Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mystes
May 31, 2006

Penisface posted:

why the gently caress would you name your software tool after stalin? it's not even young enough to be this ironic tankie poo poo, someone really did think it was a great joke apparently

funny how this is probably not as big a deal as when some edgelord would come up and name their software after hitler
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2018-February/094769.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

oh dear god that thread

"here's my new software project called stupidwopdago"
"hey you might want to change that name"
"YOU loving SJW ALL THAT MATTERS IS INTENT AND I NAMED IT USING RANDOM STRING GENERATORS THE FACT THAT IT MATCHES RACIAL SLURS IS SHEER COINCIDENCE STOP BEING SO OFFENDED"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Penisface posted:

why the gently caress would you name your software tool after stalin? it's not even young enough to be this ironic tankie poo poo, someone really did think it was a great joke apparently

funny how this is probably not as big a deal as when some edgelord would come up and name their software after hitler

its not ironic at all. they litterrally love stalin.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Penisface posted:

agreed, penisface.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

without clicking, is this the raccoon thing that our own mononcqc fought the good fight on

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Remembering when my old computer was fast and ready to process

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

agreed, penisface.

thank you

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

yospos is getting slow bc everyone is gone :smith:

gone but not forgotten

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

please don’t gently caress off, moo cow

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Captain Foo posted:

without clicking, is this the raccoon thing that our own mononcqc fought the good fight on

yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the dumbest part was the original author wasn't a native speaker and didn't realize there was an issue at first, and then some idiot hell fucker decided this was a good hill to die on

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

idiot hell fucker
agreed.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I've observed more people in my office carrying their laptops in the open face sandwich mode because they don't do well being put to sleep and woken back up

pram
Jun 10, 2001

French Canadian posted:

I've observed more people in my office carrying their laptops in the open face sandwich mode because they don't do well being put to sleep and woken back up

i do this so my vpn and a bunch of other horseshit dont reset because everything is locked down with session timeouts and 2fa and sleeping means i have to log into 3 things again

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my work macbook pro has so much enterprise crapware on it. the patching software they use literally makes the fans turn on 100% for like 30 minutes

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
is there a program i can use to turn all computer fans to 100% so management thinks i, and my computer, are working extra hard

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
speedfan might be able to do it. depends on how the OEM set up the fan control

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

have you tried google chrome

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How to find age of computer

How to find true age of computer

How old is my computer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

jimmyjams posted:

is there a program i can use to turn all computer fans to 100% so management thinks i, and my computer, are working extra hard
smcFanControl

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Siljmonster posted:

How to find age of computer

How to find true age of computer

How old is my computer

old enough to gently caress and cum in, op

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pram posted:

my work macbook pro has so much enterprise crapware on it. the patching software they use literally makes the fans turn on 100% for like 30 minutes

same, but the cheapest dell and several hours during the workday

8:05am? time to be completely useless for the next four hours, I guess

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Captain Foo posted:

the dumbest part was the original author wasn't a native speaker and didn't realize there was an issue at first, and then some idiot hell fucker decided this was a good hill to die on

several idiot hell fuckers from what i saw

mono said "this word is a slur in certain contexts, in case you didn't know" and a bunch of assholes had hilarious self-owning meltdowns

i guess it shouldn't be a black mark against erlang itself but holy poo poo was it a bad look

tbf there were several people on mono's side, but still, what a loving embarrassment

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I vacuumed the dust out of my computer case and now I get 3fps more in the source engine stress test

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

French Canadian posted:

I used to do this until my latitude developed this thing where if I lift it by the corner to the right of the touchpad the flex causes some circuit to break and it bluescreens instantly. And of course it only happens at client sites so IT doesn’t believe it’s a problem.

I’ve tried jiggling the ram modules and every other connector I could find with the bottom cover open but no dice.. does popping it into the oven to reflow trick work with laptop mobos

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I used to do this until my latitude developed this thing where if I lift it by the corner to the right of the touchpad the flex causes some circuit to break and it bluescreens instantly. And of course it only happens at client sites so IT doesn’t believe it’s a problem.

I’ve tried jiggling the ram modules and every other connector I could find with the bottom cover open but no dice.. does popping it into the oven to reflow trick work with laptop mobos
lmao @ all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you know what? my computer @ home isn’t slow, nor is my work computer really

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread