Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

stratofarius posted:

Whoever chose 'The Whole Being Dead Thing' for Beetlejuice's performance needs to take another listen to that cast album. 'Beautiful Sound' would have been much better.

At the same time, "Adam Driver, you killed Han Solo! Not cool man!" Wouldn't have fit the song so I think they chose right.

The Prom had the best performance of the night in my super biased opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Caught both Six and Betrayal at the West End a few months ago. Both terrific, both coming to Broadway soon. Six was brilliant but I can’t imagine it without British accents, and I still can’t believe how Pinter and cast made me deeply care about those insufferable toffs.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

It's a little late, but PBS is airing "The King and I."

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I saw the tour of Dear Evan Hansen the other night.
I was blown away by how good it was. I had listened to the score once like a year ago and it seemed fine, but in the context of the show it was really, really good.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
DEH was great, but I'm afraid that it's going to wind up being like Rent; great music, painfully dated.

Just booked tickets for Miss Saigon when it hits Toronto in May. My kids love it, we have the Blu-ray of the London west end 25th anniversary show.

Also, I'm super stoked to be playing Pablo in a community theater production of Sister Act.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Saw The Band’s Visit last night. Really wonderful, unique musical. Highly recommend if you get the opportunity to see it. Phenomenal.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

garthoneeye posted:

I saw the tour of Dear Evan Hansen the other night.
I was blown away by how good it was. I had listened to the score once like a year ago and it seemed fine, but in the context of the show it was really, really good.

Finally, someone else saw DEH! We saw it at The Kennedy Center in August. I loved Mike Faist as Connor but Marrick Smith really grew on me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DEH is great and I’m on record saying it was more enjoyable than Hamilton, which were both on the same season here.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I wanted to like DEH, but the more I thought about the plot the more unhappy I was with the relatively happy ending. He pulls a stunt that in reality would shatter a family, and the only real consequence is that he loses his girlfriend. If you’re going to tackle serious subject matter then don’t pander to the audience.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

in_cahoots posted:

I wanted to like DEH, but the more I thought about the plot the more unhappy I was with the relatively happy ending. He pulls a stunt that in reality would shatter a family, and the only real consequence is that he loses his girlfriend. If you’re going to tackle serious subject matter then don’t pander to the audience.

I think the idea is “hey kids, you can survive being shamed on social media, don’t kill yourself.”

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

I think the idea is “hey kids, you can survive being shamed on social media, don’t kill yourself.”

Who had to survive being shamed on social media? The Murphys?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The current touring production of Once On This Island is fantastic. A truly excellent revival.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

garthoneeye posted:

Who had to survive being shamed on social media? The Murphys?

Nah, Evan.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Tour of The Play That Goes Wrong worth it?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Remulak posted:

YES! Hilarious, highly recommend.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Evan wasn't shamed on social media. The letter is released, the internet turns on the Murphy's, Evan confesses to the Murphy's, and they don't reveal his duplicity.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Remulak posted:

I love this play and it’s a shame their follow-up things haven’t been anywhere near as good.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone seen the Back to the Future musical that opened in Manchester? I liked what little I heard on their Youtube channel, and a few people I follow on Twitter liked it (including Captain Disillusion). I have a trip to the UK coming up in March and I'm sorely tempted to take an entire day off from my own vacation in London just to have a day trip to Manchester.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Escobarbarian posted:

I love this play and it’s a shame their follow-up things haven’t been anywhere near as good.

I liked Peter Pan. Christmas Carol though... I think it was the TV-based framing instead of a stage show that broke it for me. There's less of a "just roll with it" spirit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

I liked Peter Pan. Christmas Carol though... I think it was the TV-based framing instead of a stage show that broke it for me. There's less of a "just roll with it" spirit.

Peter Pan is their second best thing, yeah, but The Comedy About A Bank Robbery was awful and their recent show, while it had some good jokes involving sets, repeated a lot of the same gags over and over.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I just saw Come From Away. Holy poo poo! This show is ridiculously good. I just knew the barest bones of the premise and had heard a couple of songs before seeing the show and I was completely blown away. Well worth seeing if you get a chance.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Since there is not a musical thread in NMD, I have not seen these musicals but I have listened to the recordings and really enjoyed them

Waitress
Hadestown
American in Paris
Prom

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Waitress owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

esperterra posted:

Waitress owns.

It really really does. Kimiko has an incredibly powerful voice. I love "It Only Takes a Taste" and "When he sees me"

Sara Bareilles is such a fantastic song writer. I just started listening to album she did performing songs from Waitress.

Edit: Found out it is touring near me! Bought tickets to see it. This is my first live musical to see.:3:

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 6, 2020