Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

i vote: close it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Whenever I do this sorta post I prefer to focus more on something being disappointing than the actual worst since the true worst anime out there is likely a poorly animated, incomprehensible piece of garbage that only 10 people in the world watched to completion. Sometimes I don't even think something I listed is bad. And hell maybe one year I'll come across something I deem worthy to be listed both here and in the best of thread, and won't that be crazy. Anyway here's my list.

1 & 2) FLCL Progressive & Alternative - Can't talk about one without bringing up the other so I guess they tie? I'm not crazy enough to expect good things out of a sequel to a nearly 20 year old series that ended perfectly. Nevermind two sequels. But it happened, that's the world we live in. Initially I wasn't planning on watching these at all. After all, the fact that they brought back The Pillows was all the evidence I needed to not even bother; using The Pillows for a sequel has a vastly different meaning to how the original used them. And heck, that gut reaction was justified since even ignoring everything else about the way they were made, both shows had some pretty shoddy music direction. But hey I made an ill-advised blood pact and what sort of person would I be if I didn't respect that. Anyways, Progressive was exactly the sort of anime I feared it would be. Bringing up lore from the original haphazardly, forced connections (the very end of the finale makes sure to tell you that this character? Why, he's the son of this guy from the original series), and answering some questions that were left unanswered in the original for a reason. It's not 100% bad (but that's a backhanded compliment few shows are) but what little good there is just makes me want to watch the original instead!

Alternative, meanwhile, feels like it could have been a deece series if not for the FLCL connection. Kudos for not being a rehash but unfortunately a lot of my good will is just crushed by the way they handle Haruko. In nearly every episode of Alternative she shows up to fight a robot that appears, and unlike the original it doesn't feel like those fights are thematically connected to the emotions running through each episode. Haruko ultimately comes across as superfluous to a lot of what's going on, with her fights taking up time that could have helped with the dynamics going on with the cast. I think the cast of Alternative was promising enough! But because of that structure the finale falls flat as it hinges on a character who barely stood out. Even just a few minutes more screentime for her could have gone a long way. Also the animation was rather rough for Alternative. Progressive had a bunch of issues in its animation but it was ambitious every now and then (mainly in the vignettes that opened most episodes, I wish those vignettes could have more cohesively connected to what was going on in the rest of the story since those were definitely the strongest part). Meanwhile Alternative just came off as uninspired.

I get the feeling that they're planning more FLCL. Just a hunch I have. I'd like to say that it's not impossible they could spin something good out of what they have, but ultimately as long as they keep Haruko in the show I can't see myself giving them another chance. And they will keep her around, the ending of the first episode of Progressive was about how everyone everywhere is excited to see Haruko and aren't you, the viewer excited to see this person you recognize from the original? It's what you wanted, right?

3) Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Take on Me - I enjoyed the first season of the tv series. The second was generally terrible outside of a few episodes, focusing too much on the relationship between the two leads while taking way too many steps backwards with them. It's no coincidence that the few good episodes were one-offs focused on the supporting cast. Anyways the movie has similar problems, there are a few funny scenes with the supporting cast but as the movie goes on they're seen less and less as the primary focus is on the two leads and their relationship and this time there's some sex-negativity added to the mix. It's an encapsulation of a lot of the issues I had with the second season but now in movie form. I'll be real I wasn't expecting much out of this movie but there was a brief period of time where I truly dug a lot Kyoani's stuff and the first season aired during that era. Nowadays it has been quite awhile since they last made something that I could get into and I suspect it's not gonna change anytime soon, and that's okay. Sometimes you just can't go back.

4) Liz and the Blue Bird - I completely get why plenty of folks love this movie and heck I gave it a shot but it's exactly the sort of movie where not being into it just left me without much to say. See my previous comment wrt Kyoani, I suppose.

5) Lupin the Third Part 5 - It's a bummer that I'm putting this here and I kept thinking whether I even want to put it here, but I can't argue with facts and the facts are, I'm a huge Lupin fan and I never finished watching this show. I loved the standalone episodes, the ones I saw are fine callbacks to an era of Lupin that hasn't been represented in awhile and they do a fantastic job with the execution as well (the pink jacket homage in particular goes for a certain kind of wacky camp that's tough to pull off sincerely in a modern context), so it's not just coasting by on nostalgia. Unfortunately the serialized nature of the rest of the show just took its toll on me. The villains and overarching story were in that awkward position of not being bad enough or good enough, and much of the high tech element of the show just came across as a misguided attempt to appear relevant in a very modern sense. It also just didn't look as nice as the previous tv series, which is a shame. By no means bad but it's a mild step down. There's plenty of variation to how Lupin has been handled over the decades so I'm perfectly fine with just not being into a modern entry. I know the increased serialization in Part 5 was enjoyed by many and more power to them, I say. It's just not an element I was into. But hell, I'll probably finish it at some point in the future. Lord knows I've watched way worse Lupin; even as one of the weakest Lupin entries in the 2010s it's still far above the average quality of Lupin anime in the 90s and the 00s.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

5) Lupin the Third Part 5 - It's a bummer that I'm putting this here and I kept thinking whether I even want to put it here, but I can't argue with facts and the facts are, I'm a huge Lupin fan and I never finished watching this show. I loved the standalone episodes, the ones I saw are fine callbacks to an era of Lupin that hasn't been represented in awhile and they do a fantastic job with the execution as well (the pink jacket homage in particular goes for a certain kind of wacky camp that's tough to pull off sincerely in a modern context), so it's not just coasting by on nostalgia. Unfortunately the serialized nature of the rest of the show just took its toll on me. The villains and overarching story were in that awkward position of not being bad enough or good enough, and much of the high tech element of the show just came across as a misguided attempt to appear relevant in a very modern sense. It also just didn't look as nice as the previous tv series, which is a shame. By no means bad but it's a mild step down. There's plenty of variation to how Lupin has been handled over the decades so I'm perfectly fine with just not being into a modern entry. I know the increased serialization in Part 5 was enjoyed by many and more power to them, I say. It's just not an element I was into. But hell, I'll probably finish it at some point in the future. Lord knows I've watched way worse Lupin; even as one of the weakest Lupin entries in the 2010s it's still far above the average quality of Lupin anime in the 90s and the 00s.

i've been seen

srice did you happen to check out the anniversary special? not great by any means but i thought it was a cute way to do that sort of thing

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

i've been seen

srice did you happen to check out the anniversary special? not great by any means but i thought it was a cute way to do that sort of thing

I haven't! That's something I'll try to hit up when I get the chance since I forgot all about it coming out.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There was a chuu-2 movie??

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

I haven't! That's something I'll try to hit up when I get the chance since I forgot all about it coming out.

up until the ending i really enjoyed it, and it could've been a backdoor pilot into a weird part 6. but it's probably easier to imagine something cool like that than have it executed, similar to part 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That's enough voting