Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was re-reading this thread because I am in constant awe and delight that someone made a thread about Freaked out of nowhere and it wasn't me and since the thread is hella tangenty anyway and I'm currently on a head full of :catdrugs:, I do want to bring back up

Lister posted:

The Dark Backward also comes to mind.
Not in the same vein as Freaked whatsoever, but absolutely make an effort to search out the special edition DVD of The Dark Backward, everyone. This movie is absolutely loving inexplicable in every way you can imagine. I caught it on late night Cinemax airings as an 11-year-old with horrible sleeping disorders (I literally have no internal clock! I will stay awake until I pass out after being awake for days on end. And every dream I do have is a horrible anxiety dream, to boot!) and let me tell you something: The Dark Backward is a loving hideous fever dream taking place in a post-apocalyptic trash world. Bill Paxton molests a corpse ten minutes into the film. He has an accordion strapped to his chest the entire time and screams every line of dialogue. Judd Nelson is a stringpole bad comedian who grows a third arm out of his back. Feauring James Caan as Dr. Scurvey. Wayne Newton loved the script so much, he offered to do the film for free. This poo poo is so off-putting it doesn't even have a cult audience, it's just me in the corner cranking off and cackling like an rear end in a top hat. I once got hit by a car while riding my bike trying to track down a copy of the DVD when a review screener didn't show up on my doorstep. WATCH. THIS. FILM.

EDIT: Goddamn, this is the first page snipe I wasn't embarrassed by. It's usually bullshit, but I stand by this.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
O.C. and Stiggs (despite coming out in 87) always gave me a similar "weird 90's vibe" and "how did this get greenlit?" that Freaked did.

The whole thing is on youtube as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMtbF-IHV4

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

"So many milkmen on one route. ... No wonder they fight."

The deadpan delivery of this line as, (if I remember rightly), Randy Quaid is in his robe drinking his morning coffee, is magnificent.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Blistex posted:

O.C. and Stiggs (despite coming out in 87) always gave me a similar "weird 90's vibe" and "how did this get greenlit?" that Freaked did.

The whole thing is on youtube as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMtbF-IHV4

There was a strange quality to mid-80s/mid-90s weird comedy movies and I'm not sure WHY that era produced so many.

I think I noticed on Amazon Prime "Meet the Hollowheads" is available. It's a movie that I recall hearing chatter about over the years (along with an unrelated "Meet the Applegates") The descriptions of both feel like they'd be in the same camp as Freaked.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think I noticed on Amazon Prime "Meet the Hollowheads" is available. It's a movie that I recall hearing chatter about over the years (along with an unrelated "Meet the Applegates") The descriptions of both feel like they'd be in the same camp as Freaked.
Meet the Hollowheads skews more towards the Dark Backward, there's a lot of uneasy, uncomfortable laughs in that film. John Glover is as likeable as he was in Gremlins 2. It would make an excellent double-bill with Terrorvision.

I'd actually re-up right now if it were available in HD, but it wasn't meant to be.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A lot of these things sound/feel like a live-action version of absurd fantasy cartoons, but made with an older teen/adult audience in mind. We could probably compiles a huge list of movies like this where even stuff like a bunch of Full Moon Pictures, Return of the Living Dead, The Mask and Buckaroo Banzai could fall into the mix.

Then as the 90s wore on, that sort of things seems like it became more live-action cartoons for kids as Disney and full-on live-action cartoon remakes became a thing. I'm trying to imagine what the last few big movies of this style were. Maybe Idle Hands and Monkeybone?

I'm not even sure I'd want to include something like the Scary Movie franchise in that mix, though. Despite their cartoonish nature, their status as parodies of specific, already R-rated movies, feels like they're something else entirely.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've never heard of them so I don't know if they're generally good or bad, but YouTube helpfully told me that a channel call Cinemassacre just did a review of this and they seem to have loved it. Only one of the dudes had ever heard of it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLaciRj5yQE

Hooray for a mini Freaked renaissance.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did you guys see the programmer dudes eyes in the black mirror movie? this t hread reminded me

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Got as far as Bill Paxton, you needn't have sold it any further, I'm going to make this a double feature with Never Too Young to Die that someone else recommended.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
game over man

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
God bless Bill Paxton

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
only alien 4 was made in the 90s tho

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

a kitten posted:

I've never heard of them so I don't know if they're generally good or bad, but YouTube helpfully told me that a channel call Cinemassacre just did a review of this and they seem to have loved it. Only one of the dudes had ever heard of it before.

Have you ever heard of the Angry Video Game Nerd? That's him on the right. Cinemassacre is his studio.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2f-kXVJlCM

E: actually you know what this outtake is even better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7zKMf5YDns

Commie Lasorda fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 6, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow, Film Threat, that's a thing I haven't thought about in years. Looking forward to reading that when I'm not on my phone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That ‘First Look at The Fantastic Four!’ tag on the cover feels like it should belong on a fake magazine, looking back.

My wife had Dr Pimple Popper on the tv the other day, and there was a guy who was a good 40% Ricky Coogan on it. Sequel possibilities warming up!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I just learned that Alex Winter based Ricky Coogan on Luke Perry (RIP):

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Excellent post, was this something that you had stored away to scan or did you find it online?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Wicker Man posted:

Excellent post, was this something that you had stored away to scan or did you find it online?

Nope, those are mine. The article would probably be easier to read if I scanned it as a pdf. Perhaps I'll do that if remember to bring it with me to work one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Watched this a few weeks ago with a bud at this thread's suggestion. It was incredible. Thank you OP.