Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Old books, but not old books that weren't properly taken care of to the point where the smell turns to moldy/musty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Grapefruit. Of the ruby red persuasion.

Crackwhore Barrel
Mar 10, 2012

Cilantro, eucalyptus, wood burning (especially cedar), steaming soy milk

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
Mandy Moore probably

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Mephiston posted:

The smell of rain evaporating from hot asphalt or dirt after a hot day

I always bring this up to people when it rains and we're near asphalt and they just look at my like I'm crazy. Something stranglely nostalgic about it.

Anyway:

Lilacs and lillies of the valley, recently bloomed especially.

Freshly mowed grass.

Freshly laundered bedsheets and pillowcases with Downy used as the fabric softener.

Lemon pledge/Mr clean/ Lysol cleaning solution.

In case you can't tell I really love spring lol.

Edit: forgot about cedar! It's such a relaxing scent.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
The clay Roma Plastilina. Nothing in the world smells like it, oily and rich earthen smell with a strange tang. I have never not opened a bar and stopped to take a deep inhale.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Rain in the desert

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

creepin n rollin

these take me back to childhood every time

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Pirates of the Caribbean

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Whooping Crabs posted:

The smell of a freshly exhumed thread

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

FreeMars posted:

Rain in the desert

Rain in Tucson had the weirdest smell and now that I don’t live there I miss it, especially when you’re out in the cut away from the gross oily roads that haven’t been rinsed in 10 months.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
The leaves of a tomato plant, lightly crushed.

The park in autumn, when tree leaves have fallen and are just beginning to decay.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

B&W Film fixer.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Lincoln posted:

Pirates of the Caribbean

Hooooooooly poo poo.

But critically: CA or FL?

There is exactly one right answer.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
ripe mangoes

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
The smell of fresh tandoori chicken or saag

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
My family makes homemade kielbasa and part of that involves having the meat and spice mixture sit in the fridge for a day for the flavors to blend.

So for a day every time I open the fridge I get a wiff of future sausage and it's amazing.

dee eight posted:

There once was a famous conductor who was asked, "Which is your favorite orchestra to conduct?"

The maestro replied, "How can I pick just one? This one has the best brass, that one has woodwinds that touch my heart. And this other one, the percussion...oh the percussion!"

I recall a melange of smells from my childhood when I was maybe 9 or 10, the aroma of my dad and his father, and their buddies when they hung out in the garage after work. I never knew exactly what it was until I accidentally replicated it in my own adulthood. It is the blend of sweat, beer, cigarettes, and farts. It is a link to my ancestors. It is the smell of my people.
dee eight, your catnip has an amazing smell :catdrugs: Bebe would attack the envelope that held the felt mouse.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Outing myself as a basic bitch straight from the 90s, but cucumber melon bath and body stuff.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The inside of my motorcycle helmet.

Chicken cooked with Tunnel BBQ spice.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

bbqed meats

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I lost my sense of smell about five years ago when I bounced down a flight of stairs.

gently caress all y'all nose-havin sons a bitches.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hey everybody, this guy smells terrible!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Flint_Paper posted:

I lost my sense of smell about five years ago when I bounced down a flight of stairs.

gently caress all y'all nose-havin sons a bitches.

Surely you checked at the bottom of the stairwell right? It had to land somewhere nearby.

docbar
Nov 9, 2009
puppy breath, roofing tar and roadkill skunk

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Queen Combat posted:

The inside of a brand new game manual. Pokemon Blue, Morrowind, etc.

This, but especially the manual for Dark Cloud 2, which was treated to smell like old books and parchments, tying in with the game's invention mechanic. I've never seen anything like that again

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
The smell of spring. I can't explain it, but just as the snow is almost fully melted and a warm breeze comes through I can smell spring around the corner and it is the THE BEST smell. Also, my discontinued cologne Armani Mania is pretty damned good too.

Someone grilling ribs over charcoal in the distance is a game changer as well.

drunkb has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Dec 27, 2019

FinnDiesel
Feb 13, 2013

Freshly cut lawn, with a hint of gasoline fumes from the mower

msfd
Apr 10, 2007

The smell of a flowering bird cherry tree.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Old books, but not old books that weren't properly taken care of to the point where the smell turns to moldy/musty.

Hey hey! Class and Taste, my goon!

Has anyone said a newly opened back of pokemon/yugioh/magic/whatever cards? idk why it's so good, but it is!

Drying tobacco, hung up in the barn.

That weird "military" smell in certain bases. Like, when you go in, there's like a certain smell. idk if it's a mix of boot polish and whatever paint the government uses, or what. It's very nostalgic to me, as my father and step-mother were both military, and I'd go on-base with them sometimes and get to see their work. Some of my favorite memories are of being with my dad on the flight line, getting to see the fighter jets up close. I suppose jets/their hangars have an interesting, distinct smell, too, what with the oil, fuel, and other chemicals they use.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DicktheCat posted:

I suppose jets/their hangars have an interesting, distinct smell, too, what with the oil, fuel, and other chemicals they use.

Ships have something going on like this too. Museum ships, modern ships, whatever.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
How many people have said weed? Because weed.

Weed, garlic & onions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Chris Pistols posted:

How many people have said weed? Because weed.

Weed, garlic & onions.

Together?

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Diesel smells better than gas, both the fuel and the smoke.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Turds

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
My favorite cooking smell is by far saute'd onions and garlic. When Mrs. WITCHCRAFT is making dinner I frequently pop into the kitchen to go "oooh that smells good" and it's literally just onions in butter, food is barely started cooking. It smells good on its own merit, but also promises a much deeper, varied, and rich dinner to come. It makes me anticipate good food. My personal Pavlov's Bell.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The term you're looking for is library smell. Hundreds and thousands of books on shelves, condensing their scent and producing their own unique dust. Decades of paper, hundreds of pounds of wood pulp.

That reminds me, I also like the ozone smell of a laser printer or copier running full blast. Like the wonderful smell of gasoline, I assume you probably shouldn't be huffing it but I sure do like the way it smells.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

DicktheCat posted:

That weird "military" smell in certain bases. Like, when you go in, there's like a certain smell. idk if it's a mix of boot polish and whatever paint the government uses, or what. It's very nostalgic to me, as my father and step-mother were both military, and I'd go on-base with them sometimes and get to see their work. Some of my favorite memories are of being with my dad on the flight line, getting to see the fighter jets up close. I suppose jets/their hangars have an interesting, distinct smell, too, what with the oil, fuel, and other chemicals they use.

You just gave me a random memory I had forgotten for years. My dad used to work at an airport, and when he came home his coat and work uniform had this distinct smell. It didn't smell like any kind of fuel or oil or anything else. It reminded me of the smell of maple syrup but without any sweetness. I can remember being really little, and giving him a hug right when he came home from work, still in his uniform, and that exact smell.

Thank you for reminding me of that smell :)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

:kimchi:

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Wood chip mulch.

Perfumes that are almost sickly sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D