Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Kazak posted:

They had to shuffle a number of troops away from that particular area because they couldn't muster the urge to get back to killing each other after playing footy

It's funny how we can compartmentalize poo poo like that.

"I can't shoot Ol' Hans over there, he gave me a cigarette at halftime!"

* is moved 5 miles away *

* happily shoots Hans' brother *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

dudeness posted:

Do ya think any of them had a one night stand with a soldier from the other side and then the next day had to kill them and cried?

Your thinking of the Valentine's day orgy truce

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Nearly time for tea. Next goal wins the war!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Kazak posted:

They had to shuffle a number of troops away from that particular area because they couldn't muster the urge to get back to killing each other after playing footy

That sort of thing happened throughout the war. Not because of holiday truces, but because units sitting in mud and poo poo a few yards from each other for extended periods of time often just couldn't get too enthusiastic about killing each other. Over time they developed informal truces, or "live and let live" arrangements. Sometimes they'd settle into routines that made the war less dangerous (for example, "command insists that we keep shooting, we're going to fire a shell every hour on the hour, remember to duck").

There's an interesting book on this called Trench Warfare, 1914-1918: The Live and Let Live System by Ashworth.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.

-gary lineker

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I mean obviously I can't fully know what it was like to be some grunt but if I just watched thousands of dudes charge at machine guns and get nowhere close and then my CO is all "alright boys our turn once more unto the breech!!!" I'd either immediately feign getting shot as soon as we left the trench or just frag that dude. Or pretend I had some important secret missive to deliver to the general staff and desert.

Or some combo of the three.

What are they gonna do, shoot me?

Yes and the rest of your platoon would cheer during your summary execution.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

[old timey newscaster voice] Finally we’ve been waiting for a chance to kill that super annoying communist guy from GBS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Both sides advanced further during one Christmas piss-up than they did for the rest of the war.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Cessna posted:

That sort of thing happened throughout the war. Not because of holiday truces, but because units sitting in mud and poo poo a few yards from each other for extended periods of time often just couldn't get too enthusiastic about killing each other. Over time they developed informal truces, or "live and let live" arrangements. Sometimes they'd settle into routines that made the war less dangerous (for example, "command insists that we keep shooting, we're going to fire a shell every hour on the hour, remember to duck").

There's an interesting book on this called Trench Warfare, 1914-1918: The Live and Let Live System by Ashworth.

Thanks for the recommendation

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
While the germans won most of the possession, a series of devastating own goals eventually won the day for the allies side, along with some late American Subs.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
After their xmas meals both sides were overly gassy

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I mean obviously I can't fully know what it was like to be some grunt but if I just watched thousands of dudes charge at machine guns and get nowhere close and then my CO is all "alright boys our turn once more unto the breech!!!" I'd either immediately feign getting shot as soon as we left the trench or just frag that dude. Or pretend I had some important secret missive to deliver to the general staff and desert.

Yeah the CO would probably shoot you and then instead of dying a brave soldier fighting the Keiser your town would know you as a coward who abandoned his brothers.

Unless maybe you feigned shell shock and went catatonic until you got blown up by artillery.

WWI sucked.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I went and saw They Shall Not Grow Old (the Peter Jackson WWI doc) earlier this week, and if it gets a wider release I can not recommend it enough. That team put a ton of painstaking work into updating film from 100 years ago, and while it’s more or less an obvious point that the war was devastating and tragic and senseless, it’s really driven home when you see footage of kids—actual 14-17 year-olds who lied about their age to join the British army—half buried in mud with half of their heads missing, or their guts hanging out, in vivid color.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Pewdiepie posted:

Congrats on your commission.

ur rear end is first in line, bitch

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Cessna posted:

I always thought this old quote by C.S. Lewis summed up well why it worked:

quote:

I may add that I did not enjoy the short time I spent in the company he commanded. Wallie had a genuine passion for killing Germans and a complete disregard of his own or anyone else's safety. He was always striking out bright ideas at which the hair of us subalterns stood on end. Luckily he could be very easily dissuaded by any plausible argument that occurred to us. Such was his valour and innocence that he never for a moment suspected us of any but a military motive. He could never grasp the neighbourly principles which, by the tacit agreement of the troops, were held to govern trench-warfare, and to which I was introduced at once by my sergeant. I had suggested "pooping" a rifle grenade into a German post where we had seen heads moving. "Just as 'ee like, zir," said the sergeant, scratching his head, "but once 'ee start doing that kind of thing, 'ee'll get zummit back, zee?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Senor Dog posted:

officers were fuckin morons during ww1 and also all the other times

always be shooting your officers in the back

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder_Goes_Forth

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Moridin you have a total and unsurprising lack of valor

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poorlifedecision posted:

Yeah the CO would probably shoot you and then instead of dying a brave soldier fighting the Keiser your town would know you as a coward who abandoned his brothers.

fuckin dead either way lol

and for what? gently caress franz ferdinand

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kazak posted:

Moridin you have a total and unsurprising lack of valor

you're either a dumbdumb for knowing what trench warfare is and thinking it's valorous or idk a normal goon talkin out his rear end? which is it bucko?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
"Oh please, diving is so lame!"

"Uh, are those a bullet holes on him?"

"Ok who was it this time? Goddamnit Klaus.."

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

[old timey newscaster voice] Finally we’ve been waiting for a chance to kill that super annoying communist guy from GBS.

it breaks my heart to ask you which one

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Read, The Guns of August and wonder at the arrogance of the aristocracy and be amazed that nothing has changed in 100 years. Old arrogant generals continue to send young people into meaningless battles to die over personal vendettas.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Melchett:
Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.

Blackadder:
Ah. Would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking very slowly towards the enemy?

Captain Darling:
How could you possibly know that, Blackadder? It's classified information!

Blackadder:
It's the same plan that we used last time and the seventeen times before that.

Melchett:
Exactly! And that is what is so brilliant about it! It will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we've done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time! There is, however, one small problem.

Blackadder:
That everyone always gets slaughtered in the first ten seconds.

Melchett:
That's right. And Field Marshal Haig is worried this may be depressing the men a tad. So he's looking for a way to cheer them up.

Blackadder:
Well, his resignation and suicide seems the obvious choice.

Melchett:
Hmm, interesting thought. Make a note of it, Darling.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

you're either a dumbdumb for knowing what trench warfare is and thinking it's valorous or idk a normal goon talkin out his rear end? which is it bucko?

Read the thread, ww1 was the last war with an abundance of decency within the boys on the front

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kazak posted:

Read the thread, ww1 was the last war with an abundance of decency within the boys on the front

yeah, on one specific day or while they were in the trench. you ignoramus

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Moridin920 posted:

and for what? gently caress franz ferdinand

one of the funniest things about the assassination of franz ferdinand is that princep assassinated the one member of the habsburg royal family who realized austria-hungary could not survive a war and had even the slightest interest in democracy (albeit only because he thought the Hungarians would hate it)

that and the fact that he only became heir because his predecessor committed murder-suicide, that he was only in sarajevo because his non-royal wife was forbidden from taking part in royal ceremonies, and the austrian nobility initially celebrated his death because they thought they were getting rid of an annoying buzzkill

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

yeah, on one specific day or while they were in the trench. you ignoramus

Wrong on all counts, you should come out of your trench of assumptions and read the thread. I'll be waiting for you in the no man's land of understanding

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

one of the funniest things about the assassination of franz ferdinand is that princep assassinated the one member of the habsburg royal family who realized austria-hungary could not survive a war and had even the slightest interest in democracy (albeit only because he thought the Hungarians would hate it)

that and the fact that he only became heir because his predecessor committed murder-suicide, that he was only in sarajevo because his non-royal wife was forbidden from taking part in royal ceremonies, and the austrian nobility initially celebrated his death because they thought they were getting rid of an annoying buzzkill

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Laterite posted:

It's funny how we can compartmentalize poo poo like that.

"I can't shoot Ol' Hans over there, he gave me a cigarette at halftime!"

* is moved 5 miles away *

* happily shoots Hans' brother *

It's well known that a good portion of soldiers in war deliberately aim to miss

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rutibex posted:

It's well known that a good portion of soldiers in war deliberately aim to miss

That is until they got the Wayne Grezkey poster.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Chrs Gry posted:

Who gets deployed to the frontlines and thinks “I’d better pack a football just in case”?

That's not a football. That's a mortar shell about to blow all those poor fuckers to smithereens.
:rip:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I went and saw They Shall Not Grow Old (the Peter Jackson WWI doc) earlier this week, and if it gets a wider release I can not recommend it enough. That team put a ton of painstaking work into updating film from 100 years ago, and while it’s more or less an obvious point that the war was devastating and tragic and senseless, it’s really driven home when you see footage of kids—actual 14-17 year-olds who lied about their age to join the British army—half buried in mud with half of their heads missing, or their guts hanging out, in vivid color.

Double recommended. Most of the discussion is about the video updating/editing, but I thought the narration was the real strength of the film.

It is 100% voice over from 5-6 different WW1 British veterans talking about their experience. No overall narration by an actor, just the guys who lived it. It has a powerful focus on their day to day life in the trenches, clubbing rats, living in filth, combat and the end of the war. It skips big picture discussions about the overall war that have been covered in a million other documentaries.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

If you're gonna die either way, why not pick the one where your mother won't cry bitter tears of shame for having born yo...Oh, yeah never mind lol

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Captain Beans posted:

Double recommended. Most of the discussion is about the video updating/editing, but I thought the narration was the real strength of the film.

It is 100% voice over from 5-6 different WW1 British veterans talking about their experience. No overall narration by an actor, just the guys who lived it. It has a powerful focus on their day to day life in the trenches, clubbing rats, living in filth, combat and the end of the war. It skips big picture discussions about the overall war that have been covered in a million other documentaries.

100% agree. The audio in general was fantastic too. I appreciated how they added a lot of background noise to many scenes, i.e. the clanking of gear, the low chatter in the ranks, etc. It made the whole thing feel even more immersive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kazak posted:

Wrong on all counts, you should come out of your trench of assumptions and read the thread. I'll be waiting for you in the no man's land of understanding

no u read the thread