on a regular basis. So far it has learned
almost exclusively personal protection magic, but it is learning that quite well. It also
serves as a field medic.

Stats
Death: 4
Power: 6
Prog: 9
Speed: 7
Thrash: 4

Health: 40

Good Things
Quantum Programming: Thaumatron can use magic
Magic: Defend, Heal

Bad Things
System Crash: If Thaumatron rolls any pathetic failure, it must immediately make a DEATH roll at Difficulty 8 or undergo a full system reboot, which takes four combat rounds to complete. During this time it cannot take any actions or receive any input.

Skills
Healing (organics) [PROG], Magic (defense) [PROG], Research [PROG]

Equipment
Electro-wand, system diagnostic scanner (electronic), system diagnostic scanner
(biological)

Metal Points

If you need to get a hold of me I'm usually hanging out in the #OhGod Discord

Dude you swear a lot
Yup

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Oh hell, I'm definitely in on this. Going to buy the beta and everything

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Oh hell, I'm definitely in on this. Going to buy the beta and everything

I definitely appreciate that!

I'll try to follow this thread in case there are any rules or setting questions. I tried to keep the rules as simple as possible and a lot of actual play should come down to reason, e.g. "Do I have a ______ ? Should I have bought one?". The answer to that would be that if it makes sense for your character concept you have it, like a roadie having a multitool or a guy with a vehicle having a tire iron.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Hell.
Yes.

I don't have time to read it, since I'm too punk, but I'm in.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Oi oi! I'll sneer at the rules and think about throwing something together.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Awesome. Gonna buy it, and see what it takes to make a rad Graveborn axeman.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Jossar posted:

Awesome. Gonna buy it, and see what it takes to make a rad Graveborn axeman.

Killer. I think the graveborn are one of my more interesting (or at least novel) ideas. I'll love seeing how one works in practice.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
A rough writeup. Should be mostly good, absent a backstory.

quote:

Name: Rath Killdare

"Punk's not dead, I'm not dead, but if you interrupt my solo, you'll be dead."

Stats:

Death: 8
Power: 7
Prog: 5
Speed: 4
Thrash: 6

Health: 80 HP

Skills:
Forging (Power)
Scavenging (Thrash)
Combat (Six Feet Sunder): Bonus when Rath is underneath an opponent/has the low ground.
Combat (Harvester of the Living): Bonus when Rath attacks animals or sufficiently-animal-like things.

Good Things:
Vomit Forth the Dead: (projectile vomit; 2 yards; roll opposed Death or suffer -2 to all rolls for three rounds.; 3 rounds)
Graveborn Traits: Undead, but not affected by things that affect Undead. Immunity to nonmagical poisons and diseases, no need to breathe, no direct damage from Necromantic magic.

Bad Things:
You Broke My Axe! - The bad side about making your own equipment is you get sufficiently attached to it. If something of Rath's breaks, he must immediately drop what he is doing to try and fix it where possible. If impossible, he must attempt to try and cobble together the closest possible replacement.
Graveborn Traits: No soul/resurrection impossible, no acceptance of magical healing and atypical regular healing, presumption of being subject to *really* bad prejudice, sterile.

Equipment

Axe (playing, bass), Axe (slaying), Flask (filled with booze), Leather jacket (bone studded), blue jeans (ripped), Hat (Newsboy, oversized)

Metal Points

Jossar fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 9, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Looks good Jossar. Just needs a bit of a backstory to flesh him out. Picture not required but it would help with the visual.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Here's a story for you. Once upon a time, some fucker felt bad about being alone and instead of going out to gently caress a stranger, he built a fuckoff robot with human features and called it his son. Went to robot school and put everything he could into the loving kid, the whole poo poo. Tried to get him to behave but doesn't know what people loving do with other people, so the kid gets loving pissed. Just can't loving understand and takes it out on everything and everybody. Like, what the gently caress did you expect, "Dad"? You can invent some hyper-dimensional Fuckspace for his "textbooks" and "pencils" but you can't even catch a date. Maybe that's on the both of them, who knows.

Anyway, kid fucks off for a couple years after high school. He surfs couches, gets a few jobs, learns how to fix cars, maybe goes at someone with a wrench--maybe. His loving dad wants to take him and shut him down, go back to the drawing board like he hasn't already hosed up the whole loving thing. Kid says no, he's going to wait it out, see if he can't learn how being social in prison might suit him. Then a Guy goes to his holding cell. He says he's looking for someone who needs to hit things once in a while. Guy gives the kid a look, like, "You're gonna loving die if I don't get you on my team." Despite the kid's first instinct, he shakes the Guy's hand.

Guy waits til they're in the car, knocks the kid out, and next thing you know kid's a drummer. Guy took that Fuckspace and filled it full of drums and sticks and microphones, and gave the kid some fucks to give. Taught him how sound works, and how to gently caress around with it. Now the kid can scream as loud as he wants, and people would hear it. The kid can beat drums like a bat outta hell and people take notice. Kid's a legend in the game because of the Guy.

Problem is, Guy wanted the kid to do what he says, and the kid--get this--tells him to gently caress off. Guy knew the attitude bullshit, he thought he had the kid solved. Didn't think the kid could root around and toss out all his fucks. Kid doesn't need a loving cause. Cause is right the gently caress there, in front of him. It's whatever he makes of it. If that ain't punk, who gives a gently caress what it is.

... The kid is me, by the way. True loving story.

quote:

War-N Fuckoffski

A fuckoff robot drummer with thumping bass that won't quit no matter what you tell him.

Death: 6
Power: 7
Prog: 8
Speed: 6
Thrash: 3

Health: 60/60

Skills: Rock (drums), Magic (sonic fuckery), Science (acoustics), Craft (machines), Situational Awareness

Good Thing: Megaphone Man
War-N can use magic relating to sound manipulation and amplification. It comes from his Construct body.
Magic: Attack, Defend

Bad Thing: gently caress You
War-N has been classified as having "trouble with authority." If someone tells him what to do, he flies off the handle and takes -4 to whatever they told him to do, just cause he doesn't like it.
Bad Thing: Machinehead
War-N is a robot barely passing as human; he's super dense, susceptible to sinking in water, has a Vulnerability to electric and electromagnetic effects, and he needs to repair his poo poo instead of healing like normal.

Equipment: drum set (big, complicated), drum sticks (microphones, unpowered), subwoofer (built-in)

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 15, 2018

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Rather Watch Them: I don't think this is in the Rough Cut that's up on DTRPG, but I have added a clarification that if you take the ability to use magic as your good thing you get the skill for free.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Dezig is something of an anomaly in the world, a quiet reliable sort of guy that doesn't want to be up in front of the spotlight too much. Luckily he found himself a good band-family to roll with. It was a match made by the gods. They needed a van, he knew how to drive and was generally sober enough to get them to the next gig. The fact he's a decent enough rhythm guitarist didn't hurt either.

His nickname, 'Dependable' is a reference to this. No matter how crazy the gig, Dezig can always reliably get the band into the center of all the action and then reliably get them out of the action and on to the next stage, wherever that might be.

pre:
Dependable Dezig
Drives the car, plays rhythm guitar

Death:  5
Power:  5
Prog:   5
Speed:  10
Thrash: 5

Health: 50/50

Skills: Combat (Ramp Van Slam), Combat (Driveby Door-Check), Drive (Wheeled Vehicles), Roadie, Rock (Rhythm Guitar) 

Good Thing: One Man Road Crew - Dezig has figured out innumerable short-cuts, jury-rigs and carries a nigh 
infinite supply of duct tape, bobby-pins and chewing gum. He's always ready to set up a stage anywhere, any time. 

Bad Thing: Doesn't Ride Solo - Dezig is a Rhythm player. Doesn't do well away from his band-family and never 
makes a go at the guitar solos. (Penalty when doing things solo of some variety?) 

Equipment:

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 11, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just want to note the Murphys and Gogol both go real fuckin' hard for having a lot of trad instruments in the band. :black101:

poo poo, I think I'm in, lemme stare at the rules a minute and see if I can't give you something crazy.

Edit: On consideration, not going to be able to make it happen, but good luck y'all. This looks fun.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 12, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
All right we've got a bassist, a drummer, Roadie / rhythm oh, all we need is a lead guitarist and a singer or a lead guitarist singer. And actually that's not even required if we get anything else I'll just NPC a singer.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Alright Im going to leave this up for the next few days to see if we get a fourth sub.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I really did think about running this with just two people but I don't think that I can. So I guess I'll shelve this idea for now maybe play it live with a group of friends or something to see if the rules make sense and try again later.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

That's understandable. For future reference, this week I also changed how One-Hit Wonders work. When a OHW takes damage, for every 10 Health it's lost you roll 1d12. If any of them are above the OHW's Death stat, it dies. That simplifies it instead of working on a percentage of Health lost.

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 22, 2018

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That's not bad, I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

See edit for clarification: if ANY OF THEM are above the Death stat, it dies. You don't total them.