Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Problem description: I built this computer about 3 1/2 years ago. It's worked great since then. About July 2017, I upgraded the CPU and video card. Still worked great. About 2 months ago I came home from work and the PC was just turning on and immediately back off, within a second. It just kept going. I unplugged it and let it sit and plugged it in and it continued. I didn't have the time to gently caress with it so I left it unplugged, probably about a month or more. I plugged it in again and it did the same thing, but when I unplugged and plugged it back in it started working fine. It worked fine for about a month, then I moved. I hooked up the PC and it worked fine yesterday. Today, it is repeating the same problem. On, and immediately off, and just keeps repeating. The PSU fan will kick on but it looks like the CPU fan doesn't even do a full rotation before it stops again. At this point I'm guessing the MOBO is dying, or CPU. But I don't understand how it started working again for awhile and then shits out again.

Attempted fixes: I've taken every component out (excluding CPU), checked all the cables, cleared the CMOS, bought a new PSU thinking the old one poo poo the bed.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro N I believe. 64 bit

System specs:
ASRock H97M Pro4
Nvidia Geforce 1050 Ti
Corsair CS550M 80+ Gold(old)/Corsair CX650M 80+ Bronze(new)
Intel Core i5-4690
G.SKILL DDR3-2133 CL10 (F3-2133C10S-8GXM) 2x8GB

Harddrives:
WD Black WD2003FZEX 2TB
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Samsung ST500LM012 500GB
WD Blue WD10JPVX 1TB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

While a failing motherboard seems most likely, there's some other quick things you can check. I had an old case where the reset switch went crazy and kept triggering resets. It could be that or the physical power switch. I'd try disconnecting those and booting by shorting the power pins on the motherboard. If those things help you could try to get replacements for the switches in the case. Jostling it around while moving or just humidity changes can make switches contact differently especially if tolerances are tight. I'd also consider taking a look behind the motherboard to see if anything is shorting on the back like an extra standoff or a loose screw.

• Locked thread