Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I was underwhelmed by the finale. It felt a little anticlimactic how quickly and easily the various conflicts got wrapped up. And why wouldn't Emily Prime have reported foul play at the mgmt level to the chief diplomat to at least try and prevent the crossing from being closed permanently? That part seemed especially odd.

I would guess that any potential season 3 would revolve around the Alpha world needing help from the Prime world to deal with the flu outbreak. Maybe they find a way to open up another crossing? They might be able to keep the story going effectively, but there's also a good chance that the novelty of the premise will have fully worn off by then, with the most interesting dynamics (Howard & Howard, Peter & Claire) having run their course.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think if I were writing another season of this show I'd probably start with a time jump. Long enough for the flu to have had its effect and for the two sides to be ready to try opening up the crossing again.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

While there's plenty of stuff they could do using the basic 'cold war espionage thriller between two alternate dimensions' they tied everything up nicely both plot and character-wise so I'm fine with this being the end.

Great show; deserved better. I'm sure it'll crop up in recommendations for years to come as more and more people slowly discover it, the two seasons would make a hell of a binge watch.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Great season finale. The thing that kept this show at such a high level for me was the acting. The story telling was kind of a reach for certain plot points but the acting carried it.

The main reason I want a season 3 is to see Peter meet his other. There has to be more to the story of that rugby match that he attended and how the games ended differently.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HanabaL03 posted:

There has to be more to the story of that rugby match that he attended and how the games ended differently.

There really doesn't. Just because he latched onto it as this obvious difference doesn't mean it was significant at all. Like Yanek's test that he blamed for killing his son, there's no way to know what effects all the other little changes that he didn't even notice had.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Great show, great finale. I was ready for S3 to be taken over by Amazon or something but the way they wrapped everything up I'm not sure it's necessary, as much as I'd love to see more Howards loving poo poo up.

They could always bust out the angle grinder and re-open the crossing of course, in fact that would be kind of necessary to avoid becoming a regular spy thriller, but I don't see the motivation for doing that at this point. Without that we're left with what, the flu and maybe some more sleeper cells?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They could get real crazy and have more dimensions, beta, gamma, etc.

In one Howard has gorgeous long locks.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

priznat posted:

They could get real crazy and have more dimensions, beta, gamma, etc.

In one Howard has gorgeous long locks.

They could totally have done Howard Team 6

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Season 3 opens with a news report of a super flu getting completely eradicated with a minimal death toll thanks to newly found medical technology

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Probably the most underrated series ever. Having to wrap things up in Season 2 definitely showed the closer you got to the end, but it was still mostly amazing television. Season 2 also had what was the best episode in my opinion, the one focusing on Yanek. If I had one complaint about the series as a whole, it would be that Mira was not a very compelling villain to me before said episode. Better afterward, but I kinda wished Yanek would be somehow been a much better behind the scenes main antagonist.

Probably the only cancelled series I am pretty satisfied with, though I would obviously want there to be more. Still, a great ride. And absolutely beautiful music.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 26, 2019

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

They "Permanently" closed the crossing by shutting the metal doors and welding them shut.

You could get those things back open in about 20min with a cutting torch, I thought they'd at least collapse the tunnel or something.

I kinda wonder how much of the crossing is inherent to the room or if it would still exist in the open air if the building was dismantled.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
I'm sure this threads probably over by now, but since I just finally watched the finale I thought I'd add my little bit.

I mentioned this show in the SyFy thread and one of the big things posters there had to say was basically "it's on Starz, no one has or wants to pay for that channel just for Counterpart." Definitely a drawback for it.

I loved the whole thing. Sure there's some parts where characters were making dumb decisions, but move the plot to where the writers want it to go I guess. The actors were/are fantastic.

As for another season, what about the world at large? The crossing is a secret, hush hush thing right? I think I remember a part where Temple says to Quayle "where are we with getting police involved in these things?" and Quayle says "we don't." So I mean, that could be a thing, end of season 3 makes it seem like an outbreak may just happen, world finds out it's because of a big government gently caress up with another mirrorish world that exists, experimenting on each other, trading tech/info/secrets.. etc. I dunno, I'm not a writer, but the general public learning about it could be a thing that could make for at least another season.

True finale could be trying to actually blow up the crossing, dismantle with science, something else that leads to more about how it formed, if it can actually be "closed for good." Or finding more out there (which in my opinion might be too much).

Eh, I want more.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I also just finally caught up with this show and add one more vote to the "Loved the whole season and finale except for the very end".

The show builds such a great foundation on Howard Alpha's struggle to be his own self and resist falling into his more basic instincts. That's the whole point of his "interrogation" with Yannik. It's also the point of Claire's arc this season. Emily dies believing that you can be a better person. Mira's last backup just feels petty and thematically inconsistent with the rest of the episode.

I like Mira as a "True Believer Leader" trope but not as an almost Dark-Knight-Joker-Level-Master-Planner. It feels like her master plan involved planning for her plan getting found out and her school destroyed and going on the run and etc etc etc. I'll buy her having an almost limitless number of sleeper agents in our world but once you go on the run, it doesn't feel like she should have this much control over events. Shouldn't she be pushing all available levels to bring her primary plan to fruition?

Again, I like Mira, I like her plan to exact vengeance on our world for the plague in theirs, and I enjoyed the "hot pursuit" of her cell of sleeper agents trying to execute the plan. It just went a little too far for me in places.

And it's a shame too because it brings this show down from a Must Recommend to a Solid Recommend.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 6, 2019

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm assuming the general silence surrounding this show's cancellation is not a good sign. I can't imagine it has a very dedicated fanbase like B99 or Expanse. Goddamn it, too good for this world.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
Starz man... Counterpart, American Gods........... anything else in the past, however long?

New thread title idea: The crossing is closed. The show is closed. The End.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ash vs Evil Dead

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Spartacus
Party Down (I think?)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Black Sails, Outlander

The network does quality poo poo.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Starz has The Rook coming up, and at least the books were excellent.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Black Sails, Outlander

The network does quality poo poo.

Yeah, I loved Black Sails. The series ran to it's conclusion too rather than being prematurely cancelled so it's certainly worth a watch!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I liked Boss if only to see Kelsey Grammar as a corrupt, House of Cards style politician.

Black Sails, Spartacus; those were legendary. I still occasionally flip the Black Sails intro up on YouTube just because it's so badass.

I loved American Gods too. I guess people didn't like the first episode of the second season here but I thought it was great.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

I liked Boss if only to see Kelsey Grammar as a corrupt, House of Cards style politician.

Black Sails, Spartacus; those were legendary. I still occasionally flip the Black Sails intro up on YouTube just because it's so badass.

I loved American Gods too. I guess people didn't like the first episode of the second season here but I thought it was great.

So did i.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This would have gone 5 seasons if it were on Netflix.

edit: Still catching up. Only on ep 7. Knowing that this is cancelled is a real drag. I feel like the ideal ending would be a restriction to scientific and cultural exchange. Limit the crossing to a single fiber optic cable.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 18, 2019

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I was up to S2E2 via the Starz app I pay for and the show straight up disappeared. Reddit has a thread on it.

So now to watch it you have to pay $2.99/episode via iTunes.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Accretionist posted:

This would have gone 5 seasons if it were on Netflix.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/netflix-tv-series-cancellations-strategy-one-day-at-a-time-1202576297/

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Show of hands: how many people thought of this show as soon as the whole coronavirus poo poo started to get real?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Well I didn't before you mention it buuuuuut :ohdear:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

bagina posted:

Show of hands: how many people thought of this show as soon as the whole coronavirus poo poo started to get real?

My city just installed hand-sanitizing stations in the subway and I was like "Yoooo"

Probably would have got further seasons were they airing now

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Did anyone post that season 2 is finally available on DVD? (Hopefully this link will work, my phone's being a bit fucky today with copy-pasting)

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VGTXKJY/ref 

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I honestly discovered Counterpart through a chance season 1 DVD at Target and was bummed they seemed to decide to not sell season 2 in stores.

Happy to grab that though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Aw man I saw new posts and I was excited for a second. This show getting cancelled is a travesty.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

That certainly explains everything and will remind me to refrain from ever again getting excited about a good new show on Netflix.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/Counterpart/comments/fkr8k5/justin_marks_spoiler_ama_thursday_319_5pm_pst/

The showrunner did an AMA with a ton of spoilers for planned future seasons. Apparently, the plan was that every two seasons would tell a complete story, so Season 3 would introduce a new location with new characters.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I just noticed that both seasons of Counterpart are on Amazon Prime now (instead of needing Starz access). Great opportunity for folks to see it since they may be looking for something to binge.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Tortolia posted:

So I just noticed that both seasons of Counterpart are on Amazon Prime now (instead of needing Starz access). Great opportunity for folks to see it since they may be looking for something to binge.

Oh poo poo, really? Thanks! I've got a group of friends doing online group-watches during our self-quarantines; I'll float this for when we're done with Twin Peaks.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What a loving great show.

Reading all those future plans makes me miss the show all the more. loving Starz just didn't trust the show.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What a twist, who would've thought Counterpart was a documentary from the futuret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

What a loving great show.

Reading all those future plans makes me miss the show all the more. loving Starz just didn't trust the show.

It was definitely the wrong network for it, but on the other hand shipping it around to other networks didn't exactly work out so who knows.