Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yo that was the best Raw in months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

that raw sucked. marginally better than the last two, but still orders of magnitude from "good".

Still, shooting oneself in the dick to distract everyone from having shot oneself in the foot is...a strategy

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The reason I say that is they basically retconned the last several weeks, acknowledged it sucked, and had a really satisfying main event. I genuinely love that the video package about Seth and Dean basically completely ignored all the Vincetastic bullshit of the last few weeks.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Admittedly I blocked out a lot of bad poo poo until I saw people bitching and remembered they existed but that's the benefit of really investing in your main angles without comedy bullshit ruining them. People remember the main event angles more than anything.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The reason I say that is they basically retconned the last several weeks, acknowledged it sucked, and had a really satisfying main event. I genuinely love that the video package about Seth and Dean basically completely ignored all the Vincetastic bullshit of the last few weeks.

well, I'd say more that they started to write out the last few (peculiarly godawful) weeks of booking. Maybe I've just been burned once too often, but I feel that the real test will be how long this relatively sensible booking lasts

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Trying to think of anywhere else that "LOL we deliberately wasted 12 hours of your life" can be considered a step up from what came before AND acceptable to an audience.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Beginning the show with an explicit acknowledgment that Baron Corbin is killing ratings and then booking half the show around him anyway, even though he's likely gone next week, tells me they haven't learned a drat thing.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I mean they didn't have revival lose to lucha house party again immediately after Seth called that out, which honestly surprised me

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GrimGypsy posted:

I mean they didn't have revival lose to lucha house party again immediately after Seth called that out, which honestly surprised me

That plus no piss plus basically not acknowledging the goofy Dean stuff at all is why I have some hope that they seriously want to move in a different direction. You guys can bitch about Corbin and that's fair but you're literally ignoring what we saw on screen if you think that was in any way more of the same.

Could they go back to poo poo next week? Yes. But I'm not looking into the future beyond Sunday.

Psychepath posted:

Beginning the show with an explicit acknowledgment that Baron Corbin is killing ratings and then booking half the show around him anyway, even though he's likely gone next week, tells me they haven't learned a drat thing.

They did that to make Seth's ultimate victory in the main event that much more satisfying hth.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 11, 2018

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Durrrr maybe WWE won’t loving suck next week

Give up

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tomahawk posted:

Durrrr maybe WWE won’t loving suck next week

Give up

I enjoyed the show this week actually. :)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SamuraiFoochs posted:

blink if you need us to rescue you from titan tower

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Maybe wait till RAW hasn’t had a complete waste of 3 hours episode in the last month before giving them the benefit of the doubt

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Can we stop with this bullshit? Sorry I don't reflexively think everything WWE does is Chinese Water Torture. The last two weeks have been the hottest garbage imaginable and I'd have said so on this forum but I literally lacked the words to articulate how much I hated it.

I found this week quite enjoyable, admittedly largely off the back of the opening and closing segments but those were both good and had satisfying conclusions.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I legitimately wish your optimism could infect me because while I agree that it was the best one in a bit it just doesn't mean anything to me. It was the best one because they lowered expectations to where all they needed to do was not have a grown man piss himself while everyone points and laughs.

Edit: I'm not ragging on you, I just wish I could extract whatever good you seem to find in RAW.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 11, 2018

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

fortunately it wasn't the same old thing in which Team Glorious had yet another dumb match with the badly booked AOP, Nia cut a boring promo followed by Rousey cutting a boring promo, something pointless happened with Sasha and Bayley, Elias and Lashley puttered around at one another, Finn looked like a punk, the whole show was built around Baron and culminated in a mediocre match...

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GrimGypsy posted:

fortunately it wasn't the same old thing in which Team Glorious had yet another dumb match with the badly booked AOP, Nia cut a boring promo followed by Rousey cutting a boring promo, something pointless happened with Sasha and Bayley, Elias and Lashley puttered around at one another, Finn looked like a punk, the whole show was built around Baron and culminated in a mediocre match...

How did Finn look like a punk? He wasn't there and I think the reason they did that was to bring back The Demon against Drew which makes sense and is good and even if they have Drew beat him it's fine because Drew should be built up huge.

Also how was that main event mediocre? It wasn't five stars or anything but it was a fun spotfest with sensible booking that got over the idea of TLC without diluting any of Sunday's matches and the crowd loving loved it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

SamuraiFoochs posted:

woah

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I didn't watch the television show but I believe my friend Samurai "SF" Foochs.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That was admittedly probably a bit much but it was definitely the best one in about a month and certainly the best "planned" Raw in a long time. The Roman Raw was very good but was also panic booked.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Raw was better than it's been recently, but I still didn't dig on it much. Like, the opening promo was about how the show is repetitive and boring and doesn't make sense, and that was immediately followed by the fourth consecutive Team Gabboo vs AOP match, which was a title match despite them losing a match last week to win a title shot, and the championship changed hands because Drake Maverick got pinned by a rollup.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How did Finn look like a punk? He wasn't there and I think the reason they did that was to bring back The Demon against Drew which makes sense and is good and even if they have Drew beat him it's fine because Drew should be built up huge.

Also how was that main event mediocre? It wasn't five stars or anything but it was a fun spotfest with sensible booking that got over the idea of TLC without diluting any of Sunday's matches and the crowd loving loved it.

he got shoved into a keg and was so hurt that it shelved him for 2 weeks so yeah that's a punk

And it was a mediocre match. I know your whole deal but come on dude.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Can we stop with this bullshit? Sorry I don't reflexively think everything WWE does is Chinese Water Torture. The last two weeks have been the hottest garbage imaginable and I'd have said so on this forum but I literally lacked the words to articulate how much I hated it.

I found this week quite enjoyable, admittedly largely off the back of the opening and closing segments but those were both good and had satisfying conclusions.

The issue is you sound like a peak TNA stan in that to you mediocrity is the same as really enjoyable. Sometimes the living isn't and will never be silver.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This week's Raw was the best episode in a while in the same way a warm glass of piss is better than a month of eating hot steaming turds.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That is immensely better. I'm glad that supporting my friend turned out to be the right thing to do, though I would have done it regardless.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

Durrrr WWE
:yeah:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

The issue is you sound like a peak TNA stan in that to you mediocrity is the same as really enjoyable. Sometimes the living isn't and will never be silver.

Lmao you're making GBS threads me right? Peak TNA stan? Other than posting tonight which I was admittedly eager to do because I like posting about shows I enjoy while getting literally no value out of misery masturbation, I told you so's, and circlejerks about understandably tanking ratings, when I do post I've been regularly talking about how trash Raw has been recently while coming just short of saying Vince needs to kick the bucket (because wishing death on anyone makes me feel gross). Either that or I haven't been posting at all which you should realize often means I found a show literally indefensible so why bother? 98% of the posts in main roster WWE discussion (well, post Raw or PPVs anyway, SmackDown is usually reasonably well received) are an echo chamber of how loving awful this or that is. When I agree, what's the point in saying anything? It's just a negative feedback loop I can do without. When I disagree and go to the trouble of posting, this poo poo happens.

I genuinely like the vast majority of posters here when they're not being miserable fucks about wrestling (whether from personal conversations, posts in other forums or about other topics, or on the rare occasion we agree a show is good) but I'm finding myself feeling increasingly unwelcome here. Or my opinions, anyway. There's a reason I basically never, ever livepost anymore. When I do it's either post show or posting my immediate thoughts without reading the thread. Because reading the threads basically makes me miserable (except Takeovers). I don't know why I even bother to express happiness on this subforum anymore. Sure plenty of people quietly agree or at least tolerate the difference of opinion but if the majority of vocal people are gonna shout me down for it, it's pointless.

I know WWE sucks a LOT of the time. I get no joy out of posting when everyone agrees on that including me.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've been listening to old wrestling podcasts from 2013 where they're reviewing RAW and Impact and even when TNA was bad, it was amusingly bad. It kinda makes me miss when wrestling was just amusingly bad and not just outright bad

Some people said this week's RAW was good, I'll believe it when it's actually good for a consistent couple months and not just one good week followed by more garbage

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The main event was real good but I still cannot fathom why WWE insists on having heels who are explicitly made out to be cheating fucks who aren't very good.... who then proceed to largely dominate or go toe-to-toe with the best of the best faces. The absolute best Corbin match of his entire main roster run was the night he got demolished by Demon Finn in like 12 seconds and it is absolutely the perfect use for him. Weeks (preferably not months) of being an rear end in a top hat who takes sneak shots/every advantage he can get, suddenly finding himself with no way out and getting his rear end handed to him by a clearly superior opponent. Corbin - wearing slacks - going toe to toe for so long with Seth even without Slater's assistance made no sense at all.

Regardless, the match was cool and so was the ending. The show finished with everybody in the audience happy and a good guy standing tall. By that metric alone it was the best Raw in a long time.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The absolute best Corbin match of his entire main roster run was the night he got demolished by Demon Finn in like 12 seconds and it is absolutely the perfect use for him.

I liked Corbin/Kalisto :(

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs is right, that was a thousand million times better than any Raw in recent memory. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, dudes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Kimoa Kid posted:

SamuraiFoochs is right, that was a thousand million times better than any Raw in recent memory. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, dudes.

'It wasn't as dogshit terrible as it could have been' is not a strong debating point

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Of course you emptyquoted that unfunny bullshit after I explained at length how tiresome I find it and why. Of COURSE you did.

Rarity posted:

'It wasn't as dogshit terrible as it could have been' is not a strong debating point

I enjoyed the show and by the sounds of it so did J-Ru, or at least the main event which was a HUGE part of my enjoyment of the show. It's fine that you didn't, and it sucks that we didn't both enjoy it, but you boiling any argument I've been making down to that is basically like me saying to you "I'm sorry you can't enjoy good things, no fun haver." I don't, because it's possible to have different opinions about a wrestling show while disagreeing respectfully and not being a jerk about it. The only part of any negative sentiment about the show I really take umbrage with is calling that main mediocre. It wasn't all time great but it was a drat sight better than mediocre. I think calling it that is disingenuous.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Of course you emptyquoted that unfunny bullshit after I explained at length how tiresome I find it and why. Of COURSE you did.

I enjoyed the show and by the sounds of it so did J-Ru, or at least the main event which was a HUGE part of my enjoyment of the show. It's fine that you didn't, and it sucks that we didn't both enjoy it, but you boiling any argument I've been making down to that is basically like me saying to you "I'm sorry you can't enjoy good things, no fun haver." I don't, because it's possible to have different opinions about a wrestling show while disagreeing respectfully and not being a jerk about it. The only part of any negative sentiment about the show I really take umbrage with is calling that main mediocre. It wasn't all time great but it was a drat sight better than mediocre. I think calling it that is disingenuous.

That wasn't directed at you, Foochs. You're talking stuff you legit enjoyed, that's different.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rarity posted:

That wasn't directed at you, Foochs. You're talking stuff you legit enjoyed, that's different.

The gently caress is that supposed to mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This thread, much like the hell-year that has been 2018, has run its course.