Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_alSjWujdU

I haven't seen any discussion of this game, and to be fair, I didn't even know about it until today but as it turns out, it's really pretty drat good and you should give it a try.

It borrows heavily from the Souls games - combat feels very similar, it has an Estus analogue, shrines (bonfires), organic and anonymous co-op kinda like Journey, and a desolate, sad world. It also looks really nice:

For now it's on Xbone and included with Gamepass and the new Epic launcher (and Windows Store but :lol:). There is a Steam store page for the game, but no current release date so it looks like a timed exclusive for Epic on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

We’ll see how Below turns out next week, but right now this game is the surprise of the year for me. Probably the first “Souls-like” that I would say is really high quality.

Feels very tight and well-designed, much like the first Dark Souls, with a novel coop mechanic for the genre. The AI/human partners make the game a lot easier than a Souls game, but you can turn them both off and the NG+ mode is a hard mode so that’s pretty cool.

Super striking art style, too.

Anyway - it’s an absolute steal on Gamepass, and well worth the $40 they’re charging for it otherwise!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For a moment I wondered what an Ashens thread was doing here lol.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
This game seems to be pretty fun, so far. I like that there are areas right off of the bat that you can walk into and be totally unprepared for, rather than a linear progression of your power matching what the story is feeding you. I have no idea how big the game is, but I hope to be surprised!

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
This game is beautiful, wow. Easily the best looking game I've played this year.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

This game seems to be pretty fun, so far. I like that there are areas right off of the bat that you can walk into and be totally unprepared for, rather than a linear progression of your power matching what the story is feeding you. I have no idea how big the game is, but I hope to be surprised!

Most reviews seem to be saying around 12-15 hours, which seems just about right for me personally, but will probably be disappointing to people who want a fully-featured alternative to Souls.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I was figuring around that. Well polished from a small developer usually means not a ton of content, but what's there is finished and good. I hoped for more, but I'm certainly not mad about what I've got for my money.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you're on PC, have you gotten multiplayer to work yet? Apparently it's bugged and they're fixing it, but I don't know if that's universal or not. I've done the first dungeon and explored the first couple of areas, but I don't think I've seen another player yet.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Bardeh posted:

If you're on PC, have you gotten multiplayer to work yet? Apparently it's bugged and they're fixing it, but I don't know if that's universal or not. I've done the first dungeon and explored the first couple of areas, but I don't think I've seen another player yet.

Keep in mind that you might not know if you’re playing with someone else - they appear as one of your townspeople. If you’re just out in the world they can just seem like AI.

Finished the second dungeon and, wow, probably one of the best/most frustrating experiences I’ve had in a while. Got matchmade with another player and it took us a good 45 minutes to work our way through, after I tried to do it solo for most of the morning. Suitably epic boss at the end.

Really great game. Probably a better souls game than DS2 was, TBH.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Is there a way to always have the AI with you?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

ExCruceLeo posted:

Is there a way to always have the AI with you?

Turn off multiplayer. Although the AI sometimes bugs or doesn’t path particularly well so relying on them through a dungeon (looking at the second dungeon in particular) can be dicey.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Multiplayer on PC is working now!

Just did a run-through of the seat of the matriarch with another player, and it was exhausting. Going the wrong way feels really punishing and the shortcuts you can find to skip areas and specific enemies feel really cool.
The boss was a bit easy given how challenging the rest of the level was but I'm looking forward to the rest of the game.

Anyone finished it, how far in am I?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Can you turn off the companion entirely, and is the game viable if you do?

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah you can in the system menu. I hear it makes some later sections much harder, but you can turn it back on whenever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Eschatos posted:

Can you turn off the companion entirely, and is the game viable if you do?

Lexusbeat posted:

Yeah you can in the system menu. I hear it makes some later sections much harder, but you can turn it back on whenever.

Yeah, I saw Lobos Jr turn a companion on and off at his leisure. Some parts may require a partner to complete, like getting a boost to climb a ledge, but you can turn them on, get the boost, and turn them off pretty seamlessly.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Is there a way to overlay the frames per second on PC? The Epic store is still pretty bare-bones, but I'm wondering if there is a universal shortcut or something.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 13, 2018

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Most reviews seem to be saying around 12-15 hours, which seems just about right for me personally, but will probably be disappointing to people who want a fully-featured alternative to Souls.

Austin Walker said he's over 40 hours into his playthrough (and is at the final boss). He is a games journalist though, so caveat emptor.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

il serpente cosmico posted:

Is there a way to overlay the frames per second on PC? The Epic store is still pretty bare-bones, but I'm wondering if there is a universal shortcut or something.

If you have an NVidia GPU, GeForce Experience has an overlay for FPS.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'm getting huge pauses, like about a second of freeze frame and then the game continues. It makes doing the spooky ghost lady (and also spiders) cave in the first area really hard. Has anyone else had similar issues, and is there a fix for it?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The Changeling posted:

If you have an NVidia GPU, GeForce Experience has an overlay for FPS.

I do have an Nvidia GPU, but I never install the GeForce Experience :haw:

Anyway, I can always use Riva Tuner or just add the Epic Launcher as a Steam App and use Steam's overlay. Hopefully Epic starts baking in some more features, because that store is bare-bones as hell. It doesn't have a shopping cart, so you have to buy one game at a time, and it doesn't have a wish list. I do like the look of it and the UI is nice, so it'll only be a matter of time. Plus I'd rather the devs get more money, so I'm happy to use it over Steam.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So is this game anywhere as deep or complex as a Souls game? The two comparisons I keep hearing are Souls and Journey, which sounds rad but despite loving Journey I'm way more interested in the Souls end of that spectrum.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Does anyone know how to get past the part with the brown couch and the English guy droning on?

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 14, 2018

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Corr there's a difficulty spike after taking down the guy who raises skeletons.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Yep, difficulty definitely goes up a lot once you kill the second boss.

DrNutt posted:

So is this game anywhere as deep or complex as a Souls game? The two comparisons I keep hearing are Souls and Journey, which sounds rad but despite loving Journey I'm way more interested in the Souls end of that spectrum.

There are Four broad types of weapons, which is fewer than the number of weapon types in a souls game, for instance, and there is no magic afik. There are perks and potions with a variety of effects however.

There is no leveling, instead the player finds / unlock direct stat boosts to HP , stamina and upgrades equipment etc.

It is definitely a more streamlined game than a souls title.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

It appears this thread never really took off, but I wanted to pop in and say that I've been playing through this for the past week or so, and I'm really enjoying it. If you play with the default settings (i.e. with the AI companion on), the game is definitely easier than most of the other Souls-style games out there, but it's still a good challenge. The exploration is really enjoyable, and the character progression is also enjoyable despite it being super streamlined. It's got good atmosphere, and the dungeons are really good (though there aren't very many of them, sadly). The traversal stuff fits in really well (there is a jump button and climbing around on stuff is a big part of the game), and it's refreshing to see someone's take on a 3D Souls-like without feeling the need to duplicate the exact experience.

It appears to be pretty short compared to the Souls games, as I'm at the last area with fully upgraded weapons and healing flask at about 13 hours in, but it'd probably take someone who hasn't played any of the Souls games half again as long. It also has a hard mode that you can unlock.

It's pretty neat, despite it being pretty obvious that it was made by a small team on a shoestring budget.

EDIT: I just finished it. My final time (according to the in-game timer) was 15:18.

I personally didn't feel that the game's difficulty spiked; it felt more like a smooth build-up. It's key to upgrade both a 2-handed weapon for DPS in lit areas and your 1-handed weapon for dark areas and dungeons. I don't think I once used a shield. Doing a quick-step when locked on and dodge rolling both have a good amount of i-frames as far as I can tell, and honestly it's pretty easy to stand toe to toe with enemies and exchange blows, because you wind up with plenty of healing in most areas, getting 1-shotted is pretty rare (I don't think it ever happened to me when I was at full health).

The final boss was the only one that took me more than 1 try (it took me 2), though the second boss killed me right as I killed him, which registered as a win for me but the cutscene after the fight didn't play so I had to watch it on Youtube.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 5, 2019

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there a way to turn off the quest objective tracker at the top of the screen? I hate being told exactly where my objective is.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Sorry for the double post but Ashen is on sale for $20 right now on the epic games store. I think the cheapest it's ever been for PC.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

This thread is hella dead but I just picked this up for Switch and I’m excited to play it

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

omg chael crash posted:

This thread is hella dead but I just picked this up for Switch and I’m excited to play it

This game just came out on Steam and I was thinking of trying it out.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

looking at screenshots of this game makes me want an Absolver 2 real fuckin' bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My poor Switch isn't doing too well in handheld mode