Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Problem description:

Simply put, the computer does not power on completely.

When I turn the computer on, the fans turn on and the lights in the tower turn on. The DisplayPort monitor remains in standby. The USB mouse does not light up. The USB keyboard seems to turn on in part, with the F Lock light turning on and off. The HDD light on the tower flickers like the drive is in use. I do not see any BIOS screen or anything like that. So, my guess is that it's either stuck in a boot loop or simply not powering completely. Eventually, however, if I leave the computer in this state for maybe 10-15 minutes, it boots up and is at the Windows Login screen.

From then on, the whole computer is fine. There have been no hardware related issues. No overheating, no glitches, no crashes, blue screens, or sudden shutdowns. Everything works as it should. The system is about 4 years old and has had no issues and still runs quickly and overall works like the day I got it. If I leave the computer on, there are no issues. It is just the first stage of powering up the tower from being off.

If the computer restarts, same issue. If the computer has been off for a long time, same issue. If the computer has been on five minutes ago, same issue.

Attempted fixes: Checked hardware, cleaned system, used a different power outlet.All the hardware connections are fine and there is no visible damage or wear to any of the components. I'm thinking the issue is related to either the power supply or the motherboard CMOS battery, especially based on what I've been able to Google, but I'd rather cover all bases before I go buying and replacing anything.

Recent changes: Nothing beyond the usual Windows Update stuff.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit.

System specs:
Processor: i5-4590 3.30ghz
Mobo: ASRock H97M Pro4
Graphics: ASUS R9 280
RAM: 8GB
PSU: Antec 520
HDD: Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Answers seem to vary and the solutions they've supplied, such as loose RAM, don't seem to work. Neither does the commonly suggested solution of remove the power cable from the computer and hold the power button down for thirty seconds seem to have any effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, the PSU slowly failing would be a good bet.

It being a CMOS battery/other motherboard problem is also possible but less likely.

edit: You just have the one SSD right?

If you have HDDs connected I'd run CDI to check their health: https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/70295/CrystalDiskInfo8_0_0.exe/

Zogo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 2, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Seems like it was a worst-case scenario: motherboard failure. :suicide:

• Locked thread