Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Smaug has been defeated, the Battle of Five Armies has been won, and Bilbo has returned to the Shire. But much danger still remains, and from the Orc-holds of the mountains to the dark and corrupt depths of Mirkwood a darkness waits, recovering its strength, laying its plans, and slowly extending its reach. The Free People of the North meanwhile think themselves safe and give little thought to alliances or rumors of a Shadow spreading over the world. They will need heroes soon, beacons of hope and unity against the evil which festers in the dark corners of Middle Earth.

If you're not familiar with Cubicle 7's The One Ring, don't let that stop you. I'm happy to answer questions. But here's a quick breakdown for starters.

The PCs are a small and recently formed company of adventurers. Characters are young adventurers (well, relatively so in the case of Elves and Dwarves) hailing from the varying peoples and places of Middle Earth.

The actual mechanic is quite simple. When faced with a challenge, i.e., when you have to roll to see if your PC accomplished a task, you roll a D12 and as many D6s as you have ranks in the relevant skill. If you meet the Target Number (TN), you succeed. The D6 in The One Ring replaces the 6 with a Tengwar rune, which makes a success even more impressive. The D12 has an Eye of Sauron for the 11, which counts as a zero and sometimes triggers bad things. The 12 is the Rune of Gandalf and counts as an automatic success.

The Hope mechanic is an important component of the game: you will likely not get far if you do not draw upon Hope and keep it kindled. You can spend a point of Hope to boost a roll. Every skill has a connected attribute (Body, Heart, or Wits), and Hope allows to add the amount of the appropriate attribute to the roll. You want to use Hope, but also be careful. The PCs can also pick up Shadow, and if the amount of Shadow becomes greater than your store of Hope, you risk despair or even madness.

The game is split between two phases, the Adventuring Phase (the standard questing phase of most fantasy RPGs, usually involving a fair amount of combat) and the Fellowship Phase. If you've ever played Pendragon, it's similar to the Winter Phase. Your PCs spend a season recuperating, spending Experience and Advancement points, and pursue a variety of undertakings. Examples include Meet a New Patron (e.g., you did a favor for Beorn and want to formalize allegiance to him), Raise Standing (e.g., you have a chest of gold and accomplished noble deeds---why not make sure the rest of the Shire knows and bolster your reputation?), or Go See a Lore-Master (e.g., Elrond or Radagast might know what the strange runes on that barrow-blade you found mean and why it glows blue now and again).

If you're interested, submit away! I recommend using David Esperanza's online TOR character sheet generator: https://azrapse.es/tor/sheet.html

Character creation is open to any of the cultures *except* Rangers and High Elves. Just keep in mind we'll be starting in Bree. The Fellowship phase is a time for PCs to go home and maintain their Standing, or perhaps receive culture-specific Virtues and Rewards. A Woman of Rohan may find the winter journey home more cumbersome than a Hobbit of the Shire. Then again, a PC can always decide there are more important things to do than go home.

Please consider the following questions when submitting your bio:
  • Who are your friends and family back home? What do they think about the path you've chosen?
  • Why *did* you choose the life of an adventurer?
  • What would make you give up this path for good? Or could anything?

Game Discord here: https://discord.gg/zY7G5E9
I'll try to pop on to answer questions, but feel free to ask here as well.

Recruitment will probably go on till next Friday the 4th.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Reserved

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Ithildin, Elf of Lórien

The sights and sounds of Lórien are unlike any other place in Middle-Earth. It is, at once, a reminder of what we have lost to the ages and a shining beacon of what could be. I am one of the Runners of Talan, those that spend their time racing atop the trees and seeking out every hint of information that the Lord and Lady might require. Few of us wish to leave the Golden Wood and, indeed, there are few enough reasons for us to do so. I am one, though, and I gladly make this sacrifice for my brothers and sisters. While it is not incorrect to call the Runners couriers, of a sort, it would be more correct still to deem us the eyes and ears of the Lord and Lady. The world darkens around us, the enemy's touch apparent. Without insight into the troubles beyond our border, the Lady Galadriel will not know the enemy's movements and plots.

This is where I come in. Bestowed with the very favour and blessing of my lady, I have been asked to leave the Woods behind and immerse myself in the troubles and intrigues of man. I am, at once, to find any hint of the enemy's plots and to find those canny and hearty enough to stand against them. And, speaking honestly, I am of two minds about the whole affair. The idea of spending so long away from the wonders of Lórien is a difficult one. The world of man, from that which I have seen, is a faded one. Darkness lurks in the corners, poisoning the spirit. Yet... perhaps my brothers and sisters of the Golden Wood would call this foolish, but I cannot help but be intrigued by the lives they live. Despite how fleeting their years are, menfolk are possessed of a certain fire. It is beautiful, in its own right, and one that I cannot say lives amongst the elves.

I have traveled many paths since I left Lórien, and I have now come to a hamlet that man calls 'Bree.' My instincts tell me that there shall be a hint on my quest, here, and if nothing else I'm curious as to what the people of Bree imbibe to cut the dust of travel. Perhaps finding a house of refreshment and celebration is in order?

quote:

Name: Ithildin

Culture: Elf of Lórien Standard of Living: Prosperous
Cultural blessing: Folk of the Dusk
Calling: Warden Shadow weakness: Lure of Power
Specialities: Elven-lore, Woodwright, Shadow-lore
Distinctive features: Merry, Nimble
Body: 5 Heart: 3 Wits: 6
Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 4 Wits (favoured): 8

-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 2 Inspire: 0 Persuade: 2
  • Athletics: 3 Travel: 2 Stealth: 2
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 0 Search: 0
  • Explore: 0 Healing: 0 Hunting: 2
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 2 Riddle: 0
  • Craft: 2 Battle: 0 Lore: 3
-Weapon Skills-
  • (Bows): 2
  • Dagger: 1
  • Spear: 1
-Rewards-:
-Virtues-: Favor of the Lady
-Gear-
  • Spear damage: 5 edge: 9 injury: 14 enc: 2
  • Dagger damage: 3 edge: G injury: 12 enc: 0
  • Great bow damage: 7 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 3
  • Leather shirt enc: 4
  • Shield enc: 3
Endurance: 25 Starting Endurance: 25 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 12 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 12
Hope: 13 Starting Hope: 13 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0
Armour: 1 Headgear: 0
Parry: 6 Shield: 2
Damage: 0 Ranged: 0
Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1
Experience: 0 Missing:uitotal: 0
Fellowship: 0 Advancement: 0 Treasure: 0 Standing: 0 Courage: 0

Tricky fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 1, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I want to try this system, how newbie friendly is it?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
The discord link expired, I think there’s a way to do a permanent one but I’m not sure.

I have never in my life played a dwarf anything but I think I might make one for this game.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Edit, I lied!

quote:

Name: Astrid, Daughter of Arn

Culture: Man of the Lake Standard of Living: Prosperous
Cultural blessing: Tenacious
Calling: Treasure-Hunter Shadow weakness: Dragon-sickness
Specialities: Fishing, Trading, Burglary
Distinctive features: Adventurous, Suspicious
Body: 4 Heart: 6 Wits: 4
Body (favoured): 6 Heart (favoured): 7 Wits (favoured): 7

-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 0 Inspire: 0 Persuade: 2
  • Athletics: 2 Travel: 2 Stealth: 2
  • Awareness: 1 Insight: 2 Search: 2
  • Explore: 1 Healing: 2 Hunting: 0
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 2 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 2 Battle: 1 Lore: 2
-Weapon Skills-
  • Great bow: 2
  • Sword: 1
-Rewards-:
-Virtues-: Trader's Savvy
-Gear-
  • Great bow damage: 7 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 3
  • Sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 16 enc: 2
  • Leather corslet enc: 8
  • Cap of iron and leather enc: 2
Endurance: 28 Starting Endurance: 28 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 15 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 15
Hope: 14 Starting Hope: 14 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0
Armour: 2 Headgear: 1
Parry: 4 Shield: 0

Life is boring in Esgaroth! That's why I left. With all the new wealth coming in there's so much to see, so much that just...goes right back out again! You'd think we were all Smaug, for all that all the good folk of Lake-town are content to sit and count whatever coin comes their way.

I told my father myself as he was sitting there, counting coin - I said "all this treasure coming in to Lake-town, do you really think we're seeing the most of it?" My thought is, that all these people heard that Esgaroth was opened now and are bringing in new trade, but chances are the best treasure is being kept close to hand, or, better yet, is still moldering away in some ruin out there, just waiting to be discovered by some enterprising individual.

Do you know what my father's reply was? "You've distracted me girl, I've lost count and now I have to start over." Oh, it's just...predictable, one could say. But that's always been the way with Arn, Son of Agmund. Don't get me wrong, he's done all right by me. It might help that I'm his only child, so he couldn't precisely shut me out. And thankfully, Lake-town's a bit more...uh...forward-thinking than a lot of places, especially now that the Dragon's gone, so things have been, well, alright. But...boring! I'd much rather be collecting real Treasure, not just coin. Something special, something unique! So...I left. My father didn't notice, I doubt he's even noticed yet, so concerned he is with counting his fortune! When he looks up, he'll see that suit of armor is missing, and then he might notice that his daughter's gone too, having taken her bow and her fishing rod with her. No doubt he'll lose count then, but it'll be too late for him to send folk after me anyway - not that they know where to look by now!

I'd like to see the Shire, that land where that small Bilbo fellow came from. Oh, people talk, especially in a city as popular as Esgaroth, you know. He came this way to find his Adventure and his treasure, maybe if I head that way I can find something for myself? I suppose Bree is the next stop over, down the river a ways. I hear they have good ale for stout folk - not precisely the Treasure I'm looking for, mind you.

But I suppose it's as good a place as any to start.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 2, 2019

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Plutonis posted:

I want to try this system, how newbie friendly is it?

Pretty friendly, I think, especially if you're used to dice-rolling pen and paper RPGs. But even if something is a bit confusing, I will do a walkthrough of the travel phase, social encounters, and combat as they come up.

Epi Lepi posted:

The discord link expired, I think there’s a way to do a permanent one but I’m not sure.

There is and I did! Thanks for alerting me.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

A curious hobbit, odd even among those with Tookish blood. Some whisper that she's no hobbit at all, but a terribly small sort of elf. How else could you explain the yearning for adventure and danger and exploring the dark places of the world? And those boots! Who ever heard of a hobbit wearing boots? Most unnatural. Foxglove herself can it explain no better. The small, quiet life of most Shire-folk simply never appealed to her. The world is a great and wondrous place. What a shame it would be to live her life without seeing as much of it as she can!

Since childhood she was always in trouble for shirking her chores and stealing off to some place or another, and there was nothing her father could do to dissuade her. At thirty she took down the old sword and shield from over the mantle and has scarcely looked back. Her brother was the only one to truly understand her wanderlust, and he keeps a lantern lit at Maggot's Lane at all times as a promise that she may always return - whether only to rest, or for the day she sets her traveling pack down for good.

Since then she has gotten into and out of many a scrape, though none precisely worthy of grand stories or songs. The one time she dared the Old Woods, she caught a glimpse of Old Man Willow and fled as fast as her feet could carry her. The most valiant act she has yet managed was slaying a wayward goblin-thing out from Mount Gram, and she is unsure yet if she has what it takes to face down anything more fearsome than that.

Tales of a certain Bilbo Baggins and his adventures with Gandalf and a party of dwarves has only served to further kindle the adventuring spirit in her heart; she will not miss the next grand quest!

quote:

Name: Foxglove Maggot

Culture: Hobbit of the Shire Standard of Living: Prosperous
Cultural blessing: Hobbit-sense
Calling: Wanderer Shadow weakness: Wandering-madness
Specialities: Herb-lore, Smoking, Folk-lore
Distinctive features: Adventurous, Robust
Body: 2 Heart: 7 Wits: 5
Body (favoured): 4 Heart (favoured): 8 Wits (favoured): 8

-Common Skills-
  • Athletics: 2 Travel: 2 Stealth: 3
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 2 Search: 2
  • Explore: 2 Healing: 0 Hunting: 0
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 3 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 0 Battle: 0 Lore: 0
-Weapon Skills-
  • Short sword: 2
  • Bow: 1
-Rewards-:
-Virtues-: Small Folk
-Gear-
  • Short sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
  • Bow damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
Endurance: 23 Starting Endurance: 23 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 13 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 13
Hope: 19 Starting Hope: 19 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0
Armour: 2 Headgear: 0
Parry: 5 Shield: 2

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Eboric the Houdmaster

Eboric is from a small settlement between Mirkwood and the mountains, who spent most of his time running beneath the eaves of the forest. The darkness there never caught hold of his heart, which longed to see the world beyond the dark forest and imposing mountains. With the death of Smaug and the increased trade across the mountain passes he had his chance. He is a well known wanderer and a guide of some repute. Along with his faithful wolfhound Pippin, a shaggy grey beast of cheerful disposition and helpful demeanor, he has made the trek across High Pass several times. In particular the pair are well regarded as lookouts for any travelling caravan, with Eboric's eyes matched with Pippin's nose and ears. Used to the crowded confines of Mirkwood, the bare mountains and lesser forests are comparatively easy.

Fresh off a caravan, Eboric has settled in Bree for a season. Although the sight of the land from the High Pass was impressive, it was beginning to grow stale. He was ready for a new path, a new adventure. He's heard that there is a company forming, looking for new members. Perhaps this was the chance he had been waiting for.

pre:
Name: Eboric the Hound

Culture: Woodman of Wilderland  Standard of Living: Frugal
Cultural blessing: Woodcrafty
  Calling: Treasure-Hunter  Shadow weakness: Dragon-sickness
Specialities: Herb-lore, Leechcraft, Burglary
Distinctive features: Bold, Swift
 Body: 2 Heart: 5 Wits: 7
 Body (favoured): 4 Heart (favoured): 6 Wits (favoured): 10

-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 0 Inspire: 1 Persuade: 0
  • Athletics: 2 Travel: 2 Stealth: 2
  • Awareness: 4 Insight: 0 Search: 0
  • Explore: 3 Healing: 3 Hunting: 2
  • Song: 1 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 1
  • Craft: 1 Battle: 1 Lore: 0
-Weapon Skills-
  • Long-hafted axe: 2
-Rewards-: -Virtues-: Hound of Mirkwood (Support: Awareness) -Gear-
  • Long-hafted axe damage: 5/7 edge: G injury: 18/20 enc: 3
  • Leather shirt enc: 4
  • Great shield enc: 5
Endurance: 25 Starting Endurance: 25 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 12 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 12 Hope: 15 Starting Hope: 15 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0 Armour: 1 Headgear: 0 Parry: 7 Shield: 3 Damage: 0 Ranged: 0 Wisdom: 2 Valour: 1 Experience: 0 Missing:uitotal: 0 Fellowship: 0 Advancement: 0 Treasure: 0 Standing: 0 Courage: 0

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Tuc

Tuc, son of Destak, is ostensibly a Dwarf of Ered Luin, but he has not been home in some time. Life on the road is just much more attractive to him than the Dwarven Halls of home. He is grateful for his family, his father and siblings still work among the forges beneath the Blue Mountains, for they taught him all he knows about smithing. Without that knowledge it would be much harder for him to survive on the road. Tuc has fixed many a tool and forged quite a few blades in return for lodgings, drinks and more in his travails across Eriador. He knows that his family miss him and want him back home to be with them but life is just so much better on the road. One day he may retire back to the Blue Mountains and join his kin but for now the feel of the road beneath his boots is too right, and the pleasure of being able to provide his services to the Free-Folk of Middle-Earth is too great.

Name: Tuc

Culture: Dwarf of the Blue Mountains Standard of Living: Prosperous
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable
Specialities: Smith-craft, Trading, Folk-lore
Distinctive features: Determined, Steadfast
Body: 7 Heart: 2 Wits: 5
Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 5 Wits (favoured): 7

-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 1 Inspire: 0 Persuade: 2
  • Athletics: 0 Travel: 3 Stealth: 1
  • Awareness: 0 Insight: 2 Search: 1
  • Explore: 3 Healing: 0 Hunting: 0
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 2 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 2 Battle: 0 Lore: 1
-Weapon Skills-
  • (Axes): 2
-Rewards-:
-Virtues-: Broken Spells
-Gear-
  • Great axe damage: 9 edge: G injury: 20 enc: 4
Endurance: 30 Starting Endurance: 30 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 11 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 11
Hope: 8 Starting Hope: 8 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0
Armour: 2 Headgear: 1
Parry: 5 Shield: 0

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 2, 2019

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Name: Elle Woods

It's awfully nice having big sisters and brothers! Dustin's almost in charge of the inn, since Daddy's getting old, and Jack's a journeyman under Mister Kent (and his daughter May, one of my best friends). Gloria's been stepping out with Robert, at the Gates, and Stella cooks with Mom. I can do whatever I want when I leave home, although I'm not really sure what that is.

I've been thinking lately, though, that I might just head out of Bree entirely. There was a huge battle, and people are settling in Erebor and Dale again. Lots of elves and dwarves around from all the fighting, but they're not the only ones. Orcs and goblins and wild animals, and room for me to be my own person, not just the youngest of the Woods. Mom and Daddy aren't too happy about the idea, but I'm sure I can take care of myself. Uncle Marty gave me lessons with an axe, and how different can it really be, dealing with strangers instead of customers?

Culture: Man of Bree Standard of Living: Prosperous
Cultural blessing: Bree Blood
Calling: Leader Shadow weakness: Lure of Power
Specialities: Appraising, Trading, Leadership
Distinctive features: Fair-spoken, Merry
Body: 5 Heart: 6 Wits: 2
Body (favoured): 6 Heart (favoured): 9 Wits (favoured): 4

-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 1 Inspire: 2 Persuade: 2
  • Athletics: 1 Travel: 2 Stealth: 2
  • Awareness: 1 Insight: 3 Search: 0
  • Explore: 0 Healing: 2 Hunting: 1
  • Song: 1 Courtesy: 3 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 2 Battle: 0 Lore: 1
-Weapon Skills-
  • (Axes): 2
  • Bow: 1
-Rewards-:
-Virtues-: Friendly and Inquisitive
-Gear-
Endurance: 26 Starting Endurance: 26 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 1 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 1
Hope: 12 Starting Hope: 12 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0
Armour: 0 Headgear: 0
Parry: 2 Shield: 0

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

Galadir, the Wayward Hunter

"The Battle of Five Armies has made it all too apparent that there is a shadow rising over Middle Earth. Orcs and other things which dwell in dark places swell in both numbers and tenacity. I fear that another great battle looms, one which will define this age as the Battle of the Last Alliance did before it. Many of the Eldar lament the passing of an age of peace, and wish to return to the West and the Halls of Valinor, ceding to the Age of Men. Yet this I cannot do.

"Middle Earth should not be so quickly abandoned. Where else but here can we bear witness to the Music of the Ainur and how it shapes time and creation? Valinor is beautiful, but it is stagnant, like a masterwork tapestry hung in a cold room. There the Song is only a distant echo and yet the Vanyar turn up their eyes and insist that it is as if they had only just heard the first note. No, there is still much more to do here, and another thing which I believe I must see through to the end before I may depart.

"I do not believe that it is right to condemn the souls of our lost cousins to an eternity of corruption. The orcs were once Firstborn, perfect in their imagining by Eru Ilúvatar when they awakened on the banks of the Cuiviénen. They should have been as the other Children of the Light but for the Black Foe who stole them away and twisted them for his evil purposes. There is perhaps one hope for them still, I believe. They must be slain. All of them. Perhaps it is a fantasy to believe so, but if there is anything of the Light of the Eldar left within them they might still be accepted into the Halls of Mandos. There they can see the tapestries of Vairë and their depictions of the great history of Middle Earth and our people. They can be reminded of themselves and the Light of Eru Ilúvatar may cleanse them so that after their waiting they my reawaken as they should have been.

"My kindred call me a fool for such a hope, and none more so than my grandfather who says such a folly is a slight to the memories of my parents who were slain on the slopes of Erebor. He urges me to return to Mirkwood and accompany him to the West before my Fading begins. A selfish fool. He said that he will wait until I have come to his terms, but I know he will not. He will grow weary and depart like many elves, and perhaps I will see him again, though I suspect not. When I have completed my purpose here I will go to the Mithlond and if there are still any ships left I will depart from this land. If there are not, then I think I should sit on the banks and compose a song so that upon my Fading others might sing it and know the endeavors of elves in Arda."

quote:

Name: Galadir

Culture: Wayward Elf Standard of Living: Martial
Cultural blessing: Folk of the Dusk
Calling: Slayer Shadow weakness: Curse of Vengeance
Specialities: Elven-lore, Minstrelsy, Orc-lore
Distinctive features: Adventurous, Wrathful
Body: 4 Heart: 3 Wits: 7
Body (favoured): 7 Heart (favoured): 5 Wits (favoured): 8

-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 2 Inspire: 2 Persuade: 1
  • Athletics: 3 Travel: 2 Stealth: 2
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 1 Search: 1
  • Explore: 1 Healing: 1 Hunting: 2
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 0 Battle: 1 Lore: 2
-Weapon Skills-
  • Bow: 2
  • Sword: 1
-Rewards-: Woodland Bow
-Virtues-:
-Gear-
Endurance: 25 Starting Endurance: 25 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 3 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 3
Hope: 11 Starting Hope: 11 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0
Parry: 7 Shield: 0
Wisdom: 1 Valour: 2

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 2, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vorna, daughter of Volun

Vorna was very young when her mother died, and though her father spoke often of her - her strength, her wisdom, and the light in her eyes - he never spoke of her death, other than to say that it was an accident. Grieved by the loss, Volun took his young daughter away from the halls of his wife's people in the Blue Mountains, for the memories in the stone had become a weight on his heart. They settled in a village of Men in the Emyn Uial above the ruins of Annuminas, who were at first distrustful of the lone Dwarf and his child but became grateful for a skilled smith, for theirs was a hard life.

Vorna came of age as a skilled smith in her own right, but also listening to the tales of the Dwarves of elder days her father told at the forge and at the hearth, and their fire was kindled in her heart. She became fascinated with the mighty deeds of making done in Ages past and the ancient Lore of the mountain kings. Seeking to learn more of the ancient ways of craft, she bid farewell to her father and set out for her family's home in Ered Luin. There though she was welcomed as long-lost kin, she came to realize that the knowledge she sought was not in those halls, nor any place in the Blue Mountains. She suspects it is forgotten by Durin's Folk entirely, and has resolved to seek it out wherever it might be hidden, be that in the ancient libraries of Elves and Men, or in the dark places where the Dwarves once delved in years long past, but not forgotten. Never forgotten. Not as long as Vorna, daughter of Volun has anything to say about it.

quote:

Name: Vorna daughter of Volun

Culture: Dwarf of the Blue Mountains Standard of Living: Prosperous
Cultural blessing: Redoubtable
Calling: Scholar Shadow weakness: Lure of Secrets
Specialities: Old lore, Smith-craft, Rhymes of Lore
Distinctive features: Gruff, Vengeful
Body: 7 Heart: 3 Wits: 4
Body (favoured): 8 Heart (favoured): 5 Wits (favoured): 7

-Common Skills-
  • Athletics: 0 Travel: 3 Stealth: 2
  • Awareness: 0 Insight: 0 Search: 1
  • Explore: 3 Healing: 0 Hunting: 0
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 0 Riddle: 0
  • Craft: 3 Battle: 0 Lore: 3
-Weapon Skills-
  • Sword: 2
-Rewards-:
-Virtues-: Deep Songs
-Gear-
  • Mail shirt enc: 12
Endurance: 31 Starting Endurance: 31 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 16 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 16
Hope: 9 Starting Hope: 9 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0
Armour: 3 Headgear: 1
Parry: 4 Shield: 2

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 3, 2019

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
From the discord:

carrot: Ithildin, Astrid, Foxglove, Elle, and Vorna: rich girl party!
LifeGetsWorser: We are questing for the skymall catalogue
ilootthecorpse: Fellowship of the Traveling Pants
carrot: stabbing orcs and picking up stable boys
ilootthecorpse: Lord of the Rings, but Mean Girls
ilootthecorpse: "This is Galadir. He's almost too gay to function."
carrot: "Oh my god, you can't just ask why someone's a tree!"
Lemniscate Blue: "Boo, you orc!"
ilootthecorpse: "I can tell when orcs are around. It's like I've got ESPN or something."
Lemniscate Blue: "Yeah, but he's my first cousin, once removed, on his mother's side."
carrot: "Raise your hand if you've ever felt personally victimized by the Witch-King of Angmar."
LifeGetsWorser: "Stop trying to make Precious happen, its not going to happen!"
ilootthecorpse: "An on the seventh day Eru Ilúvatar created the Beacons to fight the dinosaurs and the forces of Melkor."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
That is only a fraction of the sage words and eldritch lore that appeared in the Discord since I last popped in! Truly the White Council reborn.

So these apps all look good. Let's move on to phase 2!

Tricky
  • Men and Hobbits sometimes are dazzled by meeting an Elf, sometimes fearful, and sometimes try to avoid them altogether. Which has Ithildin encountered most and which is her preference?
  • What was Ithildin's reaction when first meeting one of the Wayward Elves?

LifeGetsWorser
  • Esgaroth is a worldly place where Elves, Dwarves, and Men of many places can meet. How did Astrid feel the first time she went to a village with a less cosmopolitan bent?
  • Did Astrid ever send word to her father and other family after her departure? If so, what response did hope for? And if not, does she think she will be welcome on her return?

Shardix
  • When did one of the Big Folk underestimate Foxglove and how did she prove him/her wrong? Or did she?
  • What is Foxglove's favorite artifact in the Mathom-House?

professor_curly
  • What is the riskiest act Edoric took in order to protect Pippin from great harm?
  • What situation would Edoric likely have died in had Pippin not been at his side?

Epi Lepi
  • Has Tuc ever explained to his family and kinfolk why he prefers the life of the wanderer to one of smithing and being with his own people? Who reacted worst to the news?
  • What happened the last time a Man tried to cheat Tuc from fair wages for his work?

CaptainCarrot
  • How did Elle feel after she killed her first goblin?
  • How did her siblings react to her choice to strike out as an adventurer?

ilootthecorpse
  • How does Galadir get along with other Wayward Elves, who lack his purpose and cavort and play without care?
  • What is the last happy moment Galadir and his grandfather shared? Does he ever revisit it in his mind or is it a distraction?

Lemniscate Blue
  • Does Vorna feel more at ease among Men or Dwarves? Does she count any actual friends among either (apart from the Company)?
  • What event or artifact from ancient lore inspired her most to follow this path?

TypoDemon
Apr 12, 2004

Go ahead. Take it from me.
hi, i like lord of the rings. have you closed recruitment or can I still squeak a guy in today?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Tricky
  • Men and Hobbits sometimes are dazzled by meeting an Elf, sometimes fearful, and sometimes try to avoid them altogether. Which has Ithildin encountered most and which is her preference?
  • What was Ithildin's reaction when first meeting one of the Wayward Elves?

Of my experiences so far, I must admit there's been something of a split between the prior two. There have been a fair few who avoided me on the road, but I must admit I avoided them as much. Menfolk don't tend to watch the treetops when they ride, after all, but I do note a healthy suspicion — surely of the Enemy and their forces — in the way some hold themselves. Perhaps the people of man are not as hopeless as those I've left in Lórien believe. For those I've met, it tends to depend on where and what circumstance. On the road towards Bree, perhaps sharing a camp, I've gotten quite a fearful reception from those I've exchanged words with. I suppose, to them, I'm every bit as much of a myth as those who fell to the Enemy's temptations. Their fear does not offend me, but it does not encourage either. I'd much prefer those cautious enough to avoid me or open-minded enough to invite me into their hospitality.

Speaking of, I've had quite a bit of that from the small ones I have met. When I first arrived in Bree, I had intended to seek lodgings at a common house. No sooner did I enter the door than the proprietor, a hobbit of no small cheer, and his family unleash the full forces of their hospitality. I ate what I could, imbibed the local brews as well, but there was no conquering such a challenge. For every plate that emptied, three more took its place. The family, the Brookstone-Banks, later invited me to share in the comforts of their own home. It has been quite an enlightening time, as I was not aware that there were quite so many meals in a day.

As for my wayward kindred... I must admit disappointment. The darkening of the realms weigh on us all, I know this as well as any, but I cannot fathom the infuriating ironic detachment that they've taken as a shield. The Enemy is out there! Their forces strike from the darkness, yes, but we can stop them if we are only to prepare and face them as one. The fact that these elves could be powerful allies, and yet still waste their time with childish games played on travelers...? Give me an ignorant man, a cheery hobbit, or a dour dwarf instead. I'd rather treat with the folk of Durin than one of these wayward fools. Say what you will about the failings of the dwarves. At least they believe in something.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TypoDemon posted:

hi, i like lord of the rings. have you closed recruitment or can I still squeak a guy in today?

I don't want to speak for ibntumart, but the OP says applications are open through tomorrow the 4th.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

TypoDemon posted:

Sure, applications don’t close till tomorrow.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

quote:

How does Galadir get along with other Wayward Elves, who lack his purpose and cavort and play without care?
"There is always a time to revel. If we are not struggling to create a world full of song and dance so that Men and Elves may celebrate their durance, then how else should we serve? The other Wayward may lack a clear-eyed purpose, but they remind us of our own: that we should protect innocence where we find it, and join in it whenever possible. I know that I can't hunt orcs every moment, and when I have spent too much time in dark places I seek out the other Wayward. We sing and cavort, share poems, enjoy in contests of skill, and remember what it is to live here among the wonders of Arda. I should say that I enjoy their company much more than those in the court of Thranduil."

quote:

What is the last happy moment Galadir and his grandfather shared? Does he ever revisit it in his mind or is it a distraction?
"My grandfather, despite our disagreements, is kind and fair. He has lived for many millennia and knows a great deal about our histories dating back to the forging of the Rings. He taught me the old songs not often played in today's courts when I was young and had just taken an interest in minstrelsy. I count many of them among my favorites. We had visited Elrond's court in Rivendell to witness the shards of Narsil and contemplate on the last glorious days of the Elves. It was a beautiful time where we sang and feasted among our kindred. It was also the last time my grandfather and I spoke amicably. On our return to Mirkwood I informed him that I wished to remain in Middle Earth and since then we have only spoken in letters. I do not like to dwell on it, but I find that too much idle time brings back the memory and then I am back out to hunt."

ilootthecorpse fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 3, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fastolph is the son of the owner of the Toad Lodge, one of the various inns in Bree, which has been owned by his family since the Mugworths moved to Bree from the Anduin river centuries ago. While not a particularly adventurous Hobbit, like many of the Bree-Hobbits, the mismanagement of the Toad Lodge by several generations of prodigal Mugworths and the success of the Prancing Pony led to the decline of the family business and the risk of it being shuttered down forever. Such dark prospects and the tales of Dwarf and Elven treasures lying in abandoned lands, as well as recipes for foods unmatched on the provincial city have led the young Hobbit to consider start a career of adventuring, to the chagrin of the traditionalist Mugworth clan, yet he has often reassured them that he would settle down and take over Toad Lodge once he finally amassed enough wealth to bring his family back to prosperity...

quote:

Name: Fastolph Mugworth

Culture: Bree-Hobbit Standard of Living: Prosperous
Cultural blessing: Bree Blood
Specialities: Cooking, Smoking, Folk-lore
Distinctive features: Curious, Small
Body: 3 Heart: 7 Wits: 4
Body (favoured): 4 Heart (favoured): 9 Wits (favoured): 7

-Common Skills-
  • Awe: 0 Inspire: 0 Persuade: 3
  • Athletics: 0 Travel: 1 Stealth: 3
  • Awareness: 2 Insight: 2 Search: 2
  • Explore: 1 Healing: 0 Hunting: 0
  • Song: 2 Courtesy: 4 Riddle: 2
  • Craft: 0 Battle: 0 Lore: 0
-Weapon Skills-
  • Bow: 2
  • Short sword: 1
-Rewards-:
-Virtues-: The Big and the Little
-Gear-
  • Short sword damage: 5 edge: 10 injury: 14 enc: 1
Endurance: 23 Starting Endurance: 23 Fatigue from Encumbrance: 2 Fatigue from Travel: 0 Total Fatigue: 2
Hope: 19 Starting Hope: 19 Temporary Shadow: 0 Permanent Shadow: 0 Total Shadow: 0
Parry: 4 Shield: 0

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

ibntumart posted:

How did Elle feel after she killed her first goblin?

That's . . . not a fun story. Maybe I could-? Okay, fine.

I was with Robert, doing the family's quarterly shift at the Gates (it's complicated), and I figured nothing was going to happen. Most of the people who come through are frequent visitors, according to him, and there's hardly ever any trouble. So my single shift should have been fine, right? Well, not so much.

It wasn't even really a big deal, or so the senior guardsmen told me later. Just a handful of goblins, a trifle for the Guard. Robert actually caught sight of them as they left the grove outside town, and sounded the alarm. I don't think anyone would have blamed me for hanging back and letting the professionals handle it, just helping them out, but . . . maybe I have instincts for this stuff. I grabbed a bow and let loose. The fight was over in a flash, what with them being in about the worst position possible, but my arrow still hit one of them in the chest. I saw it when we went down, for the report we had to make to the captain. It was satisfying, when Robert clapped me on the back and congratulated me. I'd done more than anyone expected, and defended other people.

That was the first time I really thought about leaving Bree.

quote:

How did her siblings react to her choice to strike out as an adventurer?

Uggghh. Stella and Gloria don't understand not wanting a comfortable life, and Dustin's a little envious that I'm going to see the world. Jack doesn't really care, I think. Daddy's worried that I'll fall in with bad sorts, but Mom thought I might 'find someone who suits me', which I guess means she's hoping I'll get married on the road? It'll be interesting, coming back when I have stories to tell.

CaptainCarrot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 4, 2019

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

quote:

When did one of the Big Folk underestimate Foxglove and how did she prove him/her wrong? Or did she?
While resting in Bree, a scarred warrior saw her gear and thought she must be having a joke at his expense. Everyone knew halflings didn't walk farther from their homes than it took to find a good fishing spot. A few kind words and a round or two of drinks (nobody was quite certain who's tab it belonged to) and he was nodding along as Foxglove explained how a fox can be as fierce as a lion when you're scarcely two and half feet tall. Before long they were comparing scars and parted on good terms.

quote:

What is Foxglove's favorite artifact in the Mathom-House?
In a dim but dust-free back room sits an ancient shield. It is scarred but unbroken, bearing a white sigil on a black field and clearly sized for a Man. No Hobbit knows its providence. It has always sat in the Mathom-house of Michel Delving and before that it passed among the Shire-folk as most mathoms do, a gift passed along through the ages. It sits now well cared for but purposeless. A minor curiosity among a folk for whom swords and shields have no practical use.

The weight of years and the great events the shield was surely present for weighs on Foxglove's mind. What forgotten kingdom did it hail from? What sort of Man wielded it, and who were their enemies? And can an earnest young hobbit hope to measure up to the example the shield has grown to represent in her thoughts?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

ibntumart posted:

LifeGetsWorser[*]Esgaroth is a worldly place where Elves, Dwarves, and Men of many places can meet. How did Astrid feel the first time she went to a village with a less cosmopolitan bent?

"Wh-well I would never think to say anything so...unfortunate about another people's culture. I'm the traveler in other lands, after all, it wouldn't do to...to presuppose anything about them?

...Especially if they may be a prospective buyer and/or seller of an interesting item, of course.

Oh well yes, but it isn't what you might think of course. Esgaroth is indeed a wonderfully worldly place, Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain, all manner of Men of the Wildlands, even a rare Elf from the south, and well, folk from everywhere else, mostly, have been coming here since the death of Smaug. Some just for a quick chat or a quick bit of business on their way elsewhere, and some who've stayed a while.

You'll notice a conspicuous absence to my list of peoples of course. Well, two. Hobbits, of course, but that's to be expected; they're very far away, mostly, and not inclined to travel. Part of my reasoning for traveling in fact is to meet one.

...The other absence is of course, Wood Elves. Which, truth be told, does provide me no small amount of consternation - after all, is not Mirkwood the neighboring realm to Esgaroth? Does not our river run through their kingdom? And yet they never, or hardly ever, see fit to invite us to any sort of festival, or harvest or...holiday there. So when I took flight, to the west, I of course took the river through Mirkwood - not by myself of course, but ships go back and forth now, so thankfully there's a bit of travel to keep away the various...ghost stories that crop up. So I thought to pay a visit to our neighbors. Hmph! I don't think I'll be doing so again, at least not any time soon.

I have had QUITE enough of Elf pranks to last me a lifetime! And no, I don't intend to provide a more detailed description of my embarrassment to you, or anyone else."

ibntumart posted:

[*]Did Astrid ever send word to her father and other family after her departure? If so, what response did hope for? And if not, does she think she will be welcome on her return?[/list]

"Listen, there is...my father and I have a certain sort of relationship. He ignores me and counts his money, I fish. He ignores me and counts his money, I correct his errors. He ignores me and counts his money, I court a ruffian in a woefully ignored attempt to get him to look up from said pile of money and...well you get the idea.

Certainly we have other relations. I've aunts and uncles - but after mother died nothing quite rouses father. So yes, I sent a letter to said aunts and uncles and cousins. Just...explaining I've got on a bit of a trip - that I'm well escorted and that nothing bad will happen to me, I just needed to get out of my home for a bit. I uhm...embellished how well-prepared I was but I wasn't about to stop just because I considered that I wasn't precisely the most violent sort of person. I asked them to check on father and make sure he eats and sleeps and all.

And I doubt he's paid enough attention to any of it to look up.

Ah, fine, I over-exaggerate. I'm sure he noticed...eventually. I'm sure he had a row with his siblings over not telling him and has henceforth decided to cut me out of everything. Until I get home and smooth things over with him, which I will. And I'll make sure to bring a fat coinpurse with me, just for him. Eventually."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ibntumart posted:

Lemniscate Blue
  • Does Vorna feel more at ease among Men or Dwarves? Does she count any actual friends among either (apart from the Company)?

Truth is, I'm not exactly at full ease in either company. It's all down to the expectations, I guess. My father never truly knew how to raise a Dwarf lass, and did a better job with the Dwarf part than the lass. Most of those outside our folk have never met one, and for good reason. There's not many of us, and we're expected to stay home to bear and raise good strong sons. When I left my father's house the first place I went was to my mother's people in the Blue Mountains, and I was welcomed like a long-lost daughter. Which I suppose I was, in their view. But soon the expectations began to settle around me like strands of a spider's web - soft, but unyielding. Here's a nice strong fellow, hasn't he got a good stout beard. This'll be your family hall, when you settle down with some strapping lad. My cousin's boy Buri was asking after you yesterday. They all thought I was hanging around the forges just to... well, that's neither here nor there. Point is, yes, sure, someday. But not yet. So when I realized that what I wanted wasn't there, I left. I'll be back. But not yet.

As for Men, they are a little easier to deal with, sure. Most of them haven't seen any Dwarf more than a handful of times in their lives, so a Dwarf who happens to be a girl isn't that much more of a reach, and most eventually get around to treating me like any other of my folk. But there's a chasm there, too - so few of their lives are built on the strong foundations of their forebears, and many let the hearth of their traditions burn out. How can they live as if their past doesn't matter? Ah, well. Our ways are not Men's ways, and there's much about them that I don't understand and probably never will. Makes it hard to be too friendly.

Friends? Some few, scattered about. I grew up in a village of Men, and my closest friend was Merwa, a shepherd's daughter. But she grew up so fast - just before I left, she had her second grandchild born. Hard to stay close, but we'll be friends as long as we're both here. Among my kin, the Dwarves, my cousin Yldis and I became quite close when I was there. She's older than I am, with little ones already, but she told me she wishes she could come with me to see the world. Not that she'd give up her sons - she's a fiercely loving mother. And, well, I'll always count my father. I go back when I can, share what I've learned, what I've seen. We still have each other. We're family.

ibntumart posted:

• What event or artifact from ancient lore inspired her most to follow this path?

The greatest smith of the Dwarven master smiths was Telchar of Nogrod, which was known to Men of old as Hollowbold before it was lost in the great battle at the end of the First Age. The hand of Telchar was felt all throughout the tales of the Great - he forged the knife that cut a Great Jewel from the crown of the first Dark Lord, and the sword that defeated the second, though it was broken and its wielder slain. But not all of his works were weapons of war.

When the Noldor came across the sea, they settled in many beautiful places in the land that is now lost. One of their realms was Nargothrond, ruled by a king who was friend to the Dwarves of Nogrod, who we knew as Felakgundu. The Dwarves delved out that fortress for Felakgundu and made it one of the wonders of the Age, a glory of beautiful stone and jewels worked with cunning hands. And the greatest wonder was the Orrery of Telchar.

It hung in the Great Hall of Nargothrond, silver and gold, and it shone with the light of the Sun, the Moon, and the stars, captured through mirrored passages and scattered by brilliant wrought gems. It moved through mechanisms unknown to us in these later days, and its movements tracked the path of the Sun and Moon across the sky, and the fixed and wandering stars, changing with the seasons. It foretold eclipses and comets, and the nights when stars could be seen falling from the sky. It gave the Elves, who loved the sky and stars, great beauty and made life in their underground fortress more than bearable - even beloved.

And it was lost. Thrown down when the first Dragon overthrew the hidden citadel, because though he felt a lust for beautiful things, he hated the light of the Sun and could not stand it in his lair. The Dwarves have never forgotten this destruction, and this was the spark that grew into the great hatred the Dwarves have for the Dragons and their ilk.

And so much more was lost. The great realms of Nogrod and Belegost, and Moria in turn. We no longer have the wisdom to predict the movement of the Sun and Moon - we cannot even tell when Durin's Day will come, and that is a day we hold dear.

But it may be that the Seven Stars of Durin's Crown are rising again. Erebor was regained, its forges and hearths lit anew with bright, warm fires. We look to the day when we recover - or rediscover - the lore and the craft so long forgotten. And maybe a new Orrery, or something even surpassing, will shine out again.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
All right, application phase is closed! I will have to make some tough decisions this weekend.

Plutonis, your two questions:
  • Fastolph seems to be a well-spoken and courteous Hobbit. When did that not get him out of a serious bind?
  • Assuming Fastolph's parents reaction to his leaving for adventure was to say they would rather lose the inn than their son, how would he respond?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

ibntumart posted:

Epi Lepi
  • Has Tuc ever explained to his family and kinfolk why he prefers the life of the wanderer to one of smithing and being with his own people? Who reacted worst to the news?

Tuc has tried to explain to his family why he wanders. That the feeling of a breeze in his beard with clear skies above gives him such a sense of peace. His father, Destak, and older brother, Hezmec, took his leaving the worst. Both were instrumental to Tuc's learning to smith and while Destak was saddened by his decision to leave, Hezmec was angry, especially when he learned of Tuc's plan of peddling his services as a smith to make his way, and thus sharing his family secrets with outsiders.

ibntumart posted:

Epi Lepi
  • What happened the last time a Man tried to cheat Tuc from fair wages for his work?

Tuc knows you can't be soft on the road and survive. The last time a Man tried to get out of paying for one of Tuc's wares, Tuc gave him a chance to rectify the situation. The Man, large and burly, still refused to pay and jeered that Tuc was too small of stature to do anything about it. He was quickly proven wrong. Tuc grabbed the man and after a quick tussle, the Man was less one dwarf forged sword and plus 3 broken fingers and a bruised face.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ibntumart posted:

• Fastolph seems to be a well-spoken and courteous Hobbit. When did that not get him out of a serious bind?

There was that time where the Toad Lodge had the displeasure of having to serve some renegade southrons, men who tried to draw their blades in response to learning about the price of their stay and tried to rob the place. Fastolph knew that fighting such large brutes was a losing proposition, so he unfortunately had to waste a good bowl of hot vegetable soup by chucking the boiling liquid on the faces of the men and running as fast as he could to call the militia of Bree to take care of them, a harrowing experience that he never wishes to repeat on his life.

quote:

• Assuming Fastolph's parents reaction to his leaving for adventure was to say they would rather lose the inn than their son, how would he respond?

The Mugworths are perhaps the most traditional of the Hobbitfolk in Bree, people who never even considered moving to the Shire and who have taken pride on their stubborn determination to resist the whim of travel and to stay at home. Fastolph knows that his parents would not accept any justification for his departure no matter what and therefore... He decided not to tell them anything about his intent, instead deciding to leave a long letter with the testament detailing whichever of the goods left by him at Toad Lodge would be left to his four siblings in the case of his untimely demise.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry for the delay. These were strong apps, so narrowing this down was not easy. But narrow it down I did.

The company's roster shall be:
  • Captain Carrot - Elle Woods
  • ilootthecorpse - Galadir
  • Lemniscate Blue - Vorna
  • LifeGetsWorser - Astrid
  • Plutonis - Fastolph
  • Tricky - Ithildin

So now we move to the final pre-game phase, the creation of the company. Two main things to decide here: the manner of the company's forming, and the focus relationships within the company.

The Company:

First, you will need to figure out where the company was formed. This can be just about any haven or sanctuary on the player map *except* Rivendell. (Bree would make sense, since you're all there at the beginning of the game, but you definitely don't have to limit yourself to Bree!) Once you have a consensus, briefly explain the how and why of what brought your PC there.

Relationships:

Maybe some of you knew each other beforehand. Maybe you just discovered a kindred soul upon meeting one of the PCs. In any case, each PC may choose another PC as his or her Fellowship focus (this doesn't have to be mutual). This is a PC that your character feels some special bond of friendship, affection, kinship, or duty.

Mechanically, you gain one point of Hope at the end of a session if your Fellowship focus was not Wounded, Poisoned, Miserable, or seriously harmed or distressed in any way and is in the same location as your PC. Also, if you spend a point of Hope on an action that directly helps or protects your focus and succeed, you get the point of Hope back.

The downside is that you gain a point of Shadow should your Fellowship focus be Wounded, and 3(!) if your focus dies.

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010
Galadir

"I've become eager to place distance between myself and Mirkwood. Many men and dwarves are returning to the Rhovanian now that Smaug and Bolg's army have been defeated and I feel a longing for more open spaces. I traveled west along the Old Forest Road, through the Misty Mountain, past the watchtower Amon Sûl, and to the small human town of Bree. There is an idyllic air here that I do not feel in the East. The people are kind and warm-hearted, but cautious around travelers. I was only meant to stay here for a moment to provision before I trekked north for Carn Dûm, but have remained for a curious fellowship I have made. I find myself among a company comprised from all the races of Middle Earth, and who each wish to strike out. I have decided to stay beside them for a time to offer my assistance. Their endeavors will certainly bring them into dangerous parts of Arda, and for my part I can assist them in retrieving their mysteries and treasures. Perhaps our travels will prove to be more than they appear. Perhaps our first step out of Bree will mark the beginning of an epic which will be sung in the halls of the Valar."

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Elle

"It just broke my heart when Astrid talked about her dad being like that, you know? No family's perfect, but everyone should at least care. So yeah, I'm sort of keeping an eye out for her, while we're doing this, thing, together.

"I guess it started with the Festival, since Astrid and Ithildin were having fun together, and Galadir and Vorna kind of glommed on. There are always outsiders in Bree, it's hardly backwater, but this seemed different to me. So I went over to see what was happening, and they were talking about fighting orcs and goblins and such. I asked if they were heading out any time soon, and naturally I got four answers, but basically the six of us (Fastolph saw a 'motley group, standing apart', and decided we needed some help) decided to make our way together, towards . . . actually, that part kinda got sidetracked. I'm sure it'll be interesting, though!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fastolph

"It was quite a stroke of fortune that as soon as I decided to plan my departure of my beloved Bree that a group of outsiders and one of the young ladies of the Hound's Den have gathered together during the festival and planned to leave for an expedition themselves. I wonder why the girl's keen on leaving, as their place isn't on the same kind of troubles as Toad Lodge, but who can know what the tall ones are thinking. In any case, it seems that none of them know how to make even a mince pie, and of course, I'm not very keen on the idea of having to stick some Orc bugger in the shins, so I'll try to make myself as useful as I can... As long as it's within my limitations."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ithildin

"I must admit that my time in Bree has been entirely more entertaining than my brothers and sisters would believe. The men and hobbits put on quite a spectacle, a celebration of the senses and life alike, seemingly for no other reason than that they can. I found common cause with several fellow revelers, including a daughter of Durin and one of my more... wayward kin. I dare say my comrades might raise eyebrows amongst those I have left behind. I know they raise mine from time to time."

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Astrid

"One important thing about being a traveling merchant is setting up connections wherever one goes. Which brings me to Bree - quite literally, in fact.

The eastern half of the continent serves me quite well enough with my home in Lake-Town, but since I wanted to travel west, I required a "home base", of sorts, out here. So I've spent a bit of time here. And yes, their drink is good and their people, while suspicious enough (a trait I must say I don't disapprove of entirely), are quite willing to be friendly and open once you get to know them. In fact, the little hamlet seems to be quite the place of import - like home it's had quite an influx of Dwarves, Elves, and Men - Hobbits too, this far west, which is exciting enough! In fact I've met quite a few like-minded individuals from near and far, all looking for adventure of their own stripes, and we've spent a fair amount of time talking about each others' interests and planning various expeditions into the wilderness. No big treasure yet, but it's only a matter of time, I suspect.

Of special note, I must confess, is the Lady Ithildin of Lórien. If you recall, I had briefly brought up my...ahem...misadventures in Mirkwood, which, truth be told has left a somewhat sour tang in my mouth when it comes to the word Elves, or at least, it did.

Ithildin is NOTHING like that, however, to my true delight. Affable, patient, wise, and, admittedly, ethereally beautiful. She is indeed the legends of Elves we are told as children come to life! Ah, if only Lórien was to the west of Esgaroth and not Mirkwood!

Nevertheless, I am quite content with my journey thus far - aside from the relative lack of profit, but there is of course, plenty of time."

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 14, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Vorna

"Right, so I'd set out from the Blue Mountains with every intention of rediscovering the ancient secrets of the clan fathers, but by the time I had got as far as Bree I realized that I didn't have the first notion of how to go about it. Certainly couldn't on my own, and going back to my mother's people and trying to mount an expedition didn't seem likely to work, so I took a few weeks to think the problem over and see what emerged. Fueled of course by the rather nice small beer that the Hobbits here brew. Good folk, if a little rustic.

"Some sort of local festival - I admit I didn't catch the specifics - has attracted a few rough and adventurous types that has provided a neat answer. We got to talking as well as drinking and a bit of music. We've agreed to set out together in the next few days (still deciding where) and who knows where our feet will take us? I feel hopeful that this is a good beginning."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I haven’t checked the Discord recently, but it looks like you sorted out the company details. So I think we’re good to start! I’ll set up the IC thread after I get back from work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I hope everything's all right, and if the game is still on I'd be happy to start even with delay.

Everyone okay out there? The Road can be pretty dangerous, after all.