Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The Greek team mascot is "The Goy in a Boy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a handy list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_sports_team_and_mascot_names

There's so many secondary schools in the US that used first nations names for their sporting teams or mascots that they got their own Wikipedia page, and it's a long one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_secondary_school_sports_team_names_and_mascots_derived_from_indigenous_peoples
Lol yeah that's the stuff.

I think there's a certain undertone of fearsome martial tradition, if perceived one at that (Tartars/Aztecs/Vikings/Vandals/Spartans etc) but not going for the most racist stereotype as a mascot would probably help.

I'm a little surprised at complete lack of Jewish teams tho. New York Samsons or something like that? That's not even racist.

My main background is in eastern europe and while I didn't really watch a whole lot of sports, it seemed that all the teams (especially from USSR era) were named after industries and not much else.

Edit Ok yeah Israeli team but that's cheating.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Coachella Valley HS Arabs (changed in 2014)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Robert E. Lee High School in Midland is the last one in Texas that still goes by "Rebels", irrc. There are a few other Robert E. Lee High Schools in the state, but they've all changed their mascots to something else.

The former Robert E. Lee HS in San Antonio changed its name to Legacy of Educational Excellence (LEE) High School.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 31, 2018

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

General Dog posted:

Lmao that's fucken awful. I guess the cheerleaders do whitegirl belly dancing?

This thread is breaking my mind.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo, the Colorado Rocky Mountain school nicknamed their team The Oysters. (Rocky mountain oysters are fried bulls testicles)

Students who win the Oystermeister sports challenge are awarded with this trophy:

There's lots of weird sports team names & mascots in this article:
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/sports/gallery/2012/12/10/strangest-team-names-and-mascots-in-sports/1759685/

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Holy poo poo, the Colorado Rocky Mountain school nicknamed their team The Oysters. (Rocky mountain oysters are fried bulls testicles)

Students who win the Oystermeister sports challenge are awarded with this trophy:

There's lots of weird sports team names & mascots in this article:
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/sports/gallery/2012/12/10/strangest-team-names-and-mascots-in-sports/1759685/

That is nuts

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

General Dog posted:

.... and that was only because the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee sent them a letter in 2013 politely asking them "Hey, could you not?"

This used to be their old team logo:

Note that they didn't change the name of their team, they just dropped the mascot costume and changed their logo to this:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lmao that's fucken awful. I guess the cheerleaders do whitegirl belly dancing?

Apparently they called it "the Genie dance"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psdp6dsq-z4

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

We were also the Rebels...at my upstate NY high school. Though for some reason our mascot was a cowboy with drawn revolvers. They took his revolvers away post-Columbine.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

.... and that was only because the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee sent them a letter in 2013 politely asking them "Hey, could you not?"

Note that they didn't change the name of their team, they just dropped the mascot costume and changed their logo to this:

thats actually a photorealistic rendering of the iron sheik

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ah, so they switched their mascot from a saudi to an iranian

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

These guys must have had a helluva time in early 2000s. Not defending their pretty hosed imagery but it's like calling your team Hitlers, esp around 2001.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

curlys gold posted:

thats actually a photorealistic rendering of the iron sheik

He looks kind of like Boris Badenov with a fuller mustache.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

These guys must have had a helluva time in early 2000s. Not defending their pretty hosed imagery but it's like calling your team Hitlers, esp around 2001.

"The Gestapo" would be a pretty boss team name

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

General Dog posted:

Florida Fuhrers

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Glendale HS Desert Foxes

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh well, at least everyone learned a lesson and realised that it was a bad idea to have a sterotypical Middle Eastern guy in a turban as their wacky sport mascot.

Oh wait, it looks like the Prince Albert Raiders didn't get the memo, they premiered this new mascot costume a few months after that whole Coachella Valley Arabs thing was in the news:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/junior-hockey-teams-new-arabian-raider-mascot-sparks-controversy/

They retired him soon after and brought in this totally new, no really, shut up mascot the following year:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My HS were the Southside Rebels. Mascot was Johnny Reb, either a confederate soldier or maybe plantation owner. The chant at football games was "The South shall rise tonight!" At least confederate flags were banned at games in the early 00s.

This wood sculpture adorned the entryway for a few decades:

They've since changed to the Mavericks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

General Dog posted:

Nicholls State University in Louisiana was named after a Confederate general and for years their mascot was Colonel Tillou:

It was retired in 2004 and after six years of debate they finally settled on a new design:

:raise:

People complained for years that it looked like a Nazi soldier so last year they redesigned the mascot and now he has a friendlier face and he wears camo army fatigues or a red jersey

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

The Nicholls State M Bisons

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

All you guys with rebels need to sit down, because I have the winner. South Spencer High School Rebels in Indiana:

edit: they changed to this as their "SS" logo a while back

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Indiana also has this

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Peanut President posted:

All you guys with rebels need to sit down, because I have the winner. South Spencer High School Rebels in Indiana:

edit: they changed to this as their "SS" logo a while back

Looks like they kept the mascot though, their official Twitter feed still has this as their avatar:

It used to be much more obviously a Confederate soldier but it looks like they toned it down a little from the original design:

The mascot costume is still pretty blatant, this is the current header on the school website:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 31, 2018

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The Berkeley mascot was insanely creepy. Glad to see the standford one was lovely too.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I always liked the Demon Deacons iconography after Tim Duncan brought them to the fore.

General Dog posted:

Full disclosure- I realize why it's no longer tenable in the present day, but just a piece of graphic design I adore Chief Wahoo.

It's really clean and a great image. Plus it reminds me of Major League.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 1, 2019

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The rebel mascot is an easy fix, just change the civil war soldier to a revolutionary war soldier.

Columbine HS did this from the get-go

Though now it's problematic for a whole other reason. Eric Harris adopted the nickname "Reb" after the mascot, and detailed sneaking out and doing vandalism on his blog, naming it "rebel missions".

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

The_Franz posted:

My highschool was the southernmost school in the district and had a southern theme: the mascot was a confederate soldier, the unofficial logo was a confederate flag and as a whole they were called "the rebels". When there was a special event going on people would paint the southern cross on their face, wear the confederate flag as a cape and the student parking lots were a sea of confederate flags painted on cars and flying from windows.

Even many years ago when I was there they were talking about changing it, but according to google they still haven't done it.

CloFan posted:

My HS were the Southside Rebels. Mascot was Johnny Reb, either a confederate soldier or maybe plantation owner. The chant at football games was "The South shall rise tonight!" At least confederate flags were banned at games in the early 00s.

This wood sculpture adorned the entryway for a few decades:

They've since changed to the Mavericks.

Lol my high school was the same. We weren't even south in the district, we were West. It was in Tennessee though. I think they had stopped using the Confederate flag at least but I remember there was a controversy where the drum line had custom shirts printed with the Confederate flag on the back and the school made them cover them up.
Also "rebel yell" apparently was the fight song at some point before I went there which is kinda hilarious as it's clearly about loving

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

My high school was just the boring old Buttbears, but a nearby town was called the Comets. Their logo was the Fighting Comet designed by an alum and he looked like this.

At some point in the 80s probably, a group of hysterical conservative fundie idiots decided the fighting comet looked too much like :siren::gizz: A SPERM :gizz::siren: and forced the school to change it to a lifeless letter C. If it had been an overtly racist caricature, those same people would be fighting to preserve it to this day, but since it was something their deeply repressed imaginations deemed remotely related to sex, the comet had to go. While googling the image of the logo, I discovered there is a Facebook group dedicated to overturning that decision and restoring the original comet. Good luck.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I would buy an album with that as the art

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Butt Comets...

there once was a man named Bass
his nuts were made outta brass
he banged them together
to play stormy weather
while comets shot out of his rear end

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ralph Hurley posted:

My high school was just the boring old Buttbears, but a nearby town was called the Comets. Their logo was the Fighting Comet designed by an alum and he looked like this.

At some point in the 80s probably, a group of hysterical conservative fundie idiots decided the fighting comet looked too much like :siren::gizz: A SPERM :gizz::siren: and forced the school to change it to a lifeless letter C. If it had been an overtly racist caricature, those same people would be fighting to preserve it to this day, but since it was something their deeply repressed imaginations deemed remotely related to sex, the comet had to go. While googling the image of the logo, I discovered there is a Facebook group dedicated to overturning that decision and restoring the original comet. Good luck.

Fighting Cummets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

General Dog posted:

Well, this guy was the logo for the Cleveland Indians until *checks notes* two months ago.

Full disclosure- I realize why it's no longer tenable in the present day, but just a piece of graphic design I adore Chief Wahoo.

i have a monochrome black and white cleveland indians cap an exgirlfriend gave me

i wear it when i feel like a need a good asskicking in public

edit: