Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Won't it be current route value, then buy trains up to 3 total, then new route value x2?
I don't think any company can hit the 1000 valuation. Y&N is closest and won't be able to in only 3 rounds. I&B cannot and I dont think FDR will either, even if it double jumps each round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Buy SVR

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Sell 1 L&H, buy WStI

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
N&B

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sell L&H, buy WStL
e: and permapass, as I do not have any more money.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Sell all 5 shares of L&D, buy WSTL

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Sell my other L&H, buy WStI N&B

And I'm on permapass

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 16, 2019

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Same, sell L&H to buy N&B
Permapass

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I just bought some shares to spend all my money, so, SR over!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The final map

Stock market at the start

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I decided not to crunch it because there are a few individual decisions to be made yet, but Y&N runs for £830 by my calculations.
There's also no cause not to just jump in and do all of your companies at once - priority matters for track lay and so on which we can no longer do.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
I'm curious how you get 830. I haven't figured out a route that high. Y&N also buys a 9F train.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
SVR runs for 540, stock jumps 2 and buys 6E train.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

OR 6.1
I&B
runs for 700 and 100 in subsidies - I've lost 20 since last time, not sure how that happened.
Pays out, stock rises to 495

FDR
Runs for 940 (Felixstowe to The West, Harwhich Point to London, connected at Sudbury)
Pay out, stock double bumps to 460
Buys a 6E

OR 6.2
I&B
""
Pay out, stock rises to 570

FDR
Runs 1130 (Felixstowe to The West, Ipswhich to London, Ipswhich to Great Yamouth Port)
Pays out, stock double bumps to 610

OR 6.3
I&B
""
Pays out, stock rises to 655

FDR
""
Pays out, stock rises to 700

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

FACKER posted:

I'm curious how you get 830. I haven't figured out a route that high. Y&N also buys a 9F train.

And since I've got the map up, here's what FDR's doing

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Ah thanks.
Whats going on with that purple/pink FDR train?
"When a company runs more than one train, the trains may run on the same track as each other, but each individual train may not reuse part of its own route."

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That's showing the two destinations over the ORs for the second train - it forks when FDR buys a third train to hook up Norwhich for a more profitable run.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
In one big post like Squishy above:
__
OR6.1
-Y&N runs for 830, buys 9F train, stock jumps 1 to 610.
-SVR runs for 540, buys 6E train, stock jumps 2 to 245.
__
OR6.2
-Y&N runs for 1150, stock jumps 1 to 700.
(9F - London to Great Yarmouth Port, 5E - Harwich Port to Felixstowe, 4/5E - Ipswich to Yarmouth, all connected in Ipswich)
-SVR runs for 940, stock jumps 3 to 350.
(London to Harwich Port, Port of Felixstowe to The West doing the Squishy loop, connected in Sudbury)
__
OR6.3
-Y&N runs for 1150, stock jumps 1 to 800.
-SVR runs for 940, stock jumps 2 to 460.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Let's see

WStI

OR6.1
Runs for 350+100 subsidy
pay out, stock 275>310
buy 2 x 6L

OR6.2
Runs for 350+320+300=970 (+100+100+70=270 subsidy)
pay out, stock 310>>>460

OR6.3
same
pay out, stock 460>>610

W&F

OR6.1
Runs for 350+80 subsidy
pays out, stock 245>275

OR6.2
Runs for 350+340=670 (+110+80=190 subsidy)
pays out, stock 275>>350

OR6.3
same
pays out, stock 350>400

N&B

OR6.1
runs for 200+100+(30*7)=510
pays out, stock 260>292
buy 2 x 9F

OR6.2
runs London-Port of Wells, London-Great Yarmouth Port, Harwich Port-The West for [200+100+(30*7)=510]+[200+120+(30*7)=530]+[130+120+(30*5)=400]=1440
pays out, stock 292>>>>495

OR6.2
same
pays out, stock 495>>655

Let me tell you, it is a pain in the rear end to figure out 3 9F routes.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

Known Lecher posted:

Let me tell you, it is a pain in the rear end to figure out 3 9F routes.

I hate to break it to you but you can't count London twice and you must count the shortest number of hexes between as the crow flies instead of the route the train takes.
I found these routes which run for 1300=200+120+7*30 +130+120+6*30 +60+100+6*30

FACKER fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 16, 2019

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Crap, that's right about London, I at least did the shortest-hex thing right (I think). I'll take your 1300 routes and adjust the spreadsheet.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I did my runs, GG Facker

End scores:

£14,147 Cthulhu Dreams
£15,060 Known Lecher
£16,860 Facker
£15,100 Mr. Squishy

Fairly amazing comeback there, nicely done

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
gg was a fun game
Not really sure what I did differently than you guys but I'll take it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm very happy to get second place with far fewer shares at the end there.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

FACKER posted:

gg was a fun game
Not really sure what I did differently than you guys but I'll take it

You got amazing value out of share appreciation via mergers - which I neglected.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

£40 away from second :saddowns:

Congrats to Facker, the "merge a couple of decent companies together and ride them to the moon" strategy works really well it turns out.

Seems like the game is first and foremost about positioning your companies to have a good run at the very end of the game (even more so than a normal 18XX), all of us at least doubled if not tripled our entire net worth just in that last set of ORs.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
I would agree with that assessment, KL. I tried to token London early and hold onto it the whole game. I got lucky in the end when my one company went bankrupt, lost its London spot and no one else could sneak in their token before my new company tokened London due to being out of tokens or couldn't reach London. I will admit that I put a lot of thought into which trains to buy and how all the routes will play out while bored at work and waiting for you Asia and Aus guys, more than would be viable in an in-person game.

I did notice at the end that the stock price jumps get HUGE for each level (the last 3 are 100 value each) so I plowed my money into the companies with the higher valuations that would keep growing, though I think most of you guys did so as well.

One thing that is strange to me is how the last round all the Market Shares get converted to Company Shares which allows companies to buy more trains at the end. Seems like it gives a big advantage to the chartered companies that started late because they get the full capitalization plus the benefit of having their shares converted to inject more capital at the end.

I think one other thing that helped Y&N stay around the whole game was buying up its own company shares when possible. This gave it some income each round which allowed it to kind of keep up in the train rush.

I like how there are some competing ideas in the game that give you decisions to make. Merging companies lowers your overall worth and number of certs, but gets you into the bigger stock valuation jumps. Chartered vs non-chartered I'm still not sure on. I didnt start any non-chartered companies and I dont think thats a bad thing at the end of the game due to the share conversion mentioned above. Its also pretty expensive to start a non-chartered company earlier in the game but allows you to give the company a lot of cash early on.

Basically thats just a lot of words to say 18xx is cool and I'm glad I learned to play and I look forward to the next game.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

FACKER posted:

One thing that is strange to me is how the last round all the Market Shares get converted to Company Shares which allows companies to buy more trains at the end. Seems like it gives a big advantage to the chartered companies that started late because they get the full capitalization plus the benefit of having their shares converted to inject more capital at the end.

Is, uh, is that what I did? I thought I dumped IPO shares into the Market. Though a fair number of companies had a lot of company shares because they were non-chartered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is, uh, is that what I did? I thought I dumped IPO shares into the Market. Though a fair number of companies had a lot of company shares because they were non-chartered.

I thought that's what happened but I think I may have just cheated. I treated SVR as they all were company shares but that's pretty wrong...

Updating the sheet to account for that, SVR runs for 540 in 3 rounds and stock jumps 5x to 350 instead of 7x to 460.

That leaves end scores as:
£13,957 Cthulhu Dreams
£14,870 Known Lecher
£15,530 Facker
£14,910 Mr. Squishy

In light of that, non-chartered companies seem really good at the end of the game because of the cash injection!

FACKER fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 18, 2019